Where were you/what were you doing when you heard the news? [ Merged ]

Re: Where were you/what were you doing when you heard the news?

I was taking a shower, and as I was drying off I heard my father in the next room talking on the phone with a friend while the television was on. He said something along the lines of, "Wow, first Farrah died, now Michael?" I froze, and thought to myself.. "Oh God, please don't let that be the same Michael I'm thinking of." As soon as I finished I rushed out of the bathroom, to where my father was, and he said "Did you hear?" I turned to look at the TV, and that's when I read the headline.. "LA TIMES: Michael Jackson has died." I have never been so stunned in my entire life. So many emotions where running through my mind. I was shocked. I was sad, and I was confused.

I rushed to my room, and my friend called me. I asked her if she knew, and she sounded very sarcastic with her reaction. Nevertheless, she didn't sound upset at all. She even made a joke about it. I was so pissed so I ended the phone call. I was still in denial though, so I went on the internet to find out if it had been confirmed, because some people were saying that he was in a coma, and I was just praying that he still had a chance. Then, shortly after it was confirmed, somebody said online that their local radio station was playing a bunch of MJ's music, so I turned on the radio to see if that was happening in my hometown. When I did, "ABC" was playing, and although I know that "ABC" is anything but a sad song, upon hearing it reality finally stared to sink in a little and I started to cry.

I was upstairs in my room. My boyfriend was visiting from NY. I go downstairs into the dining room. He was on the phone talking to his parents. He tells me "Michael Jackson died" My first response was "Who?" not because I didn't know who he was, but because my brain didn't comprehend what he said. The next words out of my mouth were "Oh, My God." I turned around, went back up to my room, sat on my bed and felt nothing for the rest of the night.

Me, my twin sister and my dad were at my dad's Michigan lake house and I was on his laptop just fooling around on it while my dad was watching the news and then Michael's news came up. He told me it and I rushed over to the TV and found out it was true! My heart dropped like a stone right there and was shocked for the rest of the day.

I was out for dinner and I was suppose to go to a beach party after that (it was around 12am in Cyprus). And I get a call from a friend of mine. She was acting all weird, asked if I was OK and stuff and I said "Yea, what's wrong"?

And then she told me that a friend of hers from the UK called and told her that MJ was in hospital and that he had a heart attack. I was like "Great, another one of those rumours". But something inside was saying "Go check the news before you go to the party".

The first thing I did was to get my laptop and get on MJJCommunity. And there was this threat that MJ was taken from his house with an ambulance to the hospital. Then I turn CNN on. And then the nightmare begun.

As the story unfolded I was a complete wreck. I got 50 text messages. I didn't reply to anyone. I called my MJ friends in London and we cried together over the phone. I remember the headache was so strong, I wanted to vomit. I went to bed at 10am and woke up 2 hours later wishing it was all a bad dream.

Me, my sister and a friend of ours had tickets for the opening date on the 13th of July. I was so close to fulfil my dream but then again that was the least of my worries. The man who I looked up to and admired since the day I was born was gone.

A part of me went with him.

I actually wrote this on the day he passed. I didn't know what else to do. I had to get my feelings out there. It was kinda like how I was feeling at the moment. I didn't think, I couldn't think, I just put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard to be exact) and it all came out. This was one of the most heartfelt things I have ever written. I was jumping around a lot in emotions, as you can probably see in the following. I when from shock to denial, to sadness, to anger, to resentment, to sadness, to acceptance, back to denial all in one day.

June 26 2009

I’m in bed, asleep. Sister walks in.

“Steph, Michael Jackson died”
“Yeah, right”
“No I’m serious, I think he got shot or something”
“Don’t be playing games with me. I’m going back to sleep”.
“Okay, fine”

She’s on the computer. She reads out loud “Michael Jackson, 50, dies of a cardiac arrest in his Carolwood home.”

