Why did the HIStory singles die off in the USA?

Zeus 7

Proud Member
Any ideas? Scream broke the highest EVER chart entry position, entering at number 3, then You Are Not Alone became the first EVER straight to number one song, Earthsong had no USA release and They Don't Care About Us and Stranger in Moscow performed poorly despite being 2 of his biggest fan favourites, any reasons?

A lot of radio stations in the USA refused to play They Don't Care About Us because of the Jewish terms in it. Jewish organizations also protested the song. The later pressings of the album had those words bleeped out.

A lot of radio stations in the USA refused to play They Don't Care About Us because of the Jewish terms in it. Jewish organizations also protested the song. The later pressings of the album had those words bleeped out.
Yeah, I remember it happening and have both versions of the album, surely that didn't affect the entire remainder of the HIStory campaign? The TDCAU lyrics were discussed in the Diane Sawyer interview so it was known during Screams release

There is a lot peculiar stuff

Leave me alone, Earth song, Give in to me and Liberian girl were singles in Europe but not in the US.
I can’t really remember from the top of my head if it happened the other way around as well.

It’s also strange how TDCAU got a lot of flack in the US for the jew content but not in Europe where there are also a lot of jews.
And then we have stranger in Moscow which is universally critically acclaimed as one of Michael’s finest songs by people who know a thing or two about music but the record buying public had other thoughts.

And then we have stranger in Moscow which is universally critically acclaimed as one of Michael’s finest songs by people who know a thing or two about music but the record buying public had other thoughts.
Critics & the general audience are 2 different things. Mainstream music listeners are who gave Drake 300 or so hits, lol. Critics like Bob Dylan, but Dylan has had very few radio hits.

Any ideas? Scream broke the highest EVER chart entry position, entering at number 3, then You Are Not Alone became the first EVER straight to number one song, Earthsong had no USA release and They Don't Care About Us and Stranger in Moscow performed poorly despite being 2 of his biggest fan favourites, any reasons?
You forgot to mention Smile and This Time Around. 2 poor singles, one of them could be a real hit (Smile)

Earth song went number 1 in the UK for 6 weeks and it went number one in a number of other countries

Stranger in Moscow went number 4 in the UK, and number 1 in Spain, Italy and the Czech Republic.

But the US was another story...

There is a lot peculiar stuff

Leave me alone, Earth song, Give in to me and Liberian girl were singles in Europe but not in the US.
I can’t really remember from the top of my head if it happened the other way around as well.

It’s also strange how TDCAU got a lot of flack in the US for the jew content but not in Europe where there are also a lot of jews.
America is a strange place. Can’t say bitch on the radio but can buy a gun in a supermarket and kill people and go on with your business.

Earth song went number 1 in the UK for 6 weeks and it went number one in a number of other countries

Stranger in Moscow went number 4 in the UK, and number 1 in Spain, Italy and the Czech Republic.

But the US was another story...
Earth Song was a monster hit in the UK , the biggest of MJ's career! I can't believe it wasn't released as a single in the US.

Blood on the dance floor number 1 in the UK too but nobody remembers it outside of the MJ community.

Stanger In Moscow was released Worldwide in November 1996, but in the USA in July 1997. No idea why that was the case, but that definitely played a big part in SIM flopping hard in the USA.

Earth Song was a monster hit in the UK , the biggest of MJ's career! I can't believe it wasn't released as a single in the US.

Blood on the dance floor number 1 in the UK too but nobody remembers it outside of the MJ community.
To this day I've never heard Earth Song on the radio, and Blood On The Dance Floor only once. Blood was on the Rush It Or Flush It on a local R&B station and more listeners called in to the station to flush it. It never got played again. I remember one of the DJs said he was glad it got flushed because he thought it sounded dated and he wouldn't have to hear it by playing it all the time. I used to see the videos on VH-1 a few times though, the Blood video had the Wyclef remix. The R&B stations played This Time Around as an album track though. Notorious B.I.G. being popular at the time probably had something to do with it. Dallas Austin was one of TLC's producers and they were hot then too

Take a wild guess as to why History was controversial in the United States.
1995 - New York Times: In New Lyrics Jackson uses anti-semetic slurs - Writer: Bernard Weinrub
On June 15, 1995, a day before the release of HIStory, The New York Times (Writer: Bernard Weinrub) reported that "They Don't Care About Us" contained racist and anti-Semitic content. The publication highlighted the lyrics, "Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/ Kick me, kike me, don't you black or white me."[35][36] Jackson responded directly to the publication, stating:
Bernard Weinraub began covering Hollywood for the New York Times in 1991 and Bernie has long been perceived as David Geffen's boy. They became close while Bernie, who did more than his share of beat sweeteners (writing nice things to butter up sources) at the beginning of his Hollywood tenure, researched a 5000-word puff piece for the Times Sunday magazine in May 1993.
Jackson reportedly hates Geffen for being a part of what he calls Hollywood’s “Gay Mafia,” which he believes sank his career.” (This was from a tabloid magazine of all places, despite the rest of the article being a 100% hit piece on Michael Jackson only this particular line was completely scrubbed. Meaning unlike the rest, it was actually true)
You see a familiar name pop up,

America is a strange place. Can’t say bitch on the radio but can buy a gun in a supermarket and kill people and go on with your business.
Yeah, just like how in Europe someone can throw acid in a woman's face and just keep walking, nary a care in the world.

