Why did the HIStory singles die off in the USA?

Dangerous came out after Stark Raving Dad by several months, they could have easily got rid of Keep the Faith, and replaced it with Happy Birthday Lisa.
If you actually are suggesting Happy Birthday Lisa is a better song than Keep The Faith, then I have to vehemently disagree. Would've hated that.

As it is, there was legal complications preventing some of that too?

I think some of that was Mike's own doing, because some were offended by the statue thing. Even a few years before that, there was the British singer who jumped onstage while Mike was performing on some UK TV program. Some people thought Mike's ego was too big. Just like a lot of people do with Kanye West today. Some people think cancel culture is a new thing with the youngest generation, but it's always been around in some form. It's just that the internet & social media made it more widespread & mainstream.
It was the infamous Brit awards 1996 where MJ was performing Earth Song when Jarvis Cocker came on stage.

The ending of the performance was way over the top from MJ tbf

Always remember Noel Gallagher from Oasis saying at the time , he thought MJ was a genius when he was in the Jackson Five but now he's just a fucking freak , that was on the back of the Earth Song performance

Yeah the comments are not so kind to Michael.

I do agree that MJ needed some sort of reality check based on the ending of that performance but it was wrong to go on stage.

The opening of the performance was awesome and very much like MJ the superstar had arrived at the Brits.
What he did worked since Earth Song was the biggest song in the UK on the charts, and a decade later at the WMA's fans spent a whole show booing anyone that came on stage until MJ came out, and then continued to boo everyone when he left. Can't really fault it, his only mistake really was not firing all of those fucking crooks who were lining their pockets with his money and convincing him to do shit like work with Bashir

For any fans wanting to check out more vids about the Cocker incident, most of them are full of comments that slaughter MJ, just so you be warned lol

For any fans wanting to check out more vids about the Cocker incident, most of them are full of comments that slaughter MJ, just so you be warned lol
Those are the same people who call him a freak but celebrate people who take drugs to change their gender as if it's normal, so they aren't actually people who's opinion holds any weight.

In the end both artists got lots of free publicity and Jarvis wasn’t completely wrong imo

What year was this episode? There was a Simpsons album with Deep Deep Trouble & Do The Bartman on it. That record would have been a better place for this song than Dangerous.
“The simpsons sing the blues” came out Dec 1990. Stark raving dad was 1991

“The simpsons sing the blues” came out Dec 1990. Stark raving dad was 1991
Michael should have told his brothers to fuck off when it came to the victory tour, he needed to make more albums to capitalize on how big Thriller was rather wait until 1987. Just overall he didn't release as many singles in the 80s and 90s as he should have.

Jarvis: "Anybody who invents moonwalk is alright by me..."
--
The move wasn't invented by MJ. So, MJ is not alright by him after all?

Watching it back, it was fine. It comes across as a nobody trying to upstage the spotlight
In the context of The Brits - which was hosted by NME, iirc - Jarvis Cocker was very much NOT a nobody. That's why he got so much praise for what he did.

Personally thought the ending was a bit ridiculous, MJ removing his outfit to reveal an all white attire like a Messiah kissing the actors etc
That's pretty much what Jarvis Cocker was objecting to. The context here is that the HIStory statue floating down the Thames wasn't universally loved, a lot of people thought it was crass. So that kind of fed into the whole Brits thing. I didn't watch the show and I don't agree with how Jarvis Cocker made his protest but I can understand the point he was trying to make.

I do agree that MJ needed some sort of reality check based on the ending of that performance
It was never gonna go over well at an event staged by NME.

but it was wrong to go on stage.
It was. I sort of get Jarvis' point but his action was idiotic and self-regarding. If you think Michael is being a pillock, leave him to get on with it. We'll decide for ourselves, thanks. We don't need Jarvis to tell us what to think. He did it bc he was amongst his people, the 'cool' Brit Pop people.

In the end both artists got lots of free publicity and Jarvis wasn’t completely wrong imo
Jarvis got a lot of hate from Michael's fans. He has said in an interview that the media coverage and the constant recognition (and abuse) he got in the street afterwards freaked him out so much he almost wanted to give up his music career. Which I think is highly ironic. He didn't like being that famous. I wonder if it helped him to understand Michael a bit more. He didn't say so in the interview.

They decided not to release (or to under release) a lot of singles in the US and then wondered why his star in the US was dimming. Sure, some of it was everything else and the cirucs that enveloped him. But some of it is just not releasing songs as singles, releasing them late, not releasing them on disc, the list goes on.

While I think Dangerous is a stronger album as a whole I'd argue HIStory had stronger singles and more chart potential. Stranger in Moscow should have been a top 10 song in the US and most of the world. TDCAU should have done better regardless of controversy. But I think when singles are released late theres a conception that the song is an afterthought so it tars the song before the public even hears it. There's an element of hype to marketing and its hardly hyping a song releasing it late and not really doing much with it

Overall.. seems like the later half of Michael's career was full of that. I have no doubt there would have been a handful more number 1s if not for these issues. But the relative success of Scream and YRNA in the US suggests to me, despite everything, if he made a great song, generally the US was still willing to turn up for him, provided there wasn't a litany of other problems with the release.

As for the messiah complex, after the run Michael had I think he earnt the right to play into that somewhat. Off the Wall, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, these were all groundbreaking albums, followed by groundbreaking tours. After the scandal I think he took to this behaviour almost to remind the world who and what he was. I think HIStory landed well with a lot of the anger and socially conscious sentiment but anyone doing a Jesus impression will soon feel someone's wrath. Either way I count HIStory among his finer moments.

Any ideas? Scream broke the highest EVER chart entry position, entering at number 3, then You Are Not Alone became the first EVER straight to number one song, Earthsong had no USA release and They Don't Care About Us and Stranger in Moscow performed poorly despite being 2 of his biggest fan favourites, any reasons?
False. It jumped to 5.

They decided not to release (or to under release) a lot of singles in the US and then wondered why his star in the US was dimming. Sure, some of it was everything else and the cirucs that enveloped him. But some of it is just not releasing songs as singles, releasing them late, not releasing them on disc, the list goes on.

While I think Dangerous is a stronger album as a whole I'd argue HIStory had stronger singles and more chart potential. Stranger in Moscow should have been a top 10 song in the US and most of the world. TDCAU should have done better regardless of controversy. But I think when singles are released late theres a conception that the song is an afterthought so it tars the song before the public even hears it. There's an element of hype to marketing and its hardly hyping a song releasing it late and not really doing much with it

Overall.. seems like the later half of Michael's career was full of that. I have no doubt there would have been a handful more number 1s if not for these issues. But the relative success of Scream and YRNA in the US suggests to me, despite everything, if he made a great song, generally the US was still willing to turn up for him, provided there wasn't a litany of other problems with the release.

As for the messiah complex, after the run Michael had I think he earnt the right to play into that somewhat. Off the Wall, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, these were all groundbreaking albums, followed by groundbreaking tours. After the scandal I think he took to this behaviour almost to remind the world who and what he was. I think HIStory landed well with a lot of the anger and socially conscious sentiment but anyone doing a Jesus impression will soon feel someone's wrath. Either way I count HIStory among his finer moments.
As the song said, Michael Jackson IS UNBREAKABLE

Back