What demos would you like most to see remixed for wider audiences?

king_of_style

Proud Member
Now I know that remixes are a controversial thing here in the MJJ Community, but I think we can all agree that both Michael and Xscape had remixed songs, and both of them sold pretty well for posthumous albums. Thus, if the Estate were to release any new music (be it a single, an EP or an album) I think it's a no-brainer that they'd remix whatever tracks they are using. And that way MJ's music can in some form reach modern audiences and younger listeners -- even if you don't agree with the principle of remixes, you'd have to agree that a lot of younger fans were probably brought into the fandom through these modern tracks.

That being said, and since we don't know what the songs left in the Vault sound like, I thought I'd make a thread asking you guys what demos that have been released or leaked (be it through TUC or otherwise) you'd like to see remixed and shown to wider audiences.

My top picks are:

1) "We've Had Enough" -- this song is very powerful even in its demo form, but I think its message is especially powerful today in the wake of civil rights protests going on globally. I think an aggressive but serious remix would be amazing and captivating to modern audiences. Probably somewhere in between "Whatever Happens", "Give In To Me", and "Earth Song".

2) "Gloucestershire" -- this is another song that never has gotten much attention. Even though it's in an incomplete state I think that it's a simple and sweet song and a proper remix of it could have the feeling of "The Way You Love Me" and "Best of Joy" (yes I know "Best of Joy" isn't a remix but still).

3) "Throwing Your Life Away" -- this is an often brought-up song here on this forum in discussions about potential new releases. I definitely think this song has hit potential and a contemporary remix could definitely give the song a more eerie or somber tone. Something along the lines of the Xscape's "Chicago" or Michael's "Another Day".

What demos would you guys like to see remixed and shown to modern audiences?

Last edited:
None, nearly all those remixes on both Xscape and Michael are inferior to demos.
The fact that they sold doesn't make them good.

I don't think that "We've had enough" is a demo (and it is not reffered as such on TUC).

Gloucestershire lyrics are incomplete, I don't think anything can be done about unless you want them to hire Malachi again, but other than that it's perfect as it is.
There other issue is in sound quality so it could possibly use better mastering, not remixing.

Hot Street.

This is another one that has hit potential IMO. If I remember correctly Michael at one time wanted it to be on Thriller but Quincy and Rod didn't like it enough

None, nearly all those remixes on both Xscape and Michael are inferior to demos.

I don't think that "We've had enough" is a demo (and it is not reffered as such on TUC).

Gloucestershire lyrics are incomplete, I don't think anything can be done about unless you want them to hire Malachi again, but other than that it's perfect as it is.
There other issue is in sound quality so it could possibly use better mastering, not remixing.

I mean this thread was for which demos you'd want wider audiences to hear, as in which demos you think deserve more attention and praise. And since some of Michael's demos date as far back as the late 70s, I think remixing is inevitable, since an EP of songs that haven't been touched since 1979 won't sell well outside of this fandom. And unfortunately that's what the Estate is in the business of: selling stuff and making money.

I don't like all the elements of every remix either, but as long as his vocals and talent are given the first place and the project is done with love and respect for MJ in mind, I don't think they could ruin any of his demos. Especially since we will always have the original demos -- like they say, if it's on the Internet it's there forever.

EDIT: Also to be fair "The Way You Love Me" wasn't listed as a demo either and if I remember correctly, Michael didn't think the song was quite finished and wanted to work on it some more.

Now I know that remixes are a controversial thing here in the MJJ Community, but I think we can all agree that both Michael and Xscape had remixed songs, and both of them sold pretty well for posthumous albums. Thus, if the Estate were to release any new music (be it a single, an EP or an album) I think it's a no-brainer that they'd remix whatever tracks they are using. And that way MJ's music can in some form reach modern audiences and younger listeners -- even if you don't agree with the principle of remixes, you'd have to agree that a lot of younger fans were probably brought into the fandom through these modern tracks.

That being said, and since we don't know what the songs left in the Vault sound like, I thought I'd make a thread asking you guys what demos that have been released or leaked (be it through TUC or otherwise) you'd like to see remixed and shown to wider audiences.