To this day I've never heard Earth Song on the radio,
It’s the most played song from the HIStory album in Belgium, followed by TDCAU. The others don’t get any spins. Though I heard “ childhood” a couple of times on a very small scale regional radio station.
and Blood On The Dance Floor only once. Blood was on the Rush It Or Flush It on a local R&B station and more listeners called in to the station to flush it. It never got played again.
Same in Belgium, radio presenters were underwhelmed. It didn’t break through and after the fans‘ rush on the single it dropped like a stone.

Yeah, just like how in Europe someone can throw acid in a woman's face and just keep walking, nary a care in the world.
Don’t forget what happened yesterday. An illegal guy without papers sprayed 2 people on the streets in Belgium with an automatic weapon when he should have been evicted by the country months ago As he was illegal and known by the police.
Europe is just as big a mess as the US probably

Don’t forget what happened yesterday. An illegal guy without papers sprayed 2 people on the streets in Belgium with an automatic weapon when he should have been evicted by the country months ago As he was illegal and known by the police.
Europe is just as big a mess as the US probably
Tragedies happen everywhere. Bad morals are not an American concept. Meanwhile the average citizen just wants to go about their day everywhere. But that's a whole lotta discussion anyway.

Anyway, going back to the topic,

HIStory's promotional release was pretty mishandled.

Scream was leaked to radio before hand, only making Number 5.

YANA debuted a #1 successfully.

TDCAU had all the controversy, yeah, but coming so late in the game was also bad. TTA was a Promo Single and Earth Song got play only outside US, so by that perspective, HIStory was off the air for a while?

Stranger in Moscow, also horribly delayed.

They Don't Care About Us became a popular anthem in recent years in the US because of incidents happening here. Sort of like Rickroll resurrected Never Gonna Give You Up and gave it a new life.

They Don't Care About Us became a popular anthem in recent years in the US because of incidents happening here. Sort of like Rickroll resurrected Never Gonna Give You Up and gave it a new life.
Yeah, I was gonna say, it got new legs. Tbh, it could end up going Number 1 one day.

Anyway, going back to the topic,

Scream was leaked to radio before hand, only making Number 5.

YANA debuted a #1 successfully.

TDCAU had all the controversy, yeah, but coming so late in the game was also bad. TTA was a Promo Single and Earth Song got play only outside US, so by that perspective, HIStory was off the air for a while?

Stranger in Moscow, also horribly delayed.
Michael's management team was fucking horrible after Dangerous, Invincible coming during the Y2K with cutting edge music videos using the CGI effects would have broken so many records. History would have done a lot better with better timing etc

Maybe because of the 1993 allegation. People's thoughts changed on Michael Jackson when all that happened..

#mjinnocent

Michael's management team was fucking horrible after Dangerous, Invincible coming during the Y2K with cutting edge music videos using the CGI effects would have broken so many records. History would have done a lot better with better timing etc
I'd say they started being bad as early as Dangerous, it just fell by the way side still. Give in To Me was a huge fumble, and Who Is It could've done way better as well. I blame MJ and Oprah for that actually, kinda.

I'd say they started being bad as early as Dangerous, it just fell by the way side still. Give in To Me was a huge fumble, and Who Is It could've done way better as well. I blame MJ and Oprah for that actually, kinda.
I never understood why Give Into Me wasn't performed live, i feel like Happy Birthday Lisa being a official singles release on Dangerous after the Simpson's episode would have done a lot to promote the album too. Dangerous is arguably the best song he's ever made, and wasn't a singles release nor did it get a music video.

I think some of that was Mike's own doing, because some were offended by the statue thing. Even a few years before that, there was the British singer who jumped onstage while Mike was performing on some UK TV program. Some people thought Mike's ego was too big. Just like a lot of people do with Kanye West today. Some people think cancel culture is a new thing with the youngest generation, but it's always been around in some form. It's just that the internet & social media made it more widespread & mainstream.

I never understood why Give Into Me wasn't performed live, i feel like Happy Birthday Lisa being a official singles release on Dangerous after the Simpson's episode would have done a lot to promote the album too. Dangerous is arguably the best song he's ever made, and wasn't a singles release nor did it get a music video.
Because it was fumbled as a single in the US. And he just decided to focus on Who Is It.

Another bonus track would've been kinda complicated, but that episode among his other appearances did drive Dangerous sales.

Dangerous, it was going to be a single. We know what happened though.

Because it was fumbled as a single in the US. And he just decided to focus on Who Is It.

Another bonus track would've been kinda complicated, but that episode among his other appearances did drive Dangerous sales.

Dangerous, it was going to be a single. We know what happened though.
Dangerous came out after Stark Raving Dad by several months, they could have easily got rid of Keep the Faith, and replaced it with Happy Birthday Lisa.

People's thoughts did change after 93, MJ's name has never managed to break free from the scandal.
I think some of that was Mike's own doing, because some were offended by the statue thing. Even a few years before that, there was the British singer who jumped onstage while Mike was performing on some UK TV program. Some people thought Mike's ego was too big. Just like a lot of people do with Kanye West today. Some people think cancel culture is a new thing with the youngest generation, but it's always been around in some form. It's just that the internet & social media made it more widespread & mainstream.
For some people, the "scandals" and allegations never registered in their minds. Plenty of people never turned on MJ or have believed him capable of any such gross misconduct. Admittedly they may say they would let their kids stay with him, but that's another topic, not necessarily relevant. MJ did like the parents being there though.

For some people, they never really "drank the Kool aid" and were looking for an excuse to say they weren't into him and "always knew there was something off about him".

Michael did what Nintendo did with the Wii, attracted the blue ocean audience. He did what most people never do, attract people that wouldn't otherwise be in the mix. Some of those are still his most ardent defenders. Most, however, turned off anyway. Another way OTW & Thriller were just one of a kind.

Back