Weekend News Bytes 14 March 09 - 15 March 09

MJJC Twitter

Proud Member
Haters are eatin' crow this weekend!! The King of Pop has sold out all 50 shows @ the O2 arena.

news

Michael Jackson's 50 concerts sell out in five hours

Hundreds of thousands of tickets to Michael Jackson's 50 London concerts sold out within five hours Friday, Reuters reports, quoting the pop singer's promoter.

Some fans had waited in line to buy tickets since Wednesday.

The July concerts will be Jackson's first since the reclusive 50-year-old singer was acquitted on child abuse charges in 2005.

The Associated Press reports that 360,000 advance tickets sold out earlier in the week, and that an additional 500,000 tickets were made available Friday.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/03/michael-jackson.html

Michael Jackson's 50 London concerts sell out

By LAURA NICHOLS – 3 hours ago

LONDON (AP) — Tickets for Michael Jackson's 50 London concerts sold out within hours of becoming available, organizers said Friday.

For Ayesha Obi — who, having waited since Wednesday, was first in line — the experience was a thriller.

"He is a legend and I love his message to the world," Obi, a 19-year-old student said outside the O2 Arena in south London. "I've been hoping that he would perform live again."

The shows are scheduled to kick off in July and stretch into February. The pop singer has said the series, entitled "This is It," will be his last in the British capital.

After 360,000 advance tickets sold out earlier this week, roughly 500,000 tickets were made available Friday, organizers said. Hundreds of people waited outside the arena for the chance to buy them.

"I have come 150 miles just for this," said Lee Middleton, a 34-year-old construction worker from Liverpool, in northwest England. "We have made some very interesting friends waiting in line. ... People were singing his songs and dancing."

Tickets were priced between 50 pounds and 75 pounds ($70 and $105) — but some were went for hundreds of pounds (dollars) on internet auction sites.

While Jackson has said the shows will be his last in London, there has been speculation they could be part of a world tour. Jackson, who has sold more than 750 million albums and won 13 Grammys, hasn't undertaken a a major tour since 1997 or released an album of new material since 2001.

The 50-year-old singer has been seen in public infrequently since he was acquitted of child molestation in California in 2005. He has struggled to pay his debts, and was forced last year to give up the deed to Neverland, his 2,500-acre (1,000-hectare) ranch and miniature amusement park in California.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hF2PrhUDd8zK1EmLb7ceTyIwzq_QD96T63481

Bloomberg: Michael Jackson Sells Out 50 Concerts in London

March 13 (Bloomberg) -- Michael Jackson sold out 50 planned concerts at London’s 02 arena less than five hours after the tickets went on sale.

Around 1 million tickets for the concerts in July and next January had sold out by 11:45 a.m., after going on sale at 7 a.m., said a spokeswoman for Outside Organisation, publicists for AEG Live, which operates the O2.

Jackson fans swamped the Ticketmaster Web site today and stood in line though the night outside the arena. The Ticketmaster Web site also said the concerts were a sell-out.

The 50-year-old “King of Pop” will play the 20,000-seat venue near Docklands. The 02 has hosted comebacks by artists such as Prince, who staged 21 concerts, and was the venue of the Led Zeppelin reunion in 2007.

There are no plans to add extra dates in London, the promoters said. About 360,000 tickets were bought in the presale period that ended last night, with 33 seats sold each minute.

The shows will start on July 8 and run through September before resuming in January and February of 2010.

EBay Tickets

While tickets were announced as costing between 50 pounds ($70.68) and 75 pounds, plus a booking fee, the Jackson site also points at Viagogo’s site with prices of about 500 pounds for a pair. Tickets are appearing on EBay at 3,620 pounds a pair.

The singer, who has sold more than 750 million records and won 13 Grammy Awards, agreed to debt refinancing in 2006 to stave off bankruptcy. In 2005, he was cleared of charges of molesting a 13-year-old boy. His last series of concerts was the HIStory Tour in 1996-1997 and his last studio album was “Invincible” in 2001.