I’m thinking ok, she’s can’t possibly be making this stuff up at the top of her head. She doesn’t even know Michael lives in Carolwood. So I get up, walk over to the computer and there it is “Michael Jackson dead at 50”. I’m like OMG!

I go to MJJC, because I know how the media just love to make this up. I’ll go to MJJC, they’ll tell me what’s really going on. They’ll tell me the media are being their idiotic selves and that Michael is fine and well. I’ll go to MJJC and they’ll tell me Michael is not dead. Open up MJJC, and I see the thread “Michael Jackson passed away”. Hell no! Next thing I know, I’m in tears. Tears every where. Turn on the TV, and I see it again. “Michael Jackson dead at 50”. I see Rev. Al Sharpton talking about Michael. I see Jermaine, standing at a podium trying to speak through his shock, barely able to say the words “My brother, the legendary king of pop, passed away on June 25, 2009... It is believed he suffered cardiac arrest in his home”. Shaking. Trembling. Crying. Shaking. I’m trying to type, I’m trying to talk to my friends, trying to get the words out. All I can write in this moment “I just woke up. NOOOOOO!”

Then I start wondering. I start asking questions. Damn, my friends. Paul, Nancy, Josh... this will kill them. OMG Katherine! How the hell is she going to live through this?! Then I thought “Holy mother of G-d! The kids! I forgot about the kids! They’ve lost their daddy, their hero, their whole world.”

I go to town, I have to hand in my application form, I don’t want to. Get in the car, they are playing Michael on the radio. Get into the building, and the receptionist asks me if I heard the news about Michael. “Yes, I’ve heard.” I say. “What a tragic loss” she says. Trying not to cry in front of EVERYONE “I know, I’m a big fan.” All I’m thinking is I have to get out of here. Everyone is talking about it. I hand over my form, and I leave. Get back in the car. They are still playing Michael. I can’t escape this reality. I can’t go anywhere or do anything without being reminded of his death. Rush back home, rush to the computer, and it still hasn’t gone away. Still Michael Jackson everywhere. On twitter, on facebook. All over the internet. All over the TV. All over the radio. Michael Jackson, all over. No escape. If I don’t see it, I’ll hear it. If I don’t hear it, I’ll read it. There’s no escaping the reality, Michael Jackson has died. I’m in a nightmare and I know it. Wake me up. I must be in a dream. I’ll open my eyes and everything will be back to the way it was. Yes, Michael Jackson’s alive. He’s alive. I’m dreaming this. I’m sitting here, hoping that it’s all bullish. I know it my heart that it’s not, but PLEASE someone say it’s all a hoax. Michael can’t be gone. He just can’t be. Back on MJJC. Maybe now I’ve woken up. Maybe I’ll read it there, maybe I’ll see what I’m longing to see “Michael Jackson is alive”. Nope. Not there. I still see “Michael Jackson has passed away”. Why aren’t I waking up?!

Trying to understand. Trying to make sense of it all. Trying to get answers, asking why. Go on to facebook, and I see Leanne’s status update “why are people upset? He was a paedophile who paid kids off! Good riddens.” Aww hell no! Didn’t pay attention. Didn’t care what she thought. Tried to ignore it. Turn on the news. Presenter reads a letter from a viewer. “Let’s not forget what this man did to innocent children. Don’t celebrate him. He is a criminal” And, of course, the presenter goes “We understand that. We know Michael Jackson did questionable things to children. But he left an amazing legacy and wonderful music.” WTF? You would think this man was a registered sex offender! “We know Michael Jackson did questionable things”? When has those “things” EVER been proven? Does the words “Not Guilty”, “Acquittal” mean anything to anyone? Outraged, I turn the TV off. Anger and resentment replacing sadness. How dare they try to insinuate this crap on the day of his death. Not today. NOT TODAY!

