Wembley DVD Critique /Quality and other prefered concerts over Wembley go here

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality - All discussion on the quality of Wembley DVD go here

They can't find the Umatic's for the 16th. We don't know if they have the Umatic's for the other Wembley dates.

Mixing the audio from the 16th with video from another date would not be authentic.

We do since that article. There are others from 16th and 15th. They can't find it in their archives and storage, but what about other sources?

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality - All discussion on the quality of Wembley DVD go here

And the angles in wembley are really not good. thats why jumbotrons feeds are not good for releases. but thats what we wanted. unedited, straight video. just like 'in-house' audio recording its not usefull, so is on 'in time' video not too. thats what many don't realize and feel they missing and this is not authentic.

That's the word I was looking for. I was thinking how to describe it. It's not authentic at all! This is all true. I am more looking forward to the audio then the video honestly. Hopefully it's proper mix and we can make our own mix and raise certain instruments and that good stuff. And I don't know why many fans want that. It's really not that great....

I am more looking forward to the audio then the video honestly.

Same I do :) I'm more excited about the multitracks of the show than the video. I probably would not if the quality was better...

I've enjoyed a lot worse quality MJ footage. I'll enjoy this concert probably more than any other I've seen. Hopefully the film reels are found and released, but it won't happen in the short term.

We do since that article. There are others from 16th and 15th. They can't find it in their archives and storage, but what about other sources?

The press release from the Estate made it clear that they do not have the Umatic's for the 16th. They may exist, but can't be located. The press release also said they had Umatic's for other concerts, but sub-standard audio. We don't actually know what concerts they have Umatic's for, because they didn't say. They could have the Umatic's for one of the other Wembley dates, but we don't know.

Either way, they only have access to the multi-tracks from one concert - 16th July, Wembley. Which, if true, is a travesty.

The press release from the Estate made it clear that they do not have the Umatic's for the 16th. They may exist, but can't be located. The press release also said they had Umatic's for other concerts, but sub-standard audio. We don't actually know what concerts they have Umatic's for, because they didn't say. They could have the Umatic's for one of the other Wembley dates, but we don't know.

Either way, they only have access to the multi-tracks from one concert - 16th July, Wembley. Which, if true, is a travesty.
We know that they have July 15 Tape because they are releasing TWYMMF...

They have July 15th and And they can't be located in their storage archives, but what about others....?

They have July 15th and And they can't be located in their storage archives, but what about others....?

In trying to decipher the Estate's press release, it is my understanding (although I could be wrong) that they don't have access to the Umatic's from ANY of the Wembley shows. Therefore, TWYMMF from the 15th was probably on Michael's VHS as well.

Take this portion of the press release:

So while we believe that the Umatic tape for Wembley was initially sent for storage, we have not been able to locate it. And with regard to the Umatic footage of other concerts, the audio is extremely problematic and therefore these concerts are unusable.

When they say that the Umatic tape for Wembley was sent for storage, but are unable to locate it - I'm pretty sure they mean they can't find the Umatic's for ALL 7 Wembley shows. Because they then go on to say that they have Umatic's for "other concerts" - which must mean concerts other than Wembley. If they had Umatic's for any of the Wembley shows they would have said so.

Therefore, as I said above, I'm guessing TWYMMF from the 15th was on the VHS Mike had - since he didn't perform it on the 16th he probably asked for the performance from the 15th to be included on the VHS so he could review it.

Once we see the DVD we'll know for sure, but I'm guessing the quality of TWYMMF from the 15th is the same as the other songs from the 16th.

posting screenshots gives a small insight into the quality, freezing it gives the impression of bad quality however when in motion the shots aren't nearly as bad, it will be absolutely fine to watch in my opinion :)

We know that they have July 15 Tape because they are releasing TWYMMF...

no I believe that's "promo material", not a Umatic. Maybe only "select" few songs from July 15 were available as a promo tape they used. The little bit of TWYMMF in that TV spot looks very similar in quality to the Bad performance aired at the MTV Awards. It appears to be cleaner but also softer and not oversharpened like the July 16 VHS.

looking forward to mkgenie sharing with us the original clip of Another Part Of Me today :)

I'm choosing to look at it this way. If this really is Michael's single greatest performance, and it truly does only exist on this one VHS tape, then we are very lucky to be getting it in any sort of quality!

I'm also pretty sure this isn't the last we'll see of the Bad tour. Not by a long shot.

I think we can critique the quality a lot more better after Human Nature. It's not that compressed and it's much more clearer.

For something that's from a 25 year old VHS tape the quality is very impressive.

For something that's from a 25 year old VHS tape the quality is very impressive.

I agree completely, really impressive, and the audio is incredible as well.

It's funny though how people keep trying to make comparison to Queen concerts, THIS IS NOT QUEEN. That is all, thank you.

