Motown 25: Brief Rehearsal Clips

No it is not a fact, it is just your very subjective opinion. The real truth is that there are 30-40% of MJ fans boycotting his releases. I'd say that is roughly 50,000 copies in the first week in US.
Sorry 1) where did you get this figure? 2) what does it mean? 30-40% of all the MJ fans in the world are boycotting his releases? That seems very high. As Birchey said, people may not purchase something because they don't like it but that is very different to boycotting something as a protest.

A random lad goes to high school and performs Billie Jean almost the same clothing and routine as the M25 performance and wins his school talent competition, sparking massive attention from Social media and thrusts Billie Jean (no remixes needed) back up the charts to number 14 on the Billboard 100. The Estate spent "Multimillions" so at least $2 million dollars creating a CGI head to put on an impersonator which thrust Slave To The Rhythm all the way upto...........................42 in the top 100. So why is it so hard to comprehend that people just want to see Michael Jackson, damn even a bad impersonation of Michael Jackson trumps an extremely forgettable waste of Estate funds. How anyone can't see this is all about people getting paychecks and pushing a "New MJ" as this product, when everything is already there to keep public interest and money coming in. No please tell me where the idea of not releasing

If "hologram" performed Billie Jean it would peak even higher. Billie Jean is the best song of all times. Slave To The Rhythm was new song that MJ never performed live.

Sorry 1) where did you get this figure? 2) what does it mean? 30-40% of all the MJ fans in the world are boycotting his releases? That seems very high. As Birchey said, people may not purchase something because they don't like it but that is very different to boycotting something as a protest.

Personal opinion, but go on other MJ forums, youtube or twitter. A lot of hate from his own fans out there. I'd say 30-40% of all fans = 30-40% of US fans or any other country.

Personal opinion, but go on other MJ forums, youtube or twitter. A lot of hate from his own fans out there. I'd say 30-40% of all fans = 30-40% of US fans or any other country.
So not really "the real truth" then. You may be right. I know there is a vocal part of the fan base that is angry with the estate but I would say that was more hardcore fans who go on forums like this rather than fans like my brother or a friend of my wife's who buy Michaels albums and admire him as an artist. If you include fans like that IMO it would be nowhere near as high as you say. But anyway I'm going way off topic. Sorry all.

Well as you pointed out , how about "Michael Jackson Iconic Performances?"

And allow me to elaborate. On this thread I also made a statement that 99% of the fans on this thread wouldn't spend anywhere between $30 to $80 to get Motown 25 even if full rehearsal was included. I said if they are Motown fans, they could. It resulted in some people approaching it as a negative thing and some cursing. But it wasn't something negative as far as I'm concerned.

And I'll explain it. I'm not a Motown fan. The only other Motown artist I like is Stevie Wonder. No disrespect to other artists but this is not a release I'm interested in. (Just to clarify something - Cirque MJ shows isn't my cup of tea hence I have no intention to ever attend to them either. so my comments about Motown isn't about being dismissive or anything negative, it's just not my cup of tea). The only thing that would interest me is MJ related stuff. However I wouldn't spend $30 to just to get Motown performance on DVD because it's already available on DVD and I already have it. So a rehearsal footage would be the only thing new for MJ fans. Assuming MJ rehearsal footage - if included- came with the deluxe 6 CD version which sells for $80, I wouldn't spend that much to just get that while I didn't care about rest of the DVDs. I probably wouldn't pay $30/$40 to get MJ rehearsal either. So I would watch it on youtube. I believe such cost - value determination would apply to majority of the fans here.

Hence that's also why I think a MJ focused release would work better in terms of revenues as well.

Well firstly there are fans that will pay that amount that have that footage in their collection.

And yes, I can understand your thought process but again, do you really expect them to release a rehearsals DVD in the future? This is stuff that we dream about but it's not realistic. I have never seen a DVD on the market for an artists rehearsals. Yes, Michael did like to be the first to do certain things, but he was also notorious for not releasing unfinished things. So if the estate are "acting in his best interests" then they would really never release it now. Although they could have justified it being as how other artists allowed their rehearsals on the DVD.

"What other artists" argument doesn't really work for MJ and even his Estate. Michael was the first to do many things and his Estate seems to be focused on "first time ever" too. You also had a nice example of Metallica online video database so why not a similar thing cannot happen for MJ?