Sit at the computer desk, wondering why. Why Michael? Why him. Why now? Just when he was starting to get his life back on track, he’s taken away. 15 years of unimaginable ridicule and slander. He deserved this comeback. He deserved this victory. He deserved it more than anyone. Our Michael... gone. The smile, the funny outfits, the moving letters, the adorable, loving, humble human being, the icon, the daddy, the brother, the son. GONE. God must’ve made a mistake. How could this be? This is BS. Michael Jackson. MICHAEL JACKSON?! WTF? No way could it be true. All that pain, all that injustice, all that hatred thrown at this man for years, and just when he starts to get his life in order, he dies? God can’t be that cruel!

This is so surreal. A world without Michael Jackson. All my life he was always there. Never left me. The inspiration, the motivation, the fact that this singer that I never met helped me get through some of the worst pain in my life, because I knew that regardless of what I go through, Michael went through worse. If he was super-human and he could get through it, he was invincible; maybe I can be invincible and get through my insignificant problems as well. And now he’s not here. He was mortal after all. I feel like I’ve just swallowed shattered glass. I feel like a part of me has died with him, I feel stupid for feeling that way about someone I don’t know, but damn, that’s how I feel. They won. They got what they wanted. They tortured this man to death, literally. They won. Any hope I had for humanity has gone straight out the window. The heartache that people put Michael through killed him, and those people don’t even care. They don’t care that they hurt him. They just don’t care. If that were me, and I directly or indirectly participated in that manhunt, I would not be able to sleep at night, especially now! How these reporters who attacked him all his life can sit there and still talk bad about him after his death is beyond me. Do they not feel any guilt AT ALL? I know they have hearts, even though their hearts are damn hard and cold, they still have one. The good must be in there somewhere. Wait, who am I kidding? These reporters ain’t people. They’re robots being fuelled by ratings. They are there to tell the public what they want them to hear, regardless of whether it’s true or not. The more slanderous the better! And if this slander for 15+ results in an innocent man’s death, who cares right? I can’t bare to even look at Diane Dimond’s face right now. I don’t wanna see Nancy Grace. I don’t wanna see them.

Gotta get to bed. It’s 4 in the damn morning. I can’t get it out of my head. The injustice, the ridicule, and the fact they were able to get away with it! Now Michael’s dead. He deserved the comeback. He deserved to see his children grow. He, more than anyone, deserved happiness. Maybe this was God’s doing. Maybe he told Michael “You’ve suffered enough, my son. You did your job and you did it well. Now it’s time for you to go.” I hope he’s at peace. I hope he’s smiling. I hope he knows how much we fans loved him and appreciated him, even though the rest of the world didn’t. I loved him so much. His sincerity, his innocence, his smile, his laughter, everything about him. He was more than just Michael Jackson the superstar. To me, he was “Michael”. A man who believed he had a purpose in this world. Even though you didn’t heal the world like you wanted to, Michael, you healed me. You healed so many. You’re strength inspired me SO MUCH. I hope you know how thankful I am. If only you could see how much we loved you. If you could see how many in the world are mourning you today, you would know just how loved you were. Michael, I’m sorry for what they did to you. I’m so sorry.

I’m going to force myself to bed. I can’t take it. It’s all too much. Today is one of the worst day's of my life. I lost my "father". The man who practically raised me. I can't believe it. Why did this day have to come? Why him? I don't understand. Crazy. Surreal. Unbelievable.

I had just woken up, it was around 9am my time. I was walking downstairs to the kitchen to have my breakfast when I pass the living room where the TV was on. And the first thing I see is : BREAKING NEWS: MICHAEL JACKSON DIES in big, bold letters being reported from BBC News. I remained frozen in shock the entire day. It only started sinking in, in the following days when I was able to mourn and grieve.

Where were you when you found out Michael passed?

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if there's already a thread like this...

Where were you/what were you doing the moment you found out Michael passed away?

