What unreleased songs have a chance to be #1 hits if they were officially released?

rsggamer123

Proud Member
What unreleased or leaked songs have a chance to be #1 hits if they were officially released?

Personally i feel that Slave To The Rythym (even though it has been around for a couple of years now and gained a bit of attention a few months back with the Beiber 'duet') could still be a number one hit if it were released. I don't mean the leaked version though, i think it will need to be worked on some more if it were to goto #1.

Do you believe there are any other contenders that could be a number one hit if they were released today?

None. Because there will never be enought promotion for one song or album again to move things high enough into public consciousness to get a no.1. Unless theres some unexpected publicity for whatever reason.

Actually the MJ & Justin Bieber "duet" would be the best shot to get a good chart position...
because its polarizing making people talk about it... and the song is good too. Even with Bieber on it. Still a No.1 (Pop sales chart) is unlikely.

Hmm...I'd have to say:

1. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
2. Chicago (even though we haven't heard it yet)
3. (I heard there's a song he made with Amy Winehouse, so that one just might.)

There's a lot more, but it'd be a LONG list :p

Electro;3939310 said:
None. Because there will never be enought promotion for one song or album again to move things high enough into public consciousness to get a no.1. Unless theres some unexpected publicity for whatever reason.

Actually the MJ & Justin Bieber "duet" would be the best shot to get a good chart position...
because its polarizing making people talk about it... and the song is good too. Even with Bieber on it. Still a No.1 (Pop sales chart) is unlikely.

I suggested a while ago that the Estate find an unfinished duet Michael was working on, and then bring in a highly respected and very popular artist to finish off the duet. I think the perfect choice would be Beyoncé. She's always had respect and admiration for Michael, she's incredibly talented and extremely popular (did you see how the internet went absolutely crazy when she suddenly dropped her new album 2 days ago?!). If they don't have any duets, they could always use a song that was written but not fully recorded, or a song Michael had written and recorded. I know that some fans wouldn't like that because they'd consider it tampering with his art, but we know that Michael too had a high admiration for Beyoncé and he always wanted to be atop the charts so it's possible he wouldn't be against the idea.

You all saw what happened with 'Slave 2 The Rhythm' and that was Justin Bieber - someone who's popularity has decreased, isn't that well respected and the song wasn't even released! Now imagine it with Beyoncé, someone who is highly respected and popular, and it was officially released - the internet and the music industry would go WILD! Imagine that... "Michael Jackson feat. Beyoncé"... wow :girl_sigh:

If the song is excellent and it featured Beyoncé as a guest artist, I can easily see the single performing phenomenally on the charts. I believe that would be the best chance for an unreleased MJ song to go #1 on the charts.

I disagree. Butterflies was released as a single, and despite no promotion from Sony, or a video to back the song, it still stormed up the charts. Didn't hit number 1 but came awfully close.

I think songs like Slave, Blue Gangsta and A Place Without No Name could do well. Maybe even Escape.

If done right, the Freddie Mercury duet(s) could do it in the UK, because of the massive interest in both Michael and Freddie with them being regarded as musical legends. I would personally love to see my two heroes reach number one after their death together

HIStoric;3939354 said:
I suggested a while ago that the Estate find an unfinished duet Michael was working on, and then bring in a highly respected and very popular artist to finish off the duet. I think the perfect choice would be Beyoncé. She's always had respect and admiration for Michael, she's incredibly talented and extremely popular (did you see how the internet went absolutely crazy when she suddenly dropped her new album 2 days ago?!). If they don't have any duets, they could always use a song that was written but not fully recorded, or a song Michael had written and recorded. I know that some fans wouldn't like that because they'd consider it tampering with his art, but we know that Michael too had a high admiration for Beyoncé and he always wanted to be atop the charts so it's possible he wouldn't be against the idea.

You all saw what happened with 'Slave 2 The Rhythm' and that was Justin Bieber - someone who's popularity has decreased, isn't that well respected and the song wasn't even released! Now imagine it with Beyoncé, someone who is highly respected and popular, and it was officially released - the internet and the music industry would go WILD! Imagine that... "Michael Jackson feat. Beyoncé"... wow :girl_sigh:

If the song is excellent and it featured Beyoncé as a guest artist, I can easily see the single performing phenomenally on the charts. I believe that would be the best chance for an unreleased MJ song to go #1 on the charts.

