What do you think of Don't Be Messin' 'Round (DEMO)

What do you think of the DEMO - Don't Be Messin' 'Round??

• I LOVE IT!!!

Votes: 111 56.1%
  • I think it's an ok demo

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don't really like it

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • I HATE IT!!!

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
I can't help but feeling they've messed up once again with this release. Why release a demo when a better finished version is available? And if they just wanted to include a B side to this single, they should have put the French version of the song and a demo of some other unfinished song. Now they've just ruined the surprise of Don't Be Messin' Round whenever the finished version gets released. YOu should first release the final version of a song and then go back to its roots.

And the song is pretty average. I mean, I haven't listened to it in weeks. Very unusual for a new Michael Jackson track.

I can't help but feeling they've messed up once again with this release. Why release a demo when a better finished version is available? And if they just wanted to include a B side to this single, they should have put the French version of the song and a demo of some other unfinished song. Now they've just ruined the surprise of Don't Be Messin' Round whenever the finished version gets released. YOu should first release the final version of a song and then go back to its roots.

And the song is pretty average. I mean, I haven't listened to it in weeks. Very unusual for a new Michael Jackson track.

If they released the later version of the song then the song would not be from the Bad era. Michael probably re-recorded the vocals too.

thiron;3669721 said:
Really, 'till 2008? I thought the last version belongs to the HIStory era (according to Vogel's article ablout that song)?

Maybe not but last registration of the song was made in 2009 along with all MJ/Brad Buxer collaborations like Hollywood...

Don't Be Messin'.
Type of Work: Entry not found.
Registration Number / Date: SRu000935217 / 2010-01-13
Application Title: Don’t Be Messin’.
Title: Don’t Be Messin’.
Description: Electronic file (eService)
Copyright Claimant: Bradley Buxer. Address: 553 Summit Oaks Ct., Nashville, TN, 37221, United States.
Michael Durham Prince. Address: 30402 Vineyard Lane, Santa Clarita, CA, 91384, United States.
The Estate of Michael J. Jackson, Transfer: by will. Address: c/o Hoffman, Sabban & Watenmaker, 10880 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2200, Los Angeles, CA, 90024, United States.
Date of Creation: 2009
Authorship on Application: Michael Durham Prince; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: sound recording, production.
Bradley Buxer; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: sound recording, performance, production.
Michael J. Jackson, -2009; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: performance, production.
Rights and Permissions: Songwriters Guild of America, 209 10th Avenue South, Suite 321, Nashville, TN, 37203, United States, (615) 742-9945, sfein@songwritersguild.com
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Names: Prince, Michael Durham
Buxer, Bradley
Jackson, Michael J., -2009
Prince, Michael Durham
The Estate of Michael J. Jackson

If they released the later version of the song then the song would not be from the Bad era. Michael probably re-recorded the vocals too.

My point is they should've released some other Bad era unreleased song/ demo. Now because they've released this song in its demo version, it won't make a great addition to a new Michael Jackson album. And why leave out the French version? They are probably unaware of its existence
I guess.

I think he's talking about the French version of I Just Can't Stop Loving You :D

Now I wonder how DBM'R would sound in French :scratch: :D

:rofl: Yeah, that's what I figured. It'd be funny if there was one of DBMR lol.

My point is they should've released some other Bad era unreleased song/ demo. Now because they've released this song in its demo version, it won't make a great addition to a new Michael Jackson album. And why leave out the French version? They are probably unaware of its existence
I guess.

Why not? Just because you don't like it, doesnt mean it affect the way you may feel with the final version or any other version from the different eras. Its just a demo, not new song. If the final is released on the next posthumous album, it will be more interesting to how have the song embrased from that unspectacular 80's version.
I don't understand why some go so much into it. They have wrong expectations. I just can imagine how the reactions will be when the album comes out, with all those unfinished songs and demos.
Its no point to put finished song as a b-side.
No, you can please them all. Just go for the masses and it would be fine. And thats what the estate and sony did. And it was explaned very well in the announcement, how the songs have been chosen.

Sorry. But, i accept your opinion. Just dont agree.

I've been playing this song nonstop for the past few days.

Takes your mind off real life filled drama.

Not a killer-track. But definitely interesting, as all the demos that have been released trough the years. We need more of this stuff.

I don't find this track amusing at all. I don't think this could be a good song either way. Michael knew it and that's why he never released it.

