Woah, When did HIStory come out as a stand alone release?

It's true, but that CD is actually fake (as far as my eyes tell me.)

Earth Song was released simultaneously with "This Time Around" on promo-only CDs to radios and club DJ pools.

(official) US promo-only CDs with Earth Song:
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-This-Time-Around/release/6919804
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-This-Time-Around-Earth-Song/release/989034
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Earth-Song/release/3468321

Earth Song promo-only US vinyl:
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Earth-Song/release/720166

The Hani Remix later also appeared as a bonus track on several promo & commercial CDs and vinyls of the TDCAU single in the USA.

Last edited:
My CD arrived while I was in Paris so just seeing it now.

Nice little package, no major differences- the HIStory Begins songs just arent mentioned in the booklet really. Still has the "Contains previously released material" notice on the back for some reason.

Disc is silver instead of gold.

Nice usage of the TWYMMF picture on the side

TDCAU is the single edit, with sound effects, which is much better than the edited/cropped version that was on the later releases

HIStory is the newer awful version which is quite frankly unlistenable and always has been to me. The iconic music of the original or nothing. All in all a nice edition.

Yeah id imagine you could get it but BOTDF wasnt released as a single so I think it was a case of that they released it but did so completely on the sly ha!

BOTDF was released in the US as a single. I have the cassette in my collection still. Bought it at Walmart for a couple bucks. Album was released too. Single was a flop. Didn't do well on the charts, and the video got lukewarm air play.

BOTDF was released in the US as a single. I have the cassette in my collection still. Bought it at Walmart for a couple bucks. Album was released too. Single was a flop. Didn't do well on the charts, and the video got lukewarm air play.

I have the cassette single also! I also have the CD single and the CD Maxi Single! I got them at Tower Records the day it was released!

MattyJam;4114295 said:
The only thing is, the whole "Past Present & Future Book I" part doesn't really work when it's a stand alone disc. If they are reissuing the album as a single disc (which I'm all for), they should just name it simply "HIStory" and drop the rest of the title imo.

The original cover needs its original, full title (‘Past, Present & Future Book I’).

Dropping the rest of the title (or renaming it) on the original cover, it could lead to misconceptions regarding its originality.

In my opinion, they did the right thing by keeping the full title.

HIStory is the newer awful version which is quite frankly unlistenable and always has been to me. The iconic music of the original or nothing.

Doesn't it have just different samples in the intro?
Or do you mean they put that Toni Moran dance remix on the HIStory album? :eek:

My CD arrived while I was in Paris so just seeing it now.

TDCAU is the single edit, with sound effects, which is much better than the edited/cropped version that was on the later releases
Is the single edit the same as the radio edit-meaning are the lyrics are changed from the original?

Is the single edit the same as the radio edit-meaning are the lyrics are changed from the original?

The lyrics are over dubbed with the sound effects from the video, i think this was the single version.

Doesn't it have just different samples in the intro?
Or do you mean they put that Toni Moran dance remix on the HIStory album? :eek:

Different samples in the intro/middle. The newer one isnt a patch on the original.

Double post sorry

They removed the "Great Gates of Kiev" Sample (The best sounding version of it from any orchestra, by the way) and replaced it with some completely generic and awful crap. I agree with you, it's miserable. Stupid Sony, so cheap about copyright. (It is Sony, cause they did it in This Is It too.

Just a few pics in case anyone is interested. Nothing major to see
gVnV-q5dfdgK4Hp6usueXQdpPM5v83rFzd7fSv6Jomc
3gdr2B1Ij3OdHlMGpuNDmNwqYEOB0HgYJ_wbZV1xHQk
XcgqgxZU2OeHnKSNBmSmmQqUZWKPUYxKEbcEUHCxT-g
xrbD8O4Lv2Mur-qXOXLxgwRclOCJEbJo9yrXNzqwLoQ
_Oso5gEJa3_aGFt4atfQAxp74jvCKKUuBlK4e6Rtaio
kZsrSTVFLw7hYcT8WK0PMiVlU1_eyt1FOREofC-DXPQ
c0WaZ0UyZTfp2m5IxD_OvZ13QeG1maBPax6OB5G8a9U%2CEk02ZoVYJcdFU_sCDju83YSknI3adHuAvNidwiZvxNQ

I was at f.y.e. in the Mall earlier and I saw this:

Dunno if it's been out for awhile or if it came out recently, but it's new to me. Honestly, It's about time! It should have been released by itself years ago, It would have made more sense than releasing Disc 1 as a standalone, especially now that the market has been saturated with compilations.

HIStory is among Michael's best work by far, and it deserves to stand on it's own merits alongside his other albums without being overshadowed by Greatest Hits material.

