Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thriller 50, Thriller 75, Thriller 100 are certainties 😂 We might actually have the full version of Carousel by thriller 100! Somebody has to revive me by then though.

You just know this record is going to get milked to infinity and it is actually kind of sad because it limits efforts to revive his other music. But I always find something to complain… 😜

Thriller 40 seems like such a weird celebration to begin with. I understand that it’s an important milestone, but why not hold back and do something truly gargantuan for Thriller 50?
I think the Estate is testing the waters to see if people will still want to buy MJ's music, doing it under his most acclaimed album is the safest bet for them.

Thriller 40 seems like such a weird celebration to begin with. I understand that it’s an important milestone, but why not hold back and do something truly gargantuan for Thriller 50?
I think it is some kind of testing ground post LN.
Waiting 10 more years is just too long given what has happened the last 3 years. Believe it or not but also MJ will one day be forgotten

Michael Jackson will never be forgotten. That you can be sure of.
Ok but how will he be remembered, as a monster or an artist… it is still in the balance. Next couple of years are going to be exciting, I hope for the best.

Because they're gonna do the exact same thing for thriller 50. Maybe with a slightly better new logo.

I really hope this project succeeds and the Estate is open to making more celebration albums, Bad 40 is right around the corner and it's a great opportunity for them to release Chicago 1945 without the need of any "modernization", not to mention the loads of other songs from that era as well.

Ok but how will he be remembered, as a monster or an artist… it is still in the balance. Next couple of years are going to be exciting, I hope for the best.

In the grand scheme of things, decades down the road... he will be remembered for his music/dancing legacy. The controversy will just be a silent footnote. In the short to medium term Im sure there will be some controversy lingering.

"Thriller-era". This could mean something like Chicago 1945 gets released. I think the Estate really wants this out there but with Porcaro saying no to remixing it, this could be the time.

Technically not a Thriller outtake as it was recorded in 1984, but it's "Thriller-era" and at this point, I could care less it's not technically a Thriller outtake. Let's just hear it!
Perhaps. Remember, on T25 they've sold us For All Time as an unreleased Thriller track.

Apropos Thriller25, back then MJs attorney Peter Lopez said MJ's been working on tracks for inclusion on T25, one of them being DBMA.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind to see MJs 2007 mix of Don't Be Messin' Around on T40.

Best to keep expectations low on Disc 2. I think the estate has learnt not to "waste" quality unreleased material on anniversary editions.

Bad 25 was the best feeling I've had as a fan since 2009, but if they could go back and change that tracklist, I bet they would have saved Price Of Fame, I'm So Blue and even Al Capone for actual album releases.

With Thriller 40 being the first big release post covid and post LN I doubt they'll want to gamble too heavily.

I'm hoping for an unreleased track and maybe an interesting demo recording

Last edited:
Apropos Thriller25, back then MJs attorney Peter Lopez said MJ's been working on tracks for inclusion on T25, one of them being DBMA.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind to see MJs 2007 mix of Don't Be Messin' Around on T40.

I honestly doubt he did anything new for it and it was probably just mixed again to be included on the album.

I really hope The Estate will give us a good surprise this time and give us a lot like BAD25.

A concert with The Jacksons from Thriller era would be the best they could release - but I know then it's not only The Estatse, but also the brothers and the label they worked under back then. - But still, if it exists in good quality with good sound - please release it!

How come he got to hear Chicago 45? What is the background of this story?
I'm jealous

i so hope that song will be on Thriller40.

they will probably wait for Thriller50 :(

Interesting. He has finished the song himself posthumously? Wonder if that'll mean we'll never hear the original version.

I forget when I said it, but back when Porcaro mentioned turning down the Estate because of their “straight to remix” policy, I predicted that his issue was that he wouldn’t be involved. Seems like he doesn’t mind doing some posthumous touch-up work.

The fact the song's received finishing touches by Steve gives hope it might get released on a future project. On T40 maybe?

I forget when I said it, but back when Porcaro mentioned turning down the Estate because of their “straight to remix” policy, I predicted that his issue was that he wouldn’t be involved. Seems like he doesn’t mind doing some posthumous touch-up work.
I'm strickly against any reworked versions the Estate has released so far. But I can't see any harm when some gentle touches are made as long as stays "itself". Think if the several songs on OTW, Thriller & Bad where their album versions were replaced by their single mixes on subsequent copies.

I'm pretty sure the actual producer of the song would not "contemporize" it.

I think you can have a problem with them making new songs and just using MJ's vocals and still be fine doing some small alterations. My only concern really is that if it's released we may not hear how it was left originally if he's made some small additions.

I think you can have a problem with them making new songs and just using MJ's vocals and still be fine doing some small alterations. My only concern really is that if it's released we may not hear how it was left originally if he's made some small additions.
No doubt! There’s a fine line between the two and I respect his stance totally. The only downside is that, had he given it up for Xscape, we WOULD have heard the original on the deluxe edition, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back