Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

So who wants the announcement of the first single? I pray for tomorrow!

MattyJam;3979912 said:
I think fans need to stop treating this as if it were a proper new MJ album. It's different now. Realistically we are looking at "Michael" style sales figures.

Michael is a legacy artist now. As much as the estate keep trying to contemporise his older music, MJ cannot compete in a commercial way with the likes of Timberlake, Beyoncé and other big name stars anymore. Being dead is quite a handicap.

i understand what you are saying, it will never be the same But. Given the great state of these songs considering the vocals were 100% finished and perfect then these songs with the right production can be just as strong as anybody's and with proper promotion and support from the fan base they could soar. Whether Michael is here or not those songs stand on their own, if the song is great ppl are not going to dismiss it because he is not here. Anyway that is how I see it .

i understand what you are saying, it will never be the same But. Given the great state of these songs considering the vocals were 100% finished and perfect then these songs with the right production can be just as strong as anybody's and with proper promotion and support from the fan base they could soar. Whether Michael is here or not those songs stand on their own, if the song is great ppl are not going to dismiss it because he is not here. Anyway that is how I see it .

That's just it though... I don't think LNFSG is a good enough song to release. And I love early 80s Triumph-Thriller era outtakes (I was one of the few fans that loved the song This Is It). But LNFSG is just bland IMO. And as they say, you can't polish a turd.

I pre-ordered the physical deluxe cd!

That's just it though... I don't think LNFSG is a good enough song to release. And I love early 80s Triumph-Thriller era outtakes (I was one of the few fans that loved the song This Is It). But LNFSG is just bland IMO. And as they say, you can't polish a turd.

Surely we should wait until we have heard what they have done with it before we dismiss it. Reviews make it sound like it has had a major overhaul.

As far a NFSG not being good enough for the album I can see where u might be coming from because it does so in incomplete in a way that I can't imagine the vocals not sounding like a demo but ill jave to say of most demos and songs that jave been leaked in my own personal experience non fans love this song over others..

Theres something about this song (though unpolished) that the everyday person grabs onto. Its catchy and has a sound that a vas range of peopke enjoy..

Realistically we are looking at "Michael" style sales figures.

I don't see how this release can even be compared with MICHAEL. Half of the fanbase were boycotting that release. Media reviews were much worse. Even some regular music listeners didn't buy it because of the controversy. This time sales are going to be much higher than 2,5 M worldwide.

are we talking u.s numbers or worldwide. Because worldwide I truly feel it ca sell 3 million +. Maybe in the u.s 1million

Worldwide. There's no way it's gonna happen.

The negative: I really resent the inclusion of Love Never Felt So Good. Not only is the song distinctly average, but also, it is only being included because of a business agreement between John McClain and Paul Anka after Anka got screwed over the royalties for TII. I resent that the estate are making these kind of deals with songwriters and producers. The decisions about what to release should be based on the strength and quality of Michael's work, not anything else.

That isn't why it's being included. There was no business agreement between Paul and the estate, other than giving half of the songs royalties to the former. John McClain is very fond of the song and wanted it released back in 2010.

Promotion doesn't matter. What many people fail to understand is that public opinion of Michael, even in death, is low. Many people simply won't buy it because it's Michael Jackson and won't give it a chance; promotion won't change that. Proper promotion will, however, alert the actual fans, some of whom will buy it. Thinking that it will sell three million worldwide by years end is unrealistic. One or two million is extremely plausible.

I have a slightly off-topic question.

Knowing that 1Pa (one pascal) = 1N² (one newton)², if Newton and Pascal were playing hide-and-seek when they were kids, and if Newton drew a square around himself and stood in it, can we consider that finding Newton in the square would be the same as if we stumbled on Pascal (who probably hid himself somewhere else)?

Two random thoughts about the tracklist... One positive, one negative...

The positive: I am so glad that, after all these years, the song Xscape is finally getting a commercial release. I always felt that song was too strong to just simply exist on Youtube in bad quality forever.