My top picks are:

1) "We've Had Enough" -- this song is very powerful even in its demo form, but I think its message is especially powerful today in the wake of civil rights protests going on globally. I think an aggressive but serious remix would be amazing and captivating to modern audiences. Probably somewhere in between "Whatever Happens", "Give In To Me", and "Earth Song".

2) "Gloucestershire" -- this is another song that never has gotten much attention. Even though it's in an incomplete state I think that it's a simple and sweet song and a proper remix of it could have the feeling of "The Way You Love Me" and "Best of Joy" (yes I know "Best of Joy" isn't a remix but still).

3) "Throwing Your Life Away" -- this is an often brought-up song here on this forum in discussions about potential new releases. I definitely think this song has hit potential and a contemporary remix could definitely give the song a more eerie or somber tone. Something along the lines of the Xscape's "Chicago" or Michael's "Another Day".

What demos would you guys like to see remixed and shown to modern audiences?

Where did you hear the Best Of Joy wasn't a remix? All songs on Michael were reworked, even if its just a tiny bit just like Another Day and Much T, while we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy to compare, I doubt they just released it the way it was.

We've Had Enough would be great if they used an alternate vocal take, I don't think it should be used on a posthumous album though. Release it on an EP maybe with the solo version of WMCIG/People Of The World' ft. BTS and Bottom Of My Heart or I Have This Dream, with proceeds going to Heal LA maybe...

Price of Fame and We've Had Enough (though I actually don't think WHE is a demo)

IÂ’ve still got no idea why WHE is considered by fans to have hit potential.

Where did you hear the Best Of Joy wasn't a remix? All songs on Michael were reworked, even if its just a tiny bit just like Another Day and Much T, while we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy to compare, I doubt they just released it the way it was.

Yeah, Best Of Joy was totally reworked by Neff-U

I’ve still got no idea why WHE is considered by fans to have hit potential.

Because it's an amazing song and the message is more relevant than ever. Strong vocals and great beat.

It's all there really. - Could be a hit I guess. - And even if it's not gonna be a hit it deserves more recognition.

I always thought it wasn't remixed because it was made so close to MJ's death that I'd assumed it was contemporary enough for release, unlike "Behind the Mask" which was apparently completely redone. I stand corrected then.

Yeah, Best Of Joy was totally reworked by Neff-U

Damn, it was the last song the man ever completed and they couldn't even release it as-is.

We've Had Enough would be great if they used an alternate vocal take, I don't think it should be used on a posthumous album though. Release it on an EP maybe with the solo version of WMCIG/People Of The World' ft. BTS and Bottom Of My Heart or I Have This Dream, with proceeds going to Heal LA maybe...

This would be a very good idea I think. Have a Scream-esque compilation of his less well-known humanitarian songs.

I think it's probably its message more than anything else, its in some ways more fed-up than "Earth Song" or "Why You Wanna Trip On Me". It's a side of Michael that isn't shown much in popular culture, which focuses more on "We Are The World", "Man In The Mirror".

we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy

I heard at a probably-unofficial a capella version, which confirmed my thought that I would prefer a version with less instruments/quieter beats, something like than what is on the album. (I don't remember if I heard yet another version).

I heard at a probably-unofficial a capella version, which confirmed my thought that I would prefer a version with less instruments/quieter beats, something like than what is on the album. (I don't remember if I heard yet another version).

There were at least three other versions, then, right? "The Toy", "Best of Joy" 1991 version, and then the 2008 "Best of Joy"?

Sunset Driver. It would sound really funky if the song got modernized today with that bass melody. It's a song I could see Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson do some magic with.

for sure sunset driver oh the potential on that one...
its pretty much finished the only thing it lacks is sub bass and a modern mix to give it the 2021 feel and its PERFECT

I agree. I like them just the way they are.

Because it's AWESOME and it is still topical/current; a song about social and political issues.

Sunset Driver. It would sound really funky if the song got modernized today with that bass melody. It's a song I could see Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson do some magic with.

YES!!!!

for sure sunset driver oh the potential on that one...
its pretty much finished the only thing it lacks is sub bass and a modern mix to give it the 2021 feel and its PERFECT

Yes, yes, yes!!

