Michael Jackson: The Experience - Discussion News And Updates Thread

Re: 'Michael Jackson: The Experience' at Gamescom - UPDATES Pg1

SUMMARY:

If you had NONE of the above consoles and wanted to play the game the Wii is by far the cheapest and the PS3 by far the most expensive, especially if you want to play with a friend.

BUT if you already own one of each of the consoles, the cheapest upgrade by far is the Wii while the most expensive upgrade is the Xbox 360.
there is one mistake: You don't need the nunchuck for the Wii version, so that's 7.55£ less.

Oh, so the Wii version use 1 controller per person!

I have just found a new video that again clearly shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4sFAKWWvG4&feature=fvst

That's worse than I thought. How can the Wii version be considered an adequate dance game when it only tracks the movement of one hand?
That means you can do whatever the heck you like with both legs and one hand and as long as one hand is doing roughly the right thing it's ok. Ridiculously bad and not worth the money in my opinion.

I had originally thought they would make the effort to do it right. At least if each player had a controller in each hand then the Wii could track the movements of both hands, though you could still score perfect points while sitting down LOL! To do this properly the player would need one controller on each limb so that both arms and legs can be tracked (i.e. 4 controllers used by one player). this is a dance game after all, how can it score your dancing when it can only see one hand???

This could also mean my PS3 MOVE calculation is wrong, but we'll have to see how Ubisoft implement it on that platform.

Let's hope the PS3 version does better than the Wii. In theory the Playstation Eye camera can track legs, but to be honest it can't be very good for tracking movement otherwise Sony wouldn't have made MOVE use those funky glowing balls. My guess is it'll track both hands using controllers but will ignore the legs.

This is why I prefer the Kinect, even though I have never used one. It tracks the movements of the whole body by using over 40 points of articulation on the body. At least when I get a score, I will be scored on how those 40 points of my body move in relation to the dancer on the screen.

In comparison the Wii tracks the movement of 1 point on the body - the hand.
As for PS3 we'll have to see...

I've edited my post. thanks!

Last edited:

I'm really sad that Ubisoft is developing this game :(

Oh, so the Wii version use 1 controller per person!

I have just found a new video that again clearly shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4sFAKWWvG4&feature=fvst

That's worse than I thought. How can the Wii version be considered an adequate dance game when it only tracks the movement of one hand?
That means you can do whatever the heck you like with both legs and one hand and as long as one hand is doing roughly the right thing it's ok. Ridiculously bad and not worth the money in my opinion.

I had originally thought they would make the effort to do it right. At least if each player had a controller in each hand then the Wii could track the movements of both hands, though you could still score perfect points while sitting down LOL! To do this properly the player would need one controller on each limb so that both arms and legs can be tracked (i.e. 4 controllers used by one player). this is a dance game after all, how can it score your dancing when it can only see one hand???

This could also mean my PS3 MOVE calculation is wrong, but we'll have to see how Ubisoft implement it on that platform.

Let's hope the PS3 version does better than the Wii. In theory the Playstation Eye camera can track legs, but to be honest it can't be very good for tracking movement otherwise Sony wouldn't have made MOVE use those funky glowing balls. My guess is it'll track both hands using controllers but will ignore the legs.

This is why I prefer the Kinect, even though I have never used one. It tracks the movements of the whole body by using over 40 points of articulation on the body. At least when I get a score, I will be scored on how those 40 points of my body move in relation to the dancer on the screen.

In comparison the Wii tracks the movement of 1 point on the body - the hand.
As for PS3 we'll have to see...

I've edited my post. thanks!
You do realize this game is just like "Just Dance" right? It's not about accuracy as much as it is about fun i guess.

I have never taken much interest in the Wii, beyond having some goes on those owned by family and friends, because (IMO) the control mechanism is so limited it's just a gimmick and so have never seen any dance game on the Wii and I didn't realise "Just Dance" was equally as flawed.

