What was Michael's opinion on Farewell My Summer Love

The MJJ Library

7even's HIStory Corner
Do you guys know what Michael thought of Farewell My Summer Love? Was there ever any statement from him about it? I know he signed some copies of it.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me if he never knew how big a hit it was in some countries in Europe, same with one day in your life.
He completely neglected these songs on tour in the 80s so he either didn’t know they were hits or he didn’t care.

He mentioned that he didn't even like those songs and Motown releasing them...but I can't remember where/ what interview he said it in

He mentioned that he didn't even like those songs and Motown releasing them...but I can't remember where/ what interview he said it in
That's right actually. He wanted to perform songs he made for himself.

@zinniabooklover Did he mention it in Moonwalk?
Don't know. I've only read it once so I'm not intimately acquainted with all the details. @staywild23 read it for the 2nd time just this year so she might be able to answer this.

None of this resonates with me, tbh. I don't remember it as that kind of book, looking at individual songs or albums. It's doing a different job to Man In The Music, for example.

Does this mean you haven't read Moonwalk? It's really, really good, you should give it a go. I only read it just last year but that's bc I don't usually read autobiographies / biographies.

Last edited:
This wouldn't surprise me. Record labels release these compilations to cash in and it's not unusual for the band / artist to be hacked off about it. Especially bc they've usually moved on by then.

Does this mean you haven't read Moonwalk? It's really, really good, you should give it a go. I only read it just last year but that's bc I don't usually read autobiographies / biographies.
I haven't gotten the chance to. It's surprisingly hard to find at a library and I just absolutely refuse to pay for books. On average. Needless to say I'll find a way.

I haven't gotten the chance to. It's surprisingly hard to find at a library
Yeah, it's not gonna be standard for a library to have it, especially now that it's not a recent book.

and I just absolutely refuse to pay for books.
Nosy question but any particular reason why? I don't buy very many books bc they are so expensive and the production values are often so crap. Most of my books I buy 2nd hand. But I don't have a policy of refusing to buy books at all. Just curious to know your reasoning but no probs if you don't want to answer.

Needless to say I'll find a way.
Mm. Could be tricky. I've never seen Moonwalk in a charity shop (= thrift shop). Depending on where you are in the world you could try to get it on inter-library loan. For example, the British Library has Moonwalk and it could very well be part of the UK inter-library loan scheme bc it's not a rare book or massively expensive. So you could put in a request at your local library. Oh, hang on, that won't work. You'd have to pay for it. ILL's don't come free. Used to be £5 per request but I'm sure it's gone up since then. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know, lol. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand copy online. Oh, but you don't wanna pay for books. I'm going round in circles, lol.

I don't have a solution! Apologies for making a big deal out of this. It's just bc it's such a good book, imo. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it. Autobiographies are not my thing and celebrity books are of no interest to me but it's really good. I was surprised at how good it is. I have a few minor quibbles with it but, mostly, it's great.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he never knew how big a hit it was in some countries in Europe, same with one day in your life.
He completely neglected these songs on tour in the 80s so he either didn’t know they were hits or he didn’t care.
It mean at the time it was a new solo album, heck I love it so much that I even bought it on CD and soon vinyl and maybe cassette.

@zinniabooklover Did he mention it in Moonwalk?
Don't know. I've only read it once so I'm not intimately acquainted with all the details. @staywild23 read it for the 2nd time just this year so she might be able to answer this.
He does not mention this in Moonwalk! He does write quite a bit about Motown, in general, though. Good and bad. I agree that it is an essential read, so I hope you find it @Mister_Jay_Tee!

I've never seen Moonwalk in a charity shop (= thrift shop).
Coincidentally, I saw Moonwalk in a thrift shop LAST NIGHT!! Isn't that funny? I was so excited, I took a photo of it lol. I wanted to buy it, because that is my immediate impulse with anything remotely related to Michael. But seeing as I already own it, I wanted to leave it for others to buy. But still! I was so happy to see it there.

I was surprised at how good it is. I have a few minor quibbles with it but, mostly, it's great.
I feel exactly the same. I love this book. I will probably read it once a year. It's a special experience to be inside of Michael's head. I do have some issues with it thought. Well "issues" is putting it too strongly. There is nothing I actively dislike about it at all, just a few things I wish were different. More than anything, I just wish he was able to release a second memoir later in life. Sigh.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread further!

