Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Again, not listening to the new mix for another 2 days...but I love the original to death. I can't imagine how they could have improved upon that.

And I do get a desert feel from the demo.

When I see some fans' posts, I sometimes wonder how many MJ's songs they like in total. Two? Three?

I mean, you gotta be kidding me when some say they don't like an MJ song. To me it is unconceivable. Maybe, it's soemthing wrong with me?

I was more confused by the conversation regarding which song on Invincible should have been replaced with songs from Xscape. I am fine with Privacy, etc. being on Invincible so I had no input in the discussion. I understand and am fine that others feel differently and that was a cd Michael worked on.

It is not blasphemous to dislike a song by Michael Jackson. In this case, I like the demo of APWNN and I am honored to have heard it. I still do not believe it should have been released officially in the original and/or contemporized versions. It is not my favorite. It was not Michael's either or he would have pushed for it to be released as he had chances to do so.

It is possible to work on something and never be satisfied with it. It happens to everyone including Michael. Michael did not work on this cd and din not choose these songs for release either; his Estate and Sony did. I do not understand the issue with stating a dislike of one remixed song out of four; five if you count the second remix for LNFSG. Was Xscape expected to be a perfect cd?

Last edited:

Thankful for the demo versions not a fan of this one; from beginning to end this mix is quite messy.
I hope these guys (Stargate) didn't mix Blue Gangsta.

ive listened to it twice (actually one and a half) and have no interest watsoever in listening again. apwnn was one of my absolute favorite demos and it almost disgusts me hearing what they've done to it.

I totally get a Wild West desert vibe from the new production, whereas the 2008 mix actually reminded me of a street alongside a pine forest for some reason... with fog. Lots of fog.

Totally respect that, but it doesn't work for me, i am really having a hard time here trying to get into that new mix...

The Fact that this the 1st song that we are in conflict about since LNFSG just proves one thing :It Could have been better than this

sure you can my friend but you were never supposed to hear the "original" and you base your judgment on your licking to a version you heard illegally and against the will of MJ :/

What?

So I cannot have an opinion now about the remix because I have heard the demo? I don't get what you are saying or what the legality or illegality of the leak has to do with anything.

You love the new remix, fine. Just try to accept that not everyone feels the same way.

Thankful for the demo versions not a fan of this one; from beginning to end this mix is quite messy.
I hope these guys (Stargate) didn't mix Blue Gangsta.

they didn't..Timbo did...stargate only produced this one (Thank God) :D Timbo should have done all Songs IMO

What?

So I cannot have an opinion now about the remix because I have heard the demo? I don't get what you are saying or what the legality or illegality of the leak has to do with anything.

You love the new remix, fine. Just try to accept that not everyone feels the same way.

i do respect that others don't like it but when these people start voicing their opinion using disgust, shame, shit.... they spoil the fun for me.

and the point about legality is crucial at least when you start talking about MJ's vision and his decision to never release it (i don't understand how can you be honored to have sneaked into his vault and heard something you were not permitted to hear ^^)

Although I'm really enjoying the new APWNN mix by Stargate, I really only have one little tiny teeny complaint...

Right after MJ sings "...you could be in another world" I wish they didn't remove MJ's deep "ooohhhh" and replace it with one from earlier in the song..

I'm still really liking the new groove they made, and I do agree it totally sounds other worldly almost (at least on the first few listens) and I'm loving that..

Wow, everybody's upset, when i get home, and listen to the song, i'll post my reaction in here.

That's all nice, but I don't know why we shouldn't say so if we do not like a song - or in this case a remix? Should I say I love it even if I don't just "not to kill the producers' love for MJ" (who probably do not even read this board)?

You'll get the demos, case solved.

Sheesh, some people suggest/pretend with their comments we have to like and appreciate everything brought on Xscape just because it's modern! Not the case, modern not always means good or better!

Bring it on STTR to move on!

Correction: No one hate the song, People just don't like the new production....

The idea is that the new production doesn't fit with the lyrics at ALL....I mean MJ was riding a jeep in the desert not a spaceship to use synthetic sound LOOOOL :D :D

No, seriously..i am mad at them muting freeze backvocals..made the song lose lot of Harmony

Who are they supposed to give the job to work on the songs? Eddie Cascio?

I have a question for all of you. Have you actually ever witnessed MJ album releases in the past? Because I have the impression that many people tend to forget that every single, maxi cassette, maxi CD were full of remixes approved by MJ.

Have you ever heard this official release:

[youtube]Hul9JUio4hA[/youtube]

I had the opportunity to experience what is liek to be a DJ and played this song to the people. They were unaware of this version of JAM, but when they heard it (back in the early 90s) they started dancing on the tables and got in trance.