Jackson also has released greatest-hits compilations, such as “King of Pop” to mark his 50th birthday, and new editions of his bestselling albums, such as “Thriller 25,” on the 25th anniversary of that record’s release.

The singer hasn’t said whether he plans concerts elsewhere.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aenEpsddrKS8&refer=uk

Michael Jackson set for X Factor?

Michael Jackson is apparently being lined up to appear on The X Factor.

The reality show's boss Simon Cowell is making it a priority to get the King of Pop on one of the live shows, reports the Daily Mirror.

In the last series of the popular show, stars including Britney Spears, Mariah Carey and Beyonce all made appearances and Simon is keen to add ***** to that list. A source said: "Britney was a massive coup for Cowell. But he's determined to raise the bar even higher and secure Jackson's services. He is perhaps one of the few artists who could outshine Britney."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jWmO8zdg_qL4S3sTPomG0RvGQW2g

Michael Jackson Auction Can Move Forward, For Now:

LOS ANGELES—Plans to auction off more than 2,000 of Michael Jackson's personal items can move forward—for now.

Attorneys for MJJ Productions, which sued an auction house last week claiming it had no right to sell Jackson's possessions, has filed documents in court allowing auction plans to proceed until April 3, when the original lawsuit is set to be heard.

Attorneys for Julien's Auction House and founder Darren Julien jointly filed the document Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

"They've agreed for us to continue to promote the exhibit and auction," said Julien, adding that he "hopes and expects" that Jackson's team will honor their original contract and allow the auction to be held April 21 as scheduled.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11898622

Mentionings

No Mentionings for today! We have plenty news so who needs em? LOL! You can check out our twitter page: http://www.twitter.com/mjjcommunity.

Also check out the new pics of MJ shopping in LA http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61100

Today in Michael Jackson History

1976 - The Jackson 5 moved from Motown to Epic Records. They also changeed their name to the Jackson's.

2001 - Janet Jackson was honored at the inaugural mtvICON show. Destiny's Child, Macy Gray, OutKast and 'N Sync performed Janet Jackson songs during the show.

2003 - A Santa Barbara County jury ruled that Michael Jackson must pay Marcel Avram $5.3 million for backing out of two concerts on New Year's Eve 1999.

Michael Jackson Quote

Get me out
Into the night-time
Four walls won't hold me tonight
If this town
Is just an apple
Then let me take a bite
- Michael Jackson, Human Nature

Happy Birthday To You!

Members celebrating birthdays today are:

moongod7158(26), melsy_welsy(21), Panther (30)

Re: Weekend News Bytes 14 Feb 09 - 15 Feb 09

Jackson's Tears Of Joy As O2 Shows Sell Out

Michael Jackson cried with happiness when he found out all 50 of his comeback shows have completely sold out, his concert organiser told Sky News.

Tickets for the This Is It gigs at the O2 Arena were snapped up within a few hours of going on general sale.

Shortly afterwards the head of AEG Live spoke to Jackson on the phone to pass on the news.

Randy Phillips told Sky News: "He was crying. I could hear it in his voice – he was choked up."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-N...On_General_Sale

MJJC TV! Our very own news channel!

Michael Jackson News for March 14, 2009:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...FD6EE-BC22-4A8C-B62E-08A1F176323A}&dist=msr_1

Promoter hints at new Jackson dance move

Last update: 1:05 p.m. EDT March 14, 2009

LONDON, Mar 14, 2009 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Music promoter Randy Phillips says U.S. singer Michael Jackson may unveil a new dance move during his upcoming performances in London.
Phillips, Anschutz Entertainment Group Live's chief executive, said the "Thriller" singer has been working on a dance move he could reveal for the first time during one of his 50 scheduled performances at London's O2 Arena, The Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.
"He's working on a new move. Something like the Moonwalk, but different," Phillips said, referring to Jackson's signature dance move.
Phillips also downplayed rumors Jackson decided on the London performances after struggling financially.
"I asked him straight off: why say yes to the tour now? Was it the money? He said 'You know what? My kids are old enough now,'" Phillips said.
Phillips said Jackson, who has three children, should earn at least $50 million.
The AEG official, whose company operates the O2 Arena, told the Telegraph the concerts are a "risk" for AEG.
"We're not in this for the money," he said. "We're taking a huge risk on Michael. Forgetting tickets, the local economy will get $500 million."

