What Album Would You Recommend To A New Fan

MJBT

Proud Member
A mate of mine whos not a big fan of Michael likes Farewell My Summer Love and Beat It, the other day my ipod was working its way through a playlist and Heal The World came on, when the song finished he said "I like that one" so I gave him my copy of Dangerous and he liked it. So I gave him HIStory next, what would you give to a new fan?

depends on what he liked from MJ but I think I would give a new fan all his albums from OTW to Invincible in the right order.

Last edited:
You can't really go wrong with any one ..I guess I would recommend any of his Solo albums where had creative control because all of them are Pristine Diamond quality.

Going by what he liked so far, I'm assuming he's an older person. So you can recommend Off The Wall, then Thriller. OTW is classic, and I'm sure he'd love most of the tracks.

I would recommend HIStory as this is the album that made me a Michael Jackson fan well over 11 years ago.

give them thriller first to get the hype out of the way, then anything after that will be fine, or give off the wall then bad, i think thats good ordering

After giving him HIStory which he said was in parts was better than Dangerous I've given him Bad & OTW

I think with new fans, you've got to start them off with the big 3 first - before getting into Michael's deeper, artistic and underrated music. That's just my opinion! Some of Michael's later music you don't appreciate as much until you understand the man and what music preceded the album.

That being said, Invincible was my first studio album of Michael's.. bought back in 2003.

Honestly, I think any album would work for any new fan. However, Thriller would definitely be my last resort. The first album that came to my mind when I read this title was HIStory, for it really delves into Michael as a person and it's an excellent album. With some of the songs on that album, listeners can really get an understanding of him.

But it really depends on that person's taste in music. For a new fan, I think Dangerous, Bad, and HIStory would be good. But if they are a 70's person, I'd recommend Off The Wall, an 80's person, Bad, and so on.

Bad was the first Michael Jackson album I bought.

I think I would give them "Number Ones" at first if it's a really new fan who hasn't listened to Michael's music before at all (apart from hearing the songs on the radio here and there) and then I'd just go through the whole discography from Off the Wall to Invincible. After that I'd tell them about the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons years and give them those albums. And after that "Michael".

I'd recommend The Essential, as it must be available for only a few more quid than Number Ones, and for the extra disc's worth of music, it's absolutely worth it. That covers material from the J5 to Vince, so from there, they can make their own buying decisions on the basis of what they like.

Gone too soon, same with me. My first (from what I remember) was Invincible in 2003. I didn't even know he was still creating music shortly before then. I loved the album and it grew more on me daily.

You really can't go wrong with any album but I will say, you need to show him the short film Ghosts. That is amazing. Even show him some of the rare music like Escape and For All Time, and Serious Effect and .. what is the one he does with the guy from Queen? Just give a bit of a history lesson on him. Get him to see the music videos (I know he didnt like the word videos but that's what I call em). They show so much about him and what he stood for.

OH and show him Shout, and Come together. Those really opened my eyes to the range he can play. Also Dirty Diana, the video, shows he could be more of a rocker than most people would think.

If he still wants to see more, show him his poetry from Dancing the Dream. Show him his acting in Bad (the full version). Show him The Wiz and Moonwalker. Show him his artwork.

Such an amazingly well rounded, fascinating man.

Gone too soon, same with me. My first (from what I remember) was Invincible in 2003. I didn't even know he was still creating music shortly before then. I loved the album and it grew more on me daily.

You really can't go wrong with any album but I will say, you need to show him the short film Ghosts. That is amazing. Even show him some of the rare music like Escape and For All Time, and Serious Effect and .. what is the one he does with the guy from Queen? Just give a bit of a history lesson on him. Get him to see the music videos (I know he didnt like the word videos but that's what I call em). They show so much about him and what he stood for.

OH and show him Shout, and Come together. Those really opened my eyes to the range he can play. Also Dirty Diana, the video, shows he could be more of a rocker than most people would think.

If he still wants to see more, show him his poetry from Dancing the Dream. Show him his acting in Bad (the full version). Show him The Wiz and Moonwalker. Show him his artwork.

Such an amazingly well rounded, fascinating man.

I think your talking about State Of Shock, There Must Be More To Life Than This with Freddie Mercury, thats a good idea

Yes! Because I bet there are many music lovers who don't understand his range and all that he has done. He was the ultimate music lover who got to add to all the music people love. But so much of his stuff is hidden away and unreleased or just unknown because his signature sound is what got put out there, but there is more than that and I think it's good for people to see that. :) Also that he is EVEN more than the music. There is so much to him.

HIStory...you have the basics on disc 1 and some of the hidden stuff on disc 2

Back