Which single do you think should not have been a single?

People started to become fed up with Michael Jackson's recurrent theme of portraying himself as the eternal victim.

Apparently, Sony Music's top executives were aware of that, which also seems to explain why they did not want to release 'Unbreakable' as the first single from the album.

Regarding 'Whatever Happens' as the first single, that would not have been a good idea, either (because it is basically a cover song).

I don’t think anything on Invincible was single worthy. I’m sure most fans appreciate the album but in my opinion zero songs had hit potential. I’m not hating but compared to other album Vince didn’t really have a well laid plan for success on the charts.

I don’t think anything on Invincible was single worthy. I’m sure most fans appreciate the album but in my opinion zero songs had hit potential. I’m not hating but compared to other album Vince didn’t really have a well laid plan for success on the charts.
I agree, listening to the album it is hard to pick out instant radio friendly hits , it's lacking those in abundance.

I genuinely believe people (public) were a bit bored of MJ in 2001 , there was mostly nothing new it was all rehashed ideas despite there not being a full release since History.

The classic MJ look, white socks etc it was all a bit dated by the early 2000s.

It's weird though because by 2009 , there was demand for MJ again and abscence defo makes the heart grow fonder. The hype around This is it changed things for the better.

Last edited:
It's a freaking promo single
Nah. It's just a song the label wanted them to play on the radio. If you couldn't buy the song individually, then it is not a single. That's the whole definition.

agree Cry was a poor choice though. I could also take or leave any of the 2008 remix singles.
WBSD wasn't too bad. Every other remix on T25 was extremely poor though.

Like, in the 90s, there were only two possibilities - you could either buy something or you couldn't. There is no intermediate. It doesn't matter what Sony tells you. If something wasn't sitting on the shelf in the singles section of the shop then it must be an album track.

Butterflies, Break of Dawn, and most of the ballads were definitely single worthy imo. Neo-Soul was blooming, people loved Raphael Saadiq and Musiq Soul child and all that kind of older fashioned R&B.

Would they tip the pop charts, that's different.

Like, in the 90s, there were only two possibilities - you could either buy something or you couldn't. There is no intermediate. It doesn't matter what Sony tells you. If something wasn't sitting on the shelf in the singles section of the shop then it must be an album track.
I'm putting you on ignore. I'm sick of your old man yelling at the clouds shtick.

Well no.

Is it scary was released on CD and 12" as a promotional single.

Yeah, and there were perhaps 100 copies worldwide, they literally say on them "not for sale".

In contrast, an actual single might have 50,000 copies, maybe even a million. An actual single would be available in thousands of stores, and anybody would be able to buy it.

It's just really important to remember that a "promotional single" is not a single.

Yeah, and there were perhaps 100 copies worldwide, they literally say on them "not for sale".

In contrast, an actual single might have 50,000 copies, maybe even a million. An actual single would be available in thousands of stores, and anybody would be able to buy it.

It's just really important to remember that a "promotional single" is not a single.
Except it is....hence the word single being in the name.

There are other songs from HIStory that deserved it more. YANA is a generic pop song that could have been sung by anyone
While that is true, it's still the reality that it's his last #1. Nothing else made it there. You don't have to love it, just accept it.

While that is true, it's still the reality that it's his last #1. Nothing else made it there. You don't have to love it, just accept
You are not alone is a hit all day long , it's generic but upon first listen it's easy to tell that this would be a pretty big radio hit.

That's the difference with the songs on Invincible, if you were to throw YANA on Invincible it will still stand out as being a future big hit.

Hate R Kelly though

You are not alone is a hit all day long , it's generic but upon first listen it's easy to tell that this would be a pretty big radio hit.

That's the difference with the songs on Invincible, if you were to throw YANA on Invincible it will still stand out as being a future big hit.

Hate R Kelly though
It's plagiarized though lol. That's what makes it funny.

I do think R.Kelly is a decent songwriter, unfortunately. But the songs appeal in this case has nothing to do with him. It's essentially, not his song. His name should have been removed, long ago.

At the end of the day I'll take Break of Dawn or Butterflies over YANA these days.

YRMW was a HUGE radio hit in Europe, did better at Radio than its actual sales chart placements. It was also very well received by critics and did well at the clubs too considering its lack of remixes. It also did rather well in the US, making it to number 9 on the airplay rankings before the video dropped. I really cannot see how anyone could consider it a bad choice of single - the NME described it as his best single since BJ!!!!

’Cry’, as we all seem to agree, was a total disaster. It was criminal to choose that over Whatever Happens.

Going back to earlier times, I think Girlfriend was a wasted fifth single from Off the Wall in the UK - a near total flop.

Some may also question ‘Gone Too Soon’ as the ninth single from Dangerous. However, that was clearly a single released under difficult circumstances - MJ was not available for promo, no other track from Dangerous had a video already produced so the label clearly chose the only track left which they could put out with a low budget video without MJ involvement. Given the singles dedication to Ryan White, aligning the single with its release on World Aids Day was a smart move. The label deserve credit for giving it a try, and it was not a total flop all things considered.