Yes it's fun to pretend to swing a golf club or race karts around a track, those games only require 1 controller, but in order to score a person who is dancing based on how well they follow the character on the screen, the bare minimum you need is some way of monitoring what that persons limbs are doing.

You can't give somebody a perfect dance score just because 1 hand appears to be doing the right thing. I'm totally useless at dancing but I'm sure even I could easily get an excellent score by moving one hand around while sat on my sofa, eating an apple with my spare hand. How is that justifiable?

I saw a wii game once that had the objective of shaking 2 controllers in time to immitate the use of marracas. That made sense because 1 controller in each hand is similar to 1 marraca in each hand. The wii can monitor the controllers and so knows what the 'maraccas' are doing. The Wii could handle 1 player with 2 controllers in that game, and the Wii can handle multiple players at the same time in Mario Kart, so why haven't Ubisoft implemented that in the MJ game?

If I was a game designer I would make damn sure the game was 'fit for purpose' and I just can't say that's true of the MJ game on Wii. It just seems to be lazy IMO.

Maybe it's just the way I am, but if I'm going to be given a score for doing something it has to mean something otherwise it's just not fun. I have similar thoughts on bowling - what's the point in scoring highly while using those buffers at the side of the bowling alley? A high score doesn't necessarily reflect your ability as a bowler.
I know would really struggle to score will with the Kinect version because it monitors my whole body and I'm not a good dancer, but at least the score would reflect my actual ability. Because of that, scoring badly on Kinect and being enfuriated by it would be much more fun than doing well on Wii.

bobmoo79 never actually played Just Dance and I can assure you that it is fun and you will totally get out of rhythm if you try to do everything onehanded. I played it often enough and the whole game concept is not meant to be a "how-good-can-you-dance-analyzer"
I know would really struggle to score will with the Kinect version because it monitors my whole body and I'm not a good dancer, but at least the score would reflect my actual ability. Because of that, scoring badly on Kinect and being enfuriated by it would be much more fun than doing well on Wii.
You won't get a real score on the kinect or move version either, because the body tracking is not 100% accurate. It will track your body better of course, but it won't tell you how good you can dance.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have a Nintendo Wii & an XBox 360. I think when the game is released, I'll buy the wii version to begin with because the Kinect is going to be too expensive! (Especially just before Christmas!) and I'll either wait for the Kinect to come down in price or until I can afford it, then I'll get the XBox version because I think that will be best to track the dance moves effectively.

bobmoo79 never actually played Just Dance and I can assure you that it is fun and you will totally get out of rhythm if you try to do everything onehanded.

The videos of MJ:The Experience show them playing with only 1 controller so the intention is to play one handed, which sucks.

I played it often enough and the whole game concept is not meant to be a "how-good-can-you-dance-analyzer"

A game with the concept of the player copying a dancing character on a console (i.e. the Xbox 360) that tracks your whole body and scores you on how your body performs in comparison with the dancing character is a "how-good-can-you-dance-analyzer".

But I do agree that might not apply to the Wii version purely because of the limited one handed playing style, which is a shame. The Xbox version is all about danceability IMO.

Whatever version you end up buying it'll be nice to own a new MJ game!

Out of all the motion controlled games out there, this is surely among the most interesting ones since it features Michael. However, I thing the overall immersion could still use some work. Maybe by implement more actual footage of Michael?

Shamone! We want some 360/PS3 footage!!

I've tried the Kinect and it's very good stuff.
I saw dancers dancebreaking on XBOX dance games and that's the only moments i saw the kinect having bugs (because they were doing crazy movements !!!).
I have the 3 consoles and for me it will be really simple : it will be the XBOX version.
First of all, because i wanna play a HD version of The Experience.
And also because, the kinect is the best in tracking movements. Even The PS3 with the U-Move and the camera is not that good.
Even if the wii is the cheapiest, the quality of the game (i can't even imagine what they will do on the nintendo DS) is horrible, recognition of the movement is very rough and we never see Michael on screen (not even on screens behind like the HD Versions). For me, the Wii and DS versions of The Experience are just poor and uninteresting versions they did just to sell more (like guitar hero on DS, sooooo ridiculous).