And I'm not just saying this out of thin air. MJ Accounting has showed has Estate has an ongoing archiving project that has been going on for multiple years and costing multiple millions of dollars to archive and digitize MJ material. Why? If they had no intention to ever use / release such stuff why would they spend the time ,effort and money to work on them? Isn't it logical to assume that the reason they are working on such archiving is because they intend to use the materials one day?

This is literally the first I have ever heard of this.

When you say digitise, are you sure that is for computer purposes? It could just be upgrading the quality and storing it for use in compilations etc or promotional materials. We don't really know what their intentions are. And tbh, I'm not even sure this is true as I have not heard it.

and don't you think stuff like "Michael Jackson Iconic performances" or "Michael Jackson Performance Database" and so on are enough context and reason for a release?

I don't see how a rehearsal for an iconic performance would be on an iconic performance DVD, no. I could see them adding the actual performance, of course.

I also think the chances of said DVD ever being released are slim to none.

true and I already said that no one knows for sure. That's why I try not to make definitive statements or call what others says as crap or BS. We are all expressing opinions here and we don't know who is right.

yes I do and I disagree that it has no basis in reality. Like I said it's not baseless. The archiving project is one of the reasons. Other Estates such as Elvis Presley Estate is another example. It's been 37 years since Elvis was dead and his Estate still earns decent income. I would imagine MJ Estate is also aiming for such longevity hence their one project at a time and space them over time approach. How would they continue to earn money in the long long long term if they don't release what they have? even in this release, Marvin Gaye rehearsal is being released 30 years after his death. So why couldn't they release a MJ rehearsal at 2039 - 30 years after MJ's death? There's also a discussion on this forum about a collector's label which I see as a real possibility. I think right now they are focused on projects that can bring fast and a lot revenues from fans and public but after a while their focus would shift to fans only/mainly.

for example : releasing TII as soon as possible brought them a nice amount of revenue due to public interest. However let's say releasing "Best 10 performances of bad tour" wouldn't attract much public interest regardless of when it is released. So such projects can wait and be released in the distant future on a collectors label and/or video database that targets only die hard fans.

An MJ rehearsal released in 2039? I very much doubt that a rehearsal would be on the top of anyone's list. You're thinking like an MJ fan but you have to think from a business perspective. This sort of thing would never cross their minds.

A collectors label? Again, a nice thought, but nothing I would ever believe would be a good business move for anyone. I have never heard of this before.

It's your opinion that it's delusion. I see it realistic. Let me try to explain: Isn't it realistic for them to have an online video database? If Metallica can do it, can't they do it as well? Isn't it realistic to expect releases 30-40-50 years later as we have seen at Elvis and Marvin Gaye Estates? If your answer is yes then it means we agree it's possible and realistic. Then only whether if it would happen or not becomes our personal opinions. I'm saying it could happen and you are saying it won't happen. It becomes again something that we wouldn't know who's right.

This is where I will have to say they yes, as Metallica have it I can't say that it is 100% unrealistic. But judging on the fact that apparently michael was forgetful, kept things in bad condition, and also didn't want certain materials being released I can't imagine it. You know michael stopped releases of his own concerts when he was alive? So if they are trying to be true to his wishes they will never do this. And the kids will probably agree.

Again, even if all this magical stuff does happen and the stars do align, like I said, there's no GUARANTEE. Business decisions are based on risk. There was a 100% legitimate chance to release this and make sense. Everyone would have understood, everyone would be happy.

And I know that the estate have to think about money also, but they have been blocking release after release after release.

If they are building a massive digital database of material then fine, it will be the first I have heard of it.

I'm interested to hear more about your source about the digitising of material.

Amazing really, Birchey posts a couple of nice clips of MJ that are pretty exciting and yet war breaks out on here.
Amazing to me too. I was on here immediately after it was originally posted and already lamenting that they weren't putting the full rehearsal on the DVD set and that Diana and the Jackson brothers were left out also. But about 4 posts later, the estate was getting all the blame and all for their own supposedly selfish monetary reasons. From all sides.

One reason I want to see it with this DVD set (and I said this back when it was first announced) is that I didn't realize any footage existed and as Suzanne said "Berry doesn't burn anything".
I personally think this is the perfect context to see the rehearsal footage (and everybody else's too)

This is our chance to see one of the most remembered nights of television history and the rehearsals that made it so. The Estate could always put it out in another compilation of some sort-Michael used to repackage things all the time, himself-it would be no harm to do it.

And yes, this is selfish, but I want to see it now-because if they wait another 30-40 years, I'll be dead, period. Fact.