The negative: I really resent the inclusion of Love Never Felt So Good. Not only is the song distinctly average, but also, it is only being included because of a business agreement between John McClain and Paul Anka after Anka got screwed over the royalties for TII. I resent that the estate are making these kind of deals with songwriters and producers. The decisions about what to release should be based on the strength and quality of Michael's work, not anything else.

That deal with Anka is just a rumour. If there is such agreement between those two why Anka didn't request it to be on the first album?

Also in my opinion the song is not that bad. I like it. You must understand that the leaked Demo is from an old cassette and this time we'll get vocals, demo and new mix directly from the multitracks (probably provided by Anka).

Last edited:

Many people simply won't buy it because it's Michael Jackson and won't give it a chance; promotion won't change that.

How could Michael sell 50 Million records after his death.

Michaels image has changed in general puplic. You will not read articles anymore that call him the self-claimed King of Pop.

They call him King of Pop, music-icon, legend.

And as they say, you can't polish a turd.

I wouldn't call LNFSG a turd. But Tricky Stewart proved that a diamond can be turned into turd with Slave To The Rhythm. So I think Michael's "turd" CAN be polished into maybe not a diamond but surely something better than Rihanna's, Justin Bieber's or Katy Perry's "hits".

Last edited:

That's not going to happen. Michael's star has fallen significantly since his death and, in full honesty, he's no match for people like Justin Timberlake or Bruno Mars or even Lil Wayne (to a degree). At best, Xscape will sell between one and 1.5 million copies by years end. Two million? Possibly. But three million is not going to happen no matter how much we want it to.

I don't know about that. I pay attention to sales trends and I used to pitch edits for years on Wikipedia's various MJ related pages.

One thing I've learned is that sales have little to do with star power and more to do with promotion to the general public (moms, dads, children...etc.) This is an undeniable fact.

With smooth promotion and excellent funding this album can easily sell what you projected in the USA alone.

Seems like Sony actually wants to be rewarded for this release- judging by what I can see thus far.

At this point, I project 5 mill ww. With huge numbers in the UK.

P.S We have to remember that this is an unpredictable posthumous release. Why compare him to modern day stars? Two of the artists you named follow Michael's musical formula to a T so I guess it sorta shows his star is still shining bright. LOL

As much as it's true to say Michael can't compete the same way with living current acts, it's also ridiculous saying Michael can't match them. I mean, he makes more money than any of them. Even with all the controversy, MICHAEL sold 3.5 millions if I'm not mistaken. USA is not the whole world, it's impossible to predict the sales number but I'm pretty sure Xscape will do well.

MattyJam;3979912 said:
I think fans need to stop treating this as if it were a proper new MJ album. It's different now. Realistically we are looking at "Michael" style sales figures.

Michael is a legacy artist now. As much as the estate keep trying to contemporise his older music, MJ cannot compete in a commercial way with the likes of Timberlake, Beyoncé and other big name stars anymore. Being dead is quite a handicap.

Um...some of the greatest selling albums of all time are posthumous releases.

as much as it's true to say michael can't compete the same way with living current acts, it's also ridiculous saying michael can't match them. I mean, he makes more money than any of them. Even with all the controversy, michael sold 3.5 millions if i'm not mistaken. Usa is not the whole world, it's impossible to predict the sales number but i'm pretty sure xscape will do well.

2,5 mil.

That's just it though... I don't think LNFSG is a good enough song to release. And I love early 80s Triumph-Thriller era outtakes (I was one of the few fans that loved the song This Is It). But LNFSG is just bland IMO. And as they say, you can't polish a turd.[

i originally did not want LNFSG in the album, but it seems from reviews they really did a great job with it. And I went back and heard the one by Johnny Mathis and I liked the song in general and with michael's vocals it will change the song. If you liked "this is it" well I don't see that it would be a stretch for you to like this one with new production. Keep an open mind. I like tii but this could be much better!

As much as it's true to say Michael can't compete the same way with living current acts, it's also ridiculous saying Michael can't match them. I mean, he makes more money than any of them. Even with all the controversy, MICHAEL sold 3.5 millions if I'm not mistaken. USA is not the whole world, it's impossible to predict the sales number but I'm pretty sure Xscape will do well.

