Why was "Shout" replaced on Invincible?

Imagine a typographic video, like a sped up, in ya face version of 'Sign O' The Times'; the lyrics would be mass culture!

Because it's not as good as some fans make it out to be. Give me a gorgeous ballad like You Are My Life over some hard hitting nonsense like Shout any day of the week.

Aw yeah, another Invincible thread! It's been so long since we talked about this
Ignorance of people purchasing diamonds and necklaces
And barely able to keep the payments up on their lessons
And enrolled in a class and don't know who the professor is
How low people go for the dough and make a mess of things?
Kids are murdering other kids for the fun of it
Instead of using their mind or their fist, they put a gun in it
Wanna be a part of a clique, don't know who's runnin' it
Tragedy on top of tragedy you know it's killin' me

So many people in agony, this shouldn't have to be
Too busy focusing on ourselves and not His Majesty
There has to be some type of change for this day and age
We gotta rearrange and flip the page
Livin' encased like animals and cannibals
Eatin' each other alive just to survive the nine to five
Every single day is trouble while we struggle and strive
Peace of mind's so hard to find

Aw yeah, another Invincible thread! It's been so long since we talked about this
I wanna shout, throw my hands up and shout
What's this madness all about?
All this makes me wanna shout
You know it makes me wanna shout
Throw my hands up and shout
What's this madness all about?
All this makes me wanna shout, come on now

If you go, I won't forget you, girl (Please don't go)
Can't you see that you will always be? (You will always be)
Even though I had to let you go (Don't you leave me, don't you leave me)
Thereā€™s nothing left to do
Don't walk away
If you go, I won't forget you, girl (Please, please don't leave, you will always)
Can't you see that you will always be? (Can't you see you and me?)
Even though (You will always be), I had to let you go
Better leave now, don't you leave me
When there's nothin' left to do
Don't walk away
If you go, I won't forget you, girl (Oh, no, oh, yeah, baby girl)
Can't you see? (You and me), that you will always be (I won't forget you, girl, I won't forget you, girl)
Even though (I won't forget you, girl), I had to let go
Better leave now, better leave now
There's nothin' left do
Don't walk away

We now prepare to take you to the next level (Yeah)
2000 watts (2000) 8 ohms (Alright now)
200 volts (Are you ready?)
Voltage high
2000 watts, (What?) 2000 watts
2000 watts, 2000 watts, (Dolby)
2000 watts, (What?) 2000 watts
2000 watts, 2000 watts (Three-dimensional)
3D, high speed, (High speed) feedback, Dolby (Baby)
Release two or three (3D), when I reach
Can I go ā€˜til I hit my peak? (3D, 3D, 3D now)
Compact (Come on) steelo, chico, D-Lo, highpost lady
Shorty really wanna be there for me

40% MJ's songs like that, lol. If you don't like these songs, you don't have to listen to MJ's songs. Go listen Eminem, kid

We Are the World
Heal the World
Gone Too Soon
The Lost Children
You Are My Life
What More Can I Give

That's about it. Just because something is a ballad doesn't mean it's really suitable to be sung to kids, though. Maybe you could throw in "You Are Not Alone" if I'm being really generous.

Last edited:
I think it's more likely that MJ himself chose to replace "Shout" with "You Are My Life" because that song was for his kids
He did the same on Dangerous, replacing SPYHO with Gone Too Soon for Ryan White.

2000 Watts is not rock, it is not rap, it is not about social issues.
Shout is rock-rap about social issues.
They're different. Let's take both.

They're obviously different songs, but they have similar production. You can tell Teddy Riley produced both of them and his spoken intros are similar ("You may now apply your 3D glasses as we proceed ... prepare to proceed into 2000 watts" and "This is not your ordinary record ... Hit it") . The vocal processing on both tracks is also similar.

They're obviously different songs, but they have similar production. You can tell Teddy Riley produced both of them and his spoken intros are similar ("You may now apply your 3D glasses as we proceed ... prepare to proceed into 2000 watts" and "This is not your ordinary record ... Hit it") . The vocal processing on both tracks is also similar.
Shout samples a song by Guy also.

I always felt that was one of the weaker aspects of the song. It just lazily takes its beat from a song that was released one year prior. And it takes its chorus from the old Isley Brothers song of the same name. Plus, it doesn't really sit well with me that MJ would mention controversial things like school shootings in some uptempo hip-hop-ish song that sounds like it was meant for dancing if not for the lyrics. Like it's bringing up all of this chaotic, sad stuff in an attempt to be edgy. It's not like "We've Had Enough", which genuinely sounded like MJ was trying to bring attention to the problems instead of just making a song that sounded cool.

Last edited:
Everybody's idea of the "best"/"worst" song on Invincible is literally not the same song. It's almost like it's just an album with enjoyable music on it. And taste is subjective, so MJ made literally one song for every kind of fan to latch on to. This is almost as contentious as The Rise of Skywalker.

Lol do you really care about what's going on in my head is the real question
To an extent or another,as I am fascinated by the human thought process,more often than not. So it is not only about yourself,really:I just happen to love analysing (or,at least,attempting to do so) the psychology of human beings,anytime that I find the time to do so.
( I am aware that this might sound ridiculous,though)

I love You Are My Life but Michael made a bad call taking Shout off the album. It could and should have easily replaced something like Heartbreaker, Invincible, Privacy or even Lost Children-(I love this one, but it is on the weaker side of the totem pole)

Hell Shout would have made for a better title track then Invincible...(even though IMO Whatever Happens should have gotten that right as it's the best song on the entire album)

Hopefully one day, Shout will get a proper album release and not be stuck as a B-side to Cry getting no respect at all. It's a great song.

Without changing the album too much, this would have made a better tracklist

1. Unbreakable (uptempo)
2. Invincible (uptempo)
3. Break of Dawn (midtempo)
4. Heaven Can Wait (midtempo)
5. Heartbreaker (uptempo)
6. You Rock My World (uptempo)
7. Butterflies (midtempo)
8. Speechless (midtempo)
9. 2000 Watts (uptempo)
10. Shout (uptempo)
11. Cry (midtempo)
12. Privacy (uptempo)
13. Don't Walk Away (midtempo)
14. The Lost Children (midtempo)
15. Whatever Happens (midtempo)
16. Threatened (uptempo)

Better pacing, even though there's still a bit of an issue towards the end with three consecutive midtempo ballads. Even without "You Are My Life", there are too many ballads here. From naming it Invincible, to increasing the album's budget each time he delayed it, to writing so few of the tracks on it, to including a song called "The Lost Children", to adding another ballad just a few weeks before the album came out after so much money had already been spent on it, MJ was clearly full of himself when made this album. He just thought he could do whatever the hell he wanted without making any compromises. This album sucked lol

Last edited:
Back