Why was "Shout" replaced on Invincible?

Spaceship

Proud Member
It was originally going to be on the album, but it was replaced by "You Are My Life" at the last minute. I read in an interview with one of the people who wrote the song that Mottola may have forced MJ to remove the song, but I find that unlikely when MJ convinced him to keep "The Lost Children" on the album. If MJ could convince Mottola to keep that song, then I'm pretty sure he could have convinced him to put any song on the album. I think it's more likely that MJ himself chose to replace "Shout" with "You Are My Life" because that song was for his kids and he got a co-writer credit for changing the title from "You Are My World".

Because it’s not album level.

It was a good b-side but not a good album track - plus invincible was too ballad heavy for something like shout to sit on the tracklist.

It was originally going to be on the album, but it was replaced by "You Are My Life" at the last minute. I read in an interview with one of the people who wrote the song that Mottola may have forced MJ to remove the song, but I find that unlikely when MJ convinced him to keep "The Lost Children" on the album. If MJ could convince Mottola to keep that song, then I'm pretty sure he could have convinced him to put any song on the album. I think it's more likely that MJ himself chose to replace "Shout" with "You Are My Life" because that song was for his kids and he got a co-writer credit for changing the title from "You Are My World".
It's pretty obvious - Shout is like a second 2000 Watts: these songs have the same vibe, and it would be strange to have both of them on album) Also You Are My Life is definitely better than Shout

As an awareness song Shout has an important message and it sounds experimental and fresh even to this day with its rap and rock influences. The vocals could be a bit louder and clearer, but the main problem is, that it is not mainstream enough. I guess Michael really liked Shout. It's like a successor to TDCAU in content and style.

Because it’s not album level.

It was a good b-side but not a good album track - plus invincible was too ballad heavy for something like shout to sit on the tracklist.
Same goes for 2000 Watts.

As an awareness song Shout has an important message and it sounds experimental and fresh even to this day with its rap and rock influences. The vocals could be a bit louder and clearer, but the main problem is, that it is not mainstream enough. I guess Michael really liked Shout. It's like a successor to TDCAU in content and style.

"Privacy" and "The Lost Children" don't sound mainstream, either.

It's pretty obvious - Shout is like a second 2000 Watts: these songs have the same vibe, and it would be strange to have both of them on album) Also You Are My Life is definitely better than Shout
better 2000 Watts and Shout than the 1000 samey sounding ballads, that made the album

Privacy is classic Michael, again about the press.
And it's much worse than any of his other songs about the press.

It sounds too aggressive and coarse to work on the radio, anyway.
TLC is a ballad, that has a structure like many others.
It still doesn't sound mainstream. A song like that would never work on the radio. Too Disney-like and corny.
But Michael rapping fast on Shout, this is different.
Plenty of hit singles have fast rapping. "Shout" isn't much different from MJ's other music, either; it's basically the same type of song as "Why You Wanna Trip on Me".

Not that "Shout" sounds mainstream, though. A song calling out society on its problems with a heavy hip-hop, rock-ish beat wouldn't really work on the radio. But not every track on the album needs to be a single.

A song calling out society on its problems with a heavy hip-hop, rock-ish beat wouldn't really work on the radio. But not every track on the album needs to be a single.
Shout was replaced with one of the most mainstream sounding songs on the album. That's for sure.

Shout was replaced with one of the most mainstream sounding songs on the album. That's for sure.

"You Are My Life" didn't sound very mainstream, nah. It's the kind of song that you would sing to your kids as a lullaby, not something you would expect to hear on the radio. Babyface was irrelevant in 2001, too.

better 2000 Watts and Shout than the 1000 samey sounding ballads, that made the album
I like Shout, I really do. But this song is too much like 2000 watts. You Are My Life is at least has something new. Well, i AGREE, that Shout has unique MJ's rap! That's true. But vibe of this song.... It's like a sequel to 2000 watts... Sorry :0

You Are My Life is at least has something new.
What do you mean exactly with "new"?

-----
Instead of using Shout they put You Are My Life in it
I want to shout
Throw my hands up and shout
What's this madness all about?

Last edited:
Reactions: ssj
"Shout" is hard hitting and might've thrown off the pacing of the album.
I wouldn't agree with that. It fits perfectly in Invincible album. The point is it's redundant. We already have 2000 Watts on album. If you look at Invincible album, you can clearly see, that every song plays it's own part! Every song has it's unique vibe and meaning. Shout looks a little bit redundant

I wouldn't agree with that. It fits perfectly in Invincible album. The point is it's redundant. We already have 2000 Watts on album. If you look at Invincible album, you can clearly see, that every song plays it's own part! Every song has it's unique vibe and meaning. Shout looks a little bit redundant
What's the difference between You Are My Life and Speechless?
What's the difference between Threatened and Privacy?

What do you mean exactly with "new"?
0:55 - verse of this song is something, that MJ have never done before. It's pretty unique. 3:13 - till the end- is the best part of this song, i feel pure bliss, when i listen to this part.....That's the main reason, why i like this song

With Heartbreaker and Invincible there are two similar sounding songs that share the same subject of an independent woman.
With love ballads like YAML and Speechless on one album and media-songs like Threatened and Privacy, there is space for 2000 Watts and Shout. Especially because these two don't share the same subject like Heartbreaker/Invincible, YAML/Speechless, Threatened/Privacy.

With Heartbreaker and Invincible there are two similar sounding songs that share the same subject of an independent woman.
With love ballads like YAML and Speechless on one album and media-songs like Threatened and Privacy, there is space for 2000 Watts and Shout. Especially because theses two don't share the same subject like Heartbreaker/Invincible, YAML/Speechless, Threatened/Privacy.
Heartbreaker and Invincible are 2 different songs lol! First one has dubstep fast style, while second has crazier music sample. Yes, both songs about girls, but they sound different.
2000 Watts and Shout are too similiar. I mean, it's like if MJ would agree to add both Unbreakable and GYWOOM songs - they are too similiar too

Back