Xscape General Discussion

Re: How many copies do you intend to buy?

Eh.. I guess I'm one of the only ones against this. I just feel it's wrong... Put it this way, if Michael had wanted these songs to be released, he would've a long time ago. I'm not going to buy any.. well, I'm going to try not to.. it's so tempting!!! And that's another thing, are they going to have these sh*tty colabs with Akon etc.. included in this one?! I just.. I'm torn. I really want another Michael CD and then I just feel as if it's going against what he would've wanted...

My friend I will be honest with you, there is nobody that can champion for releases being morally right or wrong. I can tell you this, unfortunately these are the conditions that we've been catapulted in to ever since 2009. I love Michael and his music too much not to wanna see him succeed even if it is in these conditions. Michael's legacy is already etched in stone nobody can argue with that but it is these types of releases that perpetuates that legacy and provide the longevity for future generation to re-discover MJ. I can promise you that Michael never in his life would have released a rehearsal where he barely performs to his fullest ability in theaters worldwide, but did that stop many of us fans from watching it? No. Even if we knew that that release didn't correlate with the way Michael operated we just wanted to see our hero sing and dance that's all. I'm not buying this because I support Sony or The Estate, I am buying this because I support Michael Jackson and his music. Period.

Listen to your heart, and if it tells you that this is wrong then you shouldn't buy it.

Last edited:

Eh.. I guess I'm one of the only ones against this. I just feel it's wrong... Put it this way, if Michael had wanted these songs to be released, he would've a long time ago. I'm not going to buy any.. well, I'm going to try not to.. it's so tempting!!! And that's another thing, are they going to have these sh*tty colabs with Akon etc.. included in this one?! I just.. I'm torn. I really want another Michael CD and then I just feel as if it's going against what he would've wanted...

Akon.. against what he would've wanted?? Michael Jackson called Akon because he wanted to work with him! Both Hold My Hand & Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'! Also Hold My Hand was amazing, not "sh*tty" at all!!

Michael had wanted these songs to be released. That is a fact! For example from previuos release: Hold My Hand, Hollywood Tonight, The Way You Love Me & Best Of Joy were on his list of songs he wanted to finish and release. But he died. He didn't release those songs because he died, not because he didn't want to release them.

MJ worked on A Place With No Name with Michael Durham Prince in 2008. Many times he returned to his old songs to finish them. I'm sure one day he would finish them and release them.

Last edited:
Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

In the meantime, somewhere in a jungle...

415_mamaandyou.jpg

Sunwalker7;3979685 said:
About ordering the album from the mj.com store - has it been confirmed that those sales count towards the official album charts? When Bad25 came out there was some uncertainty over whether the sales from mj.com were reported to Soundscan/OCC. IIRC, it was the same thing with Thriller25, some people thought that mj.com doesn’t report the sales to chart compilers.

If it’s true that mj.com doesn’t report the sales, and lots of fans order their copy from the mj.com store, it means that the album will have a lower chart peak and lower sales numbers than it would have if people bought their copies from some other store. Unless it’s confirmed that mj.com will report Xscape sales to official album charts, why not buy your copy from somewhere else? I think it’s a shame if the album looks less successful than it actually is.
Of course they report their own sales. Why would they not.. Its all computerised for them. There was no justification for the fans uncertaint y. That is nothing more than a fan rumor. The orders from MichaelJackson.com go through Sony's myplaydirect.com . If that was the case then none of the Sony artists sales are through the Sony site are recorded to soundscan.. I dont think we have to worry about that. They are not going to shoot themselves in the foot.

We already know what happened to Bad 25 sales they were charted as 2 separate albums . The standard went toward original Bad Sales the deluxe was and collectors case Charted as a separate album. thats why nubbers were lower. That won't be the case here.

The Estate also stated that ALL versions of Xscape will go toward the charts for the Album. I asked them because of what happened with BAD25. Xscape isn't charting toward any anniversary Album so all versions sold chart. _ They all have the same SKU

Just thinking about Xscape... :D

Sunwalker7;3979685 said:
About ordering the album from the mj.com store - has it been confirmed that those sales count towards the official album charts? When Bad25 came out there was some uncertainty over whether the sales from mj.com were reported to Soundscan/OCC. IIRC, it was the same thing with Thriller25, some people thought that mj.com doesn’t report the sales to chart compilers.

