What do you think makes a true MJ fan?

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
Silly question perhaps, but I have thought about it and I think it's a very interesting subject, what do you think makes a true MJ fan??

A true fan is someone who connects with the artist or art on a deep emotional level. That doesn't mean that he listens to every single word the artist says, but he understands whatever he hears. I don't think musicians were supposed to have true fans a while back - there were more music fans than musician fans iykwim.
Just like a true friend, he embraces instead of disagreeing or agreeing with the flaws of the object he is a fan of. He understands the limits to that person or art.

I don't know. It's easier to list what isn't kosher as opposed to what IS. Personally, I never lose sight of the artist's humanity and respect that. Mike is fabulous and he brought a lot to the table, yet I never saw him as some kind of a deity. I try to apply the golden rule to everyone, famous or not; treat people the way I want to be treated. I'm not always successful with that, but if I'm wrong I can and will apologize.

It's important (for me) to respect the artist's personal space, too, which includes their lives they don't share with the fans. I was satisfied with the music, the clips, the dance, the shows and merch. Hanging outside their homes and/or trying to climb the walls of Neverland, overly invested in the artist's kids etc. isn't my style and is a bit much imho. That crosses the line into fanaticism.

Mike (or any artist, author, actor, etc) didn't owe me every waking minute of his life.

A true fan can say when MJ did a bad or mediocre song/album/video/show/decision and not blindly think everything is gold BECAUSE they are aware of all the other excellent stuff or better judgement calls.

You know you are a Michael Jackson fan when....

1. You relate all other music to Michael
2. someone can name any celeb and you can explain the connection they have to MJ
3. You catch yourself overdoing MJ talk and getting on peoples nerves
4. You get irritated when an artist does not name Michael as an influence even when it is a genre that would have other large influences over Mike
5. You have watched footage so many times you could probably draw (or explain) each scene frame by frame
6. You know pretty much the entire script of The Jacksons: An American Dream
7. You know more about dates, events of Michaels than your own family members
8. You can spot out characteristics of Michaels (gestures etc) in other people and just get caught up observing them
9. You can turn any conversation into one about Michael and it still be on topic
10. You can't help but to show new footage of Michael (OR people talking about Michael) to friends/family when you know they probably wont care

Just my litte add ins here... lol

Someone who can openly admit when they think something Michael did was mediocre, nonsensical, and/or completely idiotic.

If you blindly listen to everything he does and refuse to acknowledge that there is a single thing wrong with the man - which is another point in and of itself, that Michael was a MAN and was just as flawed as any other human being - then you are a Stan, not a fan.

Someone who enjoys the music and knows a reasonable amount about him. And is alsowise enough not to believe the tabloid lies about him over the years. Also someone who has stuck with him over the years and is not ashamed to declare their love for him.

To me the its RESPECT!
If you show 'Respect' for Michael as human being and as artist.
If you don't laugh with or help spread the latest gossip/ juicy story like a Journalist does.

If you done your 'homework' and 'brush up' your knowlegde of the truth and official sources of events and NOT just take the Tabloid stuff for REAL events. :smilerolleyes:

If you show L.O.V.E and care to your fellowfans and never ridicule or bully them for how they feel. :blush:

But in the end, The MOST 'valuable' treat for a TRUE fan is RESPECT for the Man (y)

I don't know. It's easier to list what isn't kosher as opposed to what IS. Personally, I never lose sight of the artist's humanity and respect that. Mike is fabulous and he brought a lot to the table, yet I never saw him as some kind of a deity. I try to apply the golden rule to everyone, famous or not; treat people the way I want to be treated. I'm not always successful with that, but if I'm wrong I can and will apologize.

It's important (for me) to respect the artist's personal space, too, which includes their lives they don't share with the fans. I was satisfied with the music, the clips, the dance, the shows and merch. Hanging outside their homes and/or trying to climb the walls of Neverland, overly invested in the artist's kids etc. isn't my style and is a bit much imho. That crosses the line into fanaticism.

Mike (or any artist, author, actor, etc) didn't owe me every waking minute of his life.

But sadly, the fanatics you talk about are usually seen as 'real' fans.

But sadly, the fanatics you talk about are usually seen as 'real' fans.

True story: Last Saturday I went grocery shopping after work, was wearing my TII black t-shirt and a guy was following me through 3 aisles until I stopped and asked him if he needed something. His reply was both amusing and sad: he said he was looking at my shirt, wanted to know where I got it and to talk about Mike, but he was AFRAID of Michael Jackson fans! Can I get a WTF?! We ended up grabbing a bite at the Subway inside of the store and yapped about Mike the whole time. :) He said it was nice to see a Mike fan not come across as a Mike fanatic.

Wow...

There are different levels of fandom, there are fans who are only interested in the music and nothing else and there are those who are interested in everything MJ including the person, his life etc. And there are many variations in between. All of them are real fans, as far as I am concerned, except when someone makes deliberately derogatory comments about him as a person and says "but I like his music" as if that would give him a pass for such comments. Not everyone who says they like his music is a real fan IMO. I mean Diane Dimond and Nancy Grace said at one point they used to like his music...

