What to Expect for the 10th Anniversary from the MJ Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I recall the MJOnlineTeam stated something about Thriller + Ghosts double feature in the works for theaters release by Halloween this year?

And a Single would be great. Just one new Song from the vault.

If we do not expect anything we will not be disappointed...

What I hope for is another thing, there are sooo many things. A DVD for each album just with studio footage - see the magic be made...

New concerts - Destiny, Victory, BAD or Dangerous. - ALL his musicvideos in HD - Blu-Ray or 4K UHD.

New This Is It - the one we have is made a little like a concert - much more behind the scenes, sound checks, MJ running thru and rehearsing with dancers and musicians would be great. - More footage of MJ designing the stage, the cloth, MJ sharing ideas on how he wants the concert. - And of course the songs that was rehearsed we didn't get...

And much more footage of MJ singing - like Speechless, Human Nature and IJCSLY.

New songs would of course be great to - but only if they are good. - if it's demoes or not great tracks - release them on the TUC-like release mentioned above.. :)

Hey Guys!!!!

Long time no see...

Just wanted to give an idea:

Before we approach this sad anniversary in 2019, there is a much more positive & happy MJ anniversary nearing. And this in 2018.
Michael would have turned 60 this year, August 29th 2018...

IMHO this is the anniversary the estate should concentrate on & release one or two things from it's vaults.
This would be a much better & happier occasion than marking his death.

A Boxset for his 60th Birthday, containing 4-5 CD's & 1-2 BluRay's with some new demos & outtakes, concerts & a documentary.
Plus another double feature for Halloween containing Thriller & Ghosts in Bluray/4K, including the Making Of's to both of them.

Hey Guys!!!!

Long time no see...

Just wanted to give an idea:

Before we approach this sad anniversary in 2019, there is a much more positive & happy MJ anniversary nearing. And this in 2018.
Michael would have turned 60 this year, August 29th 2018...

IMHO this is the anniversary the estate should concentrate on & release one or two things from it's vaults.
This would be a much better & happier occasion than marking his death.

A Boxset for his 60th Birthday, containing 4-5 CD's & 1-2 BluRay's with some new demos & outtakes, concerts & a documentary.
Plus another double feature for Halloween containing Thriller & Ghosts in Bluray/4K, including the Making Of's to both of them

This is exactly my wish too. - Hope to see it happen, but I doubt it.

Also, I recall the MJOnlineTeam stated something about Thriller + Ghosts double feature in the works for theaters release by Halloween this year?

Didn't they say Thriller OR Ghosts? Either way they were very vague on exactly how, what, when.

The only thing that appeared to have a sense of being in the works was Thriller 3D. And all they said there was that they couldn't find a release to tag it onto last year so they'd look to find one this year. But the same could easily happen this Halloween as last year. It appears a little shambolic. No surprise there then.

Smh... at this point i don't even see them releasing thriller 3d.... or anything else. I think they just don't care anymore
I ??HATE??HIS??ESTATE??SO??BAD

Off The Wall doc was great tho...

He should finish his trilogy with Thriller, and then let someone else do the others.

IMO, Off the Wall is the worst Estate project. Even including Michael.

And what could be said about Thriller that we haven't heard a million times already? I'd be more interested in a documenatry about Dangerous or HIStory/BOTDF. And it doesn't have to be directed by Spike Lee. Someone else could do it

I can get behind this. If someone else is commissioned to put together a documentary, I'm all for it.

I agree. I would have bought it if they had included a Triumph tour show in full. Or even if Spike had shown a full song in his documentary.

Bad 25 was a great hybrid of a behind the scenes documentary, a series of interviews with the creatives behind the album, and a recognition of how the album has endured and influenced modern recording artists. The interviews with collaborators were charming, and the unseen studio/rehearsal footage was absolutely phenomenal and left me begging for more.

Off the Wall accomplished none of this. It was essentially an episode of The Questlove Show, where he and several of his celebrity friends sat down to talk about why they liked the album and crack jokes about memories that have nothing to do with the creation or development of the album, and then every so often an actual contributor (Stevie Wonder, Greg Phillinganes) would pop in for three sentences. The focus on contemporary artists was horribly misplaced, the decision to feature so much of Questlove and Rosie Perez annoyed the living hell out of me, and there was absolutely nothing to offer anyone who wanted to learn more about the album, whether you're a new fan or a lifelong admirer. I feel like such a lone wolf riffing on it, but to this day it's the worst thing the Estate has ever offered. Michael, in all its trashiness, at least gave me five new songs!

I too thought Off The Wall was a terrible release and neither product was worth a purchase. Spike nailed Bad 25 but Off the Wall was crap.

