wonderful analysis of "You Rock My World"

billyworld99

Proud Member
In The Spotlight Today: Michael Jackson’s “You Rock My World”

I wanted something that would glue you to the set, something you’d want to watch over and over. The idea from the beginning was to give people quality. So I wanted to be a pioneer in this relatively new medium and make the best short music movies we could make.” — Michael Jackson
Few artists in music history have been capable of exerting the enormous influence upon culture that Michael Jackson has. Throughout a career spanning more than four decades, the King of Pop cemented his role as the consummate performer. Rather than focusing on the sole aspects of singing or dancing, Jackson was prudent about sharing quality entertainment through innovation and inspiration. These attributes transcended to the pop star’s music videos, otherwise dubbed as “short films”, catapulting them to previously unattained heights. Short films such as, “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”, “Thriller”, and “Billie Jean” remain the most recognized and distinguished videos of all time; however, underrated singles such as “You Rock My World” from his 2001 album, “Invincible”, can also attest to his genius and portray the beauty of Jackson’s creativity.
“You Rock My World”, Jackson’s leading single on his tenth studio album, exemplifies the definition of “short film”. Elements typical of feature movies are incorporated to result in the thirteen-minute cinematic short, portraying the two main leads, (Michael Jackson, Chris Tucker) vying for a woman’s affection. An elaborate plot which includes a beginning, climax, and resolution, contributes meaning behind the story, thus adding a sincere feel to the song. A full set including restaurant and street scenery, bar props, and formal wardrobe accentuate the “gangster movie” vibe of the short film. To top it off, a prominent list of actors costar alongside the King of Pop, including Chris Tucker, Michael Madsen, and the late Marlon Brando. Everything from the story, to the actors, to the wardrobe and scenery combines to enact a full movie experience, as the footage builds depth and establishes a connection with the audience.
Jackson’s trademark choreography further exhibits the video’s ingenuity. With dance at the core of the footage, the pop star boasts an explosive performance consisting of classic spins, intricate footwork, crotch grabs, and thrusts. “Group dancing”, a style which Jackson is credited for popularizing, also adds a unique twist to the music video. The stylistic blend between the singer’s sharp, synchronized choreography and smooth, laid-back moves complements both his artistic abilities and the distinctive nature of the film.

Finally, the video’s emotional response highlights its matchless versatility. The emotions evoked throughout the short film’s portrayal speak to audiences of all walks of life. Comical scenes between Jackson and Tucker conjure up sentiments of joy, while scenes portraying Jackson with female lead Kishaya Dudley evoke feelings of love and companionship. The video later depicts fear and courage. Audiences can relate to the palpable emotions which transcend from the video to the hearts and souls of viewers.
Along with his most famed music videos, “You Rock My World” continues to shed light on the ground-breaking, creative, and uplifting nature of Michael Jackson’s showmanship. Though not as praised as the singer’s earlier releases, the delivery of his most recent single truly represents art in its purest form.

http://inthespotlightblog.wordpress...ght-today-michael-jacksons-you-rock-my-world/

Jackson’s trademark choreography further exhibits the video’s ingenuity. With dance at the core of the footage, the pop star boasts an explosive performance consisting of classic spins, intricate footwork, crotch grabs, and thrusts. “Group dancing”, a style which Jackson is credited for popularizing, also adds a unique twist to the music video. The stylistic blend between the singer’s sharp, synchronized choreography and smooth, laid-back moves complements both his artistic abilities and the distinctive nature of the film.

Finally, the video’s emotional response highlights its matchless versatility. The emotions evoked throughout the short film’s portrayal speak to audiences of all walks of life. Comical scenes between Jackson and Tucker conjure up sentiments of joy, while scenes portraying Jackson with female lead Kishaya Dudley evoke feelings of love and companionship. The video later depicts fear and courage. Audiences can relate to the palpable emotions which transcend from the video to the hearts and souls of viewers.
Along with his most famed music videos, “You Rock My World” continues to shed light on the ground-breaking, creative, and uplifting nature of Michael Jackson’s showmanship. Though not as praised as the singer’s earlier releases, the delivery of his most recent single truly represents art in its purest form.

http://inthespotlightblog.wordpress...ght-today-michael-jacksons-you-rock-my-world/

:clapping:

Thanks for posting!!!!! :wild:

one of my favourite songs EVER! whenever I listen to it, it just makes me wanna dance. I'm so glad it's finally being shown some appreciation!

Ohh I remember when the video premiered on national TV in my country.
It premiered pretty late, around 23pm and a host introduced it. Me and my dad were glued to the TV and watching :)

sigh.. happy memories

finally some credit for one of his latest work released

:clapping:you are so right. They Praised Bruce Springsteen and Britney Sprears More than they did Michael that year. :scratch:The Video shows a mature Man who still got the moves and grooves.Laidback moves ? Yes, A Mature Movement for his age at the time. Laidback and Smooth. I loved every bit of that Video and both Song and Video was worthy for a Grammy. SONY REALLY DID IT TO HIM. It's was ashamed how things really turned out.:(

I love the slow mo dance he does in the video. It was a simple, classic MJ move, only more fluid, and done a little slower. I had that scene on repeat continuously the first time I saw it. Michael was so animated, he could express ANYTHING with his body.

YRMW has an infectious rhythm
It has a great climax til the end - you can't say the same for the rather monotonous Rock Your Body

Back