Where were you/what were you doing when you heard the news? [ Merged ]

offthewall79

Proud Member
This is a thread for all fans to remember what they were doing and where they were when they first heard the news about Michael's cardiac arrest, and then later about his tragic death.

I was sitting on the couch in my living room watching an episode on Jonas on my DVR. My mom came downstairs and said that my brother had seen on a forum he goes to that Michael had been admitted to the hospital because of cardiac arrest. My mom warned me that he might already be dead, which turned out to be true. (The news broke about 5:30 EST, and he had been pronounced dead a few minutes earlier)

I instantly turned my show off and turned the channel to CNN, where I left it for over an hour. I was freaking out and as I saw all the people surrounding the hospital, I was like, "Oh no, this can't be good, this isn't good". My family was reassuring me and telling me that he might not be dead. I was trying not to cry in front of my parents, and I succeeded. But damn was I close.

But then, about 5 minutes after my parents left to take me mom to work, Wolf Blitzer spoke the words I didn't want to hear. The LA Times had broken the news that Michael was officially dead. It was right then that I just lost it. My older brother took me in his arms and I just started bawling. I felt like I couldn't stop crying, and even a couple hours later, I still felt extreme shock. My brothers and my dad eventually told me to go upstairs and find happy things to do and watch happy things. I believe I played on Addicting Games for awhile, but eventually I went to YouTube and started watching old videos of Michael. I came back downstairs and my dad consoled me, and later on my mom called me from work.

I'm only 14, so this is the first time in my life that I've truly lost somebody that I love and care about a lot; someone with this much notoriety. Never again will we lose someone and have it effect us this much.

So that's my story from June 25th. Share yours so we can all remember where we were and what we were doing on that tragic day.

Re: Where were you/what were you doing when you heard the news?

^^ I was asleep when it happened, but I woke up so sad, I hate the day because Farrah (another one of my faves also died) and that day has left me depressed since. :cry: :cry: :cry:

But I overheard my parents said that he died, my heart instantly sink. :cry:

I had to go drop off my mom & brother at the train station so they can go to Orlando - I was getting ready to go & following the news that MJ went to the hospital on TMZ.

Then I refresh the TMZ page and there it was - the announcement that MJ actually died - no one else was reporting it - only them for at least an hour.

I suddenly felt like I wanted to faint, like a surreal time warp happened to me - because I didn't want to believe it -

The first thing out of my mouth was "They Killed Him" - and I couldn't get that phrase out of my head.

I got some Oak Creek $3.00 wine from CVS (cheap but good) and got drunk & cried for what seemed an eternity.

I don't cry as much as I used to - at one of his songs playing, or seeing a picture of his - but I still do.

I'll forever mourn him. Michael Jackson IS my childhood.

And guess what? THEY DID KILL HIM.

I had to go drop off my mom & brother at the train station so they can go to Orlando - I was getting ready to go & following the news that MJ went to the hospital on TMZ.

Then I refresh the TMZ page and there it was - the announcement that MJ actually died - no one else was reporting it - only them for at least an hour.

I suddenly felt like I wanted to faint, like a surreal time warp happened to me - because I didn't want to believe it -

The first thing out of my mouth was "They Killed Him" - and I couldn't get that phrase out of my head.

I got some Oak Creek $3.00 wine from CVS (cheap but good) and got drunk & cried for what seemed an eternity.

I don't cry as much as I used to - at one of his songs playing, or seeing a picture of his - but I still do.

I'll forever mourn him. Michael Jackson IS my childhood.

And guess what? THEY DID KILL HIM.

:better::better: totally agree.

from 6pm june 25 to 2 ish on june 26.... i sat on the couch..... watching everything unfold. i couldn't believe it. just sad, silent, and in denial.
the next day is when it finally hit me... and when the realization and the tears began i could not stop crying.

there is already a thread like this..I dont want to ruin your though I am just stating..

I was speaking to a few people online and somebody said "Michael Jackson's had a heart attack, it's on the news" so I flicked over and there it was at the bottom of the screen scrolling across. *deep sigh*

I was speaking to a few people online and somebody said "Michael Jackson's had a heart attack, it's on the news" so I flicked over and there it was at the bottom of the screen scrolling across. *deep sigh*

Yeah, I remember the "heart attack" story - I just refused to believe it, my entire soul reverberated "THEY KILLED HIM"

I gotta say, that MJs death reminded me so much of Princess Diana's.

I remember where/when I was when I heard about Princess Di.

I was in Puerto Rico - and I walked into a small sandwich shop about 6:30 am.

My ex-husband & I were going to have breakfast with my ex-brother-in-law, and then I see the cover of all the newspapers at the sandwich shop with Princess Di DEAD.

