Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
No one is trying to rewrite history about that.

Michael Jackson knew that he did not manage to achieve success in the film industry with his first steps into films (‘The Wiz’, for example, that came out in 1978, was a big commercial flop).

When Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film came out and met with huge commercial success in 1984, Michael Jackson felt jealousy towards Prince, and he wanted to create something similar with a similar huge commercial success (note here that Michael Jackson had already attended also a screening of the ‘Purple Rain’ film held by Warner Bros. for a special, small audience, before its public release, which also shows his competitive attitude towards Prince).

When the ‘Purple Rain’ film came out, Michael Jackson became at the time so obsessed with Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that he started to read avidly all the press/news articles about that film and even to collect those articles for himself (there are also available photos that confirm that).

‘Moonwalker’ (1988) was a musical film based on a studio album (‘BAD’) just like the ‘Purple Rain’ film (1984) which was based on the ‘Purple Rain’ album.

It is not also a coincidence that he bought and created Neverland Ranch just one or two years after Prince created his Paisley Park.

Michael Jackson did these things also because he wanted people to compare him with Prince because that would help him to stay relevant (it was then when he along with Frank Dileo started to plant also stories on press about a rivalry between these two artists).

Also, Michael Jackson along with AEG Live both knew since March (2009) that he was about to perform at least 25 ‘This Is It’ shows, and part of the reason for that number was to outdo Prince’s 21 shows at that venue two years earlier.

Michael Jackson in his final period was still feeling so competitive towards Prince that he desperately wanted his ‘This Is It’ shows to be better than Prince’s shows:

…But Kenny, God channels this through me at night. I can’t sleep because I’m so super-charged… if I’m not there to receive these [creative] ideas, God might give them to Prince…’” (Michael Jackson, 2009)

Michael Jackson was a highly insecure and competitive artist.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:

Michael Jackson knew that he did not manage to achieve success in the film industry with his first steps into films (‘The Wiz’, for example, that came out in 1978, was a big commercial flop)
Michael was supposed to play peter pan in steven spielbergs movie, that later became hook, in 1982 and were it not for the victory tour MJ would have further pursued his film ambitions and he said so himself. I don't udnerstand what you are trying to say with this.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
When Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film came out and met with huge commercial success in 1984, Michael Jackson felt jealousy towards Prince, and he wanted to create something similar with a similar huge commercial success (note here that Michael Jackson had already attended also a screening of the ‘Purple Rain’ film held by Warner Bros. for a special, small audience, before its public release, which also shows his competitive attitude towards Prince).
Yo can you F**** stop it already? What are you talking about, what jealousy? how could you possible know that? I demand an answer for this, how do you know Michael felt jealousy towards prince? Answer me this. What you are doing now is creating fake rumors just like the tabloids.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
When the ‘Purple Rain’ film came out, Michael Jackson became at the time so obsessed with Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that he started to read avidly all the press/news articles about that film and even to collect those articles for himself (there are also available photos that confirm that).

Here you are again spreading fake rumors. You took a picture of MJ reading a regular magazine, that happened to have an article about purple rain, and surmised that he was obsessed and starting to collect them. Haha I can't with you, this is some next level conspiracy stuff. That picture does not confirm in any way anything that you just said.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
It is not also a coincidence that he bought and created Neverland Ranch just one or two years after Prince created his Paisley Park.
Again MJ was already living in a mini neverland in havyenhurst and was prospecting sycomore valley ranch years before prince even bought Paisley Park, so now you're just ignoring facts.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
Michael Jackson did these things also because he wanted people to compare him with Prince because that would help him to stay relevant (it was then when he along with Frank Dileo started to plant also stories on press about a rivalry between these two artists).
Yet again you conflate your own made up beliefs in your mind with reality. You make these baseless claims on absolutely nothing and try to pass them as facts.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:
‘Moonwalker’ (1988) was a musical film based on a studio album (‘BAD’) just like the ‘Purple Rain’ film (1984) which was based on the ‘Purple Rain’ album.
BAD was an extension of what MJ had been doing way before prince did Purple Rain with his short films. MJ loved musical movies, his art reflects that and it's only natural he would want to integrate that with his music in a big way. Prince beat him to the punch that I can admit.

mj_frenzy;4287814 said:

Michael Jackson knew that he did not manage to achieve success in the film industry with his first steps into films (‘The Wiz’, for example, that came out in 1978, was a big commercial flop).

Also, Michael Jackson along with AEG Live both knew since March (2009) that he was about to perform at least 25 ‘This Is It’ shows, and part of the reason for that number was to outdo Prince’s 21 shows at that venue two years earlier.

Michael Jackson in his final period was still feeling so competitive towards Prince that he desperately wanted his ‘This Is It’ shows to be better than Prince’s shows:

“…But Kenny, God channels this through me at night. I can’t sleep because I’m so super-charged… if I’m not there to receive these [creative] ideas, God might give them to Prince…’” (Michael Jackson, 2009)

Michael Jackson was a highly insecure and competitive artist.

Where you getting your information from?