I agree with you, it makes a much clearer idea to just have those new songs and make the compilation a separate disc.
the compilation disc confuses things. I think the mass public including me did not understand the idea, it was perhaps too subtle a play on words to have both compilation and new stuff.

I was at f.y.e. in the Mall earlier and I saw this:

Dunno if it's been out for awhile or if it came out recently, but it's new to me. Honestly, It's about time! It should have been released by itself years ago, It would have made more sense than releasing Disc 1 as a standalone, especially now that the market has been saturated with compilations.

HIStory is among Michael's best work by far, and it deserves to stand on it's own merits alongside his other albums without being overshadowed by Greatest Hits material.

So question, I was at the mall at F.Y.E and saw the HIStory album like you did... What mall did you go to? lol! Just wondering

When special editions of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous were released in 2001 to promote the release of Invincible, most fans don't realize a special edition of HIStory was released as well.

The only thing "special" about it was that it was the first time "HIStory continues" was being released on its own. There was no bonus material. Also, it wasn't released in many markets. I believe it was primarily intended for South America.

Within the last few years, the left overs from South America began being sold in the US at FYE as a budget title. Just a way for the label to try to unload them. It's technically an import, but priced at $6.99, which is very cheap by FYE standards.

When special editions of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous were released in 2001 to promote the release of Invincible, most fans don't realize a special edition of HIStory was released as well.

The only thing "special" about it was that it was the first time "HIStory continues" was being released on its own. There was no bonus material. Also, it wasn't released in many markets. I believe it was primarily intended for South America.

You're mixing things up there.

In 2001 the Disc 1 (Greatest Hits) was released solo.
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Greatest-Hits-HIStory-Volume-I/master/141734

Disc 2 (HIStory continues) wasn't released solo before 2010.

At least I've never haerd about a 2001 Disc 2 solo release before. It's also not on discogs.com.
Proof pics please. :)

I'm well aware that disc 1 was released worldwide in 2001. Disc 2 was released in some South American territories that year, I believe primarily in Argentina. In 2010 or 2011, it was released in some European territories, I believe primarily in Spain.

I'm not sure if FYE is importing from South America or Europe, but it's definitely an import. Disc 2 was never released on its own in the US. The only retailed I'm aware of that stocks it is FYE and they stock it nationwide. So clearly the label produced too many of these somewhere and is now trying to get rid of them in the states.

I'm well aware that disc 1 was released worldwide in 2001. Disc 2 was released in some South American territories that year, I believe primarily in Argentina. In 2010 or 2011, it was released in some European territories, I believe primarily in Spain.

Any kind of source on this? I'm not doubting you just that I wasn't aware of one prior to 2010 either, and as Electro says there's no mention of it on Discogs.

There was a US chain called CD Warehouse that began stocking lots of Argentinian imports in the early 2000s. CDs in Argentina at the time were so cheap that with the exchange rate, it made more sense for CD Warehouse to import titles from Argentina than to buy from US distributors. The Argentina CDs had a unique sticker on the back of the case, so it was very easy to spot a cheap Argentinian import. I used to see "HIStory continues" there all the time.

Discogs.com is VERY incomplete when it comes to South American imports.

There was a US chain called CD Warehouse that began stocking lots of Argentinian imports in the early 2000s. CDs in Argentina at the time were so cheap that with the exchange rate, it made more sense for CD Warehouse to import titles from Argentina than to buy from US distributors. The Argentina CDs had a unique sticker on the back of the case, so it was very easy to spot a cheap Argentinian import. I used to see "HIStory continues" there all the time.

Not a source but thanks for the info! Be an interesting item to get, assuming it's not a bootleg.

If you own a copy please make some close-up photos.

Never bought one. My copy of HIStory is the US 2CD version purchased on release day in '95 w/ uncensored lyrics, etc. I must admit the one CD, HIStory continues looks pretty cool and I see it at FYE all the time dirt cheap, but even for $6 it's hard to justify buying an album I already own. I own a LOT of Michael Jackson CDs, but don't really consider myself a collector. I just like the music.

I think I prefer 1st edition with Michael's message for french fans, uncensored lyrics, different intro on HIStory.
HIStory is my 3rd favorite album after Bad and Off The wall

I think I prefer 1st edition with Michael's message for french fans, uncensored lyrics, different intro on HIStory.
HIStory is my 3rd favorite album after Bad and Off The wall

Nah, the first pressing with message to german fans is much better. :D

The other day I saw that CD, and I asked a friend, what is that?, and told me it was only the history continues disc, as in the photo, and I said, what ?, when that happened, is a very interesting item

Back