Dangerous Tour Leotard - Love it or hate it

Dangerous Tour Leotard - Love it or hate it

• Love It

Votes: 246 62.3%
  • Hate It

Votes: 149 37.7%

• Total voters
haha i love it! as i wrote in another thread only michael could wear this and still look so sexy! :)

I cannot put into words how much I detest that outfit and always have since first seeing it back in '93. I've always been like the others here who said they had a hard time watching the first half of the concert.

When I was a little girl i used to cringe at it... not I think it's pretty cool, only Michael could get away with wearing something like that and look sexy and amazing!

indeed only Mike can pull it off haha! It grew on me over the years. Frist I was like :O but now I am like :D LOLLL

I think it looks really good. It's eye-catching and unique, and I think that's part of what MJ was all about.

I could not disagree with you all above more.

Michael was not about gratuitous sexual ambiguity or "weirdness" for the sake of seeming 'unique". Michael was a unique character for sure, but he was not a guy looking for more folks to call him "weird". He was an eternal kid and I seriously doubt he knew what this outfit would look like to millions of people around the world. I truly believe he was not trying to look controversial or "sexual" in any way at all. I just think he saw a fencing outfit and thought it would look cool on stage....just like a little kid he jumped on something thinking it would look "rad". I truly believe this. Mike was an innocent soul.

But, in addition to what I've said....the truth is...this outfit came along at the worst time. Those first false accusations came along from the Chandler's. And this outfit only made the lies SEEM more believable. I'm just speaking for the NON-MJ fans I've known all my life. I'm telling you right now...this outfit looked like some sort of strange perverted fantasy come to life according to the mainstream media and those who fell for the lies. And because of that, I couldn't stand it because it cast Mike in a bad light with the majority of the public.

We, as Michael's fans can look past just about ANYTHING Michael says or does, but I still all these years later think about the appearance to the mass media and to the public at large. As much of a fan as I am of MJ's (and trust me...I am a HUUUUUUGE fan), this outfit just plain looked horrible to many back then....esp. those who had already convicted Michael when they first heard about the Chandler accusations.

Of course most of us here obviously realize that the Chandler's were extortionists looking for a quick buck, but I'm telling you right now from personal experience.....I knew friends back in junior high and high school who were "fans" of MJ, but the accusations and this particular outfit changed their minds. I'm not saying they were the greatest fans of MJ, but still...they were at least casual fans and they made up a HUGE portion of Mike's fan-base at the time. But the accusations and this outfit (and the media's portrayal of him) played big parts in their changes of mind on him.

I know because I saw it happen first hand. Not only did I, as a life-long MJ fan (beginning in the Thriller era) feel a bit repulsed by this "Maddona-esque" outfit, but I also witnessed many self-proclaimed "Mj fans" back then say it was disgusting. And then the accusations came along and.....for these people I'm referring to...it was the nail in the coffin...they made their decision that he was guilty.

In their minds, if the dude wore something like that, he was obviously a freak and he was obviously guilty. No matter how much I tried to explain to them about how Michael was an eternal child, they just couldn't hear me past this thong outfit. And that sucked. I tried to defend him, but they wouldn't hear it at that time.

I know for many of you younger fans it's probably difficult to hear, but it's the stone cold, honest truth. That really happened. This outfit honestly (I'm not making this up at all) played into his negative public perception back then, which only got worse as the years went by, no matter how hard he tried. It sucks, but it's the truth. Many of us older folks lived it and we remember it.

I seriously doubt he knew what this outfit would look like to millions of people around the world. I truly believe he was not trying to look controversial or "sexual" in any way at all.

First of all I love that outfit, maybe because is, excuse me, but it is, a bit perverted, its androgynous (which i love but many ppl don't), and I really liked Mike wearing it. The reaction of media and ppl to it was exactly as defdave describes tho.
However I do not agree, ie I do not believe that Michael, as you put it, didn't know how did the outfit look, and also I doubt he didn't try to appear as "sexual" at all.
I mean we've all seen at least one show, with him performing in this suit eh?
The next thing am about to hear is "oh but he wasn't aware of the effect his HIStory golden pants had on the(drooling) public":doh:
I always believed Michael did some of the things, and wore some of his clothes in spite. Bless him.:yes:

To be honest, I've never learned to like it. LOLS! Sorry Mike.

It's just way too distracting... XD The first time I saw him with that costume on, I just giggled because it's so Michael. I thought it was a weird thong at first. :D

I have mixed feeling about that particular outfit. Some days I find it so ridiculous that it's sexy, other days it's just hideous. Michael sure is creative. Making it gold and sh*t. But honestly who else would wear it and actually get away with it. For that I'll always love Michael and that golden thong.

Loved it on him! But would probably have hated it on anyone else.

LOVE IT!
Love the way it enhances which side he's leaning to that day!
Would have been even better if he'd worn it without the pants or shirt underneath, hahaha :lmao:

LOVE IT!
Love the way it enhances which side he's leaning to that day!
Would have been even better if he'd worn it without the pants or shirt underneath, hahaha :lmao:

*gets a visual* :blush:

and again from the back.... lol

Oh, and I voted for HATED IT in the poll. I really really did, I've never gotten over it either. Why couldn't he have worn it underneath the pants like with the Bad tour leotard?? Now THAT was sexy!!

Last edited:
*gets a visual* :blush:

and again from the back.... lol

Oh, and I voted for HATED IT in the poll. I really really did, I've never gotten over it either. Why couldn't he have worn it underneath the pants like with the Bad tour leotard?? Now THAT was sexy!!