I've tried the Kinect and it's very good stuff.
I saw dancers dancebreaking on XBOX dance games and that's the only moments i saw the kinect having bugs (because they were doing crazy movements !!!).

YEs, that would be very confusing for the machine when it's not expecting to see those things happen.
Luckily the MJ game won't require any break dancing!

I've seen images of the game from the xbox version, and you are actually in the game your whole body image is captured through Kinect, you are not following a dancer, and you can sing at the same time, some thing you cannot do on Wii version. I've pre-ordered the Kinect because I think these will be in short supply, especially around Christmas.

Take a look at this screen grab for BAD:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objec...erience-20100818072423319.html?page=mediaFull

I've seen images of the game from the xbox version, and you are actually in the game your whole body image is captured through Kinect, you are not following a dancer, and you can sing at the same time, some thing you cannot do on Wii version. I've pre-ordered the Kinect because I think these will be in short supply, especially around Christmas.

Take a look at this screen grab for BAD:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objec...erience-20100818072423319.html?page=mediaFull
Isn't that PS3 version? Look at what the dancer is holding, a PS Move controller?

Well , i have heard from reviews and tech demos that 1. PSEye can do full body tracking as will be shown in KUNGFU LIVE ! What i have read, and seen is that Kinect is just NOT upto the job, and gets confused with tracking. The Ps3 move and eye can pick up tracking and also with move be 1-1 in full movement. Let me just tell you this, dont be confused with the WII version this is not being developed by the same ones doing the 360 and Move, you will see soon enough how brilliant Sonys tech is, and how Microsoft have got a system that has major flaws.

Anyway i will love to see what the estate and Ubisoft have plannned for dlc of this game as well. I think the fact that there has been no Singstar MJ its due to this game now.

Terry

Isn't that PS3 version? Look at what the dancer is holding, a PS Move controller?

No, I think that's a microphone.
The Move controller has a coloured ball on the end - that's how the camera can track the movement of the hands (a black ball wouldn't work)

No, I think that's a microphone.
The Move controller has a coloured ball on the end - that's how the camera can track the movement of the hands (a black ball wouldn't work)
Ah, true. But to use the PS3 version of the game to it's fully potential, you'll need two of the Move controllers? One in each hand.

I'll be getting all this stuff for christmas. I don't have any money to pay for it. School costs so much these days.

Ah, true. But to use the PS3 version of the game to it's fully potential, you'll need two of the Move controllers? One in each hand.
It's like the nunchuck and the wiimote :
playstation-move-accessoire.jpg

^^^ You don't need the navigation controller for MJ Experience.

There are rumours that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 version will be delayed untill Q1 2011.

More interessting news is that there are plans to bundle the Wii version with the dubble album of This is It.

There are rumours that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 version will be delayed untill Q1 2011.

More interessting news is that there are plans to bundle the Wii version with the dubble album of This is It.
From where did you got these informations ?

I hope this is not the case otherwise, it could be that the new album will be delayed also.!

Terry

Not really that interesting, lol.

A delay wouldn't surprise me.
Anybody else think it's strange the PS3 and Xbox360 versions haven't been made available to the public or games media yet?

The delay would tie in with my theory that the album will probably be released in February / March next year.

Last edited:

It's not officially announced by Ubisoft but a friend of mine, who works as a distributor of games in the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg) said this to me yesterday.

I'm looking forward to getting this on my Wii, wooooop :) I've pre-orderes it from play.com!

cool,i want try this

I'm a bit tired of music/dance games.
There all pretty much the same and the fun don't last very long.

I think I'll let this one go, I'm not going to buy a bad game just because it has MJ in it.

I support the estate in making money for MJ's kids with MJ's name, but I won't support it if they release crappy material like a dancing game.

Back