Xscape General Discussion

I'm not sure the Tupac version will get solid airplay. It may create headlines briefly, but a long term airplay?

Unfortunately without creating remixes with some radio-darling artist, I don't see much hope for a big hit single.

Xscape with PAC. I really hope this happens. The song itself is great! Add in PAC and it should be a solid hit. I wish we recieved more info a head of the releases. I know Mj always kept things quiet before release but it's not the same when the estate does it. The more info they give out prior to a release would be more effective in my opinion. Look how quiet APWNN was and is before and after release. I would be surprised if there is another single.

I have to agree. The Estate have consistently been poor over release dates and other information. For instance there was confusion over whether LY was going to be the second single and when APWNN was being released and this is predated by when the BAD25 film was coming out on DVD and bluray. Or even when the video for BTM was being released for the Michael project. Fans want to help with promotion but we can only do this when we know what is coming out and when.

^^Maybe members here with direct contact with MJ Online Team can find out some information about release date. Maybe not the exact date but when can we expect the 3rd single. Also it would be smart if they read D.S. article about APWNN flop and how to avoid the mistakes they were doing.

APWNN is not doomed yet, they can still save it. Some singles out there only sneak to the mainstream after "flopping" for months and months before. Actually, many of the most succesful songs of 2014 were actually out in 2013 and weren't that big hits, I never understood what made the big difference but it's probably something the record company has done. I disagree with anyone who says Sony did all they could with that single and it's all in the hands of the radio stations, it's NOT. LNFSG got the exact boost "Place" NEEDS and it needed it less (being a duet). I don't get why they screw it.

Flopping second single is not the end of the world and it doesn't mean end of promotion. A lot of artists have successful 1st single, then second single flops and then again have very successful 3rd single. I'm not saying it's over for APWNN, but we and the Estate/Epic Records have to start thinking about 3rd single and new wave of promotion for November.

The third single will be essential for bringing the album up on the charts for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. I think it should be Chicago (maybe with Xscape remix as a bonus track - like Slave was on APWNN).

Right, exactly. I didn't mean that's what u were saying, I do believe it can surface again that's all, while I'm still looking forward to see the 3rd.

Take Back The Night = Charted decently. Averaged the top 10 worldwide
2nd single, TKO = Hardly charted at all.
3rd single, Not A Bad Thing averaged top 10. It's possible.

People may say that having Justin Timberlake on LNFSG made it chart. Partially. But mainly, it was down to the fact it was a GOOD song and fitted the chart. Be honest, APWWN is fantastic, but just doesn't fit that catchiness and doesn't have that single-like sound to it. It was repetitive and too boring to be downloaded on to people's phones. This is my opinion. I found the song brilliant, but it took sometime. I believe Chicago and STTR were the closest to fitting the chart.

It was a good idea to release it, due to it charting slightly here in the UK beforehand and America's single which began to chart. If it were to be released as a single, fans may have bought it. RELEASING SINGLES COSTS A LOT OF MONEY

RELEASING SINGLES COSTS A LOT OF MONEY

Actually releasing singles (digitally) costs nothing! Releasing physical singles cost yes, but those releases are aimed to fans and are printed in very small amount.

Well IMHO they should release a 4th single as well. They can't ignore Chicago. Chicago is a strong song. Good beat and vocals. Catchy. More from this time. STTR the same. I think that people will really love STTR even though it is not my favorite song.

Well IMHO they should release a 4th single as well. They can't ignore Chicago. Chicago is a strong song. Good beat and vocals. Catchy. More from this time. STTR the same. I think that people will really love STTR even though it is not my favorite song.

They said there will be 3 singles. Although I would love more..

It's been about 5 months since the release of Xscape and I wondered what everyone's thoughts are about it now. Do you think it's been a success? What are you expecting for the future around this project? And if you didn't like it at first donyou like it now or vice versa?

I think it's commercially successful. It's in the Top 10 best selling album of the year (even higher if we only count albums which were released this year). From a posthumus album with formerly unreleased material that is a success IMO. On the other hand, I think there could have been better promotion and it had even more potential than what was brought out of it. Promotion started promising but it's like they stopped after about two weeks which was disappointing. Hardly any promotion for APWNN, missed the opportunity on Slave To The Rhythm, too big gap between first and second single etc. It could have been made an even bigger success, but I think it's successful.