Next Album Doc NEEDS Full concert footage packaged with it. Period. Bad 25s success was because it had a great doc + Bad tour DVD/CD and new unheared music material.
Off The Wall doc was...just a doc. Nothing new or valuable accept some HD concert snippets...no Destiny or Triumph concert packaged with it, no unreleased audio to get excited behind. Nothing. Estate simply didn't put as much thought or effort ($) in OTW.
NEXT Project, Thriller or (Hopefully, Dangerous and then History) I hope they look back at Bad25 and, replicate it! It's not that hard estate...

Next Album Doc NEEDS Full concert footage packaged with it. Period. Bad 25s success was because it had a great doc + Bad tour DVD/CD and new unheared music material.
Off The Wall doc was...just a doc. Nothing new or valuable accept some HD concert snippets...no Destiny or Triumph concert packaged with it, no unreleased audio to get excited behind. Nothing. Estate simply didn't put as much thought or effort ($) in OTW.
NEXT Project, Thriller or (Hopefully, Dangerous and then History) I hope they look back at Bad25 and, replicate it!

It's not that hard estate...

A new album documentary means finding someone capable of taking the reigns and paying for the entirety of the project (i.e., any interviews conducted, remastering of old footage, any mechanical licenses that need be obtained).

A new concert would require the Estate to comb through the vaults and find a complete show that (a) is on film that can be upscaled to 1080p/4K, to avoid repeating the Wembley VHS controversy; and (b) features audio that is good enough to be released, to avoid repeating the Bucharest crowd noise controversy. If both of those cards play out in their favor, they still need to pay to have the show professionally upscaled and the audio to be digitally remastered.

I'll agree that the Estate has made some absurdly dumb decisions, but it's not always fair to shout "THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING" without considering precisely what they'd need to go through to get something done. At the end of the day, they're a business, and they wouldn't (and shouldn't) put large sums of money into something they don't think will sell. (Great as it was, Bad 25 and the Wembley concert DVD sold poorly. I also can't find a single sales number for the Off the Wall reissue or documentary, which says a great deal.)

A new album documentary means finding someone capable of taking the reigns and paying for the entirety of the project (i.e., any interviews conducted, remastering of old footage, any mechanical licenses that need be obtained).

A new concert would require the Estate to comb through the vaults and find a complete show that (a) is on film that can be upscaled to 1080p/4K, to avoid repeating the Wembley VHS controversy; and (b) features audio that is good enough to be released, to avoid repeating the Bucharest crowd noise controversy. If both of those cards play out in their favor, they still need to pay to have the show professionally upscaled and the audio to be digitally remastered.

I'll agree that the Estate has made some absurdly dumb decisions, but it's not always fair to shout "THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING" without considering precisely what they'd need to go through to get something done. At the end of the day, they're a business, and they wouldn't (and shouldn't) put large sums of money into something they don't think will sell. (Great as it was, Bad 25 and the Wembley concert DVD sold poorly. I also can't find a single sales number for the Off the Wall reissue or documentary, which says a great deal.)

I agree in general. I'm just stating why Bad25 worked and OTW didn't. The only thing that would have made bad25 better, was an HD Wembley show.
At this point, any new HQ show will do. As for exceptional audio, I doubt Wembley was the only dates recorded on multitrack. Triumph tour for example, had the live album release. Victory tour was planned for release (Promo footage shows HQ Film and audio). If the material still exists in the vaults then IMO its a no brainer to remaster, and package it for the next album doc.

No more Spike Lee docs. I want to see actual interesting documentaries about MJ and his albums. Detailing the making of them and all the details fans want to hear. His documentaries just boil down to celebrities saying how great he is. There's some cool stuff sure, but in general they are not very good. The OTW one is particularly insulting.

No more Spike Lee docs. I want to see actual interesting documentaries about MJ and his albums. Detailing the making of them and all the details fans want to hear. His documentaries just boil down to celebrities saying how great he is. There's some cool stuff sure, but in general they are not very good. The OTW one is particularly insulting.

I'd love to see a lot more of Michael at work in the studio and I'd like to hear more from people who worked with him, over many, many years (not Quincy Jones, though.....bleeech). It's why I love listening to Brad Sundberg....but there are so many others who could make a wonderful documentary, in my opinion.

Yes an I wish such a documentary would be broadcast on a mainstream channel at prime time. Too many times pro MJ shows are rejected by the main networks and shown off peak with only a small audience.

Yes an I wish such a documentary would be broadcast on a mainstream channel at prime time. Too many times pro MJ shows are rejected by the main networks and shown off peak with only a small audience.

