Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this is becoming a “cult” with the demo purists.

It’s not wrong to appreciate something different, especially if it’s better.

Nobody has said it's wrong to like the remixes.

Last edited:
I am all for remixes for posthumous albums like Xscape, as long as we get the original versions.

But I am totally against remixes on an anniversary editions. There is no need. Thriller is a commercial juggernaut even today. It is regularly on the billboard 200 charts. You don’t need to release a remix to appeal to the younger fans.

Also, the purpose of an anniversary edition is to highlight the sound of the original album, to further show appreciation to the sort of music that the artist was working on at that time. By remixing songs, you are doing the complete opposite.

I don’t care if they release a crappy remix of Billie Jean or Beat It, but they mustn’t remix never heard songs such as Chicago 1945 etc. Any unreleased song must be released in its original format.

I wonder what era Hot fun in summertime was recorded? If that could be a hit maybe that's one of the bangers that could be released?
Lets get Michael back in the charts for Summer.

John Branca has specifically mentioned this song a few times. They want to release it at some point. Those who have heard it say it’s a banger, but that was the version worked for Xscape. Who knows if we’ll get to hear that version.

What if ???

• The Promotion really kicks in on MJ’s birthday

Maybe start by announcing more of the content & activities being planned..

• Next step (end of September): Release a strong single from one of the unheard songs. Maybe Chicago 1945 in it’s OG form & with some different mixes to get the youth/club crowd going.

• Then come Halloween 🎃 👻: MJ-Thriller-Ween Special. Including Thriller short film & Making Of in GREAT quality. With heavy promotion for THRILLER 40.

• Next step: Release the whole damn thing. Plus a second single (again unheard, OG version + different mixes)

IMO that would be a really good road map to follow! And it would create buzz in sprints of roughly 4 weeks from his birthday on, until the release date.

I wonder why they never showed that Halloween special again. Lol "it'll be like a charlie brown show, every year... yeah ok. But I'm pretty sure if they were smart, they would release the 4k version of Thriller on Halloween & as a single to promote it

It would be funny if Hot Fun is a late era song, everyone assumed it was a Dangerous era song.

These are 5 songs that were written in the timeframe that would fit Thriller that I don't see mentioned often. I don't think we have much info on these except that they were registered and copywritten. No real info on the recording sessions, a few were intended for Thriller and The Toy was intended for the movie 'The Toy'... All written 1981/82

* The Toy
* MJ Melody
* Stand Tall
* Nymphette Love
* Who Do You Know

There's also songs like Doing Dirty, Slipped Away, Somewhere In Time and Attitude that are never mentioned, but I would be the most interested in hearing Nymphette Lover and MJ Melody even though it's probably not even a full song.

There's also songs like Doing Dirty, Slipped Away, Somewhere In Time and Attitude that are never mentioned, but I would be the most interested in hearing Nymphette Lover and MJ Melody even though it's probably not even a full song.
Still can’t find any evidence that “Attitude” exists. It doesn’t exist in any of the copyright registrars I’ve been able to find.

Plus, I’m pretty sure “Doing Dirty” is a Marlon song. He’s specifically mentioned on the copyright title.

Still can’t find any evidence that “Attitude” exists. It doesn’t exist in any of the copyright registrars I’ve been able to find.
It's mentioned on the book For The Record and it says it's registered with EMI Music Publishing, but I couldn't find any registry though, weird.
Plus, I’m pretty sure “Doing Dirty” is a Marlon song. He’s specifically mentioned on the copyright title.
I don't get this though, there are a lot of registries with Michael's name on the title and song writing credits.

Last edited:
Also there was Human Nature sung in a lower pitch, a different closing of Someone in the Dark, and a version of Lady in My Life with unreleased vocals.

Also there was Human Nature sung in a lower pitch, a different closing of Someone in the Dark, and a version of Lady in My Life with unreleased vocals.
Someone in the Dark is readily available

I got a great idea. Music video with studio footage. Easy way out for the Estate. Win for us.

