Xscape General Discussion

I don't know. Granted it likely wouldn't have won Album of the year (though it could have gotten a nomination!), but they could've submitted it for the smaller categories like R'n'B and Urban where it could've won something.

I would not say a Grammy in any category is small.

Michael did not get any Grammy nominations outside of R/B/Disco for DSTYGE despite it being number one on the Pop chart as well as R/B. I can understand him being upset because he was categorized despite his song going beyond the category.

Epic may not nominate any of their artists since I believe Michael outsold the living artists on their current roster. Maybe they would see that as a concern and/or embarrassment. Unfortunately, Michael is the one who suffers.

serendipity;4050454 said:
It didn't say who exactly made the submissions, but my best guess is it was his label. It was a Grammy voter who posted all submissions under each artist's name. And under JT's name they put the two songs (one of JT's songs and LNFSG). Then under MJ's name they put "No submissions, but see Justin Timberlake".

Either way, the fact remains that Xcsape was not submitted as an album.

There is actually proper reason why they didn't submit MJ and Xscape.
They knew tt won't be eligible for the Grammys as the songs were recorded over 5 years ago. All recordings must have been recorded within five years of release.

"New Recordings: The Recording Academy defines “new recordings” as material that has been recorded within five (5) years of the release date and not previously released.
• Albums must contain at least 51% playing time of new recordings and previously unreleased material. Please check the
recording dates on product before entering to avoid disqualification.
• The only categories that allow entries not newly recorded are Best Historical Album, Best Compilation Soundtrack Album,
Best Surround Sound Album, Best Remixed Recording, Best Recording Package (if package is new), Best Album Notes (if notes are new) and certain multi-disc set releases in the classical Field."
http://www.a2im.org/downloads/55_Grammy_Guidlines.pdf

Justin's team submitted LNFSG, because his part of the song is newly recorded.

Bubs;4050560 said:
There is actually proper reason why they didn't submit MJ and Xscape.
They knew tt won't be eligible for the Grammys as the songs were recorded over 5 years ago. All recordings must have been recorded within five years of release.

"New Recordings: The Recording Academy defines “new recordings” as material that has been recorded within five (5) years of the release date and not previously released.
• Albums must contain at least 51% playing time of new recordings and previously unreleased material. Please check the
recording dates on product before entering to avoid disqualification.
• The only categories that allow entries not newly recorded are Best Historical Album, Best Compilation Soundtrack Album,
Best Surround Sound Album, Best Remixed Recording, Best Recording Package (if package is new), Best Album Notes (if notes are new) and certain multi-disc set releases in the classical Field."
http://www.a2im.org/downloads/55_Grammy_Guidlines.pdf

Justin's team submitted LNFSG, because his part of the song is newly recorded.

This Is It was recorded in 1983, Epic submitted it and it was nominated for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 2011 53rd Grammy Awards.

Explain that.

Epic may not nominate any of their artists since I believe Michael outsold the living artists on their current roster. Maybe they would see that as a concern and/or embarrassment. Unfortunately, Michael is the one who suffers.

Sales have nothing to do with this. Like I pointed out flop albums received multiple submissions (e.g. Mariah Carey, Britney Spears and others). As for Epic - A Great Big World is on Epic for example and they got multiple submissions for their hit song "Say Something" with Christina Aguilera and their album (including for major categories).

Serendipity, if sales were not important, it would be the independent awards and not the Grammys.

Nice to see Epic nominated someone from there roster. Would be interesting to see if this group sold more than Michael's Xscape.

Only Epic/Sony can explain why they would deflect attention from Xscape which was one of its biggest sellers this year.

I wish Timberlake luck however it only perpetuates the myth LNFSG succeeded only because Timberlake was on the track.

This Is It was recorded in 1983, Epic submitted it and it was nominated for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 2011 53rd Grammy Awards.

Explain that.

I think you'd better ask explanation from Grammy org http://www.grammy.com/contact

I don't know what is the reason that albums cannot be nominated but vocal performance can?
Roy Orbison was posthumously nominated and won Grammy in the same category as MJ.
Maybe 5 year criteria doesn't apply for vocal performances?

I know that when label send their applications to Grammy org, all entries are checked by Grammy members and they check eligibilities, so they should know what they are doing.

Serendipity, if sales were not important, it would be the independent awards and not the Grammys.

Tygger, both under-performing AND successful albums/singles get submissions. Fact.

Nice to see Epic nominated someone from there roster. Would be interesting to see if this group sold more than Michael's Xscape.

I'm not sure why is that interesting. They had a very successful single which sold nearly 4 million copies and is certified 4x platinum. Their album isn't very successful, certainly not more successful than Xscape. They got multiple submissions for both single and album and for the Best New Artist category.