I just think it was to emphasise you know what lol :p

I have mixed feeling about it, I can't stop concentrating at his crotch while watching that part of the concert. :blush: It was distracting me. But I do like the creativity of the costume.

I could not disagree with you all above more.

Michael was not about gratuitous sexual ambiguity or "weirdness" for the sake of seeming 'unique". Michael was a unique character for sure, but he was not a guy looking for more folks to call him "weird". He was an eternal kid and I seriously doubt he knew what this outfit would look like to millions of people around the world. I truly believe he was not trying to look controversial or "sexual" in any way at all. I just think he saw a fencing outfit and thought it would look cool on stage....just like a little kid he jumped on something thinking it would look "rad". I truly believe this. Mike was an innocent soul.

But, in addition to what I've said....the truth is...this outfit came along at the worst time. Those first false accusations came along from the Chandler's. And this outfit only made the lies SEEM more believable. I'm just speaking for the NON-MJ fans I've known all my life. I'm telling you right now...this outfit looked like some sort of strange perverted fantasy come to life according to the mainstream media and those who fell for the lies. And because of that, I couldn't stand it because it cast Mike in a bad light with the majority of the public.

We, as Michael's fans can look past just about ANYTHING Michael says or does, but I still all these years later think about the appearance to the mass media and to the public at large. As much of a fan as I am of MJ's (and trust me...I am a HUUUUUUGE fan), this outfit just plain looked horrible to many back then....esp. those who had already convicted Michael when they first heard about the Chandler accusations.

Of course most of us here obviously realize that the Chandler's were extortionists looking for a quick buck, but I'm telling you right now from personal experience.....I knew friends back in junior high and high school who were "fans" of MJ, but the accusations and this particular outfit changed their minds. I'm not saying they were the greatest fans of MJ, but still...they were at least casual fans and they made up a HUGE portion of Mike's fan-base at the time. But the accusations and this outfit (and the media's portrayal of him) played big parts in their changes of mind on him.

I know because I saw it happen first hand. Not only did I, as a life-long MJ fan (beginning in the Thriller era) feel a bit repulsed by this "Maddona-esque" outfit, but I also witnessed many self-proclaimed "Mj fans" back then say it was disgusting. And then the accusations came along and.....for these people I'm referring to...it was the nail in the coffin...they made their decision that he was guilty.

In their minds, if the dude wore something like that, he was obviously a freak and he was obviously guilty. No matter how much I tried to explain to them about how Michael was an eternal child, they just couldn't hear me past this thong outfit. And that sucked. I tried to defend him, but they wouldn't hear it at that time.

I know for many of you younger fans it's probably difficult to hear, but it's the stone cold, honest truth. That really happened. This outfit honestly (I'm not making this up at all) played into his negative public perception back then, which only got worse as the years went by, no matter how hard he tried. It sucks, but it's the truth. Many of us older folks lived it and we remember it.

well, I am a fan from his OtW era, and I can say without a doubt that it DID NOT HELP. I still wish he hadn't worn that outfit at that particular juncture in his career.

I find the long comment above about fans actually judging Michael's character based on an OUTFIT...totally ridiculous. That kind of ignorant judgmental thinking needs to be outlawed... seriously. Furthermore, they never deserved to be called fans if they backed away from him because of that.....

Now for my personal opinion, I don't think the outfit was sexy...but I certainly don't hate it. It represents Michael and his unique taste...so more power to him and his outer thong! LOL

It's definitely my least favourite outfit of his and I think it looks kind of ridiculous, but simply because it's Mike it's pretty easy to overlook :) I do love the silver shirt and black pants from the Bad tour, I wish he'd have kept that look or done something similar instead of the silly thong-thang. But whatever, it's Mike, he can wear whatever and it won't really matter because his moves are so fantastic.

Sorry Michael... from the front its ok.. but the back. Ohh no! hate that thong.. So for me its 'hate it'.

I don't think its 'disgusting' i just think it looks stupid!

Its inspired by a fencing attire:
mj_2.jpg

so its not just a random thong haha! Oh well like I said its only something Mike could get away with! :D

I find the long comment above about fans actually judging Michael's character based on an OUTFIT...totally ridiculous. That kind of ignorant judgmental thinking needs to be outlawed... seriously. Furthermore, they never deserved to be called fans if they backed away from him because of that.....

I know, but it's the truth. See back in the 80's and early 90's, MJ's fanbase was absolutely massive. At school, fans were everywhere. But as with any artist, there were levels of fandom....from casual to fanatical (I was close to the latter lol).

But then when the accusations came out, a big chunk of that fanbase (leaning more to the casual side) abandoned him.

And what I was saying is the fact that the outer-thong look hurt him in the eyes of these fair-weather fans.

For those of you who may recall, back in '93 the charges were all over CNN and the evening news and MTV News and most of the time they'd be showing in the background video clips from the Dangerous Tour with that outfit on. Of course one reason they did it was because it was relevant and because we was currently on tour.....BUT I have no doubt that the media vultures specifically wanted to run video of him in that outfit to push their whole agenda of making him look like he was a sick freak. Sadly, a lot of people bought into it all and abandoned him.

The outfit didn't help at all. I marked down 'hate it' because I remember what it did to public perception of him here in the midwest back then.

The outfit didn't help at all. I marked down 'hate it' because I remember what it did to public perception of him here in the midwest back then.

It wasn't only in the midwest... I remember trying to defend him (as good as a twelve year old could) and what I got thrown back was "but look what he's wearing!" So yeah, it definitely didn't help..

Back