why do ppl say INVINCIBLE was a low point in micheal's career??

I love Invincible! I've been listening to it the last two weeks and I'm in love with the album.
It's such a new sound of Michael, most of the songs such as Break Of Dawn, Butterflies, You Are My Life, 2000 Watts, Threatend, Unbreakable, Cry, The Lost Children, Speechless, Heaven Can Wait, You Rock My World are all brilliant songs and far ahead of their time at that point.
I think it's a brilliant album and absolutely not a low point in Michael's career!

I also think the tracklisting was poorly thought-out. How did songs like Xscape and the excellent We've Had Enough not make it past the cutting room floor when you have dirge like Privacy and Cry on the album???

Someone was making their space cakes the day they made that decision....

I agree that track listing can be an issue, although I really like/liked Cry and privacy when I heard them. I dont always like how Michael has similar sounding songs grouped like the first 3. The same with Dangerous. It takes me years to appreciate the songs individually when theyre placed together in the track listing cos, INITIALLY, I usually hear one I like and think of the others as "song that sounds like the one I like but isn't quite as good" until I go back after and really listen attentively.

I dont always like how Michael has similar sounding songs grouped like the first 3. The same with Dangerous. It takes me years to appreciate the songs individually when theyre placed together in the track listing cos, INITIALLY, I usually hear one I like and think of the others as "song that sounds like the one I like but isn't quite as good" until I go back after and really listen attentively.

I've heard a lot of fans complain about that. I think it's MJ's way of trying to establish his new sound on a record. Although with a song like Invincible, it sounds very much as if they're merely trying to re-write Unbreakable.

Even though the album doesn't contain many favourites of mine, there is definately a lot to appreciate and admire on Invincible and I have grown to respect it for what it is over the years.

Although there are a handful of tracks I have always loathed and still do to this day. Namely Cry, Privacy and Don't Walk Away. The title track is very throw-away as well.

because the album is so ahead of its time that people didnt understand it. YET

Well said. I feel the same about the album, it reminds me of the works of classical composers later in their life (like Beethoven for example) which were not understood well at the time, and now their later works sound so modern.

He had a couple good tracks , Heaven Can wait , break of dawn , butterflies, whatever happens were decent I did like you rock my world as well.I think maybe if he did the whole album by himself instead of working with other producers alot of people may have enjoyed it more .

You Rock My World was one of MJ's BEST songs ever in my opinion.

The ONLY problem with Invincible was that some of the songs were just too long to really be catchy...I mean Unbreakable was good, but 6 minutes? Come on now. 4 1/2 minutes would have been ideal for most of the longer songs to get more radio play. I personally love the album, but honestly wish I could trim a minute or two off some of the longer songs.

Back