Which single do you think should not have been a single?

YRMW was a HUGE radio hit in Europe, did better at Radio than its actual sales chart placements. It was also very well received by critics and did well at the clubs too considering its lack of remixes. It also did rather well in the US, making it to number 9 on the airplay rankings before the video dropped. I really cannot see how anyone could consider it a bad choice of single - the NME described it as his best single since BJ!!!!
Critics giving YANA positive reviews is something I never took seriously. Critics were very negative towards Michael's other songs on the HIStory album because they didn't like Michael's angry/negative tone in those songs. But after what he went through in 1993 what did they expect? For him to write/sing songs like TWYMMF, IJCSLY and RWY like nothing hapened? Critics wanted Michael ''in his place'' and for lack of a better term that's what YANA did for them. YANA was a simple and safe love song and thats what critics loved about it.

Cry and You Rock My World. There was far better tracks on Invincible. Whatever Happens or Unbreakable would have been nice.

I donā€™t think anything on Invincible was single worthy. Iā€™m sure most fans appreciate the album but in my opinion zero songs had hit potential. Iā€™m not hating but compared to other album Vince didnā€™t really have a well laid plan for success on the charts.
I have to agree with you.

On top of that, I always had the feeling that Invincible would have been better received if it would have been released in 1999, with some tracks from Blood On The Dance Floor tracks integrated into it, and Xscape too, why not.

Xscape, had to been released in 1999 as a single, would have been a smash. There wasn't, yet, at the time, such a sound. By 2001, it was already too late.

But by 2001, I remember, the music world was shifting rapidly, we were using Napster too which expended our tastes. When You Rock My World appeared, yeah it was good, but it already sounded dated upon release. The music video didn't help: we could barely see MJ's face, and the dancing was toned down. I remember vividly thinking "oh well, that's a start, let's see what the next single will be"..... And nothing.... I don't remember hearing any other singles on the radio at the time.

I think YRMW was the right choice.

You've got to remember in 2001 Mike had been out of the spotlight for years (at least on the big stage) and his last few singles had been more serious or more angry topics (understandably) So YRMW was not only a shock but it was a much needed breath of fresh air.

The problem with looking back retrospectively is you lose context. YRMW single/Invincible release was probably my earliest memory of Mike, you couldn't get away from the song, it was either on the radio or it was coming up next. For about two months it was everywhere.

The only thing that stopped YRMW going to number 1 in the UK, was how massive Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie was. That song was on all time and the video was played constantly.

When You Rock My World appeared, yeah it was good, but it already sounded dated upon release.
I said that last week and got questioned on it, lol. It was just very safe and very ordinary - same with the video. Let's be honest, if it wasn't MJ singing, none of us would give that song a second thought, it would have been forgotten within a month.

you couldn't get away from the song, it was either on the radio or it was coming up next. For about two months it was everywhere.
To be honest, this is the reason I stopped watching TV and radio. It's bad in the UK but even worse in the US. My concentration span is longer than 30 minutes - stop treating me like an idiot.

These were some of the songs from an early track list of the 'Invincible' album (that would have made the official version of the album if it was released by mid-2000):

- 'Cry'
- 'Speechless'
- 'A Place With No Name'
- 'She Was Loving Me'
- 'You Rock My World'
- 'Break Of Dawn'
- 'Blue Gangsta'
- 'Weā€™ve Had Enough'
- 'Xscape'

Also, there was no indication at all that songs/leftovers from the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album would have been integrated into the 'Invincible' album.

Regarding the 'You Rock My World' music video, there are also certain dialogue parts in it that are laughable and thus unconvincing.

Also, the viewer gets the feel that an impersonator of Michael Jackson appears in that music video, rather than the real Michael Jackson.

The problem with looking back retrospectively is you lose context. YRMW single/Invincible release was probably my earliest memory of Mike, you couldn't get away from the song, it was either on the radio or it was coming up next. For about two months it was everywhere.
The song was a success. It deserves to be a single for sure. I personally just believe they would've been able to do it justice as the second single, just as well. And then maybe even keep some momentum, conceptualize a more singularly unique video, the works. With the benefit of hindsight, of course, only one song really got the flowers and YRMW was probably the best shot overall. It wasn't a "failure" but it certainly wasn't his strongest. Still I've always enjoyed the song and that goes for a lot of younger people as well. And it was popular, no matter what some people say.

In truth I personally am fine with just about everything MJ did, Artistically Wise. Time heals all wounds.

Obvious choice for me is YRMW. Too much of a safe pick, and only done because Sony refused to put more money into Invincible after he told them he wasn't renewing his contract.

Cry was an OK single HOWEVER it should have been released as a 9/11 tribute instead of months later. I would even go so far as to say it shouldn't have been on the album, and should have been released as a B-side to What More Can I Give. Put Shout on Invincible in it's place.

As good as YRMW is when played loud, I have to say that YRMW and especially Cry made Michael sound like a toothless impersonator. Unbreakable and Whatever Happens as the first singles would've shown a Michael who still had it.
A huge missed opportunity here. With the latin flavor hot from the late 90's to this point with Santana, JLo, Shakira, and Enrique, this song had number 1 written all over it.

My real pick is Another Part of Me. As much as I love that song, it broke the streak for Bad singles. If Smooth Criminal had been the 6th single, then Bad would have 6 #1hits. It's that simple

My real pick is Another Part of Me. As much as I love that song, it broke the streak for Bad singles. If Smooth Criminal had been the 6th single, then Bad would have 6 #1hits. It's that simple
Another Part Of Me did get to #1 on the R&B chart. Stevie Wonder's Get It was #4 on the R&B chart too, but got little if any Top 40 airplay.

I'm talking Hot 100 though.
:unsure: R1chard must be hacking people's accounts now.
2afd91831f898d0b296cc013ed870384e79b2d6d.gif

Back