Would you be interested in hearing a posthumous duet between Michael and Janet?

Would you be interested in hearing a posthumous duet between Michael and Janet?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
Nice to see there are new votes.

Yes and no voters, no need to be shy. It would be grand to hear why are you voting as you are.

Tygger;4095336 said:
There is a second vocalist on Shout; tis Janet. They sound so similar it is difficult to discern but, the second voice is definitely female and heard easily in the third verse. Teddy Riley is the producer. Lyrics are amazing; I believe Michael may have written it or co-written the song with others. Slash!

I believe it was supposed to be release with Cry outside of the U.S. Can anyone confirm? It was supposed to be replaced with You Are My Life on Invincible but I cannot confirm this either.

Unlike you, I am not really a fan of duets, let alone posthumous. Luckily MJ opted for ‘Scream’ instead of ‘Runaway’ as a duet with his sister Janet on the ‘HIStory’ album.

Also, MJ co-wrote ‘Shout’ along with E. Riley, S. Hoskins, C. Forbes, C. Lampson & R. Hamilton. Rumour has it that it was replaced by ‘You are my life’, just a few weeks before the release of ‘Invincible’. Although ‘Shout’ sounds (musically) annoyingly repetitive/monotonous, I firmly believe that it was by far a better option than ‘You are my life’ to make the album. Additionally, MJ sings deliberately in such a way in order to force the listener to pay more attention, to make him listen more carefully the lyrics so as to come closer to its message(s).

Finally, ‘Shout’, in my opinion, cannot be considered a duet in the literal sense of the word. Although there is a distinct female voice that provides some (additional) background vocals, I think that participation is not enough to that extent that the song can be called a duet.

Mj_frenzy, I never said I was a fan of duets however; I am not opposed to them, posthumous or otherwise.

I agree Michael chose well with Scream. I also agree that Michael is deliberately singing Shout in a driving manner to force the points and what amazing points they are. I do not find it "annoyingly repetitive/monotonous;" quite the opposite. I find Shout to be one of Michael's hidden gems.

For myself, it is only logical to have Janet as the featured female vocalist as there seemed to be a decision made regarding the inclusion of a featured female vocalist and not simply a background vocalist. By the way, a duet is simply a performance by two people. There is no stringent definition that a duet must include a trading of lines, etc.

Tygger;4099932 said:
Mj_frenzy, I never said I was a fan of duets however; I am not opposed to them, posthumous or otherwise.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Tygger;4099932 said:
By the way, a duet is simply a performance by two people. There is no stringent definition that a duet must include a trading of lines, etc.

In my opinion, duets require a vocal balance (than just a simple background vocal participation). Strictly speaking, duets must be performed by two singers in an equal way, so as the listener cannot distinguish the main of the two (for example, ‘I Know the Truth’ by Janet/Elton John).

That’s why personally I do not regard ‘Shout’ as a duet, because in this song the additional female background vocals are meant to have just a minor supportive role.

Mj_frenzy, in PYT, Janet is a background vocalist. In Shout, she is doing much more. I believe she is not credited on either.

Tygger;4099932 said:
I do not find it "annoyingly repetitive/monotonous;" quite the opposite. I find Shout to be one of Michael's hidden gems.

‘Shout’ sounds like a bomb that is about to explode at any minute while its unrelenting/feverish beat gets the points across effectively. It is a shame that ‘Shout’ did not make the album (especially when you take into account the quality of the songs that eventually were included on ‘Invincible’).

My disagreement has to do with the chorus which after a certain point tends to sound repetitive.

Tygger;4100012 said:
Mj_frenzy, in PYT, Janet is a background vocalist. In Shout, she is doing much more. I believe she is not credited on either.

Also, in my opinion, regarding 'Shout' the word ‘duet’ could have confused listeners. There is no doubt that MJ is the lead singer whereas the female vocalist should be perceived as a guest on the track & nothing else. As a result, I think the word ‘duet’ cannot be used (even very loosely) to describe ‘Shout’.

Regarding ‘P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)’ many reasons could have explained the lack of the ‘background vocals’ credits in regard to Janet/Latoya. So, I think this case/song should not act as a guide.

Finally, I agree with you, that her participation on ‘Shout’ (which, by the way, fits perfectly with MJ’s lead vocals) is much more important/crucial than ‘P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)'.

There is no doubt that MJ is the lead singer whereas the female vocalist should be perceived as a guest on the track & nothing else.

Guest singers are sometimes referred to as duet partners.

We can agree to disagree regarding Shout being a duet. I would like to know if you are interested in a posthumous duet featuring Janet? With the news of the Michael Prince interview, I would prefer Janet as Michael's duet partner than any other random pop singer.

Tygger;4100349 said:
Guest singers are sometimes referred to as duet partners.

We can agree to disagree regarding Shout being a duet.

We are diametrically opposed on that issue. But, there is no problem at all.

Tygger;4100349 said:
I would like to know if you are interested in a posthumous duet featuring Janet? With the news of the Michael Prince interview, I would prefer Janet as Michael's duet partner than any other random pop singer.

Generally speaking, I am very demanding when it comes to duets, because for me a lot of requirements must be met for a successful/memorable duet.