But this has nothing to do with Xscape. I just posted it to show you that Epic has made submissions for other artists.

I personally think if anything LNFSG could've been submitted for more categories than just these 2, giving it bigger chance to win something. Oh well.....

Serendipity, there is a difference between an under-performing album/single by a reasonably known artist and an independent artist. Regardless, a record company may submit such an artist for a Grammy (an independent artist would most likely only be submitted if they had better-than-expected success with a single/album) which would garners attention and promotion for the artist.

It is interesting to me if the group you mentioned sold more than Xscape because I believe it helps to explain Epic/Sony’s reasoning. I question the logic to turn attention and promotion to artists who did not outperform Xscape. Xscape did quite well in spite of some very poor decisions made to generate attention for Xscape during its promotion.

I agree with you that Xscape could have been nominated for other categories by Epic/Sony. A nomination would validate the quality of the album and keep attention on Xscape. I wonder if they would have considered Best Remix Album or if they felt that would defeat their efforts regarding the contemporized concept. Thinking long-term, it could be Epic/Sony is nurturing this other group which is fine. I do not understand the logic in not nurturing Xscape as I believe it would help future Sony products featuring Michael to be seen as quality products.

The Mobos are on tomorrow and the advert has been featuring LNFSG for some time now, i am pretty sure that there must be a reason to this. Hopefully LNFSG is nominated! and WINS!

Terry

Tygger;4051049 said:
Serendipity, there is a difference between an under-performing album/single by a reasonably known artist and an independent artist. Regardless, a record company may submit such an artist for a Grammy (an independent artist would most likely only be submitted if they had better-than-expected success with a single/album) which would garners attention and promotion for the artist.

It is interesting to me if the group you mentioned sold more than Xscape because I believe it helps to explain Epic/Sony’s reasoning. I question the logic to turn attention and promotion to artists who did not outperform Xscape. Xscape did quite well in spite of some very poor decisions made to generate attention for Xscape during its promotion.

I agree with you that Xscape could have been nominated for other categories by Epic/Sony. A nomination would validate the quality of the album and keep attention on Xscape. I wonder if they would have considered Best Remix Album or if they felt that would defeat their efforts regarding the contemporized concept. Thinking long-term, it could be Epic/Sony is nurturing this other group which is fine. I do not understand the logic in not nurturing Xscape as I believe it would help future Sony products featuring Michael to be seen as quality products.

I don't understand their logic either. The Grammys are a sales booster. Why miss such an opportunity? Maybe they have an explanation, but right now, I don't get it. You would think this being an LA Reid's project, he woulda been there submitting like crazy. LOL

BTW, Mary J Blidge is on Epic and she has several submissions too. Maybe other Epic artists have submissions too, but I have no time to check and not every artists have been posted online.

did any one recieve their place with no name single from michael jackson .com yet has it been released yet

Just saw that the Grammy nominations will be announced December 5. Fingers crossed that LNFSG will get a nom in the Pop Duo/Group category. Record of the Year will be harder to get as the competition there is huge, but it has a chance in the Duo/Group category.

There were no reports about it at the time. I think he became famous in 2010. I don't think he's real. Unless he got some track like JB.

OnirMJ;4056010 said:
Could this be real?

http://www.mtv.com/news/1988668/bob-michael-jackson-feature-new-album/

Any info about MJ working with him before he died? Is that even a possibility? It would be great if it's true. Hope the Estate allows him to release it, if it's brand new song.

I'm sorry, but who is B.o.B?

"B.o.B has had his share of huge records, with songs like “Nothin’ on You,” “Airplanes” and “Strange Clouds” on his resume. And he’s also collaborated with some musical heavyweights, from Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj to André 3000."

This bit made me :rollin:

There were no reports about it at the time. I think he became famous in 2010. I don't think he's real. Unless he got some track like JB.

Yeah, that's what I thought so. Maybe it's a sample of an old MJ song. But it would be cool if MJ recorded some new vocals for one of his tracks back in 2007-2009. I'm sure it's not MJ song feat. B.o.B because the Estate would never allow that to be released on his album (like they didn't allow will.i.am to do the same thing). But if it was meant for B.o.B's album (something like Hold My Hand was for Akon's), then it's possible that the Estate will allow it.

The ONLY reason I know who B.O.B is because in 2010 I was working on the computer and had the TV on in the other room waiting for a documentary to start. I heard this and went running in to see who it was (probably first time I did that with a singer since 1988)

And actually who I was hearing was Bruno Mars. And this video reminded me immediately of the Human Nature segment in Moonwalker. Is it Moonwalker or The Magic Returns?

This one:

Anyway, I got the impression from the interview that some kind of "Michael Jackson inspiration" occurred, not an actual song.

Last edited:
Back