Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it would be just about enough to buy the CD and a bottle of wine 😂

But seriously people, start new threads, it's free, and keep them on topic. It helps everyone.
just alerting everyone since this thread is very active

It almost seems like the music is early eighties and the vocals Bad Era
Actually in listening to it again, I'm still hearing a lot of Thriller vibes. I've noticed recently that MJ sounded a lot like he did on BAD during the Victory Tour so the grit was there. Compare it to, the ad libs of PYT, or the chorus of Say Say Say. Idk, it sounds too youthful. Latest I'd date this version is 1986. It's really right in between Thriller-Bad era.

Compare it to, the ad libs of PYT, or the chorus of Say Say Say. Idk, it sounds too youthful. Latest I'd date this version is 1986. It's really right in between Thriller-Bad era.
Again, Porcaro confirmed that this song and 'Dream Away' were both recorded one week after the 'Thriller' album came out. So, December 1982.

Again, Porcaro confirmed that this song and 'Dream Away' were both recorded one week after the 'Thriller' album came out. So, December 1982.
1983 is what I've been saying. But 1982 makes the most sense since it's accurate. Post- Thriller era. It doesn't sound like a Bad outtake to me, was my point.

Actually in listening to it again, I'm still hearing a lot of Thriller vibes. I've noticed recently that MJ sounded a lot like he did on BAD during the Victory Tour so the grit was there. Compare it to, the ad libs of PYT, or the chorus of Say Say Say. Idk, it sounds too youthful. Latest I'd date this version is 1986. It's really right in between Thriller-Bad era.
Yes it's strange. I think most of the vocals sound very 'Bad era' but some bits also remind me of 'Behind the Mask,' which is even pre-Thriller

Damien is absolutely right on this. It’s wrong that this song is being shared illegally. It is not what Michael would want. Your personal attacks are conpletely unneccesary and frankly come off as some kind of jealous obsession. The work Damien has put in to researchinf and supporting Michael is incredible imo so just take a breath ok?
Jealous obsession? Haha okay there Sigmund FRAUD, save the arm chair psychiatry for someone else. It’s not that serious so miss me with that nonsense. It’s as simple as you and everyone else chastising the leakers and the fan base for enjoying them need to take a hike. I think you forget, we’re fans! That’s why we come here and discuss releases etc, and Michael has been gone for 13 years and isn’t coming back, ergo I’m going to enjoy and soak up as much as I can from the vaults that get released or leaked and I really couldn’t give less of a damn what some moral high ground soapbox preachers have to say ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING.. YOU ALL LISTENED TO THEM TOO! You’re just as guilty but worse, you’re hypocrites! Stand for something or fall for everything and you all couldn’t even stick to your guns/principles.

Now, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Mine being that I want as much material as possible and I’ll gladly take the leaks but if ever officially released, I’ll gladly purchase them to get HQ, support further releases and Michael’s family.

I think the only thing that does matter is supporting the official releases in addition to the leaks. Some people out here would only go for the latter, and that's unfair. Like sure, hate Sony, MJs kids have enough money. But appreciate MJ and whatever contribution to his accolades you can add instead of pirating the man even in death as he was alive.

Jealous obsession? Haha okay there Sigmund FRAUD, save the arm chair psychiatry for someone else. It’s not that serious so miss me with that nonsense. It’s as simple as you and everyone else chastising the leakers and the fan base for enjoying them need to take a hike. I think you forget, we’re fans! That’s why we come here and discuss releases etc, and Michael has been gone for 13 years and isn’t coming back, ergo I’m going to enjoy and soak up as much as I can from the vaults that get released or leaked and I really couldn’t give less of a damn what some moral high ground soapbox preachers have to say ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING.. YOU ALL LISTENED TO THEM TOO! You’re just as guilty but worse, you’re hypocrites! Stand for something or fall for everything and you all couldn’t even stick to your guns/principles.