I was driving in the car to a job interview actually... I was listening to either our top 40 station here or the Satellite radio (I can't remember...) and the DJ stated that Michael Jackson had been admitted into the hospital... I immediately was like "oh no!" but I *never* thought he would die. Then after that news, they began playing another song (I think it was a Sean Kingston song) and they STOPPED the song in the middle of it. Just dead stop. I knew it was bad. And the DJ came on and said something along the lines of "I can't believe this... but Michael Jackson was pronounced dead at ..." My heart just stopped. At this point, I hadn't really paid attention or listened to Michael in a while. I've been a fan since I was a little girl, and became a big fan in 2001, but he just wasn't something that had totally been on my mind for a while. But his death really affected me... I had a horrible pit in my stomach, like WHAT? It was just unbelievable. I don't know... something about MJ -- you almost expect someone like to live "forever." I was just devastated, and so distracted on my job interview... but then the whole way home (it was almost an hour drive to where I went) EVERY. single. station was playing Michael. So I just sang along the whole way home to all the songs, and even heard some new ones at that point that I had never heard before... such a heartwrenching day.

I also pretty much strictly listened to MJ on shuffle on my iPod in my car for probably 2 months straight. Every day, I thought about him at least once. Like I said, was always a big fan... but I didn't know I'd ever be affected that much by a celeb's death. I still think about him all the time, hence how I found this forum.. but wow! I miss him!

Re: Where were you when you found out Michael passed?

I understand you perfectly well. I discovered Michael in 1987 with his BAD album and PEPSI commercials. He made me dream so intensively with all his videos, dance moves, music and every little sound in his music, that I promised to myself that I was never going to give up on him, no matter my age or environment. He was and is my therapy, a guide to a magical world.

Today I work as a translator. When he died I was supposed to translate 30 pages in one week. I just couldn't, because tears just couldn't stop running, and my heart is still aching.

Kiss n love

I had left work early for a doctor's appointment. I was waiting for the bus when I got a breaking news text message from CNN saying Michael had suffered cardiac arrest (I actually saved this text for some crazy reason...can't let go). I really didn't think much of it. I just felt like he would recover from this like he has everything else in his life. But then I got a text from my sister saying, "Michael Jackson died!" I don't even think I felt anything yet. I think I was numb. I was already sad from learning about Farrah's passing just a few hours earlier, trying to come to terms with that. Then here comes the news that another icon has died. Really, as the hours and days went on, it began to really sink in. They say when you die your life passes before your eyes. Well, Michael's life passed before my eyes. I was 45 years old at the time so I remember it all...the Jackson 5, Off The Wall, Thriller and everything in between and beyond. The true loss didn't really hit me until much later. What a horrible loss for all involved...his children, his family, his friends and the fans.

I had just returned home from hanging out with some MJ fans. A friend of mine is an impersonator and we went to see his performance. Me and a friend were at my place and I was showing her MJJcommunity, as she wanted to know where I usually got my MJ news from. I opened up the forum and in the MJ News section I saw "Ambulance just pulled up to Michael's......." . I clicked on it, read that it was most likely cardiac arrest, called my friend to ask what cardiac arrest means and when she asked what was going on I just yelled "CHECK CNN!" and hung up. Then I panicked and I was just screaming things like "OH NO!!" and "WHAT THE FUCK? DON'T YOU DARE MICHAEL, NO NO NO!" . From that moment I kept clicking on threads, checked TMZ, CNN, all the news sites I could think of and turned my tv on. CNN was on and they were talking about Michael and a news ticker stated that the LA Times had reported Michael was pronounced dead but that CNN had not confirmed. I then came back to MJJCommunity and someone was posting that Michael was dead and I 'yelled' at them that they were an idiot because CNN had not confirmed (whoever you are, I'm sorry!).

I don't really remember nor want to recall the rest of the night. I didn't sleep at all and went to work eventually, where my colleagues immediately came up to me and I broke down crying, and was sent home. When I got home I changed into an MJ shirt, and took the train to Amsterdam where I met up with fellow fans.

Blah.

I woke up on 26th of June, and turned the radio on, and at that moment they played Billie Jean and when it finished the moderators said that Michael was in heaven now and dancing on the clouds and ... I was like WTF... and in a few seconds they repeatedly announced that Michael had died.

