Xscape 10th Anniversary

You can't start a fire without a spark.
Anniversary threads like this one are the spark.

Last edited:
Just for that, I really really wish they'd do this. If not for the legal troubles. I'm sick of catching strays from smart Aleck know it alls and being infested by trolls with nothing useful to say.

Not sure what you refer as „trolls“. But trashing the forum with countless anniversary-threads about released we didn’t get doesn’t make this a better place. People trying to keep the forum clean and not make it another trash-forum is no „trolling“. The MJJC forum is my and many people’s favorite place because it’s very well organized and focused.

Gaz really puts a lot of work into this forum since 20 years and a few member (including me) donate money every month to this forum. Trashing this forum is just a slap in the face for him and the people who are donating.

Not sure what you refer as „trolls“. But trashing the forum with countless anniversary-threads about released we didn’t get
how do you know we won't get more anniversary albums? are you a time traveller from the future or what?
pessimistic fans like you are worse than the estate.
and I tell you what: they didn't let me close my anniversary threads. I tried because I'm tired of the negativity in this forum.

Last edited:
Not sure what you refer as „trolls“. But trashing the forum with countless anniversary-threads about released we didn’t get doesn’t make this a better place. People trying to keep the forum clean and not make it another trash-forum is no „trolling“. The MJJC forum is my and many people’s favorite place because it’s very well organized and focused.

Gaz really puts a lot of work into this forum since 20 years and a few member (including me) donate money every month to this forum. Trashing this forum is just a slap in the face for him and the people who are donating.
Well I'd rather a hypothetical than another Invincible thread. We're experimenting.

To be fair also I did this thread coming up on 2 months ago. People insist on necro bumping.

The recent influx of speculating on random vault tracks for every "Anniversary" has nothing to do with me really. And they are congesting things, you're right. But, idk, I can imagine Bad 40 and Dangerous 40. Or 50. Celebrating the 25th doesn't stand out to me.

I personally don't think talking about MJ music on the MJ forum is trashing it either, but, what do I know.

We're not getting in the way of any of y'all's estate bashing, so don't worry about me, basically.

And if Gaz really cares about this forum, maybe he'd be more active with moderation and getting people serious about it. Instead of letting mj_frenzy, Hot_street, and Richard76 run amok just for the fun of it.

I personally don't think talking about MJ music on the MJ forum is trashing it either, but, what do I know.

We're not getting in the way of any of y'all's estate bashing, so don't worry about me, basically.

And if Gaz really cares about this forum, maybe he'd be more active with moderation and getting people serious about it. Instead of letting mj_frenzy, Hot_street, and Richard76 run amok just for the fun of it.
now it's official
fun not allowed on mjjc

. There's nothing wrong with some different topics.
I totally agree with that.

Which is why I don't understand why there are so many "anniversary" threads. It's strange. You don't get this with fans of any other artist.

And, specifically you now, you're the only person on earth still buying physical CDs for music tbh. Like, I don't know anybody else still using them.
And that's fine. I can only speak for myself, not other people, and I will never buy any music (or videogame) that doesn't have a physical release.

I'm just explaining why I don't rebuy albums. Especially ones that sound worse than the originals.

But reissues ain't for rebuying, it's for new consumers to buy. Unless it's an anthology or something.
Why would they bother? If somebody has never heard of Thriller until T40, then, I really don't know what to say.

Why all anniversary posthumous albums will never be released again
And... it doesn't matter. If somebody wants to buy an album, they can go ahead and buy it. It's right there.

I totally agree with that.

Which is why I don't understand why there are so many "anniversary" threads. It's strange. You don't get this with fans of any other artist.
I opened threads for Victory 40th, Invincible 25th, Triumph 45th, because I want them to release outtakes. I'd buy these outtakes like I did with Thriller 40 and Bad 25.
fans of other artists don't need these threads, because they get these releases.

My point is not that it’s wrong to discuss about possible anniversary releases…

My point is to open ONE thread for all those not existing releases rather than 10… it’s just not necessary to have separate ones.

I want them to release outtakes. I'd buy these outtakes like I did with Thriller 40 and Bad 25.
fans of other artists don't need these threads, because they get these releases.
But... imagine if they just released lots of outtakes, as "Unleased MJ Volume IV" or something. Imagine if Thriller was nothing to do with it. Imagine if they weren't taking advantage of you. Imagine not having to waste the plastic. Imagine if they could devote a whole CD to it (20 songs, 80 minutes, instead of 10 songs, 42 minutes).

Basically, Sony want to sell you a disc of something, but they wanna call it thriller do it bumps up the cumulative sales figure some more. That's all bullshit. If you wanna sell a new album, just sell a new album. Don't try to sell "Thriller 50" and "Thriller 60". That's just lame.

My point is not that it’s wrong to discuss about possible anniversary releases…

My point is to open ONE thread for all those not existing releases rather than 10… it’s just not necessary to have separate ones.
Well, don't worry about anyone's threads but mine, okay? I be standing on business, that's the difference lol

But... imagine if they just released lots of outtakes, as "Unleased MJ Volume IV" or something. Imagine if Thriller was nothing to do with it. Imagine if they weren't taking advantage of you. Imagine not having to waste the plastic. Imagine if they could devote a whole CD to it (20 songs, 80 minutes, instead of 10 songs, 42 minutes).