Now, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Mine being that I want as much material as possible and I’ll gladly take the leaks but if ever officially released, I’ll gladly purchase them to get HQ, support further releases and Michael’s family.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. That’s absolutely fine. And if you want to listen to them, again, that’s your choice. Just be aware that they were obtained illegally and are the property of Steve Porcaro. You really don’t need to attack other people in the way you have been.

I’m not sure who your referring to with the “your all guilty hypocrtites” dialogue. When have I ever said I’ve listened to them? Also, Damien wasn’t talking about fans LISTENING to them but the fact that the people who recorded/uploaded it illegally have broken the trust of the song’s owner.

The estate should release for Thriller40 official videos for at least Human Nature and Wanna Be Starting. We were promised 5 videos. I hope these are the other 2. A song, without a video, is half a project in modern times. All major artists, like Madonna and Elton John, all have official videos, for all their songs, even if not made at the time. MJ DOES NOT. Not expensive to make, editing creatively, say video footage , excitingly edited, from live premances or images at the time, to the radio version. Young people watch videos on you tube. There are none for these songs. Video music channels do not play them! I fear these songs will have less impact , in the future, without an official video. It is crazy to think that the man and album , Thriller, which created modern Muaic video, has no videos, for three of the most well known songs of all time - WBSS, HN, PYT. Is it me this only really bothers and upsets?

The estate should release for Thriller40 official videos for at least Human Nature and Wanna Be Starting. We were promised 5 videos. I hope these are the other 2
oh, that sounds like lot of work. They will have to gather footage from different performance and then create mix from it, they will be all different qualities. Don't think that's going to happen.

Isn't the original demo from Xscape a different vocal take (at least in soke parts) compared to the leaked one we had?
The remix had different vocals in it towards the end I think. I'd need to listen to the demo again but don't recall it being different.

Isn't the original demo from Xscape a different vocal take (at least in some parts) compared to the leaked one we had? Late 80s and early 90s
It could be a different vocal take but it’s not a later recording I believe. Just an alternate take from the same sessions I believe. I could be wrong but many sources has said this was cut for the bad album.

Is it me this only really bothers and upsets?
It doesn't upset me but it does seem like a missed opportunity. It's a bit weird, for sure.

The estate should release for Thriller40 official videos for at least Human Nature and Wanna Be Starting.
I'd definitely be up for that. For myself, I'm not bothered about PYT but these two deserve an official video.

Not expensive to make, editing creatively, say video footage , excitingly edited, from live premances or images at the time, to the radio version.
I don't watch a lot of fan-made videos but there are some really good ones around. The Estate should be able to at least match that. It would be a lovely creative project for someone to work on. It can't be that complicated and, as you say, definitely not expensive. There's tons of existing footage.

I fear these songs will have less impact , in the future, without an official video.
Maybe they could get someone to create videos for these songs to celebrate their 40th anniversaries next year. Doesn't have to be a big T40-type thing. A project which is smaller and more fan-focused is fine. It probably won't happen bc such a project wouldn't generate lots of commercial success and that's what they always seem to go for.

oh, that sounds like lot of work. They will have to gather footage from different performance and then create mix from it, they will be all different qualities. Don't think that's going to happen.
Mm, I don't think it would be that hard. When a band releases a video which is from their live shows they pretty much are always taken from more than one gig. Lay Your Hands On Me by Bon Jovi was taken from 7 different gigs, allegedly. Even if that info is incorrect, you can certainly see at least 3 different shows represented in the vid. You can see it just from Jon's different outfits. APOM is made up of footage from Wembley but also a French gig and a German gig, I think. I can definitely see more than one show in that video. Even just using footage from 2 different gigs works really well. Sweet Soul Sister by The Cult is brilliantly edited and they only had footage from 2 shows to work with. Pearl Jam's 'Alive' video - some reports say 2 shows were used, other reports say it was all from just one show. Either way, it looks amazing. Beautiful editing.

The videos don't have to *only* include live footage, of course. There's plenty of other stuff they can use, as well.

I think you're right. I don't think it's going to happen. But it would be an easy project for the Estate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back