I would be very interested in Michael's thoughts in these follow up releases. If he said he wasn't happy about it, I'd love to read that.

Coincidentally, I saw Moonwalk in a thrift shop LAST NIGHT!! Isn't that funny?
Cooler than cool.

Last week I bought the 2003 edition of Taraborelli's book. I'd read it in 2009 when Michael died (it was on a heavy discount, I assume he was rushing out a new edition). Later on I got rid of it. Saw it on the discount trolley in a charity shop and bought it. Not entirely sure why but, there you go, lol.

I feel exactly the same. I love this book. I will probably read it once a year. It's a special experience to be inside of Michael's head. I do have some issues with it thought. Well "issues" is putting it too strongly. There is nothing I actively dislike about it at all, just a few things I wish were different.
Agreed but we already did this over on the book review thread so I'll contain myself and not derail the thread further!

How sure are you that he said that, what type of interview was it

It's not a strong principle lol. I just like libraries is all. Free Books for all.
Yeah, it's not gonna be standard for a library to have it, especially now that it's not a recent book.

Nosy question but any particular reason why? I don't buy very many books bc they are so expensive and the production values are often so crap. Most of my books I buy 2nd hand. But I don't have a policy of refusing to buy books at all. Just curious to know your reasoning but no probs if you don't want to answer.

Mm. Could be tricky. I've never seen Moonwalk in a charity shop (= thrift shop). Depending on where you are in the world you could try to get it on inter-library loan. For example, the British Library has Moonwalk and it could very well be part of the UK inter-library loan scheme bc it's not a rare book or massively expensive. So you could put in a request at your local library. Oh, hang on, that won't work. You'd have to pay for it. ILL's don't come free. Used to be £5 per request but I'm sure it's gone up since then. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know, lol. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand copy online. Oh, but you don't wanna pay for books. I'm going round in circles, lol.

I don't have a solution! Apologies for making a big deal out of this. It's just bc it's such a good book, imo. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it. Autobiographies are not my thing and celebrity books are of no interest to me but it's really good. I was surprised at how good it is. I have a few minor quibbles with it but, mostly, it's great.

I am 100 % sure he said it, it was probably a newspaper article, I remember being surprised because I thought they were good songs....
But then… it should rightfully read: you’re sure you’ve read it. Not that Michael said it. Because the former does not equate the latter.

Maybe Michael did not like FMSL but he sure did love ODIYL and there is video proof of it.
Just because a singer/band performs a song does not necessarily mean they like it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but many artists have said they didn't like certain songs that have become hit singles, but they have to perform them in concert because of fans wanting to hear the songs.

It's not a strong principle lol. I just like libraries is all. Free Books for all.
I always forget this is a thing in the US because over here, adults have to pay for subscription, unless their earnings are under a certain threshold. The US also has much more libraries per area; if I want to go, I'd have to go all the way to the center of town. There's no other way.

I prefer to own my books partially for that reason, preferably digitally, since 1) it doesn't take up physical space, 2) it's better for the environment, and 3) (this counts for owning books in general) I sometimes like to re-read books. The physical books I do own are hand-me-downs.

...Anyway! To get back on topic, I know Michael wasn't a fan of remixes, plus he was not involved with its release, so I doubt he cared much for this compilation. (I do personally enjoy it.)

Just because a singer/band performs a song does not necessarily mean they like it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but many artists have said they didn't like certain songs that have become hit singles, but they have to perform them in concert because of fans wanting to hear the songs.
On top of that, I personally believe that just because Michael didn't perform certain songs live, that does not necessarily mean he didn't like them. To be honest, I'm fairly certain he liked most (if not all) songs he recorded during his adult years, unless he said anything to the contrary (in which case, I stand corrected).

On top of that, I personally believe that just because Michael didn't perform certain songs live, that does not necessarily mean he didn't like them. To be honest, I'm fairly certain he liked most (if not all) songs he recorded during his adult years, unless he said anything to the contrary (in which case, I stand corrected).
That also depends on what kind of artist and/or the type of audience that goes to see them. Michael Jackson was pretty much going to only perform whatever his most popular hits are, but another artist might perform album tracks that weren't singles, do covers of other artists songs during a concert. Some artists will change the arrangements of songs for a concert or make them much longer or put songs in a medley if they don't want to perform the entire songs. Some will even perform songs they have not recorded or released yet. I know Stevie Wonder has performed songs over the years that he has never released or put them out over a decade later from whenever the concert was.

Back