Which edits are better than the album cuts?

SeriousEffect.

Premium Member
Donations
$5.00
Country
United-States
What are your favorite single cuts or alternate edits and what do you like about them more than the album version?

I swear there used to be 3 different versions of YRMW, but I can't for the life of me find them or figure out what the differences are anymore...I blame old age.

I’m not really familiar with his his non album cuts, I am mostly very content with how the songs made it on the albums.

but I can fairly say I prefer black or white without the unnecessary intro, I also prefer the longer version of billie jean, that intro never gets old

What are your favorite single cuts or alternate edits and what do you like about them more than the album version?

I swear there used to be 3 different versions of YRMW, but I can't for the life of me find them or figure out what the differences are anymore...I blame old age.
I remember “burning” a cd with the “WKTU” (or something similar) version of YRMW. It was the NYC radio station that leaked the song prior to the official premiere. For some reason I seem to remember it was slightly different than the official versions that followed.

I remember “burning” a cd with the “WKTU” (or something similar) version of YRMW. It was the NYC radio station that leaked the song prior to the official premiere. For some reason I seem to remember it was slightly different than the official versions that followed.
Haha I did the exact same. ‘KTU The Beat’ still runs in my head every time I hear YRMW. Anyone remember The Tag Team Remix of YRMW with the Piano intro? It wasn’t official but was floating around the fan community in 2001/2002. Absolutely amazing.

Haha I did the exact same. ‘KTU The Beat’ still runs in my head every time I hear YRMW. Anyone remember The Tag Team Remix of YRMW with the Piano intro? It wasn’t official but was floating around the fan community in 2001/2002. Absolutely amazing.

Blast from the past!!!! Forgot about the tag team remix (Es? - there might have been a second tag team mix of another track)

Back to the original post. Here’s the KTU version. It’s noticeably different from the album/single version (and I don’t mean the fans talking over the beginning) - seems a bit sped up (can someone check this?) and the intro sounds different (the instrumental intro after the “skit” with Chris tucker )

I prefer all of the single/radio edits to the album versions, which I never listen to. for example;

shake your body (down to the ground)’

‘don’t stop til you get enough’
‘can you feel it’
‘wanna be startin somethin’

there’s an alternate version of ‘human nature’ that features a slightly different musical interlude in the middle, which is an octave higher than the regular album version. it’s the definitive version for me.
this remixed short version of ‘thriller’ is the only one I listen to outside of the steve akoi remix. it’s perfect because it removes the vincent price speech, yet it keeps michael’s ad-libs towards the closing.
i’ve found this edit of ‘billie jean’. apparently it was done by iheart radio. there were some other variations released officially around the world. I listen to this over the regular version which despite having already been cut down, is still too long at almost 5:00 minutes.
I don’t think a song should ever overstay its welcome. shorter songs have higher replay value for me. edits are compact; the fat is trimmed, and they get to the point and focus on what’s most important.

I prefer the single edit of Black or White, Another part of me and the alternate version of Will you be there on the visionary single that removes the music from the start but keeps Michael's speech at the end.

Prefer the original album versions of Bad and Rock with you to the 7" replacements.

I don’t think a song should ever overstay its welcome. shorter songs have higher replay value for me. edits are compact; the fat is trimmed, and they get to the point and focus on what’s most important.
I guess you don't listen to much jazz, disco, or progressive rock then, lol. Supper's Ready by Genesis is around 24 minutes long & The Creator Has A Master Plan by Pharoh Sanders is 33 minutes.

As far as the topic goes I like the instrumental version of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

This is why I'm wary of compilations. So often they give you the longer version of a song. Drives me bonkers!

I guess you don't listen to much jazz, disco, or progressive rock then, lol. Supper's Ready by Genesis is around 24 minutes long & The Creator Has A Master Plan by Pharoh Sanders is 33 minutes.
The two things are not mutually exclusive, though. My fave Zep song (Kashmir) is 11 minutes. My fave Yes song (Close to the Edge) is 18 minutes. My fave ELP album (Pictures) which is almost the only album I listen to in its entirety is 42 minutes long. My fave Miles Davis song (So What) is about 9 mins long. None of that changes the fact that I much prefer singles / radio edits of songs and would take them over a longer album version every time.