[URL="http://www.upi.com"]www.upi.com[/URL]
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=amyI72a1_6Vo&refer=uk

Michael Jackson Concert Insurance Not Arranged, Telegraph Says

Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Jon Menon
March 14 (Bloomberg) -- AEG Live UK Ltd., the promoter behind Michael Jackson’s concerts at London’s O2 arena, hasn’t been able to arrange a full cancellation policy with insurers, the Daily Telegraph reported, citing an interview with Chief Executive Officer Randy Phillips.
The London-based company is still negotiating with insurers and is willing to take on the risk of Jackson, 50, falling ill during the seven-month concert schedule which begins in July, the newspaper said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Jon Menon in London at jmenon1@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: March 14, 2009 09:03 EDT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...s-promoter-is-making-all-the-right-moves.html
Randy Phillips profile: Michael Jackson's promoter is making all the right moves

"He's 50 but he's going to dance his ass off," says the confident, quick-talking Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live and promoter of acts from Britney Spears and Prince

Randy-Phillips_1366273c.jpg
Randy Phillips is President and CEO of AEG Live.

jackson_1365535c.jpg
Michael Jackson during a press conference to announce his comeback tour at the o2 Photo: JANE MINGAY

jackson_queues_1365613c.jpg
Crowds queue for Michael Jackson tickets which went on sale at 7am at the O2 Arena in London Photo: PA

This is the man who persuaded Michael Jackson, that elusive, reclusive eccentric, to return as the King of Pop for a tour at AEG's O2 venue, the ex-Millennium Dome. "He's working on a new move. Something like the Moonwalk, but different."
Phillips clearly understands how to whet the appetite of Jackson's scrums of fans. More than 250,000 joined the online queue, with 800 turning up to the O2 itself to get seats for the 50 dates.

Watching him order tea at the Dorchester Hotel, Phillips has the neurotic chatter of a Woody Allen.
"I've gotta have Dorchester blend with honey and skim milk, right? And multigrain sandwiches... salmon, egg and maybe a few chicken," he says.
This precise, organisational mastermind has kicked up a global ticketing storm just four months after a high-pitched "yes" was uttered from Jackson's pinched lips. The pair go back 15 years – they lost touch, but after the promoter joined AEG he made a "hit list" of acts to entice. Jackson was at the top.
"We finally made Mohammed come to the mountain of the O2," Phillips grins. Jackson refused twice, but several months ago, the idea arose as the superstar was putting together a restructuring plan for his finances. Not hat we should believe rumours that Jackson is struggling, after spending a fortune on security and lawyers after his famous child abuse trial – which ended with his acquittal.
"They make out Michael's finances are much more dire than they are," Phillips assures me. But he needed the cash, right? "I asked him straight off: why say yes to the tour now? Was it the money? He said: you know what, my kids are old enough now." Jackson agreed to do 10 dates for AEG, before relenting to 40 more. The star "worships" London, but plans to stay in a country house where his children can play. If any Daily Telegraph readers have a plush rural pad for rent, Phillips wants to know.
He estimates Jackson will make $50m-$100m from the London dates. This could rise to $500m if he does a world tour.
So how much is AEG getting out of this? Phillips laughs. "We're not in this for the money. We're taking a huge risk on Michael. Forgetting tickets, the local economy will get $500m."
Things haven't gone entirely seamlessly for AEG since they put their money behind Jackson. Most tickets are being sold straight to fans for £50-£75. But AEG claims its premium ticket partner, Viagogo offered seats for re-sale in bulk, allowing touts and other re-sellers to push up prices. A court has now ordered Viagogo to stop selling to anyone not believed to be an individual fan, until a further hearing.
Another potential hitch is that they do not yet have insurance covering Jackson's appearance at all 50 gigs – but Phillips insists any risk will be worth it.
"If Mike gets too nervous to go on, I'll throw him over my shoulder and carry him on stage. He's light enough."
In recent days, there has been furious speculation about Jackson's health, which Phillips dismisses. "Making up rumours about Michael Jackson is a cottage industry," he exclaims. "We were having dinner when I got a Google alert that he had a flesh-eating disease. He was sitting opposite, healthy as ever."
Among the other urban myths he demolishes: ***** is not as weird as I may think, but a devoted parent, and though famed for Jesus-like shows, "not a confident person".
Jackson's nerves aside, the deal could have been off if Phil Anschutz, the billionaire behind AEG had not taken to him.
"Phil had to give me permission to spend all this money. I joke that I'm going to make him a millionaire – from a billionaire." Anschutz has been described as prickly, but Phillips says he is "respectful, a good listener and brilliant".
Anschutz built up his empire from property and launched AEG to take on the force of Live Nation: its corporate nemesis.
"We are under assault by an 800lb gorilla called Live Nation, planning to merge with Ticketmaster. It's not good, but we are there doing better."
AEG is certainly putting its all into making the tour superlative. Hiring Kenny Ortega, the man behind High School Musical, booking superstar guest appearances, putting money into a new 3D film of Thriller and developing new technology to make it a historical spectacle.
"Now we have the biggest artist in the world at the best arena in the best city," Phillips declares, digesting the news that 750,000 tickets have sold out in five hours. He has the satisfied look of a man who has just pulled off an inconceivably ambitious plan.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Nik-will-moonwalk-on-air.5072520.jp

