What made MJ's songs so unique?

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Like what is it about the compositions, lyrics, production etc of his records that made him has musician stand out from his peers?

Here are my key (signature strengths) elements of arrangement/production that made MJ's songs distinct from most other pop songs:

*Memorable intro/outro

*complex rhythm/percussion arrangement

*Vocal beatbox arrangements (probably his signature sound e.g. "Why You Wanna Trip On Me", "Who Is It", "Will You Be There", "They Don't Care About Us", "Stranger In Moscow", "Tabloid Junkie", "In The Back", "Hollywood Tonight")

*Instrumental solo (usually a guitar but "Bad" used organs and "Jam" had horns)

*Lyrical Dissonance (upbeat song with contrastingly gloomy lyrical content i.e "Smooth Criminal" and "Billie Jean")

*Harmonic Layers

*Contrasting harmonies (gritty, guttural, or throaty in verses, high tenor/falsetto during bridge or chorus i.e. "Speed Demon", "Tabloid Junkie", "Blood On The Dance Floor", "Xscape")

Last edited:
Nice thread :clapping:

You feel that Michael puts his heart and soul into his songs.

I'm sure its about 'chemistry' too. Its tough to explain why my brain is so hooked on Michael's music.

Michael is true to his art and he can make your BAD day bright with his voice and the right melody :blush:

I love how the lyrics can really make your day and give you hope for a better tomorrow.

Well, what else can I say?

Michael has that something 'special' that is tough to 'pinpoint'. it's like explaining how 'love' feels like. Words are too limited to express how he makes you feel when Michael sings or a melody and Bass hits your brain :D

I love the 'complex' melodies of melody and Bass so neatly woven into each other accompanied by his 'adlibs' and 'instruments' you only pick up after the zillionth listening session.

Example: Is it scary has 'special sound effects' and I love them.

Right now, I'm listening to Smooth Criminal.

Michael works with layers that are neatly woven into each other. Melody,Bass, string arrangments, ad libs, and lyrics.

Compared to other songs, they are more 'repetitive' like only use Bass or only melody and Michael as a pioneer takes it ONE step further.

His music speaks to your soul cause it comes straight from his own. :wub:

Passion ...creativity ...harmony ..and the truth is what drew me to listen to Michael

Back