Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Review @pg8

QUESTIONS: When the bodyguards talk about Michael during the time when they did not work for him, do they say who their source is? Did they say how they got access to his financial papers? Was one of them his personal assistant and thus was able to get personal papers?

they only talk about the time they work for him.The book is just covers December 2006 - June 2009 and doesn't really have much detail about 2009 as MJ was in LA and they were in Vegas. When MJ came back to US, he came back with his kids, nanny Grace, kids teacher and a personal assistant. Bain was his manager but in DC. Bill gets hired as security and Javon gets hired shortly after. Michael's assistant gets fired and Bill starts acting like the middleman for Michael. In other words he starts getting phonecalls, emails, faxes, documents to sign etc. So that's how he gets to see the details of the business, financials etc. Plus what he's being told by other people that work for Michael. Later Michael Amir Williams comes and takes that role over so Bill's access and involvement reduces and if anything comes to him he forwards it to Michael Amir.

they only talk about the time they work for him.The book is just covers December 2006 - June 2009 and doesn't really have much detail about 2009 as MJ was in LA and they were in Vegas. When MJ came back to US, he came back with his kids, nanny Grace, kids teacher and a personal assistant. Bain was his manager but in DC. Bill gets hired as security and Javon gets hired shortly after. Michael's assistant gets fired and Bill starts acting like the middleman for Michael. In other words he starts getting phonecalls, emails, faxes, documents to sign etc. So that's how he gets to see the details of the business, financials etc. Plus what he's being told by other people that work for Michael. Later Michael Amir Williams comes and takes that role over so Bill's access and involvement reduces and if anything comes to him he forwards it to Michael Amir.

Ahh so that is it. Thanks. Now I understand the dynamic there. They talked about the lack of friends coming by after 05, so did they mention how Michael tried to deal with that?

Just reading the summary, I can feel they cared about Michael. You know people say that Michael wasn't normal yet he wanted to give his kids everything that all other kids had and he did his best to do the things most people do in his own way. He had a hard time and he kept his family together and he should be respected for that. Michael was a lot stronger than most people give him credit for.

So anyone in the family had to make an appt to see Michael? Only Katherine could come anytime. I think I have heard that before somewhere else but can't remember from where it came from.

F-ck man............... I hate that, all those "friends" just abandoning him. -_-

ivy;3973223 said:
"As we drove back to the house, everyone was being real quiet in the backseat. Then Blanket looked up at his daddy and said, “Daddy, can we go back to the other house? Can we go back to Neverland?” Mr. Jackson shook his head and said, “No. We can’t ever go back there. That place has been contaminated by evil.

:boohoo: I had a feeling that Michael had to explain that to his children, but to actually read it in print is just heartbreaking. :(

I'm glad to see Michael did have some happy moments though, and I'm also curious as to which friends stopped talking to him. Do they give any hints as to who they were? We already know who kept in touch with him, and I'm thankful that they did.

Re: Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days

Does the book mention the bodyguards hearing Michael out of falsetto at ANY time?

or prince the singer?

What a prick Randall! :angry: I used to think Michael got sick that day and couldn't go to Liz's birthday party. That's the price pay for being surrounded by vultures. It was sad to read Michael's "friends" abandoning him, :( if he couldn't see Liz, I hope they kept in touch by phone calls at least.

What I don't get is how someone so incompetent like Raymone Bain worked with Michael many years if she didn't do her work. Than you do much for the summary Ivy!

Amaya;3973291 said:
I'm also curious as to which friends stopped talking to him. Do they give any hints as to who they were?

No. That comes from a talk with Grace. The bodyguards and Grace used to work out of the garage of the house. Grace complain that Michael asked her to reach to somebody and she was leaving messages to this person but they weren't returning her calls. That's when she mentions how some people just cut their communications with Michael during/after 2005 trial. And how they had a party after the verdict but not many people showed up.

Dilan;3973292 said:
Does the book mention the bodyguards hearing Michael out of falsetto at ANY time?

not really. just that Michael changed his voice over the phone not to be recognized.

or prince the singer?

Michael goes to Walmart incognito when he was staying in Virginia. They get suspicious as his face was covered, cops were called and people were curious who that person is. Bodyguards say "It's Prince" to the cops and people around and they leave. Michael asks them what happened when they are in the car and they say we told that you were Prince. Michael laughs and say “No wonder they left us alone.”

ivy;3973301 said:
Michael goes to Walmart incognito when he was staying in Virginia. They get suspicious as his face was covered, cops were called and people were curious who that person is. Bodyguards say "It's Prince" to the cops and people around and they leave. Michael asks them what happened when they are in the car and they say we told that you were Prince. Michael laughs and say “No wonder they left us alone.”