Just take a look at how artists of MJ's generation are doing these days on the charts (Prince, Mariah Carey, Bruce Springsteen etc.) - and they are still alive and can promote their stuff. So that actually makes Xscape a big success.

BTW...

Bz1ROJLCIAEFVBe.jpg

Just take a look at how artists of MJ's generation are doing these days on the charts (Prince, Mariah Carey, Bruce Springsteen etc.) - and they are still alive and can promote their stuff. So that actually makes Xscape a big success.

Bruce is doing okay isn't he? Think High Hopes went number one everywhere and was the fastest selling album this year in the UK until recently.

To me the Xscape project has been hugely successful for one reason and one reason alone: Love Never Felt So Good. This is Michael's only posthumous honest-to-god hit song. This Is It wasn't commercially released and disappeared fairly quickly. Hold My Hand made the top 10 in a lot of countries but vanished from radio almost immediately - the general public would be forgiven if they didn't even know about the song. The others are barely worth mentioning. But Love Never Felt So Good is STILL on the radio every day - at least where I live - and is up for a whole slew of awards in the coming months not to mention it's respectable chart record. This is a genuine hit record and something Michael more than deserved. Getting posthumous hit singles these days ain't as simple as it was 20 years ago so this was an impressive feat for the Estate to pull off.

I don't care much for the album or these new versions, apart from Loving You. Loving You is good enough to be admitted into Michael's back catalogue as genuine, as far as I'm concerned.

Bruce is doing okay isn't he? Think High Hopes went number one everywhere and was the fastest selling album this year in the UK until recently.

I didn't say it wasn't doing OK but it did not sell as many copies as Xscape (ie. Xscape is in the Top 10 best selling albums of the year globally and High Hopes isn't). And he is still around and still heavily promoted and promoting himself. So considering it's a posthumus album made of "left-over tracks" and from an artist who would be 56 years old this year Xscape is a big success IMO. That was my point, not to put down Springsteen or High Hopes.

I didn't say it wasn't doing OK but it did not sell as many copies as Xscape (ie. Xscape is in the Top 10 best selling albums of the year globally and High Hopes isn't). And he is still around and still heavily promoted and promoting himself. So considering it's a posthumus album made of "left-over tracks" and from an artist who would be 56 years old this year Xscape is a big success IMO. That was my point, not to put down Springsteen or High Hopes.

I don't quite get the comparison. But I agree that Xscape was successful. lol.

So Sony, for some reason, did not submit Xscape for the Grammys. I'm baffled!

Thankfully, Justin Timberlake's team has submitted LNFSG for the Record Of the Year and Pop Duo/Group categories. So hopefully the song gets nominated.

I'm confused as to why Sony didn't submit Xscape?! Even Mariah's flop album got submissions for the Album of the Year and various other categories. SMH!

Thankfully, Justin Timberlake's team has submitted LNFSG for the Record Of the Year and Pop Duo/Group categories. So hopefully the song gets nominated.

I'm confused as to why Sony didn't submit Xscape?! Even Mariah's flop album got submissions for the Album of the Year and various other categories. SMH!

Wow, they didn't? I'm baffled. Maybe Sony wants to push some other album(s) and did not want Xscape to interfere.

I don't know. Granted it likely wouldn't have won Album of the year (though it could have gotten a nomination!), but they could've submitted it for the smaller categories like R'n'B and Urban where it could've won something.

Now we have only 2 major categories(Record of the year and Pop Duo/Group) which are shaping up to be very competitive and the chances aren't going to be so big.

Shame!

How exactly that works? If the record company submits the albums, how can JT's team (whoever they are) submit LNFSG?

How exactly that works? If the record company submits the albums, how can JT's team (whoever they are) submit LNFSG?

Probably his label. He's with Sony but different label, RCA. They submitted one of his own songs and LNFSG.

Why the hell not? this makes absolutely no sense to me.

But then again this is Sony Music, you never can tell with those people.

Why the hell not? this makes absolutely no sense to me.

But then again this is Sony Music, you never can tell with those people.

Actually it is Epic Records, not Sony Music. Like serendipity said RCA is part of Sony Music also but they did submit LNFSG for 2 awards.

It didn't say who exactly made the submissions, but my best guess is it was his label. It was a Grammy voter who posted all submissions under each artist's name. And under JT's name they put the two songs (one of JT's songs and LNFSG). Then under MJ's name they put "No submissions, but see Justin Timberlake".

Either way, the fact remains that Xcsape was not submitted as an album.

Back