But I prefer not to think they are holding it back-and especially not for money. Suzanne said the Estate was both "cooperative and protective" when they were in talks about this. I'd prefer to think that maybe Michael shoved either Marlon or Randy hard when they jumped into his shot-and knocked them to the floor.

Or better yet, Jermaine couldn't keep up because he had been away from the group for years-they started yelling at him-and then they all jumped on him and beat him to a bloody pulp. Just let loose with all that frustration they'd felt since he stayed behind. All caught on film.

I highly doubt that this deal had any kind of consideration of dollar incentives-this is more of a legacy/historical thing, not a sales thing.

Amazing to me too. I was on here immediately after it was originally posted and already lamenting that they weren't putting the full rehearsal on the DVD set and that Diana and the Jackson brothers were left out also. But about 4 posts later, the estate was getting all the blame and all for their own supposedly selfish monetary reasons. From all sides.

One reason I want to see it with this DVD set (and I said this back when it was first announced) is that I didn't realize any footage existed and as Suzanne said "Berry doesn't burn anything".
I personally think this is the perfect context to see the rehearsal footage (and everybody else's too)

This is our chance to see one of the most remembered nights of television history and the rehearsals that made it so. The Estate could always put it out in another compilation of some sort-Michael used to repackage things all the time, himself-it would be no harm to do it.

And yes, this is selfish, but I want to see it now-because if they wait another 30-40 years, I'll be dead, period. Fact.

But I prefer not to think they are holding it back-and especially not for money. Suzanne said the Estate was both "cooperative and protective" when they were in talks about this. I'd prefer to think that maybe Michael shoved either Marlon or Randy hard when they jumped into his shot-and knocked them to the floor.

Or better yet, Jermaine couldn't keep up because he had been away from the group for years-they started yelling at him-and then they all jumped on him and beat him to a bloody pulp. Just let loose with all that frustration they'd felt since he stayed behind. All caught on film.

I highly doubt that this deal had any kind of consideration of dollar incentives-this is more of a legacy/historical thing, not a sales thing.

Good post and I appreciate your honesty on the selfish motivations. Of course, I think most of us feel that way.

In regards to non monetary motivations for not releasing the rehearsal footage, like I said before, Michael was very vocal about not releasing unfinished products.

Granted, we have since Michaels passing already heard unfinished songs, but this could be part of the reasoning?

Good post and I appreciate your honesty on the selfish motivations. Of course, I think most of us feel that way.

In regards to non monetary motivations for not releasing the rehearsal footage, like I said before, Michael was very vocal about not releasing unfinished products.

Granted, we have since Michaels passing already heard unfinished songs, but this could be part of the reasoning?

Even during Michael's lifetime Sony wanted and did release MJ's unfinished recordings, I have heard through a friend MJ didn't even know Got The Hots was on Thriller until he was told about it after release.

The one thing we can all agree on is that we are going to get unfinished works, well we have since his death, its the way the money train works. The problem is with "how" these things are being handled, and whats being presented to us, it way below MJ Standard, when there are plenty of people left on this earth who worked for Michael for a longtime who I think are being sidelined to bring in the wrong kinds of people to work on MJ projects.

Ah, it could be the reasoning, but the TII movie already took care of that hang-up. And "The Making of Thriller" is all rehearsal and backstory-which might be one of the reasons I think their rehearsal footage belongs with THIS DVD set.

Yeah true but because they're talking about "protecting" his legacy I thought it might be especially unfinished and basic, but I don't know.

Either way we can agree it was the sensible option to include it on this DVD if it was ever going to be released.

I wonder what the opening of the dance was for Billie Jean was as Michael stated in Moonwalker that he made that part up the night before in his kitchen (although I suspect that he told a little white lie there, but who knows)

Yeah true but because they're talking about "protecting" his legacy I thought it might be especially unfinished and basic, but I don't know.

Either way we can agree it was the sensible option to include it on this DVD if it was ever going to be released.

I wonder what the opening of the dance was for Billie Jean was as Michael stated in Moonwalker that he made that part up the night before in his kitchen (although I suspect that he told a little white lie there, but who knows)
I know. :) One really fascinating thing to me in Suzanne's interview that she went a little more into detail about the letter that Michael had Branca send, that they could not tape the actual performance of "Billie Jean" and he only wanted the house to see it-not include it on the special.
And she said by then, they had seen the rehearsal, and begged him to tape it-and said he could be in the editing room and have the final decisions. If he didn't like it, it wouldn't be in the show.

