Which single do you think should not have been a single?

PYT - it’s a great song but I think the lady in my life would have had bigger impact at the time but of course ideally all 9 should have been singles imo

Gone too soon - it barely got airplay but I don’t know why anyone would think this is a good single choice, I personally adore it obviously but it is not a hit. I was glad it got a bit of airplay/attention in 2009...

blood on the dancefloor - any of the other 4 would have made a significantly bigger and longer lasting impact. These days the song is completely forgotten

you rock my world - too safe for a first choice

cry - just bad, no wonder It failed to chart top 40 basically everywhere in the world

Cry is a good shout , such a terrible track that should not have been on the album, let alone released as a single.

I can only base it on the UK charts , landed at 25 then swiftly dropped down the charts without leaving any impact.

Blood on the dance floor ^^^ number 1 in the UK but yes I agree its forgotten , gets zero airtime too.

What song do you wish MJ hadn't given airplay to?

My pick is YRMW. Not because it's bad, but because it should've been Unbreakable first.
I'll also go out on a limb and say Smile wouldn't have been a good pick. Especially with Tabloid Junkie or D.S there instead, to play those on radio would've been effective psychological warfare.

PYT - it’s a great song but I think the lady in my life would have had bigger impact at the time but of course ideally all 9 should have been singles imo
It amazes me they didn't release LIML as a single for T40. Sony should have been trying to beat their own record and have an 8th hit.

Gone too soon - it barely got airplay but I don’t know why anyone would think this is a good single choice, I personally adore it obviously but it is not a hit. I was glad it got a bit of airplay/attention in 2009...
I liked that the first time I heard the album.

What song do you wish MJ hadn't given airplay to?
Cry. Just Cry. It's a filler song, it isn't even beautiful as the other humanitarian songs by Michael. It's just boring. Cool beat though? But that's it really.

Cry. Just Cry. It's a filler song, it isn't even beautiful as the other humanitarian songs by Michael. It's just boring. Cool beat though? But that's it really.
It's a bad MJ song, not a bad song. If Justin Timberlake or Bruno Mars was singing it it'd be a big freaking deal.

Ghosts and Is It Scary were singles though. Not US side exactly but still.
Ghosts was the B side to the euro dance history remix only. I don’t remember it receiving airplay in my country. Is it scary was not a proper single release.

correct me if wrong

Gone Too Soon- I get the intention behind it but the fact that we got a video for this one instead of a Dangerous video still upsets me.

Ghosts/HIStory - Ghosts should’ve been a standalone single.

YRMW - Would’ve much rather had Unbreakable or Butterflies as the lead single.

Cry - abysmal song, video is even worse. Doesn’t surprise me this one flopped.

Ghosts was the B side to the euro dance history remix only. I don’t remember it receiving airplay in my country.
Technically it was a double A-side. Whether something actually got played doesn't make a difference.

I believe there was also a plan for Smile to be a double A-side with Is It Scary.

Is it scary was not a proper single release.

correct me if wrong
As far as I can work out, the Americans have this stupid thing where "if a song was played on the radio that must define it as a single". That's just wrong.

Plus, of course, the whole concept is now moot - the idea of a single was abandoned around 10 years ago when you could buy or stream any song individually. There is no longer any such thing as a single.

As good as YRMW is when played loud, I have to say that YRMW and especially Cry made Michael sound like a toothless impersonator. Unbreakable and Whatever Happens as the first singles would've shown a Michael who still had it.

Far too much YRMW slander in this thread. I think you're forgetting Michael had been missing from the music scene for four years at this point, of course, they were going for the safest option - and rightly so, as it scored highly on most charts.

I agree Cry was a poor choice though. I could also take or leave any of the 2008 remix singles.

Far too much YRMW slander in this thread. I think you're forgetting Michael had been missing from the music scene for four years at this point, of course, they were going for the safest option - and rightly so, as it scored highly on most charts.

I agree Cry was a poor choice though. I could also take or leave any of the 2008 remix singles.
I think you’re forgetting that Sony and Mottola wanted YRMW as the lead single, Michael wanted Unbreakable.

I agree, YRMW is damn catchy.
But after HIStory people were expecting a more aggressive MJ. For those, Unbreakable would've been the right choice.

I think you’re forgetting that Sony and Mottola wanted YRMW as the lead single, Michael wanted Unbreakable.
To be honest I think this is one of those times where I think the right choice was made despite what Michael wanted. YRMW is more radio-friendly and sounds more "Michael Jackson" than Unbreakable does....which might not be what long-term fans wanted or would choose but it would be what the casual music listener would.

Admittedly I have a bias toward YRMW, it reminded me MJ was around in 2001 and prompted me to buy Invincible the first CD I bought myself at 13. It started me in the fandom.

Someone wrote, 2000 Watts would've been a great first single. Do you agree?

Someone wrote, 2000 Watts would've been a great first single. Do you agree?
I would say no I don't think it would be a good first single.

It sounds completely different to what Michael had done before but the song itself is pretty weak ,the chorus is not catchy enough either.

I want a feel good song , 2000 Watts leaves me feeling cold and in 2001 Destiny's child and NSYNC were releasing better.

I don't even think it would be radio friendly enough.

Back