What if Dangerous was a 100% New Jack Swing album?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Jam
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can’t Met Her Get Away
Who Is It
Dangerous

Add in 2 more NJS outtakes to round of at 10 songs

Would this album have been as successful as the one that was released? The singles didn’t do all that well worldwide with RTT being the exception. I guess the album would have had a short chart life but purely based on quality I would love it. Dangerous while great is probably too long as it is (which plagues most albums since the CD format became most popular).

Add in 2 more NJS outtakes to round of at 10 songs
Honest question: Would Work That Body (one of Bryan Loren's outtakes) count as a NJS song to add to this list?

With a few tweaks, I can imagine this song fitting in with a more NJS-oriented tracklist. I would also add Superfly Sister, She Got It (although I'd probably finish it first...), and/or a completed version of Men in Black, if possible.

Dangerous while great is probably too long as it is (which plagues most albums since the CD format became most popular).
Honestly, while I see your point, I love Dangerous as it is. With the opportunity for more songs that are released, we probably wouldn't one day harp on the estate to release songs like Heal the World or Keep the Faith if they ended up just being outtakes (even though these songs are surprisingly divisive among fans, especially for Heal the World). I am a little disappointed though about more of Bryan Loren's material not making official releases. There's actually some pretty solid songs that were produced by him. But, of course, Michael wouldn't really release anything until it was 100% up to his standards, and Bryan Loren's songs weren't totally up to his standards. Teddy Riley was a lot more popular and in demand around the early 90s anyway.

That album would not have been as commercially successful, nor as interesting. What makes Dangerous interesting is the mix of styles. Anyway, I don't really see Remember the time and Who is It as straight NJS songs. They are more pop songs with NJS elements

Had a NJS album been released in 89 or 90 then it would have seen more chart success, Dangerous was really the last hurrah for the NJS genre at the forefront b4 Grunge and Nirvana took over.

I think the genius of Dangerous is that it covers a wide range of genres, obviously it makes it less listenable and cohesive for some people, but it also showcases Michael's talents in more genres and allows for great songs like Will you be there, Gone too Soon and Give in to me.

Michael should've just done 2300 jackson st. That whole album is njs

Had a NJS album been released in 89 or 90 then it would have seen more chart success, Dangerous was really the last hurrah for the NJS genre at the forefront b4 Grunge and Nirvana took over.
I don't know why rock magazines always report this. It was really Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, & hip hop that took over. Most of those early 1990s rock bands were not really grunge anyway. They were called alternative rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Everclear, & Green Day. Grunge was only popular for around 2 years and then was replaced with nu-metal, which was rock & rap mixed together. Hip hop & country are still popular now in the USA. In the middle of grunge, Ace Of Base, Hootie & The Blowfish, and Whitney Houston were big too. I think I Will Always Love You was played a lot more than any of the grunge songs on Top 40 and also on other radio formats that did not play grunge or any kind of rock music. Van Hagar, Aerosmith, & Bon Jovi were still getting airplay at the time too.

I don't know anything about the new jack swing genre, but I have to admit that while it contains a few songs I like, "Dangerous" is my least favorite of Michael's albums.

I don't know why rock magazines always report this. It was really Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, & hip hop that took over. Most of those early 1990s rock bands were not really grunge anyway. They were called alternative rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Everclear, & Green Day. Grunge was only popular for around 2 years and then was replaced with nu-metal, which was rock & rap mixed together. Hip hop & country are still popular now in the USA. In the middle of grunge, Ace Of Base, Hootie & The Blowfish, and Whitney Houston were big too. I think I Will Always Love You was played a lot more than any of the grunge songs on Top 40 and also on other radio formats that did not play grunge or any kind of rock music. Van Hagar, Aerosmith, & Bon Jovi were still getting airplay at the time too.
In the early 1990s when Dangerous was released, dance was still popular. Madonna ruled the dance charts with Vogue and, to an extent, the Erotica album. I think the 90s music charts were a hybrid mix of mainstream music (dance, hip hop, New Jack Swing, R n’ B) and underground music. Like the 2000s (2000-2009) - no concrete, distinct sound of the decade.