:lmao: made my day

Thank you for the review as well as quotes Ivy <3

Michael was driven out of his home that he put so much time and effort in. A place he felt safe and happy. I don't know who abandoned Michael. I am glad he had his kids with him to keep him going.

The Prince/Walmart story is funny.

^^Funny. If they said Michael there would be a bigger crowd with people wanting autographs. Sad about the party after where not much showed up. Anyway that was no time for a party; just pack your bags and clear out of that place. The way "friends" acted during the trial, was an indication as to how they would act after the trial, to me. His name was already sullied and that is what his so called friends looked at.

Ivy is most of the book about inter-personal relationships and family life or is it fifty fifty that and business/work issues?

I remember Tom Messereau saying that he remembers reaching out to people to support Michael and they turned their backs. Then when he died he saw these people on tv crying and such. It's irritating and sad at the same time.

Apparently, seems to be a enjoyable read, of someone who might have the chance to meet and mingle with someone lovely, even limited by the rules of the employment relationship.

I love these narratives and by the small transcript until gives to believe that everything is true.

Many people should know adorable stories about Michael, things that has immeasurable value to the fans who will never have the chance to spend even a minute with him in private. Unfortunately, not everyone can share free of charge but if they do in heart and respectable way, without taking sides, just telling to us the story, i think very valid.

Thanks for sharing! I have read most books on Michael Jackson! This seems like a good book! I'm waiting and hoping that one day Michael's children would like to write a book about what a great father and life Michael has/had! That would be awesome!

The book has several heartwarming, funny and interesting and at times unbelievable stories. Michael Jackson the father is always nice to read. His interactions with his children, their love towards each other gives you warm feelings. So stuff like Michael doing laundry, Michael taking his kids to Chuck E. Cheese, fast food drive through events, after hour store visits to toy stores, go kart place, Krispy Kreme to see how donuts are made, Michael giving responsibility talk to Prince about his dog Kenya, Blanket asking for a hippopotamus as a pet after Prince got his dog Kenya and Paris got her cat Katie, Michael giving money and food to homeless people,ordering a large Tinkerbell statue from eBay, asking bodyguards to get(cough steal) a lifesize Spiderman figurines on the lampposts outside Burger King stores, Michael getting stopped by Secret Service as his car with tinted windows drove around White House etc is interesting and fun stories to read. The book also mentions visits by "Friend" and "Flower", two woman from overseas and yes Michael kissing "Friend". I don't want to give much away for the people who might buy the book.

First off, thank you so much ivy, for your review of this book. I was worried (as I'm sure many others were/are) that this was a book written to exploit Michael's private affairs, but I do not get the feeling that this was the case. It seems- to me anyway- that they are trying to show people that he was in fact, just a regular person like you or me. His life was completely out of control, I get that, but as a person, as a human being, Michael had the same hopes and dreams and desires as the rest of us. Even the same troubles- financial troubles, family troubles, troubles with friends. These are things we all experience at least once in our lives at some point, and Michael was certainly no different.

Anyhow, I love how the book mentions that he would "get" the life-size figurines from the BK lamp posts. I used to work at a fast food restaurant (KFC), and one time we received a package full of promotional materials, of which one item was a life-size cardboard figurine of Colonel Sanders. We always hated that thing because when we would be leaving late at night, as we walked through the lobby, all we could see was this human figure standing in a dark corner. Finally, having been scared by it enough times, one of the girls I worked with stole Col. Sanders, and he was never seen or heard from again :lol:

Ivy is most of the book about inter-personal relationships and family life or is it fifty fifty that and business/work issues?

Most of the book is about bodyguards daily interactions with Michael, his kids and the people that work for him. It is in a conversational language and almost reads like you are sitting with Bill and Javon and they tell you about their day. The first year - 2007 - is filled with a lot of interactions with Michael and his kids. 2008 -when all the business deals or negotiations started - are a lot more business related interactions. Stuff from 2009 - when Michael moved to LA- is not much as I said now Michael Amir took over and Bill and Javon were in Vegas majority of the time.

I was worried (as I'm sure many others were/are) that this was a book written to exploit Michael's private affairs, but I do not get the feeling that this was the case.

I didn't get the feeling that this was exploitation. I personally love such positive stories and stories that show Michael as a regular and loving person. But I do realize that it is possible for some to think this is invasion of privacy. Everyone would have their own preference in this regard.

We will be reaching out to both Bill and Javon for a Q&A for the fans so watch this space for some extra on this book.

I've read it and it does nothing but paint Michael in a positive light thus for me personally I encourage any fan to read this.

^^Thanks Ivy Do you think that conversational way in which they wrote the book would cause more people to buy it. It does sound like the type of book you can curl up on a couch and read in comfort. Did a famous person or friend of Michaels's write the foreword or introduction? When you got your advance copy, did you get information about any appearances on tv.

