Which single do you think should not have been a single?

I think YRMW was the right choice.

You've got to remember in 2001 Mike had been out of the spotlight for years (at least on the big stage) and his last few singles had been more serious or more angry topics (understandably) So YRMW was not only a shock but it was a much needed breath of fresh air.

The problem with looking back retrospectively is you lose context. YRMW single/Invincible release was probably my earliest memory of Mike, you couldn't get away from the song, it was either on the radio or it was coming up next. For about two months it was everywhere.

The only thing that stopped YRMW going to number 1 in the UK, was how massive Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie was. That song was on all time and the video was played constantly.

YRMW should have been an easy UK number 1 single - it sold 93,000 copies in its first week which was considerably more than the median average of a UK number 1 single in 2001.

Now, you are right, one issue was that Kylie Minogue was having a once in a lifetime critical and commercial smash with CGYOOMH and that happened to be competitor for YRMW.

However, there were other issues at play.

1) YRMW was released only on one format (typically, in 2001, UK singles were released on two CD formats to boast sales).
2) YRMW had no notable bonus content (e.g remixes).
3) YRMW retailed at a full price of £3.99 (typically, in 2001, UK singles retailed at £1.99 for its opening week and then £2.99 or £3.99 afterwards - YRMW almost uniquely was not discounted to retailers at all).

If any of the above three factors were different, YRMW would surely have sold the few extra thousand copies to debut at number 1 and overtake Kylie.

I have explained elsewhere I was partially engaged with the UK/European marketing campaign for Invincible and already have given reasons why there were no remixes, which explains the 1st and 2nd issue. These were issues out of the UK label’s hands.

As for the third issue. Yes, I understand it probably stopped YRMW from hitting number 1, but objectively speaking it was no doubt the correct decision from a financial/profit view.

Either way, YRMW was huge on UK radio and did what it was meant to do.

"You Rock My World" did fine and quite frankly better than most people would have expected from MJ in 2001. I'll never understand anyone who thinks it was a bad choice when it was a worldwide success.

Anyway, to answer the question of the thread, "Girlfriend" and "Cry" are easily MJ's worst singles of all time. Other than those, "One More Chance" shouldn't have been a single because 2003 was a terrible time for MJ to release music.

Last edited:
"Cry" should have been replaced with "We've Had Enough"
i like CRY but its kinda boring... and the video was beyond boring..
I've never been a fan either.

I'm shocked Whatever Happens and Break Of Dawn weren't singles,espicially when BOD would appear on Number 1's a couple of years later

"Break of Dawn" was included on Number Ones apparently because producer Dr. Freeze threatened to sue MJ for taking a co-worker credit on the song when he didn't write any of it.

That "take you on a cruise" is definitely the worst line he ever sung. I can't take the rest of it seriously after that.

Break Of Dawn is a song I'm not too fond of either. As a straight man I'm not a fan of Michael singing about how he wants to make love til the break of dawn. lol.

I feel like it's more of a song for the ladies and that's cool.

Break Of Dawn is a song I'm not too fond of either. As a straight man I'm not a fan of Michael singing about how he wants to make love til the break of dawn. lol.

Bro, 99% of artists sing about "making love". Who are you gonna listen to lol?

I love Break Of Dawn and wouldn't change anything about it (other than perhaps adding more MJ backgrounds, although Dr Freeze's vocals are great)

Although I will say perhaps this is my main issue with Invincible. Had it been the Dangerous era and Mike got given Break Of Dawn (and a few other songs on the record that were in need of a lyrical polish) I think he would have add bits to them to make them stronger and took charge more.
Maybe he just lost a bit of confidence in his own abilities?

I love Break Of Dawn and wouldn't change anything about it (other than perhaps adding more MJ backgrounds, although Dr Freeze's vocals are great)

Although I will say perhaps this is my main issue with Invincible. Had it been the Dangerous era and Mike got given Break Of Dawn (and a few other songs on the record that were in need of a lyrical polish) I think he would have add bits to them to make them stronger and took charge more.
Maybe he just lost a bit of confidence in his own abilities?
Yeah, the start of Invincible and the start of Dangerous could not be more different as far as MJs headspace goes.

That "take you on a cruise" is definitely the worst line he ever sung. I can't take the rest of it seriously after that.
It does have some silly lyrics. "Let's both go outside and play" is cringe and doesn't fit a sex song.

But it's one of the better tracks on the album.

Hearing MJ sing "come get me thighs" on Heartbreaker is way crazier to me than any part of Break of Dawn or really anything.

But this is the same guy who made a song about "the force" and said "You're a vegetable" so he doesn't really have to answer for it lol.

Back