There are different levels of fandom, there are fans who are only interested in the music and nothing else and there are those who are interested in everything MJ including the person, his life etc. And there are many variations in between. All of them are real fans, as far as I am concerned, except when someone makes deliberately derogatory comments about him as a person and says "but I like his music" as if that would give him a pass for such comments. Not everyone who says they like his music is a real fan IMO. I mean Diane Dimond and Nancy Grace said at one point they used to like his music...

All of those levels aren't (for lack of a better word) normal, either. Let's not kid ourselves; there are those that go the "Misery" route, completely off the wall (pun intended) and an actual threat to the celebrity they claim to love and admire. More often than not Mike (and other celebs) needed security to protect them from their own FANS, not haters. Billie Jean was about an obsessed fan, this coming from Mike HIMSELF. The dangers were real for him and other famous people and it shouldn't be. Being excited to see him isn't a good excuse imho. I never wanted to be in a mob reaching, grabbing, tearing him to shreds. That is not cool, not respecting his space, his person. F*ck that!

Misery%20see%20what%20you%20made%20me%20do_zpsbrknzibu.jpg

If you blindly listen to everything he does and refuse to acknowledge that there is a single thing wrong with the man - which is another point in and of itself, that Michael was a MAN and was just as flawed as any other human being - then you are a Stan, not a fan.

I just want to add to this one by saying that to do the bolded is to deny that person their humanity. Michael was, above all else, a human being, like any one of us.

I have no problem stating I don't like some songs Michael recorded, I can't love everything. Neither acknowledging some decisions he made were wrong, all humans have flaws after all. What I would never do is going to the extreme of being rude and insulting to him as some fans have been when they express their opinions because I have the utmost respect towards him. I'm not saying they can't express their discontent about any thing, they sure can but there are ways to do it.

I have no problem stating I don't like some songs Michael recorded, I can't love everything. Neither acknowledging some decisions he made were wrong, all humans have flaws after all. What I would never do is going to the extreme of being rude and insulting to him as some fans have been when they express their opinions because I have the utmost respect towards him. I'm not saying they can't express their discontent about any thing, they sure can but there are ways to do it.

:punk: That is a major pet peeve of mine; so-called fans saying disrespectful things like "that song sucked", "that song was complete garbage" and comments along that line. I'll usually ask them to share some of their compositions as a comparison as to what isn't 'garbage' or 'suckage' and that usually shuts them up, LMAO!

^ While I really do find appreciation in everything I've heard MJ record even when I could understand why it would not be a hit..

My perspective is I can't expect everyone to have the same view.. if someone does not like a song, I don't think there is anything wrong with stating it.. And to be Frank (I still don't understand that expression "be frank" lol) If I were Michael and heard someone say "I really did not like that song." I'd appreciate that persons opinion differently cuz I'd know they are not just telling me what I want to hear...

I'm sure in the studio Michael has heard "NO, that song is not any good"... And I'm sure because of that, played a part of why that person(s) worked with Michael.. Honesty gets quality.. You cant reach perfection without criticism.

I'd some times word it nicer lol! but I can't expect everyone to be like me.. I don't want them to either.

I do believe there are levels of fandom as discussed. I believe there is an issue when a person believes one level is superior to another and at times pretends to be a part of that believed, superior level. Each level serves a purpose to the artist; thus, no level is superior which conversely means no level is inferior.

The label true fan simply means faithful. I believe there is an issue when a person puts others present in Michael’s life and others present after Michael’s passing before Michael. Such an unfaithful act negates the label true fan.

A fan can support another over Michael; a true fan will not. As previously stated, neither fan is superior over the other however; the unfaithful act(s) is quite irritating and extremely frustrating for the true fan who feels it necessary to defend Michael against such an act(s).

^ My perspective is somewhat similar but instead of 'levels' I see it more to it.. While you can put it into layers, there are other avenues that would be under then umbrella of 'fandom' in each layer. Some people love different things about him and/or in different ways. For example your mom and dad can love you equally (same level) but very differently.. I think that's why in a fan world, you can find yourself in that age old argument. "im a bigger fan because....." cuz to them, it's everything.

How can I explain this? Well, for me, I think what makes someone a true MJ fan is someone who doesn't believe all the garbage people have said about him, loves his music, knows what his message really is and just by knowing that he was a normal human being like all of us.

KOPV, I understand and I agree that level is not the best word for this discussion but, I cannot think of a word more definitive at this time. The word level does give the impression of height (higher, lower) and that is what I am against because I do not believe one expression of fandom is superior to another.

I believe the “bigger fan” argument speaks to how one believes their expression of fandom is superior. A casual fan who purchased Thriller and lost interest in Michael only to regain it after his passing is not a lesser fan than one who camped outside his hotel in various cities in my view, for example. Each fan served a purpose to Michael.

Don't know exactly. But I think you have to feel him somewhat

Back