It was shocking & sad and I cried as I read the articles - but Michael's death was 10,000,000 times more painful.

I was getting some supper ready, it was 9.45pm ish, and my friend phoned and said did I know MJ had been taken to hospital, she said a website TMZ had reported it, I said they were about as reliable as a dose of diahorria and were always making stories up, she told me to put SKY on because it looked real.

I immediately believed it and felt in my bones this was not going to be a good ending, either brain damage or death, I felt sick, was shaking and just praying to god not to take him. I texted my friend who was coming to the concert with me and she was as shocked as me.

I came on here and we were all not wanting to believe it but there was a sence that this was real and serious. I cried on and off, more on than off for 3 days, I couldn't talk about him, or bare to hear his music, when they showed the picture of him being taken from the helicopter, where they were not exactly gentle with him and you could almost see him under the sheet I cried, I turned the TV off.

Didn't sleep, and just kept hoping it was a stunt, it wasn't real, I was dreaming etc.

I will never forget feeling such dispair. I assumed it was a heart attack at that point.

There's already a thread...

I admired and loved Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Pope John Paul II, and Ronald Reagan. I had never met them but their lives in one way or another gave me inspiration. Their passing caused sadness and grief.
But the passing of MJ has been devastating. I think we learn to live with grief but some things you never get over. This, this, I will never get over. 3 months on and I still find myself crying, feeling lonely, feeling angry, feeling sad....

I was at an airport in Minneapolis to come back to Texas, I was already upset because my bf was leaving to go on tour, then when we were boarding the plane the person next to me told me Michael had died. I couldn't believe it! As soon as I could I got on my phone to look it up. I was devistated, but I was at the family lake house that whole week, so it was so peaceful being there. The little local spot has a Michael tribute that weekend.

I was sat on my sofa, having just watched some comedy programme on TV - this was about 10.15 UK time. I turned on BBC News 24 and the first story came on saying that Michael had been rushed to hospital and needed CPR....then rumours started filtering through about 10 or 15 minutes later that he had died...then it changed to him being in a deep coma - that lifted my heart...but then almost immediately afterwards all the news agencies were more or less confirming the news I NEVER thought I would hear....
Then I cried...went upstairs to my PC and watched streaming news and started trawling through the forums....
The worst night of my entire life.

Anybody knows where the other thread on this is? I can't find it :(

I was about to go to sleep it was midnight in Romania and before I went to bed I wanted to read something on MJJC and I saw the thread about MJ being taken to the hospital, the one with the ambulance at his house...I thought "oh another stupid rumor but I'll read it anyway"

and after I opened that thread that was it :cry: the beginning of the end...I thought I was going to lose my mind or have a heart attack, it was too much to bare

I remember it so clearly.
I was sitting on my couch watching the CW and a red banner came flashing at the bottom of the screen as "breaking news." And it said Michael Jackson was rushed to the hospital due to cardiac arrest. My heart sank and I really couldn't believe it.

Thinking about it makes all of the feelings come right back from that day. :(

in the house dancing to off the wall =) will trying to n e way =D i broke my feet = O and my all my friends start blowing my phone up tellin me =(

I admired and loved Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Pope John Paul II, and Ronald Reagan. I had never met them but their lives in one way or another gave me inspiration. Their passing caused sadness and grief.
But the passing of MJ has been devastating. I think we learn to live with grief but some things you never get over. This, this, I will never get over. 3 months on and I still find myself crying, feeling lonely, feeling angry, feeling sad....

Same I wanted to meet Princess Diana so badly growing up & same for Mother Teresa. I have met someone who did work with Mother Teresa but its not the same. Pope John Paul II although i'm not Catholic I admired him. Such a amazing man with a gentle soul.
Ronald Reagan not sure about cause I don't know much about him but im sure he was wonderful

I remember when Princess Di died was in the car heading home from my nanas & it came over the radio. Mum slammed on the brakes & tears flowed. Mother Teresa I was in the car again. Pope John Paul either tv or radio can't remember.

Michael Jackson: I was in New Zealand. I heard he had a heart attack over the radio here in Australia then flew to NZ & was told he had died.

I was at my high school graduation hall oblivious to the chaos that was erupting in the world.

I was looking forward so much to Michael's tour for the Summer and I was so happy about my graduation. The future look so rosy and everything that the news hit me like a ton of bricks.

My classmate's siter went up to us and said that Michael passed away. She didn't know how huge of a fan I am. She didn't know that I almost couldn't sit through the whole ceremony because of her. I was in some SERIOUS DENIAL! I thought it was some sort of a sick sick joke....