As far as the topic goes I like the instrumental version of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
despite your ‘lol’, you seemed to have taken my post personally..
I made it clear that it was just my opinion. one that hasn’t changed despite your attempts to shame and bombard me with artists and genres (aside from disco), that i couldn’t care less about 🤷‍♀️
good on you for liking ‘wanna be startin somethin’ though..

This is why I'm wary of compilations. So often they give you the longer version of a song. Drives me bonkers!

this is the reason that ‘the essential michael jackson’ compilation is my favourite album (the first half from ‘I want you back’ to ‘thriller’). the uk version that came out in 2010 has all the single edits.💜

My ideal song lengths are usually between 4 and 8 ish minutes. It gives me time to really sink into the song, sometimes I need that time to acclimatize to music. This is the best explanation I can offer 😛

For example I'm always disappointed radio plays the single cut of Shake your body and leaves out my fave part which is the long funky outro

But I think in reality perhaps some songs deserve to have some fat cut and I'm looking at progressive rock specifically. But then again I really dig some Mike Oldfield epics.

I'm going to shut up.

despite your ‘lol’, you seemed to have taken my post personally..
It's a joke. That's why I put "lol" because humor doesn't really translate in print if I just put the comment as it was. I can clearly tell that you probably don't listen to jazz because that isn't played on commercial radio and jazz songs aren't usually released as singles to have an edit. It's wasn't that serious. If it came off as shaming, that wasn't the intent.

My ideal song lengths are usually between 4 and 8 ish minutes.
I think mine would be 3m to 4m max. I can cope with longer, obvs. I prefer not to, though.

It gives me time to really sink into the song, sometimes I need that time to acclimatize to music. This is the best explanation I can offer 😛

For example I'm always disappointed radio plays the single cut of Shake your body and leaves out my fave part which is the long funky outro

But I think in reality perhaps some songs deserve to have some fat cut and I'm looking at progressive rock specifically. But then again I really dig some Mike Oldfield epics.

I'm going to shut up.
This is a fair comment. I think it really just depends. I wouldn't cut a single second of Close to the Edge by Yes (18m 45s). But the long version of 'Can You Feel It' makes me lose the will to live. It HAS to be the 7" single version for me.

Dance songs are longer because they're designed more for people dancing in clubs, not really for Top 40 radio listeners per se. Disco songs often have lyrics about dancing & parties. Dancers don't want the songs to change too often because then they would lose their dance flow, which is a reason club DJs determine the beats per minute (BPM) to play similar speed songs together. People dancing are listening more to the grooves and not the singing so much, so there's long instrumental parts. Which is a reason 12" remix singles became popular with that audience. If you watch TV shows like Soul Train & American Bandstand, there's dancers on them.

In The Closet Single Version
Black or White Album Edit
Will You Be There Album Edit
You Rock My World Album Edit

And they aren't talked about but the David Mitson Clean Edit of This Time Around and the Clean Album Version of Scream are both fun too.

Otherwise I hate when they trim and change his songs. The longer the better please.

For me, 3-5 minutes works best. 6 minutes really drags if nothing is happening (ie some remixes). Although epics like November Rain and Dry County and be really rewarding.

I don't like the current trend of everything being 2 minutes. Seems they just make them so short so people are less likely to skip them, so that they make more streaming royalties.

With MJ I like a mix of stuff. I'm normally just listening to full albums from the CD, but sometimes watching a concert DVD. My iPod shuffle has like 100 different MJ remixes on it (mostly I go for ones that actually sound different, rather than simply having a longer or shorter edit).

My fave Zep song (Kashmir) is 11 minutes.
I've got a version of Dazed and Confused that's 25 mins. Way too long!

Dance songs are longer because they're designed more for people dancing in clubs, not really for Top 40 radio listeners per se.
And if you have a 2 minute intro and a 2 minute outro, it gives the DJ long enough to mix them.

[...] I've got a version of Dazed and Confused that's 25 mins. Way too long! [...]
oh god, that's insane! Sounds like the live version. I don't like Zep live so I've never listened to that. 6m 30s is plenty long enough for me, lol.