More specifically, I am not interested at all in a possible posthumous duet between MJ & any other artist (Janet included). This is the reason why I did not vote, because my vote would have made no sense in regard to your question. Furthermore, if a posthumous duet is inevitable, & the question is if I prefer Janet to any other random artist (as a partner), then I will respond by saying that it is all the same to me (because I will never pay any attention to that duet).

A possible duet means a version of the song that MJ never approved of. That’s why for me a posthumous duet will always be something foreign to MJ’s vision/nature.

Regarding this interview, it is downright frustrating to think that these songs circulate in such a free way. Also, it is rather unwise/naïve for a sound engineer to let on (in public) where he stores these songs. Something in this interview does not fit.

I voted yes, mainly because I respect what Janet brought to the table in "Scream" (holding her own with her performance instead of being over powered by Mike's). The other reason I voted yes is the sentimental factor; she's his most talented sibling and performing with him again would probably mean more to her than someone just trying to attach their name to Mike for some air time. Janet doesn't need to whore for publicity and/or attention. She has that locked down on her OWN.

mj_frenzy;4100374 said:
Regarding this interview, it is downright frustrating to think that these songs circulate in such a free way. Also, it is rather unwise/naïve for a sound engineer to let on (in public) where he stores these songs. Something in this interview does not fit.

I am unsure what to think about that interview. Prince is stating he did not make certain statements which account for the full interview. If he was indeed interviewed, what did he actually say?

SheilaMJFan4Ever;4100509 said:
I voted yes, mainly because I respect what Janet brought to the table in "Scream" (holding her own with her performance instead of being over powered by Mike's). The other reason I voted yes is the sentimental factor; she's his most talented sibling and performing with him again would probably mean more to her than someone just trying to attach their name to Mike for some air time. Janet doesn't need to whore for publicity and/or attention. She has that locked down on her OWN.

My sentiments exactly.

Tygger;4100551 said:
I am unsure what to think about that interview. Prince is stating he did not make certain statements which account for the full interview. If he was indeed interviewed, what did he actually say?

I focused on those parts of his interview.

Also, if Janet offers her vocals to a MJ’s song, this should not be perceived as an attempt to ride coattails.

mj_frenzy;4100603 said:
I focused on those parts of his interview.

It seems Prince has the songs on his computer and cannot allow anyone to hear them or state their titles.

Also, if Janet offers her vocals to a MJ’s song, this should not be perceived as an attempt to ride coattails.

Very much agreed.

Tygger;4100942 said:
It seems Prince has the songs on his computer and cannot allow anyone to hear them or state their titles.

Prince’s statements do not seem to make sense. For example, if he does not let people state the songs’ titles, then he should not have revealed the titles to them in the first place.

In any case, it is best for producers/sound engineers to make such statements behind closed doors. To reveal (in public) that kind of information, for me is, at best, naïve &, at worst, risky.

Finally, I think it is not necessary for people/fans to know where MJ’s authentic vocals are stored (as long as these tapes are safe).

I think it would be great for tracks that are not completed for Janet to duet on it.. Especially if they ever do that duet album!! the unfinished material that has parts of the song missing, why not?
completed songs (vocally).. leave those alone

A song that is not completed and have empty space to fit in other artist(s), that's one I'd like to use... Just not in sacrifice on taking out Michael vocals!

Well she did Broken Hearts Heal on Unbreakable,which is about Michael,so the opportunity to do a posthumous song with Michael was missed. But I'd still love to hear her do one,even if it never ended up on an album and it was just a promotional single.

Not sure yet if i want to hear a duet with Michael and Janet posthumous. I love Scream that was awesome and the song Broken Hearts Heal on Janet new album about Michael i love that one too it is a beautiful song. I do not think will happen but it just might come down to how Janet feel about it if she want a song release with her singing without her brother here that imo.

Thinking of Michael/Freddie duet TMBMTLTT (I honestly thought it's impossible to make this duet less than absolutely great) I guess a lot depends on production, not just if it was ment to be a duet or if it's someone we think is ok for it.
There are two variants for duest:

1. To bring more attention to the song, like with LNFSG. Here it is very important to release Michael's solo version too.

2. No Michael's voice, he didn't record it. Here I have to add that even not famous person will do if sounds right! Creativity should be taken seriously here.

As for Janet, I'm fine with her as long as it's good for the song. I'm fine with anyone for the sake of making great music and creativity to live on.
Although with Janet there's one unexpected detail that is more important than I wish it to be... Some fans most likely will questioning, If it's respectful to Michael's memory. Unfortunately, this question will take place.

The last part you make a good point. Posthumous sometimes is a way to keep the memory of a person music going who has pass away sometimes it is best to hear solos but duet it become hard you want to hear it live without the person there it is just different that imo. Just like the ones that was mention above you can add Steven Wonder Paul M and more it just something i do not see in the future with Janet but i could be wrong. Only time will tell.

I think that there was never any opportunity for a good (even posthumous one) duet between MJ & Janet (with the exception of Scream’).

As far as I know, Janet was not interested in another duet with MJ after their collaboration on the song ‘Scream’, let alone to record her vocals for a future use in a duet with her brother. For this reason, any attempt for a possible posthumous duet will forever sound forced, compelled & thus unnatural, harming in this way both of them.

‘Scream’ still today stands out as a nearly perfect duet between the two of them. It is a very powerful track (with a symbolic edge, too) & their chemistry works really well. So, any other duet between MJ & Janet will automatically be inferior to this song & I think it should be avoided at all costs.

Back