Last edited:
somewhereinthedark;4287528 said:
1. Michael didn’t create Moonwalker to compete with Purple Rain. Moonwalker was a promotional piece for the album, Bad. Had nothing to do with Purple Rain. Michael poked a little good natured fun at Prince in the film only because Prince had said some devious things about him in the past.
2. I KNOW Michael had no idea he would sell out as many O2 arenas as he did. He had not toured in years, he was not promoting a new album, he had been inundated with negative press. The difference is Prince was promoting new album, giving away free albums with each purchased ticket, and no negative press.Even the promoters had no idea Michael would sell out even 10 shows. It was his sheer star power and the respect and love for Michael that caused him to sell out 50 shows in ONE CITY with no album or promotion. This is unheard of and no one else in history had ever done it before or since. It had nothing to do with outdoing Prince. The only people I have ever heard say that was the promoters after Michael’s murder. This RUMOR is being spread as if it were fact and Prince fans use it as another tool in their fanatical jealousy and hate of Michael.
2. The comparisons were 99.9% fueled by the media. It was the media who compared Michael with every artist, even his own sister, just to tear him down.
3. I agree that it doesn’t make sense to compare artists with each other, male or female. I think that it is childish and ignorant.

Hallelujah! ALL. OF. THIS.

WAHEpE8.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Facts &#55357;&#56401; <a href="https://t.co/F7kbo4aY8B">pic.twitter.com/F7kbo4aY8B</a></p>&mdash; hxynx (@shyyybb1) <a href="https://twitter.com/shyyybb1/status/1264106816532885506?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stop comparing other artists to Michael Jackson <br>Stop comparing other artists to Michael Jackson <br>Stop comparing other artists to Michael Jackson <br>Stop comparing other artists to Michael Jackson <br>Stop comparing other artists to MICHAEL JACKSON &#55357;&#56898;</p>&mdash; &#55349;&#56382;&#55349;&#56402;&#55349;&#56411;&#55349;&#56422;&#55349;&#56398;&#10024; (@heavencanw829) <a href="https://twitter.com/heavencanw829/status/1287064373307928576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There&#8217;s something so special and unique about Michael Jackson that completely separates him from every other artist. There&#8217;s a level of authenticity that he brought to the table that no one had seen before. And we truly haven&#8217;t seen anything like it since. No one is seeing him.</p>&mdash; Jaren (@jarenisjaren) <a href="https://twitter.com/jarenisjaren/status/1293209975196717056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Obviously we have a lot of great artists nowadays but still in my opinion michael is the greast off all time and not comparable with other artists.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#8217;s crazy how the world Wanna quickly &#8220;find&#8221; another Michael Jackson</p>&mdash; Jam (@shaythought) <a href="https://twitter.com/shaythought/status/1294731808375017477?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anyone who says &quot;so and so is the next Michael Jackson&quot; clearly didn&#39;t know how to do their times tables during MJ&#39;s peak.<br><br>No artist has come close to MJ&#39;s cultural and commercial impact, which spanned three decades, by the way. Sorry for your fave.</p>&mdash; Edward Bowser (@etbowser) <a href="https://twitter.com/etbowser/status/1294703676964184064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I feel as MJ fans we should let other artists shine even though they probably won't get to michael level. records will break someday and Michael is gone also times has changed since he left this earth.

he will always be legend.

Last edited:
I don't like or understand the constant comparisons either. not only do they slight Michael, but also other artists who have their own legacies. there's room for everybody, and it's okay to like more than one. it doesn't have to be one or the other. it should be about enjoyment rather worshipping to maintain an upperhand. unfortunately, that's the essence of 'stan culture' and the reason I don't subscribe to it..

To be honest i hate the word stan. that's why i don't even use the word. if you look the word up it's awful and i think some people need to go and get some help. Michael will always be legend. but i'll be an idiot to worship someone i don't even know only by videos etc. he also a human being for that matter. the only thing great about michael that he was very gifted that's all. he went to the bathroom and had feelings just like the rest of us. he had/still does alot of fans who care about him and love him but guess what he was still lonely.

Eminem

To be honest i hate the word stan. that's why i don't even use the word. if you look the word up it's awful
Why would you need to look it up? The Eminem song was heavily played on the radio. The long version of the music video on Youtube currently has 322,350,050 views and the short version has 86,657,739 views. And those are only the ones on Eminem's official VEVO channel, and not the song posted by other people.

The word "fan" is short for "fanatic". People don't seem to have a problem with fan, which basically means the same thing as stan. Fan has been around a lot longer than Eminem's song. Same with diva. Diva wasn't meant to be a compliment like people consider it today.

Re: Eminem

Why would you need to look it up? The Eminem song was heavily played on the radio. The long version of the music video on Youtube currently has 322,350,050 views and the short version has 86,657,739 views. And those are only the ones on Eminem's official VEVO channel, and not the song posted by other people.

The word "fan" is short for "fanatic". People don't seem to have a problem with fan, which basically means the same thing as stan. Fan has been around a lot longer than Eminem's song. Same with diva. Diva wasn't meant to be a compliment like people consider it today.

Because i'm an outsider and not into Eminem like that.

Back