I believe they have July 15 full. Promo tapes were usually sent to news stations. The estate primarily kept the full shows instead of promos. The estate claimed they had the U-matic for other shows. Again it is not 100% certain they have full July 15 but it is most likely true.

DVD Quality:

6443777320120911130524092.jpg

6443777320120911130657030.jpg

6443777320120911130614082.jpg

Quality looks really good. Looks slightly more detailed and not as 'cartoonish' as the clips we've seen :)

Last edited:
Just watched the promo VHS/DVD brought by mkgenie on my 3D 55 inch HDTV..

AWFUL QUALITY. Just wished it was HD. Queen fans are so lucky..

Knowing that the estate can't do anything about it, I find it very kind to share MJ's VHS with us. I thank them for this opportunity, because these to performances were energetic, vocally, dance wise and musically.

Just watched the promo VHS/DVD brought by mkgenie on my 3D 55 inch HDTV..

AWFUL QUALITY. Just wished it was HD. Queen fans are so lucky..

Knowing that the estate can't do anything about it, I find it very kind to share MJ's VHS with us. I thank them for this opportunity, because these to performances were energetic, vocally, dance wise and musically.

Awful ? :(

Sad to hear that.

Even if your hd-tv had 32' size, it would still look awuful. its not the size that matters, but the resolution. And these videos/dvds (720x576/480) are not for those tv's. On sd-tv it will look like some "good" vhs. DVD on 1080p screens always show what the limitations of SD material is and how good the encode is. even if this was sorced from dvd it wonT look that great.

I have a 50' 3D plasma and the APOM and HN videos look the way I expected, so I am satisfied. for vhs it looks ok for me.
the remastering is not very good. could have been better in contrast and color. it's way to dark. black crush in many sceenes, that eats details.

If you want you can go tru that site and see how sd material really will look on hd tv.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/test.php

Last edited:

I'm glad I don't have HD TV. :p

I'm not moaning or something, but the remastering is very amateurish. It's hard to belive that professionals have been working on this. it looks just like the remasterings many members here made.
I'm currius if mjmax will/can make something out of this.

but one its for sure, if the film reels come to daylight, the remastering should not be made by the same company.

mjmax already said there is little to do with this, he would need the source. But who knows, maybe he'll make something out of it anyway.The quality: Upclose, the quality is good and acceptable!But far away, it looks really bad. The problem now, after all the enhancement, is that MJ looks like a wax figur. Too "cartoonish".Anyway, the quality is good ENOUGH for me to enjoy this in full, I have realized. But overall, it's pretty sad that after all these years, this is the quality we get :)Woah, stupid proxy server can't make new lines when writing..

Now that we have an uncompressed file,
WHAT IS THIS?!

It's so noticeable and annoying. I hope there aren't any other parts in the concert that looks like this and the quality is exceptionable to watch. But as for official release, It's really not. We should have had better and I am excited for the concert other than the poor camera angles. And who ever "restored" this did a god awful job. It's dark in many places at many times and the colors are bad.

WHAT IS THIS?!

It's so noticeable and annoying. I hope there aren't any other parts in the concert that looks like this and the quality is exceptionable to watch. But as for official release, It's really not. We should have had better and I am excited for the concert other than the poor camera angles. And who ever "restored" this did a god awful job. It's dark in many places at many times and the colors are bad.

This is going to the quality for the dvd?

This is going to the quality for the dvd?

I am going to assume since this was released by Sony and it's uncompressed and DVD standard (quality, 720x480 MPEG).

Even if your hd-tv had 32' size, it would still look awuful. its not the size that matters, but the resolution. And these videos/dvds (720x576/480) are not for those tv's. On sd-tv it will look like some "good" vhs. DVD on 1080p screens always show what the limitations of SD material is and how good the encode is. even if this was sorced from dvd it wonT look that great.

I have a 50' 3D plasma and the APOM and HN videos look the way I expected, so I am satisfied. for vhs it looks ok for me.
the remastering is not very good. could have been better in contrast and color. it's way to dark. black crush in many sceenes, that eats details.

If you want you can go tru that site and see how sd material really will look on hd tv.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/test.php

Not completely true.

I have the official Sign of the Times DVD, from Prince, performed in 1987.

Looks beautiful on my tv. Actually all of my DVDs look awesome, except for this. Bleh. What a waste.

WHAT IS THIS?!

He's moving quickly in this shot. You wont even notice it when watching.

I know this is a discussion about the quality and all, but honestly having seen HN yesterday, I don't have any complaints whatsoever, the quality is more than good enough IMO. So, yeah seeing these whole technical issues being discussed, taking the whole excitement away from Wembley! I can't even.. *moonwalking out of this thread*

Back