Xscape General Discussion

Slightly off topic, but interesting for those who had cassettes back in time :D

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...s-cassette-tape-that-can-hold-64750000-songs/

[h=1]R.I.P. iPod: Sony unveils cassette tape that can hold 64,750,000 songs[/h]
cassette_desktop_by_revoltvideo.jpg

For a time, the cassette tape absolutely dominated the sales market. In 1990 alone, a staggering 442 million tapes were sold. However, with the rise of the CD, the birth of the mp3, and the eventual resurrection of vinyl, sales dwindled, and by 2007 only a mere 274,000 individual cassettes were sold. Sure, cassette-centric labels like Kissability and Mirror Universe Tapes have offered the cassette a new and niche following, but it’s a clear sign of the times when the cassette’s accompanying Walkman is regarded like some alien artifact.
Now, though, Sony has brought the cassette back from the dead by unveiling a tape that can hold a whopping 148 gigabytes per square inch. If you can’t do the math, that’s 185 terabytes of total data. We’ll wait as you toss your iPod into the trash.
The tape, which was unveiled this weekend at the International Magnetics Conference in Dresden, holds approximately 74 times the amount of data of standard tapes. (For comparison, by 2010, most standard tapes could only store about 29.5 GB per square inch.)
Divine influence or magic aside, how exactly did Sony manage to boost the potential of the 50-plus-year-old magnetic tape technology? According to Gizmodo:
“The tape uses a vacuum-forming technique called sputter deposition to create a layer of magnetic crystals by shooting argon ions at a polymer film substrate. The crystals, measuring just 7.7 nanometers on average, pack together more densely than any other previous method.”
As ITWorld explains, “By tweaking the sputter conditions and developing a soft magnetic underlayer on the film, the manufacturer was able to create a layer of fine magnetic particles with an average size of 7.7 nanometers.”
So, just how much data can a tape with 185 TB capacity actually hold? Here’s a few handy comparisons (via ExtremeTech):
– It’s three Blu-rays’ worth of data per square inch. Or, a total of 3,700 Blu-rays on a single tape. That’s a stack of boxes that would be nearly 15 feet high.
– A single tape holds five more TB than this hard drive storage array, which has to be custom-made and runs for $9,305.
– A total of 64,750,000 songs. If the average song is, say, three minutes, that’s enough music to last you 134,896 days.
– The entirety of the Library of Congress represents about 10 total TB. One tape can hold 18.5 versions of the Library of Congress.
The tape will be available for commercial sale, but no word yet on a release date. However, as Gizmodo points out, the super tape was originally developed for “long-term, industrial-sized data backup” and not necessarily for music, game, and video storage and playback.
Below, watch a video on the history of cassette tapes:

<iframe width="801" height="484" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3_ZfUz2lEqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

I cant believe it.

Such a perfect little love song!
Great production. Perfect mastering. Nice Vocals. There is nothing you can complain about!

"Lovin you!" :)

Just got e-mail from Amazon!!

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

Michael Jackson "Xscape"
Previous estimated arrival date: May 13 2014
New estimated arrival date: May 12 2014

My PS3 isn't working today, i can't premiere the song!!!! -_-

You see, this a song that nobody knew about at all..A song MJ did on his own from around 60 other sonsg he did for the BAD album..this is what i call surprise track....That is why we deserve to hear allt hese outtakes....This is my Fav soo far...Pure magic...the melody is haunting meee :D :D I had tears in my eyes when i 1st heard it :D Pure Magic..Heaven :D

I knew that timbo would do it ( as usual ) :D

God Bless the Bad Era :D

Hey! Can somebody please contact the estate?!
They are leaking the songs to YouTube! xO X(

Last edited:

You see, this a song that nobody knew about at all..A song MJ did on his own from around 60 other sonsg he did for the BAD album..this is what i call surprise track....That is why we deserve to hear allt hese outtakes....This is my Fav soo far...Pure magic...the melody is haunting meee :D :D I had tears in my eyes when i 1st heard it :D Pure Magic..Heaven :D

I knew that timbo would do it ( as usual ) :D

God Bless the Bad Era :D

Haven't heard it yet but this just proves that there are a lot of songs in the vault we have no knowledge about! Can't wait to hear it.. on the 9th (hopefully) :)

The ONLY small problem I have with album is that I think LNFSG shouldn't be an album opener. MJ always had hard hitting songs for an album opener Thriller - WBSS, Bad - Bad, Dangerous - Jam, History - Screen & Invincible - Unbreakable. It's the same with a concert! You want to be hit hard with Bang!!!!

'Loving You' is just adorable. Short, sweet, tight and wonderful. Love it!

I have these three songs on replay now. It's already great and the best is still to come, since the 2nd part of the album is the stronger part.

The temptation is really strong, but I'm still holding in there, no songs until May 13th!

Ditto.

I learned my lesson with Bad 25.

I cannot wait for May 13th.

Amazon just emailed me to say my order will arrive a day early on May 12th!!

LNFSG ft. Justin Timberlake vs Hold My Hand ft. Akon ? Go....

I know now that I wont be blown away with this release as I did with MICHAEL.
Let me explain.....this will be a much better overall album but I really enjoyed
Behind the mask and Hollywood tonight and they were completely new at the time.
"problem" now is that I have played the best songs on this new album to Death.....already.
Regarding the 2 competely new songs released the last few days......they are good but I enjoyed Al Capone and Abortion papers from Bad25 much more.

Amazon just emailed me to say my order will arrive a day early on May 12th!!

That's not early is it? It's released everywhere on the 12th in the UK.

I suspect it's just that Amazon had the wrong date on their pre-order page.

That's not early is it? It's released everywhere on the 12th in the UK.

I suspect it's just that Amazon had the wrong date on their pre-order page.

Or Amazon wants to leak the hell out of the great album one day before :p

The boss of deliveries @ Amazon is an MJ fan and he cannot wait

LNFSG ft. Justin Timberlake vs Hold My Hand ft. Akon ? Go....

LNFSG hands down, but its down to the mix, LNFSG its okay, could have been better, but HMH was so simple, boring and weak its almost unbearable.

Michael only said Best of Joy once, yet that was the title. Same with Will You Be There (barring the ending spoken word verse).

2:28, 4:46, 4:57, and the one you mentioned at 6:24.

Loving You is wonderful, beautiful, awesome, great, amazing! But little to short. Timbo did great job. Piano is amazing.

2:28, 4:46, 4:57, and the one you mentioned at 6:24.

Can't believe I forgot the middle two! Jeez, I'm off my game.

But other than that song, my statement stands about Best of Joy, Earth Song, Tabloid Junkie and Superfly Sister.

Or Amazon wants to leak the hell out of the great album one day before :p

No, I'm pretty sure the album will be available in stores and online in the UK on the 12th. A day early would be Sunday, May 11th. And there's no post service in the UK on a Sunday.

Back