There are many, many other remixes and alternative versions out there, officially released and approved by MJ. When Remember The Time was released there were around 12 different remixes.

In The Closet had at least 4-5 official different maxi CDs with remixes, one of which ended up as an official alternative video on music TV channels, all approved by Michael Jackson. And some of you are unhappy with what you've got on Xscape knowing that MJ isn't here any more to give his opinion. Liking a song is a state of mind and taking into account many parameters, not only love-at-first-sight effect.

[youtube]lUSYvLSanPA[/youtube]

What?

You love the new remix, fine. Just try to accept that not everyone feel the same way.

See? It proves my point on my previous post. And even though we heard the leaked version, we're gonna support it and pay for it legally.

Sh!t I like it (A PLace with No Name)AND the demo as well. But I will say out of the 4 songs that been release Chicago is my FAVE, so far...

Who are they supposed to give the job to work on the songs? Eddie Cascio?

Yeah, we are all aware,We are just stating our opinion about the new production...

About who was supposed to give the work for, aside from your bad joke mentioning this scum Eddie , i suppose that they would have either let dr freeze do it or let Timbo do it....If you do remeember the interview he did with MJ france in 2011 when he said he updated the songs, he said that he make hem current but yet it will have the same feel...that is IMO what contemporarization ( i don't know if i spelled it even right LOOL) means.....

Not good. First song I didn't like but hopefully the next few are like the opening 3.

and the point about legality is crucial at least when you start talking about MJ's vision and his decision to never release it (i don't understand how can you be honored to have sneaked into his vault and heard something you were not permitted to hear ^^)

The legality or morality of listening or not listening to leaks has nothing to do with one's opinion about the new remix, so I'm not sure why you try to drag that discussion here.

insane track. if better or worse, i wouldn't judge by that. we get both versions anyway.

they did justice to mj.

im amazed there are quite a few who like it. worst song by far for me. hope they havent butchered slave to the rhythm.

darkmed;3998579 said:

Apologies if I missed a few post but, I do not remember Respect77 stating he/she was honored to hear APWNN. I said that I maintain that. The snippet was on CNN when I first heard it and I was honored then as I am honored anytime I can appreciate Michael’s art. Appreciating art and liking it are separate issues. The full leak happened because Sony allowed it. Nothing leaks without Sony being relaxed with security.

Again, even without hearing the demo, there is no way to get around the fact that this is a cover of HWNN. It is the lyrics that reveal that; not the mix. If Michael handed me the new lyrics on paper, I would express reservations. I believe he wrote far better songs than this cover and I would encourage him to release those instead as he did. Michael did not release APWNN and the Estate/Sony have no idea why. They only know they want to place it on Xscape because they believe it would maximize the product which will maximize the profits.

BUMPER SNIPPET;3998584 said:
And some of you are unhappy with what you've got on Xscape knowing that MJ isn't here any more to give his opinion. Liking a song is a state of mind and taking into account many parameters, not only love-at-first-sight effect.

If there are some that do not like every song on Michael’s previous cds that he worked on I do not understand how it is expected every song on a cd Michael did not work on should be deemed acceptable to everyone.

I do agree that some songs do grow on a person. There are also songs that are instant favorites and some that create instant dislike. It happens.

Yes. And that means we shouldn't tell our opinion about the new remix if it's not favourable?

I have a question for all of you. Have you actually ever witnessed MJ album releases in the past? Because I have the impression that many people tend to forget that every single, maxi cassette, maxi CD were full of remixes approved by MJ.

I don't get your point. Because MJ approved remixes we are supposed to like each and every remix ever done of his songs?

Some like it, some don't. I said already that I liked everything so far about Xscape, but I don't care for this one. Big deal. I'm still going to buy and support the album. I'm not sure why some feel that every fan should always love absolutely everything about an album.

Seriously, give it a few more listens. I was scared the first time I heard it. It WILL grow on you.

I have to agree with those who say give it a chance. I was really disappointed first listen but five times in and I kinda get it. I think this suffers because of the previous three songs one was a basic demo and two were unheard. APWNN sounded like a finished song and so this really does sound like a club remix. What I am pleased about is that so far Xscape sounds more like a cohesive album than Michael did.

im amazed there are quite a few who like it. worst song by far for me. hope they havent butchered slave to the rhythm.