Eminem and Snoop Dogg did this recently on a video for the Bored Apes Club (ugh). I don’t endorses this kind of NFT, but they made a video from studio footage and animation in good taste.

If it worked for them (as the boomers of rap along with the Doc) I’m sure there would be no issue for MJ.

I got a great idea. Music video with studio footage. Easy way out for the Estate. Win for us.

Eminem and Snoop Dogg did this recently on a video for the Bored Apes Club (ugh). I don’t endorses this kind of NFT, but they made a video from studio footage and animation in good taste.

If it worked for them (as the boomers of rap along with the Doc) I’m sure there would be no issue for MJ.
I would love to see this, IMO tribute dancing clips like Hold My Hand and Love Never Felt So Good got stale so I would rather have this or have clips with Behind the scenes footage like APWNN.

Anybody ever notice that botdf bgv sounds exactly almost identical to rwy bgv (blood on my side) (rock right)

It's an anniversary re-release, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high guys. I want to get onboard the hype-train, but it's easier to expect less and then be pleasantly surprised

A couple of unheard outtakes and maybe an unheard demo

It's also the most important release to the estate since This is it! So it needs to be a commercial success.
With it being Thriller it needs no introduction but needs more for people other fans to be interested. That's why I think there will be huge push with this and part of it will be the making of his films into 4k and maybe concert releases.

I think it's likely they don't include a lot of the more finished stuff we'd want. Honestly if there's some stuff that's not very finished I'd probably prefer hearing that to the leaks that we've had for years. It's been the argument for years that they don't have very much and that's why they're not doing anniversary releases for other albums (don't agree with that at all but just for arguments sake) so including stuff that isn't that finished and can't be used elsewhere is a good compromise (and also would be very appealing for me personally lol).

Obviously I know they're gonna include the leaks and there's nothing wrong with that I'm just thinking out loud lol.

I think it's likely they don't include a lot of the more finished stuff we'd want. Honestly if there's some stuff that's not very finished I'd probably prefer hearing that to the leaks that we've had for years. It's been the argument for years that they don't have very much and that's why they're not doing anniversary releases for other albums (don't agree with that at all but just for arguments sake) so including stuff that isn't that finished and can't be used elsewhere is a good compromise (and also would be very appealing for me personally lol).

Obviously I know they're gonna include the leaks and there's nothing wrong with that I'm just thinking out loud lol.
Don't forget gems like a Pitbull remix of PYT or a The Weeknd Billie Jean remix lol

So far they haven't released the latest existing mixes whenever earlier versions were available. (DBMR, PoF, AC, DYKWYCA, BG, Escape). If the Estate would make an exception for T40?

So far they haven't released the latest existing mixes whenever earlier versions were available. (DBMR, PoF, AC, DYKWYCA, BG, Escape). If the Estate would make an exception for T40?

I won't be surprised if they just use a bunch of crappy random mix downs for all the demos like they did for Xscape. Hopefully I'm wrong.

So far they haven't released the latest existing mixes whenever earlier versions were available. (DBMR, PoF, AC, DYKWYCA, BG, Escape).
I don't see the point in releasing the Dangerous era versions of PoF and DBMR instead of the Bad era versions on a Bad celebration album, but honestly I would love to see how Chicago 1945 and Cheater from the Invincible sessions sounded like.

I don't see the point in releasing the Dangerous era versions of PoF and DBMR instead of the Bad era versions on a Bad celebration album, but honestly I would love to see how Chicago 1945 and Cheater from the Invincible sessions sounded like.
For both, DBMR & PoF, there are unreleased 1986/87 mixes done by Bruce Swedien at Westlake.

As for Rodneys mixes of Cheater & Chicago 1945, MJ requested Rodney to overdub the songs with new ideas. I assume Michael didn't like the outcome as he had discarded Rodneys work on Cheater in the mid 2000s when pulled out the 1987 tapes to work on it again. I guess same procedure for Chicago 1945, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back