Nik will moonwalk on air if he can get tickets

1pixel_spacer.gif

« Previous
« Previous

Next »
Next »

View Gallery

Published Date: 14 March 2009
By Asha Mehta

HE'S seen his idol play live a whopping nine times, has amassed three rooms' worth of memorabilia about him and has even met his icon twice.
So you may think Michael Jackson super-fan Nik Tooke would have easily secured tickets for the King of Pop’s comeback tour in London.

But although Nik, from Ramsey, registered for four pre-sale tickets through the fanclub at £25 each, a computer glitch meant he could not get through in time to buy them

And he was devastated to find out that they had all been sold when he called the ticket company.

But the telesales worker is determined to be in the front row of the O2 arena when Michael Jackson plays his 50-date residency, beginning in July.

He is now on a desperate search for tickets and is willing to pay more than £200 each.

He said: “Touts are selling them for £2,000 a ticket on eBay. It’s so unfair. I was so upset, I actually cried.

“I am hoping to buy four tickets from a friend at £200 each. I will try to be there.”

Michael Jackson fever has gripped the globe since the megastar announced his concert dates – his first since 1997.

But for Nik, he has been passionate about his hero all his life.

The first time he met Jackson was in 1997 backstage at Wembley Arena after winning a competition.

He said: “I went to see him with a group of fans. He said hello and gave me a hug.”

He also rubbed shoulders with him in 1999, in Munich, with a group of friends outside a hotel the superstar was staying in.

Nik has also collected a staggering amount of merchandise connected with the star – everything from a Moonwalk chocolate bar to a replica of the trousers he wore in the video for Bad.

Amazingly, he claims he even dances like the pop legend.

He said he stayed loyal to his idol through the all the child abuse allegations because of the power of his music.

“Also, I lost my dad in a car crash when I was three. He always used to play Michael Jackson’s music and watch his videos, and it reminds me of him.”

Michael Jackson HIStory for March 14, 2009:
1990 - Michael Jackson won the Silver Award as the 1980s Artist Of The Decade at the fourth annual Soul Train Music Awards.

ackson's Tears Of Joy As O2 Shows Sell Out 2:51pm UK, Friday March 13, 009

Michael Jackson cried with happiness when he found out all 50 of his comeback shows have completely sold out, his concert organiser told Sky News.

Tickets for the This Is It gigs at the O2 Arena were snapped up within a few hours of going on general sale.

Shortly afterwards the head of AEG Live spoke to Jackson on the phone to pass on the news.