It just doesn't suit him. To me, the melody is too soft. Note that this is a personal opinion which I just posted on a DISCUSSION BOARD.

It's not my most played but it's growing on me and I THINK it could've been a good song if they had worked on it, despite what lot of people say, it's not one of his strongest demos but then again people feel The Girl is Mine is the weakest track on Thriller and it made the cut easily.. Michael wouldn't have recorded something he didn't feel had something special to begin with.

I do like the vocals, but the instrumental sounds to much like a demo for me. I think I read somewhere that the song was reworked later, would like to hear this reworked instrumental version or a modern remix version of it.

I was disappointed the first time I heard it. But I somewhat appreciate it.
It's OK for a filler. But it's weird that's at the start of a disc.

It took a while to grow on me, but I do like it.
It's vintage Michael - a real funky bop!
As always, his electric vocals carry the entire tune.

“Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round” is akin to listening to the demos of “Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough” or “Billie Jean” — I like what’s there and I can hear the potential, but there’s still a lot of space to be filled. The version Korgnex shared is FAR better than the Bad 25 cut in my opinion; the production feels more thought out and propulsive.

I’d love to hear later versions to see how it morphed over the years (specifically any of the cuts Neff-U did in 2008).

I can enjoy the song as a demo. - I am sure had MJ finalized it, it would have been great.

It's not my thing. I'm more for harder, more aggressive tracks/vocals/instrumentals and that just isn't really there on "Don't Be Messin' Round" -- like someone else said it sounds more like an Off the Wall outtake than a Bad one. I'd agree that it doesn't really have the same feel as the other Bad tracks, and I can understand why it was cut. Of course, it is a demo, and so I'd like to hear a demo of, say, "Bad" or another album track for comparison to see what direction this demo could've gone in.

DBMA was a refreshing sound at the time. It's not a cut that I go back to often. It's got that same scatting at the end that he did on State of Shock with Freddie as the song fades out.

I really like it. It has got a very raw and funky feel to it, which I like a lot. Of course, it is not close to completion, but the potential is there. I have always said that I wish Michael and Stevie collaborated on DBMA, instead of JGF. It would have been an absolute banger.

I really like it. It has got a very raw and funky feel to it, which I like a lot. Of course, it is not close to completion, but the potential is there. I have always said that I wish Michael and Stevie collaborated on DBMA, instead of JGF. It would have been an absolute banger.

My thoughts exactly, imagine what this would have been like had Mike completed it and done it with Stevie

I really like the song, it's not similar to a lot else we've heard from Michael. Hopefully there is a more complete version in the vault

My thoughts exactly, imagine what this would have been like had Mike completed it and done it with Stevie

I really like the song, it's not similar to a lot else we've heard from Michael. Hopefully there is a more complete version in the vault

I heard MJ worked on DBMA for Dangerous and History albums. If true, I would love to hear those versions, as they will be more complete.

I heard MJ worked on DBMA for Dangerous and History albums. If true, I would love to hear those versions, as they will be more complete.

That's really interesting, "Don't Be Messin' Round" is not a song I'd have expected to hear on HIStory so I also would like to hear that interpretation. Since there's so few HIStory outtakes compared to the other eras, I wonder if the HIStory version has anything in common with the other outtakes ("Neverland Landing", "Not Guilty", "Innocent Man", "Willing and Waiting"). In the case of "Willing and Waiting" I've read that it wasn't as aggressive sounding as Michael was wanting for the record, and I'm thinking that "Don't Be Messin' Round" might have the same story

I can’t even imagine how a HIStory era cut of “Don’t Be Messin’” would sound. It’s so distant from everything else that came from that era. But MJ was experimenting with moods and genres at the time, so I could imagine it was up for consideration at the same time tracks like “Much Too Soon” and “Why” were, and it eventually got booted once the album took a more socially and politically conscious turn.

AlwaysThere;4322392 said:
I can’t even imagine how a HIStory era cut of “Don’t Be Messin’” would sound. It’s so distant from everything else that came from that era. But MJ was experimenting with moods and genres at the time, so I could imagine it was up for consideration at the same time tracks like “Much Too Soon” and “Why” were, and it eventually got booted once the album took a more socially and politically conscious turn.

I mean "Cheater" was apparently reworked twice so I guess it's not that unusual sounding. I'm just wondering if it would ever be released on a HIStory 25 sort of project

Back