Whitney Houston had a big documentary that exhibited in UK cinemas last year. There's another one coming this year too.

Since Michael passed, nothing.

Whitney Houston had a big documentary that exhibited in UK cinemas last year. There's another one coming this year too.

Since Michael passed, nothing.

Yes. The MJ Projects seem to miss the target most of the time.
There was obviously lots of interest in TII and the cinemas showed that, but no wide distribution for the Spike Lee docs. to be honest I don't think they'd attract an audience to the cinema anyway as they seemed too narrow in focus for the general public, but it would be nice to see something with wider appeal like with "Whitney: Can I be Me". Trouble with MJ's story is it is too long - childhood to 51 years old and there were too many twists and turns to even attempt a single standard length documentary. The Whitney doc I mentioned is only 105mins and tells her life story (apparently)!

I guess the only thing that would get the general public's attention is the allegations and the MJ Estate would always avoid publicising them, trouble is, they could never do a credible life story documentary without addressing them! Plus any estate sanctioned documentary will always be criticised for being too lenient on MJ and dismissed by media and general public alike. Media's criticism of Spike's docs often included that. Best we can hope for is a 3rd party documentary, but of course the MJ Estate would almost certainly refuse them the license to use MJ's music. It's a difficult situation.

Last edited:
Yes. The MJ Projects seem to miss the target most of the time.
There was obviously lots of interest in TII and the cinemas showed that, but no wide distribution for the Spike Lee docs. to be honest I don't think they'd attract an audience to the cinema anyway as they seemed too narrow in focus for the general public, but it would be nice to see something with wider appeal like with "Whitney: Can I be Me". Trouble with MJ's story is it is too long - childhood to 51 years old and there were too many twists and turns to even attempt a single standard length documentary. The Whitney doc I mentioned is only 105mins and tells her life story (apparently)!

I guess the only thing that would get the general public's attention is the allegations and the MJ Estate would always avoid publicising them, trouble is, they could never do a credible life story documentary without addressing them! Plus any estate sanctioned documentary will always be criticised for being too lenient on MJ and dismissed by media and general public alike. Media's criticism of Spike's docs often included that. Best we can hope for is a 3rd party documentary, but of course the MJ Estate would almost certainly refuse them the license to use MJ's music. It's a difficult situation.

I wonder how many times the Estate have been approached by serious filmmakers intending to document his life. I'm sure there's been a few.

I seen footage of mj & Quincy in the studio for the thriller sessions. Mj was bobbing his head. The clip was like 3seconds but it's out there in full somewhere!

To be honest, you're right.

Most of what is said in the Spike Lee documentaries is irrelevant and it's just opinions. The way they were saying "Just Good Friends" is not a good song and that still annoys me. Nobody asked for their opinion. Many MJ fans are probably fans of the song, please don't insult the people who are supposed to buy the DVD.

Everybody is trying to take credit for their part on the album. Too much praising Quincy but failed to mention the huge amount of work Michael put in those songs (like writing and composing them in the first place - especially true for the Bad album). Also what annoys me is not mentioning anything after Bad.

They need to show the making process for a song. The process for making a dance routine (like the clip of MJ rehearsing the Thriller moves from the making of Thriller video). And loads of full clips of performances, recording studio, demos and rehearsals. Only Another Part Of Me was shown in full.

Also Spike wants to do a Thriller doc but not anything after Bad. If you don't want to recognise Michael's success without Quincy, then you can go away.

Everybody is trying to take credit for their part on the album. Too much praising Quincy but failed to mention the huge amount of work Michael put in those songs (like writing and composing them in the first place - especially true for the Bad album). Also what annoys me is not mentioning anything after Bad.

They need to show the making process for a song. The process for making a dance routine (like the clip of MJ rehearsing the Thriller moves from the making of Thriller video). And loads of full clips of performances, recording studio, demos and rehearsals. Only Another Part Of Me was shown in full.

Also Spike wants to do a Thriller doc but not anything after Bad. If you don't want to recognise Michael's success without Quincy, then you can go away.

so much THIS

It's has been 10 years since Michael passed. this thread is an year old and well, for all the people who asked this. look at what we got this year. who knew this year was gonna turn out like this? i really hope 2020 will be better. please let it.

2019 was a very bad year for MJ and MJ fans...

LN - all the lies and bias...

Hope 2020 will be A LOT better and give us something new.

Hope 2020 will be A LOT better and give us something new.

tenor.gif

We all probably kicking ourselves from seeing how this was last thread compare to this year. but i hope 2020 will be better for MJ and us fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back