Well, the first time I played it I was quite unsure of what to think of it. I've played it maybe... 5-6 times now and I do like it quite a bit more than the first time round. It has this really weird feeling to it that none of the other tracks have given me so far (and it's not a good or bad feeling, it's just... weird?). I don't know how to describe it. Overall though, I am liking it more as I play it more. It grows on you :D

If you like how STTR sounds in the Xperia Z2 ad, then you'll like STTR I'm sure :)

It's quite unbelievable how a producer could ruin this song

I saw the Xperia spot yesterday, on ProSieben, before The Simpsons played. ;) :lol:

I give up not because i'm convinced by you guys but because we need to move on we can't discuss this tastes can't be discussed while manners can and the way you voice your opinions is what i critic the most. i'm done

Good becuase you will get the demo just the way it is .. It is on the album. We cant expect the updated songs to sound just like the demos. that wouldn't make sense.

And I am glad we are getting the demos and this is one reason I am fully behind this project :) look forward to the demo in Cd quality.

I didn't expect the updated version to sound similar and I am glad they are not as then we have more different sounding songs to listen to. Having heard the song couple times in my car on way to work it does start to grow on me a little.

I wished timbaland did apwnn and stargate did loving you instead. But hey we've got more than what we could wish for. Roll on tommorow for the next track.

I would like to clear up some things, seriously.

First, I am not forcing my opinion of liking or not liking the songs on anyone.

Second, I was alarmingly scandalized when people compared the vocals on Chicago with the Cascio songs! Sorry for my French, but WTF!

Third, with all due respect to every single fan on this board there is something that we all are craving for: UNITY.

Actually, the reworked songs are not a mess as some have mentioned, WE are the mess. We are the unhappy ones. We are the whining ones. We are selfishly overcriticizing things that in reality shouldn't be criticized the way we are doing it.

I am not saying that criticism shouldn't be done, but please, let us not allow to become Roger Friedman alien species.

Here is the reality:

SHOT n°1: Before the coming of Internet, building the hype was different. Michael Jackson would release a single as a teaser then the whole album.

SHOT n°2: MJ would release short movies gradually, while the hype was still there. What was frustrating in the videos is that the versions on the videos would almost automatically be different from the album version. (= two versions of the same song), and there was no Internet for people to get quickly bored in one day by watching the video over and over again. People had to actually wait till they stumble on the video while watching the TV. (= the hype was not killed from the very start)

SHOT n°3: People would actually go out and buy the physical Maxi CD remixes and alternative versions because there was no Internet to as easily download as today. (= people would discover new versions/remixes and sometimes bonus songs approved by MJ)

SHOT n°4: The hype was built not only in among the fans' circles, but also in the clubs, hence the need for refreshed/remixed dancable-friendly versions of the songs.

Today with the Internet as the main tool for people to discover music and build the hype, we can't afford so many shots. We only have ONE DECISIVE SHOT. And this is what has been wisely done with Xscape:

SHOT n°1 (the only available shot): Association with a big corporation to boost the sales by advertizing MJ's new album via Xperia products. More precisely an album with songs which have already been made as dancable-friendly, easily accessible/leakable, with possibilities to present video projects. All this has to be presented extremely fast in order to get that hype from the very start, because there is only ONE SHOT which cannot be wasted nor miss the target.

In addition, in order to satisfy hard-core fans, the demos have been added to the release so that the fans don't get frustrated by the modernized versions.

Those parameters cannot be ignored, but as long as we live in the Internet era, we have to accept that the marketing and the way of building the hype has drastically changed.

Let us however not forget that MJ DID approve the remixes in the past, and he would most certainly approve them today. The only difference with the past is that those remixes are presented to the public differently, nevertheless in a manner that would not kill the hype. So, it would be ironic that the hype gets killed by the fans themselves only because they don't liek the remixes. It's fine not to like them, but instead of being vocal not liking them, give them a chance to be released as hits and let them hit the new public.

We need unity in this, not bickering and blindly criticizing those producers as if they were unaware of what they are doing. After the bad Cascio episode, I don't think they'll make a mistake to try to play tricks on us ever again. It's not in our interest, it's not in their interest.

Last edited:

At first listen is strange, but this is because we know the original. Sony wants to contemporize the songs to sell Xscape to the fans,but also to the new generations and casuals.
I feel that the original APWNN is great but the sound is a little dated. This is different but modern and bring the vocals to the front.
I like it because I like the fact to hear Michael sings to modern beats,and I think that it is the only way to appeal a great range of people today and sell the album in great quantities.
We,the fans,will buy the deluxe and have also the original version.No prob.
The general public will buy most likely the simple version,that is modern and sounds really like a "new" album.
I think this is the best way to manage a posthumous record.

1st listen I was not impressed. Listened a couple of more times putting the demo to the back of my head and it started to grow. The problem with songs like this is people are so familiar with the original that they expected it to be very close not a modern version of Leave Me Alone / TWYMMF

Back