Randy Phillips told Sky News: "He was crying. I could hear it in his voice – he was choked up."

Thousands of people queued through the night outside the O2, with many more jamming phone lines and websites.

Several hundred tickets were immediately put on the online auction site eBay for up to £1,500 each.

Ava Zadkhorvash and Ayesha Obi were first in the queue at the O2 and secured tickets shortly after they went on sale at 7am.

The pair, both from London, had been waiting in line since Wednesday evening to make sure they got the chance to see their idol.

Sky News entertainment editor Jon Bennett said that the scale of the ticket sales is unprecedented - but the hard work for Jackson is far from over.

"We're into unchartered waters here," he said.

"A performer has never attempted to sell this many dates for an arena of this size - let alone managed to sell them out."

But Bennett questioned the star's ability to perform so many concerts.

He said: "This is a 50-year-old man who - unlike his peers Madonna and Prince - has not performed for more than a decade.

"He has a huge task ahead of him and it will be intriguing to see if he can complete the most important part of what is potentially the biggest comeback in entertainment history."

Jackson originally planned to play 10 dates between July 8 and 28, but organisers extended the run to 50 shows ending on February 24, 2010.

An estimated one million people will now be able to see the so-called King of Pop perform at the 20,000-capacity venue.

Half the seats, priced between £50 and £75, had already been sold online to people who had obtained a presale code.

A technical glitch caused by the huge demand affected many people who tried to buy presale tickets through Ticketmaster.

"We have witnessed an unprecedented level of demand for the Michael Jackson concerts at the O2," said managing director Chris Edmonds.

Jackson has been a virtual recluse since being cleared of child abuse charges in 2005 and has not toured for 12 years.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-N...On_General_Sale

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vi...nt_Region_1&lid=VIDEO_15241152_sky-news-video

Jackson 'Choked Up' By Sellout

CEO of AEG live, Randy Phillips, has been speaking to Sky News about the forthcoming Michael Jackson concerts. He also speaks about Jackson bursting into tears when he heard the concerts have sold out.

spacer.gif

Last edited:
"Now we have the biggest artist in the world at the best arena in the best city" !!!

that's what I keep...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNgagIe3t0g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNgagIe3t0g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object></EMBED>

Michael Jackson too thrilling for insurance companies? No one wants to risk covering his concerts!

Michael Jackson may have sold out his London concerts, but insurance companies fear the tour may be too much of a thriller.

Promoter AEG Live is having trouble lining up an insurer to cover a seven-month run by the famously frail pop star, London's Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.

AEG has lined up insurance for the first 10 dates, but may be forced to self-insure the rest of the performances at the O2 arena between July and February.

Chief executive Randy Phillips said he isn't worried.

"The insurance brokers sent doctors and they spend five hours with him, taking blood tests. He's a vegetarian, he's in great shape," he said.

"We would be prepared to self-insure to make up the dates. It's a risk we're willing to take to bring the King of Pop to his fans."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...michael_jackson_too_thrilling_for_insura.html

thanks for the news fron our top flight news team. and God bless the humanly insecure and amazing King of Pop. leave it to his magic to make a simple youtube vid with randy phillips talking over mitm inst sound to bring tears to my eyes. as randy spoke, once again you can see that MJ brings the fun back to people and the innocent feeling of why randy got into the business. when peeps are around MJ, their smiles are real. and getting those tickets was better than winning the lotto.

This is awesome awesome stuff.
I'm SO HAPPY FOR HIM!!!

WOW I'M GOING TO A MICHAEL JACKSON CONCERT!!!

And lol at the new dance move thing - is this true? That would be awesomeeee!!

intresting interview with randy on sky but tbh i think he was talking abit to much about mjs money.going into things that he really shouldnt be going into with the press. i guess mj fans are in general suspicious because of all the ppl around mj. but i dont really like this randy guy. and him going on about the vip tickets and 4 per person its all about the $ and screw the fans.

intresting that he said barrack is only a minority owner in the ranch

intresting interview with randy on sky but tbh i think he was talking abit to much about mjs money.going into things that he really shouldnt be going into with the press.
I feel the same.
I hate when media are so nosy about Michaels money. Why they don't investigate Madonna and her finances? I doubt everything is so great for her or any other star.

