Why was "Shout" replaced on Invincible?

In which ways exactly?
In the way of vibe. I can't explain it to you, just listen by yourself. When you listen to Shout, you always notice, that you already heard something similiar. The point is that YAML is better choice. If they agreed to keep Shout, album would be a little bit more boring, with YAML we have more various track-list

In my opinion Shout is the most interesting song from these sessions. This is rock-rap. Never heard something like that in 2001.
it's interesting. i agree, but not when we already have 2000 Watts! Then Michael shall choose between these 2 songs.... And add Shout instead of 2000 Watts

it's interesting. i agree, but not when we already have 2000 Watts! Then Michael shall choose between these 2 songs.... And add Shout instead of 2000 Watts
2000 Watts is not rock, it is not rap, it is not about social issues.
Shout is rock-rap about social issues.
They're different. Let's take both.

2000 Watts is not rock, it is not rap, it is not about social issues.
Shout is rock-rap about social issues.
They're different. Let's take both.
They are similar in the way of vibe. They are bond. Shout is like a B-side for 2000 Watts

Michael removed Shout, 'cause he understood too, that songs are too similar
Sony removed it.
Also you said that Heartbreaker and Invincible are the same songs, which is totally not true)
I wrote similar, not same:
Heartbreaker and Invincible are two similar sounding songs that share the same subject of an independent woman.
They also have the same rapper.

I think it's more likely that MJ himself chose to replace "Shout" with "You Are My Life" because that song was for his kids and he got a co-writer credit for changing the title from "You Are My World".
Michael also co-wrote Shout.

Sony removed it.

I wrote similar, not same:
Heartbreaker and Invincible are two similar sounding songs that share the same subject of an independent woman.
They also have the same rapper.
Sony removed it? What? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Hell, no.
Heartbreaker and Invincible don't sound similar. 2 different songs about woman. From you logic, Is it scary and Ghosts are 2 similar songs, because of it's topic and literally similar lyrics... That's not how it works:/

Sony removed it? What? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Hell, no.
I didn't know Michaels manager McClain is the co-writer of YAML. Interesting. Managers need to get payed, I guess.
ā€œShoutā€ was slated to be on the album, but was replaced at the last minute by a track Jacksonsā€™s manager, John McClain, brought brought to the table called ā€œYou Are My Lifeā€ ā€“ co-written by McClain with Kenneth ā€˜Babyfaceā€™ Edmonds and Carole Bayer Sager.

Last edited:
I was able to speak some time ago with the author of the song.
And he's still proud of his song but he told me that unfortunately there was bad timing, too much fighting and politics between Mike and Tommy Motola and publishing rights between them and one of the co-producers, Roy Hamilton.

Because itā€™s not album level.

It was a good b-side but not a good album track - plus invincible was too ballad heavy for something like shout to sit on the tracklist.
That is not true because half of the album's songs are not ballads.

And 'Shout' was not excluded because of the ballads, given that similar to 'Shout' songs (like 'Unbreakable', '2000 Watts', 'Privacy', 'Threatened', etc) sit well on the track list of the album.
As an awareness song Shout has an important message and it sounds experimental and fresh even to this day with its rap and rock influences. The vocals could be a bit louder and clearer, but the main problem is, that it is not mainstream enough. I guess Michael really liked Shout. It's like a successor to TDCAU in content and style.
'Shout' sounds more like a successor to the 'Tabloid Junkie' song.

In both of these rock songs Michael Jackson raps, the verses are slightly sped-up, and basically the only difference is that 'Shout' has a broader social meaning.

One can even say that 'Shout' would have fitted the album, especially as an opening track (considering the first line of that track).

In any case, in an earlier version of the album, '2000 Watts' was the 9th track, 'Shout' was the 10th track, and 'Don't Walk Away' was the 11th track.

In any case, in an earlier version of the album, '2000 Watts' was the 9th track, 'Shout' was the 10th track, and 'Don't Walk Away' was the 11th track.
As I mentioned earlier, Shout makes sense after 2000 Watts, because it's like the next level in terms of tempo and meaning.

Probably because it's a worse song than the other stuff, it's a pretty cool b-side, though.

As a single YAML would've been more successful than Shout.
But Shout would've given the album more character.

Nah fam "Privacy" is definitely the worst track on any of MJ's albums lol
I love that guitar licker at the end. Kinda reminds me of destiny but me personally...I hate shout. I have no idea what he is saying until he gets to "but we will never see the door, how can we preach when all we make this world to be...."

I love that guitar licker at the end. Kinda reminds me of destiny but me personally...I hate shout. I have no idea what he is saying until he gets to "but we will never see the door, how can we preach when all we make this world to be...."
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚same thing. But i like this song) even if I don't understand what MJ is talking about šŸ˜‚

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚same thing. But i like this song) even if I don't understand what MJ is talking about šŸ˜‚
You do not understand what he is saying,as in the words that he is singing/rapping or what he is talking about,as in the overall message of the track?Just making sure.

Whatever the reason im happy that it was released as a b-side,wish more unreleased songs would be out this way.
Man I was happy in 1992 when we got Come Together as a b-sideā€¦I rushed to the record store once I found out :)

I didn't know Michaels manager McClain is the co-writer of YAML. Interesting. Managers need to get payed, I guess.

Btw, I wonder, how MJ REALLY treated 2000 Watts song. I mean, it's obvious, that this song is the weakest on Invincible albym, but some sources claim, that Michael wanted 2000 Watts as a single... and that doesn't make any sense.... 'cause even Heartbreaker and Invincible are much better than this song :/

Back