To be honest Beyonce's popularity has declined too. I would not jump to conclusions because of how her latest album did for a couple of days. It got the hype and buzz because it was released so unexpectedly, as a surprise, and it's kind of a new model to release everything at once from an album (all videos etc.). But once the hype is over and the dust settles that's when we will see how popular she still is. Actually, rumour has it that she released her album this way because her record company thought there were no hit singles on it.

I have nothing against her (though her music never did anything to me, but she's a nice girl and always spoke respectfully of MJ), just putting this hype around her latest album into a perspective. Her album before was actually a flop and her sales has been in a steady decline for years. This new album may do well for a week or two because of the hype and buzz, but it's always long term that determines whether an album is a success or a flop. And the downside of releasing everything at once from that album is that it may get some instant hype but in two weeks that hype will be over and then what? Everything is already released from it, nothing to look forward.

But she and MJ singing a "duet" together could still work if the song is great. Obviously despite of her decline Beyoncé is still a major current artist who gets more attention from the general public now that MJ does. It may help MJ get more attention and it may help her too to re-establish herself. Michael liked her so I'm not against it.

respect77;3939402 said:
To be honest Beyonce's popularity has declined too. I would not jump to conclusions because of how her latest album did for a couple of days. It got the hype and buzz because it was released so unexpectedly, as a surprise, and it's kind of a new model to release everything at once from an album (all videos etc.). But once the hype is over and the dust settles that's when we will see how popular she still is. Actually, rumour has it that she released her album this way because her record company thought there were no hit singles on it.

I have nothing against her (though her music never did anything to me, but she's a nice girl and always spoke respectfully of MJ), just putting this hype around her latest album into a perspective. Her album before was actually a flop and her sales has been in a steady decline for years. This new album may do well for a week or two because of the hype and buzz, but it's always long term that determines whether an album is a success or a flop. And the downside of releasing everything at once from that album is that it may get some instant hype but in two weeks that hype will be over and then what? Everything is already released from it, nothing to look forward.

But she and MJ singing a "duet" together could still work if the song is great. Obviously despite of her decline Beyoncé is still a major current artist who gets more attention from the general public now that MJ does. It may help MJ get more attention and it may help her too to re-establish herself. Michael liked her so I'm not against it.

You make some good points on her new album so guess we'll have to wait and see! Pretty sure the 'no singles' rumour is a lie though as the first two singles will be released in 2 days ('Blow' and 'Drunk in Love'). I wouldn't call her last album a flop either, though it was certainly less successful than her previous albums.

I haven't really noticed a decline in her popularity to be honest... but I don't really limit popularity to album sales. Her current concert tour has done extremely well and may actually do better than her last one by the looks of things. Her current tour is just over half way through and has already outgrossed the previous tour. It also appears that more people will see her show this time around (but we can't be 100% sure until it ends in late March at the earliest). If there has been a decline in her popularity, I think it's been pretty minor, if that. Reading the commercial performance of her current tour shows that she is still extremely popular ^_^

^ And Justin Bieber concerts do not sell out? Or why do you say then that Bieber has declined but Beyoncé did not?

I didn´t even knew she released an album the other day. I know no song with her or her former band. She doesn´t interest me at all. And I have noticed it´s the same way with many american artists that are talked about on the board ( I know the old ones). I know more songs with Elvis than any of the ones that are popular these days. I do know a few with Lady Gaga though. And I can listen to a few of her songs since she is not wailing the whole time. I don´t like the wailing thing so many do these days. Sorry for ranting away.. But non of these artist I want in a duet with Michael.

Virre;3939426 said:
I didn´t even knew she released an album the other day. I know no song with her or her former band. She doesn´t interest me at all. And I have noticed it´s the same way with many american artists that are talked about on the board ( I know the old ones). I know more songs with Elvis than any of the ones that are popular these days. I do know a few with Lady Gaga though. And I can listen to a few of her songs since she is not wailing the whole time. I don´t like the wailing thing so many do these days. Sorry for ranting away.. But non of these artist I want in a duet with Michael.

It sounds like you don't really keep up with modern acts but instead focus more-so on older artists, so it's understandable you weren't aware of the albums release (Though I did see it mentioned on multiple news websites, but it's also understandable that it didn't catch your eye since she isn't something that interests you).

Both Gaga and Beyonce are amazing singers, she (Beyonce) doesn't 'wail' either - she has an absolutely beautiful voice ^_^

respect77;3939421 said:
^ And Justin Bieber concerts do not sell out? Or why do you say then that Bieber has declined but Beyoncé did not?

