Why didn't Michael perform at Live Aid 1985?

the same for Prince, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteenis, i agree with you, I was very busy with bad sessions or Captain EO, I think it's possibly the only explanation.

MJ didn't start work on Bad until well after Live Aid 85. Wasn't the Jacksons still touring on the Victory tour?

MJ didn't start work on Bad until well after Live Aid 85. Wasn't the Jacksons still touring on the Victory tour?

The Victory Tour ended when Michael announced that was his last to perform together with his brothers. Yeah I agree that Michael was too busy working on Captain EO and wrote many songs for the Bad album. My guess when Live Aid asked him to perform, he sends his regrets to them that he's too busy.

The real reason is said to be that Michael Jackson (who was black) did not like the fact that most artists (who were invited to perform) were white.

So, although he was also invited to perform, he decided to boycott the Live Aid 1985 for racial issues, and as a result he turned down the invitation.

Several other black artists (who were also invited to perform, such as Stevie Wonder, Prince) applauded his move and they also did the same thing (i.e., they boycotted that event by refusing to perform).

The real reason is said to be that Michael Jackson (who was black) did not like the fact that most artists (who were invited to perform) were white.

So, although he was also invited to perform, he decided to boycott the Live Aid 1985 for racial issues, and as a result he turned down the invitation.

Several other black artists (who were also invited to perform, such as Stevie Wonder, Prince) applauded his move and they also did the same thing (i.e., they boycotted that event by refusing to perform).
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard, the only reason MJ didn't perform is because he was busy with other projects as stated by his press agent. It had nothing to do with race. https://www.nytimes.com/1985/07/17/arts/michael-jackson-project-kept-him-from-concert.html

Odd that many of the people on We Are The World were white then and that Mike tended to choose white people to do collabos with (Paul McCartney, Dave Mason, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Stevens, Mick Jagger, Kenny Loggins, members of Toto, etc). Also Prince sent a video to Live Aid (4 The Tears In Your Eyes) which had Wendy & Lisa in it who are white. Some artists did refuse to perform at Sun City (which had nothing to do with Live Aid) and there was even a song about it, which had Little Steven from Bruce Springsteen's band behind it.

Back in the 1980s, artists like Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Prince, Whitney Houston, Billy Ocean, Tina Turner, etc were accused said by some of the Black media of selling out and watering down their music to get the larger white sales and abandoning their original black audience. Like Prince would go on Solid Gold & American Bandstand, but not Soul Train (or Video Soul on BET). Yet his protege band The Time did perform on Soul Train and did interviews on BET.

Interesting. Didn't know that.
Prince did eventually go on Soul Train sometime in the 1990s, but he never did before that. But ironically, when he performed on Soul Train he had an almost all Black male band (New Power Generation), instead of the mixed race/gender band of his most popular period (The Revolution). But starting in the 1990s, the show was more "Rap Train" than "Soul Train". 😂 Don Cornelius stopped hosting the show around the mid-1990s

Well i don’t know but i think that ’cause live aid was such a huge charity thing that michael would not skip for any reason. So i think it was because of bad. And i read somewhere something like ”he was busy with new projects” so probably bad?

Well i don’t know but i think that ’cause live aid was such a huge charity thing that michael would not skip for any reason. So i think it was because of bad. And i read somewhere something like ”he was busy with new projects” so probably bad?
I wonder what's the real story behind this!

Maybe he just didn't get invited? I don't think there has to be a detailed reason that explains this. He just didn't.

Anyway, was this the only live performance of the song?

"Said to be ..."

Really? By whom? When? Where? In what context?
ridiculous how Frenzy's never replied to this,by far..
he's just a big troll but,i have to admit,he's not as worse as Richie & The Gang (they shall start a band though,what do you think? An Invincible era tribute band or something,even better 😍😍..like that would be such a surprise to a whole lot of people and the concept would be welcomed in warm spirits,aren't I right? 🥰)..
anyway,sorry..back to the discussion..

"Said to be ..."

Really? By whom? When? Where? In what context?
ridiculous how Frenzy's never replied to this
One source for that is the American female musician Joan Baez (she wrote about that in her autobiography).
Odd that many of the people on We Are The World were white then and that Mike tended to choose white people to do collabos with (Paul McCartney, Dave Mason, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Stevens, Mick Jagger, Kenny Loggins, members of Toto, etc). Also Prince sent a video to Live Aid (4 The Tears In Your Eyes) which had Wendy & Lisa in it who are white. Some artists did refuse to perform at Sun City (which had nothing to do with Live Aid) and there was even a song about it, which had Little Steven from Bruce Springsteen's band behind it.

Back in the 1980s, artists like Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Prince, Whitney Houston, Billy Ocean, Tina Turner, etc were accused said by some of the Black media of selling out and watering down their music to get the larger white sales and abandoning their original black audience. Like Prince would go on Solid Gold & American Bandstand, but not Soul Train (or Video Soul on BET). Yet his protege band The Time did perform on Soul Train and did interviews on BET.
Note that all of his main producers throughout his career were black (Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Rodney Jerkins, R. Kelly, and so on).

One source for that is the American female musician Joan Baez (she wrote about that in her autobiography).

Note that all of his main producers throughout his career were black (Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Rodney Jerkins, R. Kelly, and so on).
David Foster, Bill Bottrell, Paul McCartney, Dave Mason, RedOne, Max Martin.

All I can say is missed opportunity:

It could have prolonged his Thriller album sales, maybe an extra single (the lady in my life) it would mean another live performance at MJ’s undisputed peak.
I think most bands did about 5 songs, this would be my choice

1) Beat it
2) Wanna Be Startin Something
3) The Lady In My Life (and then a single release)
4) Billie Jean
5) Thriller (first ever live performance)

1985...Michael jackson...the biggest star not at live aid. I wasn't born until 91 but I'm sure as I've seen...live aid was huge at the time. Back in the day I could've sworn he performed at live aid but only to find out that was the budweiser fest years later & he was on fire that night. Like I said...I've never heard no one speak on it from his camp as to why he didn't but I guess he made up selling out 5 shows at Wembley where live aid was held. I'm sure it was more attendees to his show than live aid.

It could have prolonged his Thriller album sales,
60ac599ea9cbf885378c6dcd7de268d584023382.gif

Like selling some more copies of Thriller is more important than the reason Live Aid existed in the first place.

That has nothing to do with my comment. People didn't buy The Girl Is Mine because Quincy produced it or Say Say Say because George Martin produced it. It was because they were duets with Paul McCartney. Somebody's Watching Me didn't become a big hit because Curtis Anthony Nolen produced it either, it was because Michael Jackson sang on it. The general public did not pay much attention to who produces a record. If they only listened to songs on the radio, they likely didn't know or cared who produced it anyway. But they can hear who is singing/rapping on it.

A lot of songs on the radio in current years have a featured artist, usually a rapper. A listener might know who produce some songs now because the producers say their names or slogans on the songs and/or appear in the music videos. Such as Puff Daddy, DJ Khaled, Pharrell/N.E.R.D., Refugee Camp, Darkchild, Timbaland, So So Def, etc. Quincy Jones or David Foster didn't say "We Da Best Music!" on every track, lol. George Martin wasn't in The Beatles music videos dancing in a shiny suit. The average person in the 1960s probably didn't even know what Phil Spector looked like.

60ac599ea9cbf885378c6dcd7de268d584023382.gif

Like selling some more copies of Thriller is more important than the reason Live Aid existed in the first place.
You can be incredibly annoying but I’ve got good news for you, there are half a dozen others here who are even worse

Back