What songs were removed from Off the Wall and History near or at the last minute?

Spaceship

Proud Member
"Carousel" was replaced by "Human Nature" at the last minute on Thriller, "Streetwalker" was replaced by "Another Part of Me" at the last minute on Bad, "Someone Put Your Hand Out" was removed from Dangerous shortly before the album came out (dunno if it was replaced by another song), "Shout" was replaced by "You Are My Life" at the last minute on Invincible.

So, did Off the Wall and History have last-minute changes like these? This would make a good poll.

I'm not talking about outtakes in general, but songs that were actually taken off the tracklist shortly before the album was released.

"Carousel" was replaced by "Human Nature" at the last minute on Thriller, "Streetwalker" was replaced by "Another Part of Me" at the last minute on Bad, "Someone Put Your Hand Out" was removed from Dangerous shortly before the album came out (dunno if it was replaced by another song), "Shout" was replaced by "You Are My Life" at the last minute on Invincible.

So, did Off the Wall and History have last-minute changes like these? This would make a good poll.
It isn't unusual when songs were replaced by others especially near the end of a album recording session.

Less usual it is, when the record company publishes a tracklist and songs got replaced afterwards.

btw I made a similar thread some time ago

I remember hearing that a song called Men In Black was removed from Dangerous at the last minute.
It was even on a very rare demo disc given to high profile people in Sony just before the album release.
True or not…I have no idea.

I remember hearing that a song called Men In Black was removed from Dangerous at the last minute.
It was even on a very rare demo disc given to high profile people in Sony just before the album release.
True or not…I have no idea.

It wasn't removed at the last minute. All of the songs produced by Bryan Loren were discarded by August 1991.

Not sure I’d call it last minute, but “Is It Scary” was up for HIStory until the final few weeks, and was scrapped because it required too much work (whatever that means).
Yes, Goin to Rio was supposed to be on Off The Wall, but it didn't make the album.
Innocent Man was taken out of HIStory
Neither of these are true.

'Monkey Business' was removed from the 'Dangerous' album at the last minute.

When the 'Dangerous' album was released, fans were shocked to see that this song was not on that album's track list.

'Escape' was also removed from the 'Invincible' album at the last minute.

When the 'Invincible' album was released, certain engineers (of that album) were shocked to see that this song was not on that album's track list.

'Monkey Business' was removed from the 'Dangerous' album at the last minute.

Nah it wasn't on the tracklist in August 1991. "Someone Put Your Hand Out" and "Blood on the Dance Floor" were the only outtakes on it.

'Escape' was also removed from the 'Invincible' album at the last minute.

It wasn't on the first proposed tracklist in 2001; "Shout" was the only outtake on it.

Nah it wasn't on the tracklist in August 1991. "Someone Put Your Hand Out" and "Blood on the Dance Floor" were the only outtakes on it.

It wasn't on the first proposed tracklist in 2001; "Shout" was the only outtake on it.
'Monkey Business' was extensively being reported, in the summer of 1991, as one of the hottest tracks of his upcoming 'Dangerous' album.
Where? The song didn't even exist LOL
Epic Records early press releases actually included 'In The Back' on the track list of the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album.

'Monkey Business' was extensively being reported, in the summer of 1991, as one of the hottest tracks of his upcoming 'Dangerous' album.

Reported, but we've seen leaked video of the tracklist in August 1991; "Monkey Business" wasn't there.

With that logic, Price of Fame was reported too. Same for a duett MJ feat. Barbra Streisand

If Wanna Be Starting Something was finished in time for Off the Wall would the sound have been drastically different?

'Monkey Business' was extensively being reported, in the summer of 1991
I remember in the mid-1980s, there was an article about Mike was planning on releasing an entire album of Beatles songs. Then in the late 1980s there was a report about a greatest hits album called Decade. Same for movies like Isoman Cross And Sons, Midknight & an Edgar Allen Poe biopic. Janet & Jermaine have mentioned a Jackson family tour (when Mike was still alive). There was also supposed to be a new Jacksons (all 6) group album that was going to be released on Randy's record label. I wonder what happened to all that. 🤣

Stevie Wonder himself has announced several albums that he (Stevie) was going to release, but they never came out. Going all the way back to Fulfillingness' Second Finale in the 1970s and more recently a gospel album & a country album. Lots of artists have mentioned things that they were going to do too, but nothing became of it.

Back