I was panic-stricken, in the total shock, immediately I opened my laptop and... every website was full of Michael...

I watched TMZ refreshing over and over when I heard he had been taken to hospital. At that time they just said "We're told it's serious..." :cry:

I was at WORK.. My Co-worker got a text from her husband... She looked at me and said "Michael Jackson Died" I can still hear her!

I immediately had to go on break.. I couldn't handle it I was very sick to my stomach.

I was in my bedroom when I heard the news... I just dropped to my knees and sobbed on the floor.

Shocked,dizzy,throwing up...not the same

I was outside playing with my son. A neighbor came home, walked by me and said "did you hear that? Michael Jackson died." I remember that I was on my knees already, fixing my sons shoelaces when she said that, so at least I was already on the ground.
I didn't believe her, just kept asking her over and over, "what?? what?? what?? (yes, very polite...)
I ran inside and turned the TV on. I went upstairs into my sons room, grabbed my laptop and watched "Ghosts" again and again and again, for hours. The 26th is my birthday. My friends and relatives from Europe started calling me (6 hours ahead) and wishing me a Happy Birthday while it still was the 25th here and I was just numb KNOWING I'd never get over this. But still numb.

He died and I began a new year in life grieving like so many others. I don't know how I will deal with it this year. Because now I am not numb and can't believe that like all of you this pain is still so very fresh. It still hurts like hell.

I was having lunch with a friend when another called me and told me "condolences" I said what the hell! He said "Michael Jackson died." I couldn't believe it and rushed back home to check up on the news. I had seen the thread about the ambulance before I go to lunch but dismissed it as rumor.

i was in the shower of all places left my laptop on and an ex friend of mine text me over yahoo and said have you heard michaels been taken to hospital in cardiac arrest of course i thought she was joking around but it turned out to be true all over sky news and cnn and bbc news

:cry:

i was like he cant be gone maybe the media have got confused

Thats a very painful day for me, I dont like to talk about it, Im still trying to block it out :cry:

That was 27th June around 5 am in my country.I had started 2 days off cause some busy days before.I slept keep turning on TV.Someone said " MJ been taken to the hospital...". and it came louder,Yes it came from breaking news from TV.I jumped up from my bed and watched every news.Same said true,and some said rumour. Few hours later every probrams said "King of POP MIchael Jackson has passed away" Some started his legendary MOON WALK and some started HIS documentary BAD tour IN japan over and over.
I opend my lap top ,searched LITTLE MICHAEL on youtube.

THANK YOU, BIG THANK YOU. LOVE

well i was on etonline looking at pictures of farrah(who had just passed away) then I switched over to badmediakarma (a birtney spears forum, yes I'm a fan!) and that's when I found out so then i switched over to mjjc which shortly after crashed and so i flipped on cnn and watched the whole day and night as well as the following day. His death possessed my whole summer for gods sake I even have files of set up on my computer with info we got each day.I I think I became so obsessed was more or less because well a) not only did I love Michael but b) it was such a strange and sudden death (well atleast within the first few days) I couldn't get my head around it and still can't. I probably didn't feel the hardcore grief because I'm still a relatively new fan. Although I've always know about MJ I only recently got very into him and his music in early 2009. I hope people can understand what I'm trying to say. There's days when I feel weird that I don't feel hardcore grief but then again everyone reacts differently with deaths.

There's been so many threads like this since June 25th.