People are forgetting this. His circus tribute show is grossing more than actual modern pop star tours.

The album release was everywhere; Sky News, BBC World, CNN Breaking, AlJazeera, Yahoo, every music magazine whether pop or rock, gossip rags etc. I can't say the same for everyone else in the industry. People wanna see how it fairs next to 'Michael'.

P.S MJ's work (without any new releases) sold 7 million units during 2013. That's ridiculous.

I am already a big fan of LNFSG and I haven't heard it in CDQuality yet!! :woohoo:

Now you have to imagine this great hiphop beat of blue-gangster in CDQ and Xscape, etc.....! I really cant wait for the original Versions in that quality :) and I am also very excicted about the newly mixed version

I always ask myself why I am so crazy about a few songs of one artist, but who cares

btw I made a crazy Trap-Remix of Blue Gangsta: Listen here! ;)

With proper promotion and all involved giving it the best they've got, I can see this album doing extremely well.

I'm rooting for this project, no time for any negativity or doubts.

How could Michael sell 50 Million records after his death.

Michaels image has changed in general puplic. You will not read articles anymore that call him the self-claimed King of Pop.

They call him King of Pop, music-icon, legend.

:yes:

Promotion doesn't matter. What many people fail to understand is that public opinion of Michael, even in death, is low. Many people simply won't buy it because it's Michael Jackson and won't give it a chance; promotion won't change that. Proper promotion will, however, alert the actual fans, some of whom will buy it. Thinking that it will sell three million worldwide by years end is unrealistic. One or two million is extremely plausible.

With all due respect but Michael's image on the contrary has improved for the better it is certainly not low. Xscape. Will sell sell around 3million IMO worldwide with proper promotion. I just think your perception of Michael is very low.

Who can tell me how many units "Michael"sold.

MattyJam;3979912 said:

Maybe people who don´t use to like todays music will like the songs and buy the album.

P.S MJ's work (without any new releases) sold 7 million units during 2013. That's ridiculous.

Not to be a p***-popper or anything, but do you have any sources for this?

Um...some of the greatest selling albums of all time are posthumous releases.

But those are usually greatest hits albums, not albums with previously unreleased material.

Also people have to consider the current state of the music industry. Sales are generally at an all time low. With Internet downloads, Spotify etc. people do not really buy records any more, especially albums. I agree that it's better to keep our expectations in check. If we set the bar too high there's a bigger chance for disappointment.

i originally did not want LNFSG in the album, but it seems from reviews they really did a great job with it. And I went back and heard the one by Johnny Mathis and I liked the song in general and with michael's vocals it will change the song. If you liked "this is it" well I don't see that it would be a stretch for you to like this one with new production. Keep an open mind. I like tii but this could be much better!

I agree. LNFSG is not the strongest song but I would not call it "turd". Especially compared to This Is It. IMO they are about the same level. I actually always loved LNFSG for its charm.

People buy because it IS michael Jackson. The complete opposite of the comment above...the 'michael' albums sold fairly well and thats with low promotion and controversy that started boycotts against buying the album..
1. MJ fan base is large, they will give a sale number that is decent just became its michael jackson..

2. Michaels acceptance after his death is totally different than it was before. Anyone that thinks otherwise lives under a rock.. I can give many examples of things that have changed if I have to.

3. People buy/listen to good music. It doesnt matter who it is!! That has been shown ocer and over again - art sells not the artists life behind it..

There will always be a minority of people that are bitter and won't buy cuz this or thatut thats with everyone..

Never count out Michael Jackson. :)

So much talk about how much this and that sold and will sell, charts, earnings, blah, blah, blah, I don't get the constant obsession with this. Let the people who are working on this think about this - they are the ones who are getting your money in their pockets

It will be so nice to have Xscape, DYKWYCA, BG, APWNN and STTR (original demo!) in true 320 kbps. It will change the way we have heard the songs before. I so curious about how STTR will sound. I just can't imagine any late 80s/early 90s sounds to it, but I'm sure I'll be impressed.

Back