What and who exactly is the Estate?

With their great vault of resources, I'd expect that the Estate do a better job. I don't want to grow old before we see an officially released Bad Tour concert in great quality. They need more capable people to handle the future video releases. I'd do the job for free but I'll never have the chance.

Not that I don't want it but I don't understand most fans obsession with the "bad tour". We haven't had any release of tours that are at least just as good destiny/triumph/victory. If I had to pick one I'd definitely pick the 2nd leg of the Destiny tour with the off the wall + shake your body songs. We're also lacking concerts prior to the destiny tour badly. I'd love to see 1970 live shows when MJ could still hit the high notes of the early songs.
I mean Im' at the point where I want any concert 1965-1984 over the bad tour to be honest.

Not that I don't want it but I don't understand most fans obsession with the "bad tour". We haven't had any release of tours that are at least just as good destiny/triumph/victory. If I had to pick one I'd definitely pick the 2nd leg of the Destiny tour with the off the wall + shake your body songs. We're also lacking concerts prior to the destiny tour badly. I'd love to see 1970 live shows when MJ could still hit the high notes of the early songs.
I mean Im' at the point where I want any concert 1965-1984 over the bad tour to be honest.

Because to most people, the Bad Tour was Michael's peak! That tour had incredible live singing and dancing. And the set list was perfect on that tour.
I love Triumph and Destiny and I would love to also see more footage from these tours, but I also love the Bad Tour and everything that came after it!

Because to most people, the Bad Tour was Michael's peak! That tour had incredible live singing and dancing. And the set list was perfect on that tour.
I love Triumph and Destiny and I would love to also see more footage from these tours, but I also love the Bad Tour and everything that came after it!

Yes of course but we have seen those performances so many times. APOF and DD for example their videos are basically live footage of the bad tour, we have the Wembley show and most of this tour would later be repeated in the dangerous tour.

If I was asked for my wishlist in tour releases I'd go for this

1. Destiny tour 2nd leg
2. Triumph tour
3. Goin Places tour (Probably first really matured MJ voice)
4. Jackson 5 first national tours 1970-1971 (young MJ at vocal prime)
5. Jackson 5 concerts circa 1975-1977 (MJ getting mature)
6. Victory tour (love the Toronto show but the setlists isn't interesting enough compared to the ones above)
7. Destiny tour first leg
8. J5 tours circa 1972-1974 (probably the least interesting vocally due to growing up pains)
9. Anything pre 1970 + mid 70s Las Vegas shows (probably lots of covers which could be very interesting, looks to me historically super interesting)
10. Bad tour 2nd leg (absolutely love it but I've seen it numerous times, the only interesting thing left is the fully live performances of TWYMMF, SC and Bad)

Dangerous, MSG, HIStory or MJ & friends concerts are of no interest to me. Nr 1 and 2 are heralded as wonderful all time great tours by critics so it's a must!

television

I'm more interested in The Jacksons/J5 TV specials, performances on TV shows, and the variety show being released on home video than concerts. There's DVDs of TV performances of acts like The Temptations, The Beatles, & Marvin Gaye. Not as interested in anything without afros in it. :D

As far as concerts go, I'm mostly interested in the 1973 Save The Children movie being released. Not just for the J5 either. I've heard various reasons for it not getting put on home video. One is song and/or artist clearances, another is because it was said that Sammy Davis Jr was booed by the audience. I'm not sure, but I heard Save The Children is similar to the Wattstax movie in that it is not entirely perfomances. I have Wattstax on DVD.

Re: television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWl72SRGA9w&list=PLorz_U_klHcBarxLyvEpqQp0Zq20fvfCJ

That audition only 10 years old , damn... He's doing JB moves as good as the man himself. I've always loved this because it's basically THE footage that's the real start of MJ's career. He is doing moves here that I've never seen him do on any other tv or concert performances. I got goosebumps from start to finish. What a show! I hope it will be released one day in good video/audio quality. Also 2bad that his feet are often not on screen.

PS which JB song are they performing here? I can't pinpoint it down

Last edited:

I'm more interested in The Jacksons/J5 TV specials, performances on TV shows, and the variety show being released on home video than concerts. There's DVDs of TV performances of acts like The Temptations, The Beatles, & Marvin Gaye. Not as interested in anything without afros in it. :D

Was some of them was?

One is song and/or artist clearances, another is because it was said that Sammy Davis Jr was booed by the audience

Why was he booed?

Last edited:

I hope it will be released one day in good video/audio quality.
The video & sound quality is probably not going to be that good. Lucky it has sound at all because the home videos of that time are sometimes silent. Looks like home video footage, which might be 8mm or 16mm. It wasn't professionally filmed for a commercial release. Then again, nothing from that time & before was filmed for a home video release. :laughing:
PS which JB song are they performing here?

This was the performance little MJ had watched over and over.

Save The Children

Why was he booed?
Don't know. Probably for hugging & endorsing Nixon. The mostly black audience wasn't going for that. I don't know if it was well known public knowledge at the time, but during the early 1970's Sammy was a member of the Church Of Satan. So that might be a reason.