I hope they get more sales than Randall.

Spyce thanks for the laugh about the figure in the corner. It sounds like something I would do too. I know that during my teen years when I would visit England, I used to steal the roses from people's gardens in the night, and put them in my cousin's house, because the roses in England are very big.

ivy;3973301 said:
No. That comes from a talk with Grace. The bodyguards and Grace used to work out of the garage of the house. Grace complain that Michael asked her to reach to somebody and she was leaving messages to this person but they weren't returning her calls. That's when she mentions how some people just cut their communications with Michael during/after 2005 trial. And how they had a party after the verdict but not many people showed up.

not really. just that Michael changed his voice over the phone not to be recognized.

Michael goes to Walmart incognito when he was staying in Virginia. They get suspicious as his face was covered, cops were called and people were curious who that person is. Bodyguards say "It's Prince" to the cops and people around and they leave. Michael asks them what happened when they are in the car and they say we told that you were Prince. Michael laughs and say &#8220;No wonder they left us alone.&#8221;

If what Grace told was true, what a bunch of hypocrites! My poor thing Michael, if any of us would had had the chance to be his friends we would have never abandon him. Madonna was right on her tribute speech she made in September, 2009:

When I first heard that Michael had died, I was in London, days away from the start of my tour. Michael was going to perform in the same venue as me a week later. All I could think about in this moment was, "I had abandoned him." That we had abandoned him. That we had allowed this magnificent creature who had once set the world on fire to somehow slip through the cracks.While he was trying to build a family and rebuild his career, we were all passing judgement. Most of us had turned our backs on him.
:boohoo:

Thank you for the Prince story, it cracked me up and I needed that. Are there more funny stories?

Last edited:
I wonder if the Q & A will have the same questions like the ones in the thread where the fans asked the bodyguards questions?

Is the book still coming out in June are is it going to be earlier.

Thank you Ivy. Nothing surprising here, although Randy story is as ugly as it gets.

And thank you for the poignant quotes...

ivy;3973301 said:

Ah okay... probably good that they didn't give any names. That thing about the party is just... :cry:

Oh gosh. XD That is pretty damn funny. Also, Michael in a Walmart sounds very cute for some reason. :wub:

Thanks Ivy, great review.

"Blanket asking for a hippopotamus as a pet after Prince got his dog Kenya and Paris got her cat Katie, Michael giving money and food to homeless people,ordering a large Tinkerbell statue from eBay, asking bodyguards to get(cough steal) a lifesize Spiderman figurines on the lampposts outside Burger King stores"

Aaw, Blanket asking hippo as pet instead of cat or dog :D

As for Randy, he still knows when to call the press and leaking information.

About not going back to Neverland is so sad:-(

MJ's money problems was hard to read. During the AEG trial, they brought up notes, in which MJ wrote that from now on he wants to sign the checks over 5 thousands, clad to see he was on the road taking control of his money issues.

Ya' got to give credit where credit is due. Raymond Bain was in the process of suing Michael Jackson at the time of his death. She wanted $40 million. So because of this I've always been ambivalent towards Ms. Bain, having mixed feelings, when it comes to Michael.

At least with the bodyguards version of events, Ms. Bain should make for a more refined description, because she will have to 'set matters straight,' concerning what the bodyguards are accusing her of!

bain7_portrait.jpg

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source/2009/05/rs-jackson7.html

ivy;3973223 said:
Randy crashing the gate: Details of the event is provided in the book. It turns out the gate crashing event happened on Elizabeth Taylor's 75th birthday. Her people had reached out to Michael and he would attend her birthday as a surprise to her. Michael spent 2 weeks preparing to that day. Before they were supposed to leave for Taylor's birthday, bodyguards take the car to fill it with gas. When the bodyguard returns, Randy follows the car, crashes the closing gate, forces his way into the property. Bodyguards rush to the car with their guns out and see Randy with a woman passenger. Randy tells them "Get that gun out my face before I call the press.” and screaming and cursing “Michael owe me money! I want my ****in’ money! I ain’t ****in’ moving ’til I get my ****in’ money! ”. They tell Michael that Randy is there and what he's saying, he tells the bodyguard to get rid of him. But they can't make him leave so Michael decides he won't go to Elizabeth's birthday and goes to bed. Randy refused to leave and stayed at the driveway for hours. Bodyguards had to call Joe Jackson. When Joe came Randy told him he would call the press to tell them he was there for his money. Joe eventually convinced Randy to leave.

Where is Tina Turner when you need her?

tina_turner_pistol2011-med-big-ver.jpg

As for Randy, he still knows when to call the press and leaking information.

Typical of him and his other useless siblings. MJ did not want to see any of them. and now they have the nerve to claim they were all close.

Back