And you can really tell from that performance that all he had learned by watching his own performances on the zillion different TV shows, or from the Wiz or from the Jackson summer series, how to actually edit and direct a DANCE PERFORMANCE-shot for shot-for shot. When he goes "woo-point to the first camera-"woo-right to the 2nd camera-
And you also know how proud he was of that whole thing when he talks about it in the Ebony photo shoot-"every shot was MY shot". Really his first attempt at directing-and he gets nominated for an Emmy? It's another reason I want to see it so bad.

I'm thinking the New MJJC Video/Audio Chat room needs a weekly debate :D

It would not work.

It is one thing to read another's view and to reply that one does not agree for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, some posters will read another's view and reply they do not agree because the view is wrong and attempt to show why the view is wrong instead of simply stating why they do not agree allowing for an exchange of ideas.

In this thread we do not have the full rehearsal footage and the Estate is to blame and that is a fact. Some see that as an opportunity to defend the Estate's choice which is their choice but, it does not take blame from the Estate. Of course one can discuss why they believe the Estate made the choice however; it does not change the fact they are the reason we are not seeing this footage on this offering.

It's one thing to be passionate, it's another to come here cussing and name calling and demanding, as if we are owed something. Again i ask, did you act like that when MJ was here? Did you insult him when he didn't cater to you?

I get people want to see everything, I want to see it too, but please be realistic. They simply will not release it all today or tomorrow. They will keep stuff for years, no, for decades to come. That's the reality and if i were an executor, I'd do the same thing, because it makes sense to think long term.

Well again I am just very sorry that they decided not to include more rehearsal footage in the Time Life set-especially since the Time Life series is so professional and well respected. And it would have been the perfect place to see it.

And again it should also be part of Michael's collector label when that starts. I know I voted yes back in 2012 when they posted that poll about it and I think that is something that could live on and on. I expect Michael's music and films and performances to live in eternity.
and that would be the perfect place for it for the generations to come.

And I'll explain it. I'm not a Motown fan. The only other Motown artist I like is Stevie Wonder. No disrespect to other artists but this is not a release I'm interested in. (Just to clarify something - Cirque MJ shows isn't my cup of tea hence I have no intention to ever attend to them either. so my comments about Motown isn't about being dismissive or anything negative, it's just not my cup of tea). The only thing that would interest me is MJ related stuff. However I wouldn't spend $30 to just to get Motown performance on DVD because it's already available on DVD and I already have it. So a rehearsal footage would be the only thing new for MJ fans. Assuming MJ rehearsal footage - if included- came with the deluxe 6 CD version which sells for $80, I wouldn't spend that much to just get that while I didn't care about rest of the DVDs. I probably wouldn't pay $30/$40 to get MJ rehearsal either. So I would watch it on youtube. I believe such cost - value determination would apply to majority of the fans here.

I am sorry, but no it is not. This is the first time Motown 25 is being officially released on dvd. So if you have it already, it is fake and the quality will not be as good as this release.

I am sorry, but no it is not. This is the first time Motown 25 is being officially released on dvd. So if you have it already, it is fake and the quality will not be as good as this release.

Allow me to clarify. I was talking about Michael Jackson Motown performance aka Billie Jean which is available at officially released DVDs. I felt I was pretty clear that I'm only interested in Michael Jackson.

Russ Terrana's voice sounds like Matt Groening imo :lol:

That is just not true. There are boycotters out there that are not buying anything MJ because of their personal feud with Sony. So being Xscape (which also had all 8 untouched songs!!!) or Motown 25 performance and rehearsal - those people will not buy it. And those people did hurt Xscape sales. That is a fact.

I don't know what you guys are talking about as a whole, but is there any stats behind this claim?

This merry go round with the same riders is becoming quite a bore.

Seems you guys enjoy spending umpteen amounts of time posting longggggg!!!!! posts only for them to be deleted soon after.

The ride is over guys - thread closed for cleaning **see you riders on the next merry go round**

I deleted quite some post around here ... it took me hours to read upon them ..I came to the conclusion to delete every post which in my opinion didn't do any good on this thread.
It's not a matter of who is right or wrong and we will not allow the constant bickering anymore.

I'll bet you all understand that this thread was going downhill...
The last thing I wanted to happen, was to see was that this thread would explode.
So please stay on topic and enjoy what have been posted in the first post.