The video & sound quality is probably not going to be that good. Lucky it has sound at all because the home videos of that time are sometimes silent. Looks like home video footage, which might be 8mm or 16mm. It wasn't professionally filmed for a commercial release. Then again, nothing from that time & before was filmed for a home video release. :laughing:

That's a shame, you would think for a taped audition there would at least be decent quality, especially since I heard big boss Gordy wasn't even there for the audition! Based on this they only signed the J5 because of little Michael's dancing lol

BTW I love JB performing "there was a time". There's a live 11 minute version somewhere on YouTube.

That's a shame, you would think for a taped audition there would at least be decent quality, especially since I heard big boss Gordy wasn't even there for the audition!
It wasn't common to film auditions in the first place. Music acts of that era were usually signed because of A&R people going to clubs and watching bands/singers or labels getting demo tapes. Gordy didn't even want to sign the J5 at first because he had a lot of problems with Little Stevie Wonder because of labor laws, hiring tutors, and Stevie's mother. So he didn't want another kid act. I think it was Suzanne De Passe who was rooting for the brothers and decided to have them filmed because Gordy wasn't available. Gladys Knight & Bobby Taylor had told Gordy about the group before all this.

As far as the quality, you must be young. You can't film in something that hadn't been invented yet (HD). A lot of TV shows of the time were filmed on videotape, especially sitcoms and music based programs. It was common for TV networks to tape over them to save money. A lot of American Bandstand episodes were lost in this way. Very early TV broadcasts were live and usually weren't filmed/taped. TV went off at night, it wasn't 24 hours. There was no home video market, that mainly began in the 1980s. Before that, outside of taping TV shows, videotapes were mostly used for job instructional videos. No cable TV either, only the major 3 networks and a few local UHF channels. There wasn't even remote control TVs and a lot of people still had black & white TVs. So there wasn't as much value placed on old programs at the time.

I agree 100%. I don't understand the obsession with the Bad tour either. I want those tours that you mentioned a 100 times over the Bad tour any day, and I think they're much more important than the Bad tour, especially Jackson 5 concerts. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: There's nothing I want more than a J5 concert from one of their early tours.
Besides, we already got the Bad tour, it's time for something else!

Last edited:
Re: Save The Children

Don't know. Probably for hugging & endorsing Nixon. The mostly black audience wasn't going for that.

Way before my time but Nixon was a terrible president. no hate to Sammy though. love some of his songs and had a good talent.

DuranDuran;4288440 said:

As far as the quality, you must be young. You can't film in something that hadn't been invented yet (HD). A lot of TV shows of the time were filmed on videotape, especially sitcoms and music based programs. It was common for TV networks to tape over them to save money. A lot of American Bandstand episodes were lost in this way. Very early TV broadcasts were live and usually weren't filmed/taped. TV went off at night, it wasn't 24 hours. There was no home video market, that mainly began in the 1980s. Before that, outside of taping TV shows, videotapes were mostly used for job instructional videos. No cable TV either, only the major 3 networks and a few local UHF channels. There wasn't even remote control TVs and a lot of people still had black & white TVs. So there wasn't as much value placed on old programs at the time.

Damn man I’m not that young, I’m on my way to 40! It is not the first time I’m called young here so it must be because of my stupid questions that people think I am. :p
I’m not a technician at all though but I would expect old footage to be able to get an upgrade in quality. It is probably to expensive though.

If we could get any tours i'll pick victory and everything before that. i would love to see everything before 1987 but that's not saying i wouldn't want anything after that. i agree we more things before bad, dangerous, history, etc.

Last edited:
JichaelMackson;4288465 said:
I’m not a technician at all though but I would expect old footage to be able to get an upgrade in quality. It is probably to expensive though.
Film can be scanned, but the smaller sizes like 8mm is not going to look that good blown up. Not much can be done with videotape. It can't be scanned. Film is like a bunch of photographs put together, that's how it can be scanned now into HD. A lot of things for TV that were shot on film was edited on videotape. So to make a HD version the entire thing has to be re-edited from scratch, any special effects would have to be done over. Some people might have a problem with this because it is not the original thing they saw. Such as editing out the strings/wires on flying saucers, which can be more easily seen in HD than on the older tube TVs. Also changing songs that were in the original, but that is usually done because the publisher or record label of the artist wants too much money.

The film might be scratched or have faded colors, so anything like that would have to be corrected, it can't be done with something filmed on videotape. It was done for the 1960s Star Trek show, but that has a large enough market that will buy it to justify the time and expense. 1980s & 1990s music videos were usually edited on videotape, no matter what it was originally filmed on. Earlier film was made with a material that deteriorates faster or even catch on fire. Many early movies was lost in this way, like silent films.

Re: HD

Earlier film was made with a material that deteriorates faster or even catch on fire. Many early movies was lost in this way, like silent films.

Wasn't there a very commonly used type of film that was extremely flammable? I remember seeing a documentary about a treasure trove of old silent films found buried in the ground somewhere, and they talked about that type of film and how film would just spontaneously combust and burn down a lot of movie theatres.

nitrate

Wasn't there a very commonly used type of film that was extremely flammable? I remember seeing a documentary about a treasure trove of old silent films found buried in the ground somewhere, and they talked about that type of film and how film would just spontaneously combust and burn down a lot of movie theatres.
Here is a training film from the 1940s talking about how to handle it. The film was flammable even when it was new.

Back