I say his popularity has declined largely due to his behaviour over the past year. Personally, I used to actually like the kid. He was just a kid living his dream and I do like a small number of his songs. It's catchy pop, fun to listen to sometimes! Then he tried to put on this 'bad boy' act and starting doing stupid shit and becoming increasingly disrespectful at times:

• Spitting off the balcony (The tabloids say onto his fans, but his fans say he was doing it into some bins. I'm not sure which, but regardless it's still disgusting).
• Urinating into a restaurants mop bucket.
• Speeding dangerously through the streets of his gated neighbourhood, despite being repeatedly asked to slow down by neighbours.
• Wrote in a guestbook at the Anne Frank house about how he hoped Anne Frank would've been a Belieber (which many considered disrespectful given the nature of the location he was at).
• Caught smoking, what was apparently, marijuana back in January. (I'm honestly not really against him doing drugs, he's a teen he's going to experiment, but there are a number of parents who wouldn't like it due to the fact he's a role model for their children).
• Cops in Sweden found drugs on his tour bus (While I'm not sure if they were Bieber's drugs, it still reflected negatively on him as it was his party bus).
• Constantly turning up late for his shows during his Believe tour (Keeping in mind a number of his fans are younger and do not have the privilege of staying up late, thus they can't spend all night waiting for him).

I've just noticed a lot of people's attitudes (both in real life and in comments online) have gone from "Oh he's just a kid doing what he loves, he does nothing wrong, leave him alone" to "He's become such a brat, he's so disrespectful - it's like the fame has gone to his head" over the past year or so.

That's why I say his popularity has decreased, because his negative and repeated disrespectful behaviour have caused people to not like him as much. It would certainly turn off some fans as well. Compare that to Beyoncé, who has pretty much always had quite a positive public image and I hope you see the point I'm making. I certainly don't hate the kid (I don't hate any artist for that matter), but I'm personally not as fond of him as I was a year ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning on-topic however, I think the song that would have the most chance at reaching #1 (that wouldn't be a duet with a popular living artist) would be Slave to the Rhythm, I think it's one of his best unreleased works! Although I feel like the album itself is more likely to top the charts than a single.

Last edited:
^ But that's an image problem. One can have a good image and still become boring for the public.

I only asked you about Bieber because you said his career is in decline and Beyoncé's is not. I'm not familiar with Bieber's tours because I don't follow him, but if he still sells out then I don't see that as a difference between him and Beyoncé, regardless of image.

PS: I'm not saying MJ should duet with Bieber - not at all! LOL. I'm just not sure why if Bieber is in decline Beyoncé is not.

I actually don't focus on anything. I listen to the radio daily, a channel that plays both new and old ones, but not way to old, but some songs from the eighties. And a lot of Michael too. And they do play Beyoncé but I change channel most of the time when they do. I don't like her voice at all. But we all can't like the same.

HIStoric;3939354 said:
I suggested a while ago that the Estate find an unfinished duet Michael was working on, and then bring in a highly respected and very popular artist to finish off the duet. I think the perfect choice would be Beyoncé. She's always had respect and admiration for Michael, she's incredibly talented and extremely popular (did you see how the internet went absolutely crazy when she suddenly dropped her new album 2 days ago?!).
I'm not sure of what song I would pick, but I agree that Beyonce would be a great choice. I never paid that much attention to her music, but always thought she was beautiful.
But I happened on a video of her concert after Michael passed away and she sang "I Can't Help It" (one of my favorite songs) and it was just wonderful. I did see the internet and now the news channels all going crazy over this new album, so whatever they did together would shoot to number one.

Last edited:
I disagree. Butterflies was released as a single, and despite no promotion from Sony, or a video to back the song, it still stormed up the charts. Didn't hit number 1 but came awfully close.

I think songs like Slave, Blue Gangsta and A Place Without No Name could do well. Maybe even Escape.

There might not have been much promo for the Butterflies single, but it sure still benefitted from the fact that it was released from an album release that was big news to all media, and that was previously promoted with new videoclips (YRMW, Cry) etc.

Today, media is hardly involved at all whatever is getting released by Michael. MJ music is a nieche market now and hardly relevant to the everyday mainstream pop circus.

Also wasn't the "No.1" that Butterflies nearly hit just some semi-important r'n'b chart or air play chart or something?