I swear, everything was a blur. I went home, check the site and my worst fears were confirmed. I cried like hell.. I was hitting my bed and everything. That night was just a nightmare to me. I spent the whole night reading the forums trying to catch up as much info as I can possibly can. When my parents found out, they all watched CNN but I stayed in my room. No one can understand how I was feeling at the moment. I was just in a zoned-out state of mind.

I will never ever forget what I was doing when I heard. I was in my room on my computer happily playing my Sims 3 game. When I decided to put one of the main channels on. To watch the 6:30 pm news to see what they had to say about Farrah Fawcett. Since I knew she had died that day. But the second I turn it on and I saw them showing Michael's Jam performance from Bucharest Dangerous Concert. And I saw the years 1958 to 2009 on my tv screen. I just let out a scream of no not my beloved Michael. I just couldn't believe it at first. My beloved Michael just couldn't be gone. Then I thought it just has to be some kind of a cruel sick joke. So I then immediantly came to this site and saw it was really true. Cause I know no MJ fan will ever lie about something like that. I was still in shock and disbelieve. But I did start to cry. I had spent that entire night in my room on my bed really crying over him. I practically just cried myself to sleep that night.

I had just finished dinner, and was driving to a meeting. I turned on the radio, and they were playing Heal the World. After it was finished, I switched to another station, and they were playing Black or White. That was a nice coincidence, I thought, and I got to the meeting before the song was over. Then when I got in the car to come home, Butterflies was playing. I figured people were getting excited about the concerts coming up. After the song, they mentioned him being in cardiac arrest. I got home, ran inside, turned on CNN, and there it was at the bottom of the screen.

I always knew this day would come, and I dreaded it. Of course, I imagined it would be decades in the future. But I wasn't prepared for when it actually happened. I didn't want to watch any news about it, so I decided to put a cartoon DVD in and work on a puzzle that evening to distract me. After midnight, I couldn't sleep, so I came here to be near other fans. Some time around 2 or 3 am, it hit me, and I finally cried. This forum helped me through and I'll be forever grateful that I could talk with other people who understood how I felt. I couldn't watch TV, read online news, or listen to his music or videos for over a week after, I just hung onto this forum. I remember a forum member describing 6/25 as their personal 9/11, and that's exactly how it felt to me.

I was doing the dishes. Suddenly someone called me and told me that the radio was saying that Michael died. I couldn't believe it. I turned on the television, went on MJJC and called my friends and told them. Af first I thought it was a rumour. But it was true. Michael had died. I cried for a few seconds when they played Man in the Mirror on the radio...oh the memories.

I was on vacation with my boyfriend.

We were in the hotel room, and I had the TV switched on to the spanish channel.
I was drying my hair with a towel and suddenly I heard "Thriller" coming from the TV, so I said "oh look!" and the two of us started dancing around being silly. It took me a minute before I noticed the screen said "descansa en paz (rest in peace). 1958-2009)".

I just stood there staring at the screen. I didn't even know what to say.
When I snapped out of it I said "go check online - see if this is what I think it is", and we read that MJ had passed away.

I felt awful. Really.
We had been getting ready to go out to a restaurant, and when we got there Michael's music was being played the whole night. Everyone was singing along to parts and I could overhear other tables telling MJ stories. It was a nice feeling then actually, because I felt connected with all of these people that I had nothing in common with really.

At this point I hadn't cried yet. I didn't think I would cry, to be honest.

When it hit me was when we were driving later that night, the moon was really pretty and the beach just looked perfect and "Got To Be There" came on the radio. I was surprised at how hard it hit me, truly it felt like someone had punched me in the chest, and I cried.
Even my boyfriend teared up a little, and he's never been a huge fan.

At this point does it really matter. All I know it was to date the worst day of my life.

When i heard the news i was asleep it was about 11 pm at night.

i could hear my phone vibrating on my bed side table. and i had a txt saying michael jackson has had a heart attack :(

i was then really awake and said to my sister OMG michael jackson has had a heart attack.:(
and then i said oh :( i supose i wont see him live then, well i hope he gets better bless his heart.
at that SECOND i got a call from my best mate/MJ fan.
she was crying and said michael jackson has died.
i said i have to go. and i told my sister and she was in MASSIVE shock.
we went down stairs and put on BBC news 24 and watched for about an hour i went upstairs to bed but my sister was FASINATED with his death.

i sat in the middle of my bed not really taking in what had happened.

i knew he was dead but could not believe it.

i stared at my walls which are cover with michael jackson posters, flags, jackson 5 flags, frames massive 5 foot posters.
i looked at my michael jackson records, cds, dolls, magazines.

my pillow and duvet.

then i started to cry.
i then woke up the next morning with my pillow socked with tears and mascara all over it.
:(

thats what happened the day i found out!

