Why the lip-synching?

Oddly enough, this video is believed to be from the last Wembley show on the tour (Aug 23, 1992).
MJbr2, I am losing my mind. Perhaps you can help. If you have the time, no probs if not.

This Wembley version vs. Bremen. OK, Michael is miming to the record. Fine. Not here to argue about that. But, on the Wembley version the band sounds WAY louder than they do on Bremen. Am I imagining that? Am I going mad?

Sounds like they are playing live. Are they? I haven't done a direct comparison. Haven't listened to Bremen for months even though I love it so much. But I don't wanna go and listen to it now. I am completely devoted to Wembley. I don't wanna break the spell (sorry - sounding bonkers! - not sorry!).

The band sounds HARD, man! They blew me away.

Thoughts?

P.S. Very much appreciating your 'cleaner' version of the vid. Looks lovely.

Look at Man In The Mirror at the 1988 Grammy's. A great performance but when the live vocals come in it takes it to a whole other level.
That's pretty much it. But TWYMMF is still transfixing just because of his dancing. I don't go many other places to see him perform that live.

MJbr2, I am losing my mind. Perhaps you can help. If you have the time, no probs if not.

This Wembley version vs. Bremen. OK, Michael is miming to the record. Fine. Not here to argue about that. But, on the Wembley version the band sounds WAY louder than they do on Bremen. Am I imagining that? Am I going mad?

Sounds like they are playing live. Are they? I haven't done a direct comparison. Haven't listened to Bremen for months even though I love it so much. But I don't wanna go and listen to it now. I am completely devoted to Wembley. I don't wanna break the spell (sorry - sounding bonkers! - not sorry!).

The band sounds HARD, man! They blew me away.

Thoughts?
They have always played live, but certain elements aren't buried in the mix as usual. That's all.

P.S. Very much appreciating your 'cleaner' version of the vid. Looks lovely.
Thanks, man. I still think it looks crap lol

They have always played live, but certain elements aren't buried in the mix as usual. That's all.
Did wonder if it was just the mix. Does sound massively different to me. It's unusual for the difference to be that noticeable.

Thanks, man. I still think it looks crap lol
Strictly speaking, yes, it does. BUT it looks so much better than the first one I found. Truly, I think you've cleaned it up so well it really does look lovely to me. I watched the first one just once. I watched your version 4 times back-to-back. That's the difference.

According to many fans, the Monza concert is the best concert from the Dangerous Tour.

Also, do not underestimate his concerts from the 1993 leg of the tour.

For example, the Buenos Aires concert (that already leaked) has been described as one of the best concerts from the entire tour.

It has been also said that during the 1993 leg of the tour due to the fact that he was angry (because of the accusations against him) that led to more energetic and more powerful performances of his up-tempo songs.

It's true
Fukuoka 1993 is superior.
He's not only dancing more(during Jam) in Fukuoka 93,but also every move is executed with either outstanding energy or precision.
Wembley has energy not gonna lie,but it lacks the amount of dancing that you would find in nearly any other show.(Bremen 1992 for example)

I don't think 'Jam' would have flowed on the HIStory tour setlist, and it wasn't even on the HIStory album.

I seriously don't get anyone getting upset over Mj lip syncing. Just look at him during the Dangerous London show that was posted, he is mesmerizing to watch!
It makes me pity those who complain so much, seriously. That Wembley clip has me in absolute awe every time. It’s just magical.

In my opinion, as Michael aged, his voice was not suited to sing the songs live in the same manner that he did when in studio. Even during the Victory and Bad era, while I appreciated the live vocals, there was quite a difference in his voice and he nearly always sounded winded.
Now there are some exceptions to this.

When it comes to the History Tour, it really was a modern show. The focus on the tour was clearly the visuals with Michael at the center. I truly believe it was his best set of concerts. I do agree the the amount of playback used was over the top, but when I think about it, the only songs that I thought truly should have been sang live were SIM, YANA,HTW and maybe a portion of Earth Song.

Yet whenever I watch Michael, the History Tour is usually where I go. Despite the playback, he was performing like someone who the refined expert he was in his craft.

In my opinion, as Michael aged, his voice was not suited to sing the songs live in the same manner that he did when in studio. Even during the Victory and Bad era, while I appreciated the live vocals, there was quite a difference in his voice and he nearly always sounded winded.
Now there are some exceptions to this.

When it comes to the History Tour, it really was a modern show. The focus on the tour was clearly the visuals with Michael at the center. I truly believe it was his best set of concerts. I do agree the the amount of playback used was over the top, but when I think about it, the only songs that I thought truly should have been sang live were SIM, YANA,HTW and maybe a portion of Earth Song.

Yet whenever I watch Michael, the History Tour is usually where I go. Despite the playback, he was performing like someone who the refined expert he was in his craft.
Spot on!

When you realize this was the only thing MJ ever re-recorded...
I absolutely LOVE :love: :love::love: this performance! It called me back on the thread. The stripping on stage (ok he just removed the jacket and top shirt, but a girl can dream ;) ), to that little speech before Dangerous, the fast medley in the beginning! Love every minute of it. The thought about live singing never came in my head, 100% of my brain being occupied in watching the electrifying performance on stage!
The only on topic thing I would add is, maybe, just maybe if he rerecorded some of the vocals in his current voice during the tours. But if Michael believed it was not necessary or not better then so be it. Perfectionist like Michael don't do lazy, everything is well thought out.

Michael Jackson should have used that 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' walk intro (from that MTV Music Awards 1995 performance) for the 'Off The Wall' medley in the HIStory Tour.

Besides, the correct order (of the 'Off The Wall' medley of that tour) should have been:

First 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough', then 'Off The Wall', and last 'Rock With You' (because that order makes much more sense thematically).

Performing the songs from Off The Wall (in an 'Off The Wall' Medley) in that specific order would have been cowardly of Michael Jackson, and would have guaranteed his arrest for Tax Evasion.

Oh. That tracks too. He might have even done it live up until the Ooh. He had a big headset on.
Certainly not live. That headset was a prop. When he takes it off before Black or White, you can see that there is no wire attached to it. Additionally, the vocal is way too clear for it to have been live. I do think he re-recorded it, since the phrasing is a bit different to the original, but I’m not 100% sure.

Certainly not live. That headset was a prop. When he takes it off before Black or White, you can see that there is no wire attached to it. Additionally, the vocal is way too clear for it to have been live. I do think he re-recorded it, since the phrasing is a bit different to the original, but I’m not 100% sure.
He sounds much older and his tone is different. I would call it a re-recording, especially since it's all lip-synced.

The pitch shifting also wouldn't really happen until Beat It live in 2001. Unless you count what was done to the Bad album.

Personally, lip-syncing usually never bothered me, because it's still his voice? It's not AI and it's not somebody else's voice. He couldn't sing and dance forever, blame it on the boogie lungs. But it does sound good. It did become more egregious over time admittedly. Works better when it's synchronized. Could've rerecorded some.

The King of Bump ^^^^

Lip syncing in small doses never bothered me, there's a good balance on the Dangerous Tour.

History though literally took the piss with the amount of lip syncing he did.

The OTW medley was the final straw for me. Seeing rock with you, off the wall mimed was a total disgrace. The same man performed these tracks so brilliantly live only a decade earlier.

The energetic 21 year old performing don't stop is a still a highlight for me from the Triumph tour. Full of spontaneous dancing and completely LIVE!

Back