Last edited:
Maybe if Michael added Hollywood-esque strings to Dangerous, it would have stood out as a Disney-like album in the pop charts.
Why would Mike need to do that? NJS was already getting pop airplay. People forget it now, but Bobby Brown was huge in the late 1980s, he even had the theme song for Ghostbusters 2. Glenn Medeiros got a big hit with Bobby on it. Al B. Sure!, Bell Biv DeVoe, Color Me Badd, TLC, Heavy D & The Boyz, etc. were played on Top 40. Boy George, Aretha Franklin, James Ingram, James Brown, Diana Ross, Sheena Easton, & even Prince was releasing New Jack Swing songs. The Rolling Stones had Teddy Riley do a remix for them on their single Love Is Strong. Sting also had some NJS remixes and he had Puff Daddy remix The Police's Roxanne and even did a music video for it. David Bowie recorded a duet with Al B. Sure!. I also remember that Teddy's remix for I Don't Wanna Fall In Love by Jane Child was played more than the original mix.

As far as Disney, that was what Celine Dion, Peabo Bryson, & Elton John was doing.

Last edited:
I start this thread because I see it as playing it safe to include several genres into one album, for me it lacks vision. Also he basically wanted to one up Janet’s Rhythm Nation with Dangerous.
The 8 Dangerous NJS songs plus a finished ghost from another lover would have made one hell of a hard and gritty but danceable NJS record.

Jam
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
In The Closet
She Drives Me Wild
Remember The Time
Can’t Let Her Get Away
Who Is It
Ghost From Another Lover
Dangerous

Also the last 4 songs could almost form a narrative just based on the titles alone.

I love the other songs on Dangerous too, he could have easily included some of these 1 or 2 years later on a completely different sounding album Or include the best of them on HIStory. Will You Be There,Someone Pit Your Hand Out and Black Or White could have easily replaced some of the weak HIStory tracks like This Time Around, D.S. and the unexplainable inclusion of Come Together (good cover though).

Damn my life is boring, sorry guys.

Maybe because it is a NJS album in hindsight.
Out of curiosity though. What is your favorite album by m?
Well, from the Dangerous album, I really like "Who Is It", "Will You Be There", "Keep the Faith", "Gone Too Soon", and the title track. For a long time, I liked "Black or White", but I've heard it so many times now its become a little annoying. I still appreciate its message, though.

As for MJ's other albums, I mostly like the classics - "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Thriller", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Smooth Criminal", etc. The History album has a few good ones - I think he was particularly smart and brave to record "D.S.", and Sneddon never sued him over it. I like that Michael and Janet found something to work on together, but "Scream" is still a little overrated in my opinion. "Stranger in Moscow" is pretty good, and although I don't like most remixes, I adore the title track from Blood on the Dance Floor. As for the Invincible album, I like most of it - only the title track gets on my nerves at times.

That album would not have been as commercially successful, nor as interesting. What makes Dangerous interesting is the mix of styles. Anyway, I don't really see Remember the time and Who is It as straight NJS songs. They are more pop songs with NJS elements

Lol pretty much all of MJ's songs are pop. Maybe "Who Is It" isn't New jack swing but "Remember the Time" definitely is. New jack swing isn't just hard, heavy hip hop-ish songs.

Well, from the Dangerous album, I really like "Who Is It", "Will You Be There", "Keep the Faith", "Gone Too Soon", and the title track. For a long time, I liked "Black or White", but I've heard it so many times now its become a little annoying. I still appreciate its message, though.
Thanks for your reply. Black or White was unlike anything at the time. It was very huge. I think you have some good choices. :)
As for MJ's other albums, I mostly like the classics - "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Thriller", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Smooth Criminal", etc. The History album has a few good ones - I think he was particularly smart and brave to record "D.S.", and ✨ Sneddon never sued him over it. ✨I like that Michael and Janet found something to work on together, but "Scream" is still a little overrated in my opinion. "Stranger in Moscow" is pretty good, and although I don't like most remixes, I adore the title track from Blood on the Dance Floor. As for the Invincible album, I like most of it - only the title track gets on my nerves at times.
It was a clever move that m thought of here. 'Dom Sheldon' ..So district attorney of Santa Barbara County, California. ... couldn't do jack. ✨

Thanks for your reply. Black or White was unlike anything at the time. It was very huge. I think you have some good choices. :)

It was a clever move that m thought of here. 'Dom Sheldon' ..So district attorney of Santa Barbara County, California. ... couldn't do jack. ✨
Yep, and at one point the lyrics are "Dom S. Sheldon"...but when sung, it sounds very close to "Thomas Sneddon". MJ really walked a very tight line with that number.

Back