This is awesome awesome stuff.
I'm SO HAPPY FOR HIM!!!

WOW I'M GOING TO A MICHAEL JACKSON CONCERT!!!

And lol at the new dance move thing - is this true? That would be awesomeeee!!

congratulations! have a wonderful time.:yes:

intresting interview with randy on sky but tbh i think he was talking abit to much about mjs money.going into things that he really shouldnt be going into with the press. i guess mj fans are in general suspicious because of all the ppl around mj. but i dont really like this randy guy. and him going on about the vip tickets and 4 per person its all about the $ and screw the fans.

intresting that he said barrack is only a minority owner in the ranch

Elusive, where did you hear Randy Phillips say this? I just watched the video and I didn't hear him talk about Neverland at all? Can you please respond?

this is such a good time for michael and all us fans who have been there through the hard times and we can all finally feel so happy that michael is so happy in life he wants to perform for US.........i feel so honoured im going to see him coz after the trial i thought that may not happen because michael has taken so much crap over the years he may have just said ''ya know what if there not gonna gimme a 2nd chance or be civil f**k them'' but he has taken his time got mentally strong and is back because of our love and support all these years so let sit back and enjoy these good times!!

Yesterday they showed a short report about MJ: No word that the concerts are outsold (why bother to mention?) and also they said he does less than 50 concerts. As if it would hurt to tell the truth sometimes. Also they let Annie Lennox talk: She called hím a freak and freakish. Amazing that they always talk to people who not even know MJ.
The reports on CNN were much more truthful.

Michael Jackson News for March 15, 2009:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hnNrHxU6w1f0YW0EE5JVJZEC6SRQ

Jackson fans flock to exhibition
42 minutes ago
The world preview of hundreds of items owned by Michael Jackson has attracted more than 25,000 visitors to Co Kildare.
As Jackson fans from around the world snapped up tickets for a series of shows planned at the O2 in London, thousands flew in to Ireland to catch a glimpse of the king of pop's trademark wardrobe.
Martin Nolan, co-owner of LA-based Julien's Auctions, plans to put thousands of items from Jackson's Neverland Ranch under the hammer next month. The Athlone-born man said he is grateful for people's support while a lawsuit threatening to pull the plug on the auction rumbles on.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5040-NY-M...el-Jackson-proves-he-is-still-the-King-of-Pop

Michael Jackson proves he is still the King of Pop

Michael Jackson is still as popular as ever - Spongebob pajamas or not.
The King of Pop recently sold out 50 London shows in 5 hours, with a total of 750,000 tickets sold at the rate of 11 tickets per second. His comeback performances will begin On July 8th, 2009 and run until February 24th, 2010.
Although Big Mike hasn't actively been promoting his music since 2001, there is obviously no love lost for the star. The shows were announced shortly after plans of a broadway show based on "Thriller" seemed to go sour, as filmmaker John Landis filed a breach of contract lawsuit as a result of not receiving adequate profits from the creation of the work. News of the tour may seem like a shock to many, as it was rumoured that Jackson was ailing and that he was recently making arrangements to finalize his will.
Based on the profits of the 50 London shows, it is said that Jackson may also consider bringing the tour to the U.S. We only hope that the fans are the ones fainting, and not the 50-year-old Jackson. Mikey, are you OK?

Michael Jackson HIStory for March 15, 2009:

2004 - In Australia, an interview with Lisa Marie Presley was broadcast in which she said that she had seen things she "couldn't do anything about" during her marriage to Michael Jackson. She clarified her remarks two days later and included that she had never seen Jackson engage in inappropriate behavior with kids.

Annie Lennox did? well the respect I had for her is gone.... much like her career i suppose. :)

Me too. And to think I was going to buy her latest project. I'm very disappointed in her. I'm not saying that she has to like Michael. But still, to get on TV and call him names like that is disgraceful.

Last edited:
Back