Overall, I think Epic/Sony have not made a bad choice of singles, though the sequence of singles could be debated and, of course, the lack of Singles is another issue of contention (especially for the American market).

[...] ’Cry’, as we all seem to agree, was a total disaster. It was criminal to choose that over Whatever Happens. [...]
Here I am, the lone voice crying into the wilderness, lol.

I love Cry. I love the video. I listen to it way more than MITM. In fact, I don't listen to MITM. I listen to Cry.

OK, I'm done.

Here I am, the lone voice crying into the wilderness, lol.

I love Cry. I love the video. I listen to it way more than MITM. In fact, I don't listen to MITM. I listen to Cry.

OK, I'm done.
I've never really heard anyone say why Cry is a bad song. They just hate it (and/or the author) and say it's a worse Man in the Mirror or whatever. That has nothing to do with the song. Heal The World is already a "worse" Man in The Mirror. Honestly I think it's just bias.

I think the video is pretty cool. Idk what people would expect, it's not a dance video.

Sure, MJ could appear. It should be right at the end though, like the last person to clasp hands. That would make it a top tier video imo

The people on this site who think You Are Not Alone was not a good single choice must have never listened to the radio, or at least not Top 40 in the USA. This kind of adult contemporary type ballad has always been popular in the US, no matter what else was in style. In the middle of disco and arena rock during the 1970s, songs like Feelings by Morris Albert & You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone were big hits. Barbra Streisand & Barry Manilow albums sold well during that time and so did soft rock acts like Bread, America, Jim Croce, John Denver, Cat Stevens, etc. In the 1980s rock bands got popular songs with power ballads. Smooth jazz sax player Kenny G sold multiplatinum during the 1980s too. There's a R&B radio slow jam program called "Quiet Storm" named after a Smokey Robinson song. One of the biggest hits of the 1990s is I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston and The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the biggest selling albums of the 1990s. This was after grunge blew up. Whitney even got a Top 10 hit with The Star Spangled Banner (aka US national anthem). The 1997 version of Elton John's Candle In The Wind was really popular. In more recent times, Adele is one of the biggest selling singers of the 2000s.

The people on this site who think You Are Not Alone was not a good single choice must have never listened to the radio, or at least not Top 40 in the USA. This kind of adult contemporary style ballad has always been popular in the US, not matter what else was in style.
Agreed.

I've never really heard anyone say why Cry is a bad song. They just hate it (and/or the author) and say it's a worse Man in the Mirror or whatever. That has nothing to do with the song. Heal The World is already a "worse" Man in The Mirror. Honestly I think it's just bias.

I think the video is pretty cool. Idk what people would expect, it's not a dance video.

Sure, MJ could appear. It should be right at the end though, like the last person to clasp hands. That would make it a top tier video imo
That's not a bad idea. Something very low-key. That could have really worked.

Romantic ballads often remain popular long past their original release, unlike some other type of hits. Similar to Christmas songs. They're used for dedications, weddings, Valentine's Day, etc. & also stuff like soap operas/romantic movies. This even happens with ballads where if the listener actually paid attention to the lyrics, they're not a really good idea for this kind of use, such as Reasons by Earth, Wind & Fire. 😅

That's not a bad idea. Something very low-key. That could have really worked.
The filming of the 'Cry' music video took place at the Napa area (in Northern California).

It has been said that terrorist attacks were about to take place at that time near to the Napa area.

Michael Jackson apparently did not want to risk his life, hence his decision to leave the Napa area at that time (resulting also in his absence from that music video).

Romantic ballads often remain popular long past their original release, unlike some other type of hits. Similar to Christmas songs. They're used for dedications, weddings, Valentine's Day, etc. & also stuff like soap operas/romantic movies. This even happens with ballads where if the listener actually paid attention to the lyrics, they're not a really good idea for this kind of use, such as Reasons by Earth, Wind & Fire. 😅
Well this just reminds me of how many break up songs the DJ played at my sister's wedding anniversary party lol. She danced with her husband to P.Y.T. though.

The filming of the 'Cry' music video took place at the Napa area (in Northern California).

It has been said that terrorist attacks were about to take place at that time near to the Napa area.

Michael Jackson apparently did not want to risk his life, hence his decision to leave the Napa area at that time (resulting also in his absence from that music video).
Filmed in the weeks after 9/11, Jackson was too nervous to travel to the shoot in northern California. When Jackson saw the rough cut of the video, he and the director, Nick Brandt, agreed that the video was stronger without Jackson in it.

You're full of

But I don't care and this isn't relevant. I don't mind at all that Michael is not in the video. Mr JT's idea is a good one but the video works just fine without Michael, imo.

So he was OK with all the hundreds of other extras risking their life for his own music video whilst he sat comfortably in Neverland?

What a load of shite

Back