Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This made my day:ROFLMAO:

(credits: https://twitter.com/Zolex_Design/)
qMTf8lj.png
Track 6 is a great one.

It would be interesting if the second disc had the first version of Thriller, that went to Bernie Grundman for mastering... it came back and sounded bad... it was too long for a vinyl record. So they took some extra weeks to edit the album; make it shorter. But that limitation in length is no longer relevant. I would like to hear the longer versions of the songs (Thriller itself had the third rap by Vincent Price, Billie Jean had a longer intro, and so on).

That would be a cool inclusion if this was a six disc set lol. As it stands I'll take demos etc instead.

So we haven't heard anything since the announcement a month ago. I think it would be smart to announce something around the time of MJ's death anniversary, maybe a song that would be on the disc 2 of the 40th anniversary edition. Maybe even release a single on June 25.

btw now they say unreleased demos: "Experience the world’s biggest-selling album with over 100 million in sales – and the first album to be certified triple Diamond by the RIAA – on this new Thriller 40th Anniversary 2CD set. Disc 1: Michael Jackson’s 1982 smash album Thriller changed pop music forever. This original album, featuring seven top 10 hits including “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller,” helped Michael win a record-setting eight Grammy Awards in one night. Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos."

btw now they say unreleased demos: "Experience the world’s biggest-selling album with over 100 million in sales – and the first album to be certified triple Diamond by the RIAA – on this new Thriller 40th Anniversary 2CD set. Disc 1: Michael Jackson’s 1982 smash album Thriller changed pop music forever. This original album, featuring seven top 10 hits including “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller,” helped Michael win a record-setting eight Grammy Awards in one night. Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos."
"Thriller-era". This could mean something like Chicago 1945 gets released. I think the Estate really wants this out there but with Porcaro saying no to remixing it, this could be the time.

Technically not a Thriller outtake as it was recorded in 1984, but it's "Thriller-era" and at this point, I could care less it's not technically a Thriller outtake. Let's just hear it!

It would be interesting if the second disc had the first version of Thriller, that went to Bernie Grundman for mastering... it came back and sounded bad... it was too long for a vinyl record. So they took some extra weeks to edit the album; make it shorter. But that limitation in length is no longer relevant. I would like to hear the longer versions of the songs (Thriller itself had the third rap by Vincent Price, Billie Jean had a longer intro, and so on).
It would make no sense to release stuff that was scrapped at that time.

They also would have a problem advertising it.

Remember, even Michael Jackson himself found this first version of the album not good at all for also another reason: because he and his team finished it under pressure of time in order to meet the record company's deadline.

In order to meet this deadline, they began the mixing process when they were still recording the 'Thriller' album, which generally is not a proper method when making an album.

I might be wrong, but from what I know some of them were released as 12" singles around the world.

And this one, which was put on the Rod Temperton CD and later shared by Brad Sundberg in better quality.

Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos."
I'm even more excited for this album now, this means we could get songs from Triumph and Victory, I really hope we get Buffalo Bill and Victory.

But I wonder though, are they now saying "Thriller era demos" instead of "Demos worked for the Thriller album" because they couldn't get permission from Quincy Jones so now they had to expand to other albums? It's interesting to think.

Last edited:
It won't be surprising to me if Quincy prevents anything that he needs to sign off on being included.

I am fully expecting the tracklist for CD 2 to be something along the likes of:
-Sunset Driver
-Hot Street
-She's Trouble
-Beat it Remix feat. Literally who?
-Song Remix feat. Literally who?????
God i hope am wrong though :cry:

I am fully expecting the tracklist for CD 2 to be something along the likes of:
-Sunset Driver
-Hot Street
-She's Trouble
-Beat it Remix feat. Literally who?
-Song Remix feat. Literally who?????
God i hope am wrong though :cry:
Isn't Sunset Driver from 1978-79?

Never quite understood the claims that sunset driver is an OTW outtake. It sounds like something meant for the Triumph or Thriller albums

The demo is from 1978 but the version we have is the rework from 1982. The Estate said no re-releases so it's not coming out on Thriller 40.

No re-releases? Where?
"Experience the world’s biggest-selling album with over 100 million in sales – and the first album to be certified triple Diamond by the RIAA – on this new Thriller 40th Anniversary 2CD set. Disc 1: Michael Jackson’s 1982 smash album Thriller changed pop music forever. This original album, featuring seven top 10 hits including “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller,” helped Michael win a record-setting eight Grammy Awards in one night. Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos." Implying no re-releases.

"Experience the world’s biggest-selling album with over 100 million in sales – and the first album to be certified triple Diamond by the RIAA – on this new Thriller 40th Anniversary 2CD set. Disc 1: Michael Jackson’s 1982 smash album Thriller changed pop music forever. This original album, featuring seven top 10 hits including “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller,” helped Michael win a record-setting eight Grammy Awards in one night. Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos." Implying no re-releases.
not only

It says including unreleased demos. That doesn't imply that there won't be any previously released stuff on there.

I hope they don't mean Hot Street, Nightline (or Nite Line), Starlight and the others. I hope for an unedited It Don't Matter To Me vocal session and other unleaked stuff. Hopefully there will be also a 2LP set

Including previously unreleased demos doesn't exclude re-releases completely.

I think they will re-issue Carousel and a few others.

I hope they don't mean Hot Street, Nightline (or Nite Line), Starlight and the others. I hope for an unedited It Don't Matter To Me vocal session and other unleaked stuff. Hopefully there will be also a 2LP set
I wouldn't expect more than 2 unleaked demos TBF, most of the outtakes from Thriller has already been leaked and they can't release all the content they have because they still have Thriller 50 to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back