I was watching Fox with my parents, waiting for my dad to get off the computer, and they reported that Michael Jackson was in Cardiac Arrest, I kept telling myself, he is Michael motherf*cking Jackson he will pull through...and then there it was the first people to break the news, and I was watching it at that moment, the guy reporting it looked in completely shock and when he said it I just said What? It hit me like a ton of bricks, I was in denial, I tried to seriously ignore, act like it never happend and let my emotions bulit up until I finally broke down.

The first thing I did was watch the Thriller video because thats really what started it all for me, it was so surreal.

I was just on the computer, talking to some friends on Facebook about going to Ihop later.

It was just a few hours after the "moving up" ceremony for my middle school. It was going to be a happy day.

One of my old friends from Iowa IMed me, and he linked me to TMZ.

"Michael Jackson's in cardiac arrest."
"Ha ha?"
"..."

My heart nearly stopped. I clicked the link, told my parents, and started obsessively refreshing.

That's when it hit me... "Update: Michael Jackson has died at 50."

I slouched in my chair. I was utterly shocked, confused, and upset. I tried to cheer myself up later when I did end up going to Ihop, but nothing could help. My mom picked me up, turned on the radio, and they were playing "I Want You Back".

The next day I was listening to him nonstop. At the end of the night, I listened to "Someone in the Dark" and was brought to the brink of tears... I still haven't accepted it yet. He still seems so present.

Well for me it was strange because i ALWAYS have my cell with me always i never leave t. But that day I was with one guy I dated those days who took me out to dinner that day. I was at his house before dinner then we went out, i forgot my cellphone, we were out for a perfect romantic evening. When I get back to his place i check my phone i had like 50 msgs and lots of missed calls from my friends, especially two friends one from this forum and my best friend here who kept sending messages like "ARE YOU OK ROI? ARE YOU OK?" I didn't understand. My fucking ex also wrote a msg to me "HEY DID YOU HEAR ABOUT MICHAEL?" and another friend of mine msgd me "ROI! MICHAEL DIED!" I didn't believe it i thought it was tabloid crap. Then i checked on MJJC and there were already like 20pages on the ambulance/death thread I couldn't believe it. The guy I was dating was changing clothes and i told him if i could stay and watch TV and if he had a bottle of something to drink. Then I spent the night watching CNN and drinking Porto. (Sweet Wine). Then the next day after sleeping two hours i got back home and i put on Earth Song on my 7 speakers in an extreme volume and started to sing/scream it. One week after only I realized that little man i had loved and still love so much had died. My mom also called that night she said she wasn't a fan or anything but as i liked it so much she said "it's like it was all around the house, like if he was family". My mother rules!.

That's how i lived it.

It's an odd story:

first of all, i have a michael jackson pendant on a choker chain around my neck.....i have a few different pendants but i was wearing my favorite one...one i wore for two years straight......that morning i'm babysitting a family from my church, there are 8 kids and one of them said "oh my gosh jenny! your picture fell out of the frame!!!" i thought she was kidding but i looked and the picture was ripped off the frame! i was so upset and she jokingly followed me around all morning saying "YOU KILLED MICHAEL JACKSON!!" and i said "that's not funny! dont speak of him dying! that's too upsetting!" i said it so teasingly but i had no clue...... later that day i went to walmart with a friend....

walmart had a tinkerbell perfume that smelled so good. only walmart sold it..... it was called FOREVER NEVERLAND!!..how perfect.....michael represents neverland and it's FOREVER!! michael was always supposed to be forever.........he IS forever.....anyway, i'm a very obnoxious person so when i saw that walmart discontinued the perfume i got really loud and joking yelled at my friend "WHAT THE HECK! IT'S FOREVER!! HOW DOES SOMETHING THAT IS NAMED 'FOREVER' GET DISCONNTINUED!!! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!! YOU CAN'T KILL NEVERLAND!!!!" ... and in the middle of my rage my friend texted me and told me that michael was in the hospital........ i make lots of jokes when i'm nervous so i was laughing a lot..i went ot my friend's house for dinnner and turned on the news....her family doesn't lke michael but they know how important he is to me..so we all listened to the news.....but they said it......after a lot of worry they said it "michael jackson was just confirmed dead"....i don't cry, this family has never seen me cry...but the whole house got really quiet while we ate and i just cried my eyes out and they sat there silently letting me cry......... sometimes i still feel like crying..... i can't explain myself...but most times even when i want to cry i just can't...... i wish i could...it would feel good to let it out again.

Was out with a mate all day, went Wimbledon Tennis, although que was too long so we just come back into town and started drinking, I was talking to him about This Is It for about 2 hour solid, telling him everything, how dont believe the papers bout rehearsals etc, its gonna be the best show ever, came home, and that was it, saw the news, tex's flooding in, absolutely awful day :>( - one I want to forget forever.

Back