With the way these people are doing it right now none. No song is ever going to hit number one now, the best is top 5 I'd say unless it was a duet with Bieber, Beyonce or whoever

I feel with the right promotion there is a chance for a number one again. The right song, the right promotion. Would be so awesome if MJ could have just one more number one hit!!

respect77;3939473 said:
^ But that's an image problem. One can have a good image and still become boring for the public.

I only asked you about Bieber because you said his career is in decline and Beyoncé's is not. I'm not familiar with Bieber's tours because I don't follow him, but if he still sells out then I don't see that as a difference between him and Beyoncé, regardless of image.

PS: I'm not saying MJ should duet with Bieber - not at all! LOL. I'm just not sure why if Bieber is in decline Beyoncé is not.

Oh right :p Well if you want to focus on how well his tour and recent singles have done... well I'm not sure about all of Bieber's concerts as I don't pay attention to all of them, though I know he's had multiple problems trying to sell out in both Australia and New Zealand (which were pretty big markets for him in the past), people have tried to sell his tickets for dirt-cheap but no-one wants them [see here], heard he was booed off stage by some of his highest-paying fans too in Buenos Aires.

In regards to his recent singles, all 10 singles have pretty much performed abysmally (but then again, it's not exactly a great idea to release 10 singles in 10 weeks, you have no time to promote anything properly). While I don't see it, maybe Beyonce's popularity has decreased slightly... but if it has I just haven't noticed it, especially compared to Bieber's.

Virre;3939552 said:
I actually don't focus on anything. I listen to the radio daily, a channel that plays both new and old ones, but not way to old, but some songs from the eighties. And a lot of Michael too. And they do play Beyoncé but I change channel most of the time when they do. I don't like her voice at all. But we all can't like the same.

Fair enough! ^_^

barbee0715;3939553 said:
I'm not sure of what song I would pick, but I agree that Beyonce would be a great choice. I never paid that much attention to her music, but always thought she was beautiful.
But I happened on a video of her concert after Michael passed away and she sang "I Can't Help It" (one of my favorite songs) and it was just wonderful. I did see the internet and now the news channels all going crazy over this new album, so whatever they did together was shoot to number one.

Yeah! She also performed her song 'Halo' in Michael's honour, replacing some of the lyrics with his name... :girl_sigh:
[video=youtube;pB6KV01evl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB6KV01evl8[/video]

Electro;3939570 said:
There might not have been much promo for the Butterflies single, but it sure still benefitted from the fact that it was released from an album release that was big news to all media, and that was previously promoted with new videoclips (YRMW, Cry) etc.

Today, media is hardly involved at all whatever is getting released by Michael. MJ music is a nieche market now and hardly relevant to the everyday mainstream pop circus.

I think a new MJ album might make news on a few websites, but it won't be on the front page or anything. I don't know what the media were like in regards to Invincible, but I know it was big news as it was his first proper, non-remix, album in 6 years and his first album of completely new material in 10 years. No doubt that helped...

My Opinion:
1.Blue Gangsta
2.Do You Know Where Your Children Are
3.Escape
4.Days In Gloucestire
5.Im Still The King

in my personal opinion, the greatest unreleased song (that we have heard) is Escape.. and that judgement is clear to me now.. it's stunning

Last edited:
I'm not saying that it would get to number 1 but I would love to see the general public's reaction to Al Capone. Will they appreciate it as being a great song? Or would they say ''Oh it doesn't sound like it was made in 2014 so it sucks derp derp derp''

If there's a single with the biopic, maybe.
One thing that can happen in the biographical film is to show the production of some unreleased music that was not released in life.
(Example: Michael on the scene, recording TYLA for the BAD album, but in the end he decides not to put it on the final Tracklist)

With that, Sony/Estate has the opportunity to release the song as a Single, promoting the movie!

And if all goes well, you have a chance to be in the Top 5 very easily! (Of course I would love for it to be at the top, but if we get a 3rd place, that would be great)

One thing that can happen in the biographical film is to show the production of some unreleased music that was not released in life.
(Example: Michael on the scene, recording TYLA for the BAD album, but in the end he decides not to put it on the final Tracklist)

With that, Sony/Estate has the opportunity to release the song as a Single, promoting the movie!

And if all goes well, you have a chance to be in the Top 5 very easily! (Of course I would love for it to be at the top, but if we get a 3rd place, that would be great)
Buffalo Bill would be a huge one. They could show the interview where he calls it a hit and then we watch him sing it. And then they release it to radio.

It is too unlikely, I’d rather see them focus on a forgotten song like who is it or leave me alone etc

Back