If it’s true that mj.com doesn’t report the sales, and lots of fans order their copy from the mj.com store, it means that the album will have a lower chart peak and lower sales numbers than it would have if people bought their copies from some other store. Unless it’s confirmed that mj.com will report Xscape sales to official album charts, why not buy your copy from somewhere else? I think it’s a shame if the album looks less successful than it actually is.

Please Ivy or some other mods, can you please check this out with Online Team. I'm interested in this too.

I'm not buying this because I support Sony or The Estate, I am buying this because I support Michael Jackson and his music. Period.

Exactly. We are Michael Jackson community, not Sony or Estate community. All MJ fans should support this release.

Fun Fact of the day - Tabloid Junkie is sped up about 4.16% on the album, this was to make sure the album fit on a 74 minute CD.

Not saying you are lying lol, but i personally find this hard to believe when he had a 2 odd minute intro to Little Susie, 20 seconds of rain on Stranger In Moscow and the blurb before and after the main HIStory song - There just seems many, many, many more options Michael would have taken before speeding up a song, unless he preferred it.

In the meantime, somewhere in a jungle...

415_mamaandyou.jpg

Oh my goodness!! Thanks for inserting that in the middle of complaints. Shouldn't the baby have a copy of the Xscape cover in the other hand--nipple one hand & Xscape other hand. I am sure the animals want to get in on this too!! Xscape is for all!!!

qbee;3979741 said:
Of course they report their own sales. Why would they not.. Its all computerised for them. There was no justification for the fans uncertaint y. That is nothing more than a fan rumor. The orders from MichaelJackson.com go through Sony's myplaydirect.com . If that was the case then none of the Sony artists sales are recorded to soundscan.. I dont think we have to worry about that. They are not going to shoot themselves in the foot.

We already know what happened to Bad 25 sales they were charted as 2 separate albums . The standard went toward original Bad Sales the deluxe was and collectors case Charted as a separate album. thats why nubbers were lower. That won't be the case here.

The Estate also stated that ALL versions of Xscape will go toward the charts for the Album. I asked them because of what happened with BAD25. Xscape isn't charting toward any anniversary Album so all versions sold chart. _ They all have the same SKU
Sometimes the sales from an artist’s website aren’t reported. I don’t know why, it doesn’t make sense to me either. But for example on the website for my country’s album chart there’s a list of stores that are included in the charts. If a store is not on that list, sales from that store don’t count towards the chart. If I bought the album from mj.com, I don’t think it would count towards the chart in my country.

And no, the confusion about Bad25’s sales wasn’t over Billboard’s decision to have the two versions chart separately. The discussion started over sales reports in the UK, according to which only a ridiculously low number of Bad25 box sets were sold in the UK. People questioned those numbers, because Bad25 was mostly intended for diehard fans, who would be more likely to buy the box set rather than the regular album. It didn’t make sense that only 1 % of the UK Bad25 sales were from the box sets. Back then people speculated, as one possible explanation for the weird sales numbers, that fans bought their box sets from mj.com, which weren’t reported to OCC. Of course, another explanation would be that the reported sales numbers were just plain wrong, or there was some other mistake or misunderstanding somewhere. But whatever it was, it’s a totally different issue than having two album versions chart separately on Billboard 200.

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing that the sales from mj.com definitely aren’t reported. I genuinely don’t know. All I know is that there has been some uncertainty and confusion over that, and I’d love to have some real facts on this.

I think it will sell great.

Maybe even 3+ million copies before years end...

In my opinion Bad25 sales were low because they were low. It was anniversary reissue and not that good in my opinion (VHS, Pitbull..). This project is completely different because it is a new album and for now it looks like project without a flaw (first since This Is It) so the sales will be good.

I think if you buy album from michaeljackson.com (if those sales are counted) those sales will be reported in US, same with amazon.us or amazon.uk on UK chart. No matter from which country are you buying it.

Please Ivy or some other mods, can you please check this out with Online Team. I'm interested in this too.

sure i will ask them . But i have a question first . Why would anyone question or think that Sony dooesn't report the sales of their own artist to soundscan etc. so they can chart . When not doing that would benefit them in any way. I guess I don't even understand why that would even be questioned ? I will ask but I'm going to feel foolish doing so. .. like Duh !

I will also ask if all sales from MichaelJackson.com/Myplaydirect. go towards USA chart. or is it reported to the the the countries that it is purchased from and show on that chart? .