At home. Was just about to go bed, but thought I'd check the news just before I logged off and bam, there it was. :sigh:

I was in bed. And my friend sent me a text message saying "Dude, Michael Jackson is dead". I had no idea what had happened. And my life took a new path that day. Complicated. :/

I was up in my room spending the day on my computer happily playing my Sims 3 game. Still trying to figure things out with it since I had gotten it on the first Saturday in June. While I watched one of my blank dvds that I had recorded some shows on. I was just totally oblivious of what was going on in the world. The only thing I did knew that happen that day. Was that Farrah Fawcett had died. And I thought that was just going to be the big news story of the day. That afternoon I did have this feeling that something was telling me to get in to my MJ sites now. But I just decided to ignore that feeling thinking that it was probably nothing. Then at 6:30 that night I decided to put the one main channel on my tv. To see the 6:30 pm news to see what they had to say about Farrah. Well instead of seeing Farrah. I saw Michael's Jam performance and the years 1958-2009 on my tv screen. I just scream and said something like no not my beloved Michael it just can't be. I did started to cry but I was just really shock at first. And then I realized this had to be some kind of a sick cruel joke that they are playing. So I immediately came here thinking that no Michael Jackson fan would say anything that cruel and sick. And reading what it what was said. It really was true and OMG did I just started to really cry. And every single horrible day since that horrible June day I have been crying over Michael. I really don't like talking about it since it just upsets me all over again. But I do know that night when I had heard the horrible news. I had forever slipped in to a state of deep depression and sadness. The happiness that I once knew and had is forever gone from me. I still am in deep mourning for him. Black is the only color I mostly wear now. I wear nothing but black pants, black shoes or slippers, and a black Michael Jackson t-shirt to show that I am still in mourning for him. And I will be forever.

I was watching Scrubs in my Room and my friend phoned me and said "Did you hear about MJ" i said "No, why whats happened" then i rushed into the living room and asked my Mum to turn the T.V to Sky News she did then when the news got Confirmed my heart just sank i couldn't believe he had died, it was shocking and its still so fresh in my memory aswell.

I was in bed cause it was like 12am here in Ireland and my dad came in said look at sky news michael is after having a heart attack, by the time i looked he was gone I just sat in shock in bed and stayed up all night cryin.. Man he was my idol since I was 2 and still even before he died i was a massive fan supporting him all the way.. Ya never think someone like MJ was gonna die, he was just one of those special people who come along once in a lifetime.. I was glad thou that I got to live to see what an amazing person he was, now the legacy must be kept alive for future fans to know how special he was..

Miss you MJ xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all the responses everyone. It lets me know I'm not alone in how I feel. :(

There's been so many threads like this since June 25th.

I'm sorry :( I'm new to this forum and I apologized in my 1st post if this had already been discussed.

I was watching TV (big brother to be exact) at home when my sister got a text of my couson, whos a kind of a joker, so I just assumed it was a joke. Then anxiety got the better of me so I changed the channel on to the news channel and there were just rummors that he was admitted to hospital.
I just stared at the TV, I was too busy staring at the TV praying he was OK to cry. My mother somehow assured me everything was going to be ok and that I should go to bed and she would come up and tell me if there was any news.
I went up and just stared at the ceiling. I herd her steps coming up the stairs soon after, she went to my sisters room so I just assumed it wasn't what I was dreading.
But then she came into my room and said come downstairs and I knew straight away, but I fought the tears and came down, she told me and I just cried and cried in my mums arms for litterly the whole night. I cried until sunrise and I was just so devistated that I could barely move never mind go to school.
Seeing Michael was one of my biggest life ambitions and I was only weeks away from fulfilling it I hyped it up so much I knew it was going to be the happiest day of my life. Eveyone who I spoke too I ended up telling them. I think this is what made it all the more harder :cry::(

June 25 2009 was the worst day of my life, and I fear it always will be :( :cry::cry::(

I am happy though that I was able to be on the same planet at the same time as he was, I mean all the stories I can tell of how me and the family say hand in hand to hear the verdict in 2005, when everyone else my age seemed to have condemned him, or of how we sat in my mums bedroom at 6:00am on Friday the 13th of March 2009 waiting for tickets for This Is It to go on sale, and how I was on top of the world when we got floor seats !! This man was like a modern day Jesus and I am so proud that I was able to witness and enjoy his life :)

Last edited:
Back