Basically, Sony want to sell you a disc of something, but they wanna call it thriller do it bumps up the cumulative sales figure some more. That's all bullshit. If you wanna sell a new album, just sell a new album. Don't try to sell "Thriller 50" and "Thriller 60". That's just lame.
Well it started with MJ. Thriller Special Edition, Thriller 25. Both came out as they are in this time period.

I have Thriller twice, I only bought the new songs on Thriller 40
the album Thriller 40 is for new fans
but you're right, I'd love boxsets full of unreleased songs
fans of the Beatles get them all the time:

Last edited:
some of the 24 vocally-completed songs, that didn't make it onto Xscape:
- Get Your Weight Off Of Me
- I Was the Loser
- Hot Fun in the Summertime
- Chicago 1945
- Dreams Away
- Lovely Way
- Turning Me Off
- Throwing Your Life Away

source:

I have Thriller twice, I only bought the new songs on Thriller 40
the album Thriller 40 is for new fans
but you're right, I'd love boxsets full of unreleased songs
fans of the Beatles get them all the time:
Funny you bring those up. Those Beatles rereleases are really confusing. It's as though they were only created to generate headlines on websites. They say they were "released", but in practice, the quantities involved were so small that nobody can actually buy one! I live about 3 miles from the official Beatles museum in Liverpool, and they didn't even stock it there!

Not only that, but it kinda proves the point I was making - if you wanna buy the album, you should be able just to buy the album. You shouldn't be forced to buy a 6-disc boxset that costs hundreds of dollars. I would love to have bought Let it Be or Sgt Pepper in Dolby Atmos (because it would be better than the 2009 and 1990 versions I already own), but I just won't buy such a massively overpriced "boxset" filled with stuff I'll only listen to once. They've basically put a lot of effort into producing a version of the album that nobody will hear. GNR did the same thing. So did REM. So did Nirvana. Seems like you can't actually buy just the remaster. And in MJ's case, the remaster is insultingly terrible, and you can't actually buy just the outtakes!

Basically, the record industry doesn't know what to do, so they're making it up as they go along. And people are falling for it.

Those Beatles rereleases are really confusing. It's as though they were only created to generate headlines on websites.
That generates it's own revenue. seems these enthusiast releases are just that, for enthusiasts.

Meanwhile, all of this stuff is on music streaming. I don't like Apple Music but they've invested fully in Dolby Atmos, and the Beatles are right there at the front of that.

Spotify is far behind though.

That generates it's own revenue. seems these enthusiast releases are just that, for enthusiasts.
That's my point. I'm an enthusiast - the target market is tiny, I'm one of them, and even I've been turned off by the way they're doing it.

Wouldn't it be great if they just released music and you could buy it? Without it being "super deluxe limited edition"? Without having to go to a weird website and hope you got there in the 6 minutes before they were sold out and all listed on eBay for $500?

And basically, if a tree falls down and nobody is around to hear it, does it actually make a sound?

Meanwhile, all of this stuff is on music streaming.
And that's a completely different thing. That's renting the music, song by song. The concept of an album doesn't exist. Which is another reason I find it strange people have started to clamour for Thriller 50, lol. You could literally just listen to the 3 unreleased songs from Thriller 40.

I don't like Apple Music but they've invested fully in Dolby Atmos, and the Beatles are right there at the front of that
What's the current project, Atmos mixes of the red compilation and the blue compilation? That one makes absolutely no sense, considering they aren't real albums and they get sniggered at by Beatles fans...

this is gonna be a sad anniversary.
10 years without a propper posthumous album or single.
the estate doesn't care at all.

Thriller40 + documentary was piss poor.
If you don't count the last album of stuff we got, yeah, we got no album of stuff. Good math.

Ten years is a long time.
At the time Xscape was out, I had hope for a expanded edition at the end of 2014 with Hot Fun in the Summertime.
Yup. I remember that they talked about the song in many articles, hinting that they intended to release it at least as a single.

On other occasions they then spoke in the plural, thinking that they would no longer make albums but only release singles. Now instead they have directly said that they are not planning to release unreleased stuff lmao.

Last edited:
If you don't count the last album of stuff we got, yeah, we got no album of stuff. Good math.

yea i was talking about a fully fledged out album, finalized songs and polished. something for the charts for example.

we got the Scream album in 2017, which was just a lazy collection of released songs.

Thriller40, mediocre demos with horrible audio quality and re-released stuff. lowest effort and ignoring Hot Street or Nite Line etc. they could have finalized one of those songs and put it out as a single or even release a Thriller EP with unheard finalized songs for 2022.

yea but that was mainly because of Drake and his fanbase. basically any track of him charts. the chorus was heavily filtered/edited and the verses by Drake are so bad, that i can't listen to the song (my opinion). i can't enjoy that song, also because he was using bits of a random demo for his album.
didn't he stop playing that song live, because of LN2019? at least for a limited time, he stopped playing it.
to me it seemed like, he needed a big name on his album to get more attention.

Will.i.am's track would have been interesting, they worked together in the studio at least and those songs are from MJ final years.

Back