I think it will sell great.

Maybe even 3+ million copies before years end...

Me too, but people who talk about it have to go out and buy it. Some people create negative campaigns and spread it in the thread and on the internet. I am sure such efforts are not going to help sales. Hopefully, we get some good official advertising which will bring news of the album throughout all the continents.

Last edited:

Me too, but people who talk about it have to go out and buy it. Some people create negative campaigns and spread it in the thread and on the internet. I am sure such efforts are not going to help sales. Hopefully, we get some good official advertising which will bring news of the album throughout all the continents.

That's what I did, I went out and bought it at the third hand flea market.

sure i will ask them . But i have a question first . Why would anyone question or think that Sony dooesn't report the sales of their own artist to soundscan etc. so they can chart . When not doing that would benefit them in any way. I guess I don't even understand why that would even be questioned ? .

It could have to do with a rule that sales of the company's own web pages will not be counted or recognized for chart systems because the danger of manupulating maybe be greater. I don`t know if such a rule exists.

Qbee about feeling foolish, it is just a typical behavior where an unfounded rumor that defies logic is spread--then some believe in it--then they ask for information to clarify the rumor--then they receive information to clarify the rumor--then they don't believe the clarifying information and ask back for clarifying information. Nothing new, so don't feel foolish.

Bumper does that mean you are not interested in this release?

sure i will ask them . But i have a question first . Why would anyone question or think that Sony dooesn't report the sales of their own artist to soundscan etc. so they can chart . When not doing that would benefit them in any way. I guess I don't even understand why that would even be questioned ? I will ask but I'm going to feel foolish doing so. .. like Duh !

I will also ask if all sales from MichaelJackson.com/Myplaydirect. go towards USA chart. or is it reported to the the the countries that it is purchased from and show on that chart? .

It's ok to feel foolish. I wish I could feel foolish.

^^True. By the time the album comes out there will be more opportunities to feel foolish.

Here's my album I bought at the third-hand flea market:

michael-jackson-xscape-deluxe-cover-ddotomen.jpg

And here's the tracklist:

1 - One day in your life
2 - We're almost there
3 - Farewel my summer love
4 - Jump for joy
5 - Shout
6 - Niteline
7 - Trouble
8 - Hurt

^^I love Shout and One day in your life too.
________
Anyone else like me who have not listened to any leaks and do not know what any of those songs on the album sound like? I know I am going to be super exited in May!!

And you earned it yourself - i'd also be if i were you.
You are in for a great treat, those songs all have hit potential & to me are some of his best. Never understood how some of them didn't make it on Invincible. And i couldn't believe that Xscape was not on the MICHAEL release...

But i don't know if i could comprehend more excitement..
I know the leaked songs. But always listened sparingly to them, knowing we would eventually get them officially & in great quality. I wanted to keep them fresh to my ears. And since the announcement came i did not listen to any of the six. They are one klick away & it's pretty hard, but i won't listen anymore before 05/13.

Wowhd is having a sale today, with a 15 % discount if you buy 3 items or more. Since their prices is allready quite cheap, it's possible to get a really good deal.

My order:

Michael Jackson - Xscape (Deluxe Edition) CD £9.99
Multibuy Discount for online order -£2.55
Mission Impossible (Blu-ray) Blu-ray - Region B £3.49
Mission Impossible 2 (Blu-ray) Blu-ray - Region B £3.49
Total: £ 14.42

Ok I contacted Both, Mjonline and Myplaydirect off from Michaeljackson.com site to ask if they report there sales to soundscan etc. for the charts ..... and if all sales from mydircetplay/Michaeljackson.com go toward charts in USA where it is shipped from or toward the country who purchased it?

You are getting the original demos of these songs; so you will hear how Michael left those songs. And then if you like you can listen to the new produced songs. Come on, as a fan, how can you not buy this one! Believe me, the estate is doing a great job with this one, and I really believe Michael would have approved. This is continuing Michael's legacy, and I do know Michael wanted that.

One thing I am sure of is that Michael wanted his fans happy, and right now we are beyond happy!

I live in Australia, and I cannot order from the MJ Store, and it seems as if others are in the same boat. I'm very disappointed with MJ.com, I received an email as I am on the newsletter list saying that I could order there, but I can't. For me it's not even in the store :(

You can always order from Amazon.com

Back