Because it's AWESOME and it is still topical/current, as a song about social and political issues.

ItÂ’s a fantastic song - one of MJs best later cuts but itÂ’s just not a smash hit like some make it out to be.

Why do you think, WHE has no hit potential? Take a look at TDCAU, the structure of the song is the same pattern (musically nothing special or surprising), reused beat from WYBT and still it was and is a hit... The message and controversy in the song made TDCAU hit. I don´t see any reason that why WHE couldn´t make it the same way... ;)

For me the list is quite long but I´ll chose the best ones for me I would love to hear in modern coat :)

WHE
Sunset Driver (definatelly)
Cheater
Monkey Bussines
CGYWOOF (Would die to hear the demo too :D )
TYLA
Price Of Fame
Scared Of The Moon
I Was a Loser

PS: If they want to make a duet, please make it but not from a finished song Where MJ sings all the versers... For me the duet could be Familly Thing...

For me the list is quite long but I´ll chose the best ones for me I would love to hear in modern coat :)

WHE
Sunset Driver (definatelly)
Cheater
Monkey Bussines
CGYWOOF (Would die to hear the demo too :D )
TYLA
Price Of Fame
Scared Of The Moon
I Was a Loser

I think "Cheater" can 100% be used since we know that three different versions of the song exist, meaning that it's almost impossible that there isn't enough material from it for them to release officially. Also "Throwing Your Life Away" could easily be the next "Chicago" in terms of atmosphere and moodiness. "Sunset Driver" could definitely be a "Silk Sonic's HIStory Lesson" sort of thing

Price Of Fame
Throwing Your Life Away
Sunset Driver

Mostly stuff from the Bad and Dangerous era because a lot of that stuff has untapped potential

To be honest, I'm offended by the MJ remixes that try to sound modern.

Thriller 25 was where it started to sound quite bad, but Bad 25 was absolutely pathetic (looking straight at Afrojack and Nero). Like, I've heard literally thousands of remixes in my time, and these are some of the worst remixes of any song that I've heard in my whole life.

It shouldn't just be about picking a random name out of the top 10 and having them talk in the background. MJ was better than that.

Lately I've listened quite a lot to Got The Hots - and in the version we have it screams 80's - but if updated by Bruno Mars, I could actually see potentiale in that song.

It's not a new Billie Jean, but it's a sweat melody and nice song.

^I've always thought that Got The Hots sounds rather unfinished, probably because it most likely is. Would be cool to hear more finished/polished production on that one.

Last edited:
1.Monkey Business ( such funkage by a pop centered star its surprising, as MJ rarely did get funky. This might be his best cut in his entire discography, I think it needs very little to no remixing done ;) )
2.Price of Fame( just as good as Billie Jean lyrically : " Just stand here in my shoes, and get a taste of my blues". I hope remixing wouldnt ruin it. Again not much, if any, big remixing needed at all)
3.Sunset Driver: Michael doin'something disco and funky . With some updates on its Brother Johnson 1979 like sound and it would be a smash hit in 2021 for sure too :D
4.We've had enough . Powerful message . Our generation needs this:)
5.Cheater ( its way too groovy to get ignored. Some remixing or updates on the Invincible version should do it. Though I hope the 1987 jam wasnt destroyed when the Invincible version was made)
6. Someone put your hand out( I know it isnt a demo, but still.)The 1990's version Teddy Riley composed for Michael its killer and way better than the one Michael wrote in 1987. Though Michael apparently wrote the hook Teddy based his version on. Maybe they would remix it and make it a little more jazzier, like jazz caffe idk .Hit potential for sure in my opinion, though it has been already released as a promotional cd and was played on the DWT as an interlude, back in 1992:0. The mass audience still doesnt know it all on the other hand, so a re release maybe isn't a bad idea :)
A new EP of some little remixes on those jams should earn Michael some more respect , especially after Leaving Neverland. It was nearly 2 years ago but that crap still gets attention for some reason :/

Also "She's Trouble" :D Great and cute 80's song ,remixed for a modern sound maybe it could be thenew Michael Jackson single, in my opinion :D The second vocal take on it its strong :)))))

Back