The album versions are the definite ones to me. (The only exceptions [maybe] being certain 12" mixes.) I don’t think any of Michael’s songs have “unnecessary” intros, as some say.

Are we doing different album versions, too? Because, then, I’ll also have to mention that I vastly prefer the original (uncensored) versions of Scream and They Don’t Care About Us, as well as the original intro version of HIStory, to the versions they were replaced with on subsequent pressings. I also prefer the original Bad mix, with the horns in the choruses. With The Way You Make Me Feel, however, I prefer the later version, with the ad lib during the fadeout.

One would say that Michael Jackson was the King Of Unnecessary And Boring Song Intros.

For example (album versions):

'Cry' [00:00 – 00:10]

'Who Is It' [00:00 – 00:20]

'Unbreakable' [00:00 – 00:17]

'Invincible' [00:00 – 00:06]

'Morphine' [00:00 – 00:18]

'Another Part Of Me' [00:00 – 00:06]

'Privacy' [00:00 – 00:35]

'Dangerous' [00:00 – 00:20]

'Smooth Criminal' [00:00 – 00:13]

'Can't Let Her Get Away' [00:00 – 00:17]

'Stranger In Moscow' [00:00 – 00:21]

'Why You Wanna Trip On Me' [00:00 – 00:16]

'Will You Be There' [00:00 – 01:49]

'Little Susie' [00:00 – 02:50]

'You Rock My World' [spoken intro]

'2 Bad' [spoken intro]

'Black Or White' [spoken intro]

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' [spoken intro]

One would say that Michael Jackson was the King Of Unnecessary And Boring Song Intros.

For example (album versions):

'Cry' [00:00 – 00:10]

'Who Is It' [00:00 – 00:20]

'Unbreakable' [00:00 – 00:17]

'Invincible' [00:00 – 00:06]

'Morphine' [00:00 – 00:18]

'Another Part Of Me' [00:00 – 00:06]

'Privacy' [00:00 – 00:35]

'Dangerous' [00:00 – 00:20]

'Smooth Criminal' [00:00 – 00:13]

'Can't Let Her Get Away' [00:00 – 00:17]

'Stranger In Moscow' [00:00 – 00:21]

'Why You Wanna Trip On Me' [00:00 – 00:16]

'Will You Be There' [00:00 – 01:49]

'Little Susie' [00:00 – 02:50]

'You Rock My World' [spoken intro]

'2 Bad' [spoken intro]

'Black Or White' [spoken intro]

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' [spoken intro]
Didnt think we'd be going straight to worst take possible in what's barely the 3rd day but ok.

I'm off topic and idc! I have to stand up for my songs! :D

Little Susie and WYBT - the intros for both are, imo, exquisite, essential to the drama of each song and help to elevate each song to a whole other level. In the case of Little Susie, to the level of being a masterpiece, imo. The transition from the classical music to Michael's songs was expertly executed. Sublime!

I'm off topic and idc! I have to stand up for my songs! :D

Little Susie and WYBT - the intros for both are, imo, exquisite, essential to the drama of each song and help to elevate each song to a whole other level. In the case of Little Susie, to the level of being a masterpiece, imo. The transition from the classical music to Michael's songs was expertly executed. Sublime!
He could have easily made “interludes” just like Janet (and many others) have done so many times for those two songs. Best of both worlds.

He could have easily made “interludes” just like Janet (and many others) have done so many times for those two songs. Best of both worlds.
I don't listen to Janet. What are these 'interludes'? If they separate the classical stuff from the rest of the song I'm not sure I'd be interested, tbh. It's not just that I love the pieces Michael chose to use, it's the transitions into his songs.

EDIT - OK, I just checked out Janet. You mean the spoken word stuff? Oh, I wasn't talking about that. I just mean the use of classical music to take us into WYBT and LS. I think it's masterfully done on Michael's songs. I know some people find them tiresome and prefer to skip them. I adore them!

Further edit - separating Michael's spoken word bits on WYBT might work bc his speaking voice is so lovely.

Back