Treasure

I deleted quite some post around here ... it took me hours to read upon them ..I came to the conclusion to delete every post which in my opinion didn't do any good on this thread.
It's not a matter of who is right or wrong and we will not allow the constant bickering anymore.

I'll bet you all understand that this thread was going downhill...
The last thing I wanted to happen, was to see was that this thread would explode.
So please stay on topic and enjoy what have been posted in the first post.

Treasure

Fair enough, but unfortunately some of the posts you deleted had some good arguments that I would have liked to have seen left up there.

But I understand that this a thread for info not bickering.

Last edited:
full transcript with Suzanne de Pazze-Interview

http://www.************************...0/LMJ-Exclusive-full-transcript-Motown-25.pdf

Suzanne:
Bit the fact they (Estate) were cooperative, they were protective as well.

I see nothing wrong with this behaviour.

I don't expect Suzanne to say they were a nightmare to work with, but from recent actions and tidbits here and there I don't think they are as open as one might think. I just see them progressively releasing less and less Real Michael Jackson. I don't think allowing up to Producers to remix an album or release his original demos both as protective, or putting a CGI face on a mediocre dance impersonator as protective.

I don't think releasing an album and holding back studio footage showing the real MJ recording the songs is a great thing, or banning a long term colleague and friend of Michael's from sharing studio footage at private seminars along with the great stories he has about that footage as a great thing either.

I also think that Branca and Co need to consider the fact that Suzanne De Passe and Berry putting on Motown 25 and talking Michael into performing there may well have changed the course of MJ's history somewhat and shaped the Estate of which they now make a nice buck from maintaining.

This inspired me to watch the full performance including the Jacksons for first time in years.

I'm male and 41 but found myself crying when introduced Billie Jean.

God, this man enhanced my life so much.

I don't expect Suzanne to say they were a nightmare to work with, but from recent actions and tidbits here and there I don't think they are as open as one might think. I just see them progressively releasing less and less Real Michael Jackson. I don't think allowing up to Producers to remix an album or release his original demos both as protective, or putting a CGI face on a mediocre dance impersonator as protective.

I don't think releasing an album and holding back studio footage showing the real MJ recording the songs is a great thing, or banning a long term colleague and friend of Michael's from sharing studio footage at private seminars along with the great stories he has about that footage as a great thing either.

I also think that Branca and Co need to consider the fact that Suzanne De Passe and Berry putting on Motown 25 and talking Michael into performing there may well have changed the course of MJ's history somewhat and shaped the Estate of which they now make a nice buck from maintaining.
I want Michael's rehearsal footage of his brothers and Billie Jean probably as much or more than anybody-this is one night in television history that I will never ever forget. I also want to see Diana and the Supremes and the finale rehearsal too-not as much as Michael's, though. But I am and always will be a Motown fan.

And I'm sure Branca and Co. know that this changed musical history as well, since they were part of the team at that time.

But isn't bringing up holograms and studio footage and Estate stuff what derailed the thread in the first place? I don't want to be rude-but maybe it should stay on these great clips you posted-I thank you from the bottom of my heart for finding these and posting them.

Your hate towards Xscape is your problem. They did nothing wrong there. Releasing original versions/demos is brilliant thing.

The problem with those private seminars is possible leakage of unreleased material - that is protective! Also MJ didn't allow him to take footage of him or to use MJ's personal footage in that kind of way.

If MJ didn't perform at Motown 25 and did moonwalk there, NOTHING, absolutely nothing would have changed. He would just performed it somewhere else. He would still be the greatest ever and some other show would enter history. You are giving way too much credit to that show. MJ had that in him, it was a matter of time.

But isn't bringing up holograms and studio footage and Estate stuff what derailed the thread in the first place? I don't want to be rude-but maybe it should stay on these great clips you posted-I thank you from the bottom of my heart for finding these and posting them.

No, I think the thread got derailed when we all started generalizing and the conversation steered away from Motown to The Estate and plans with other MJ material in General.

This thread is about the Rehearsal clips and the reason we are not seeing them is because the Estate didn't allow them to be shown in full, we can only come here and say how great the small clips we have are once, there is not really anything else to discuss about them, which again is due to there not being enough material to discuss, which again falls square on the decision to not include full rehearsals.

The question was brought up about the Estate saving or Protecting MJ's material, I think in order to look at this the only things we have to go on are what The Estate have done with Michael image recently, hence the Hologram, Studio footage and this is where difference of opinion sparks the debate but as long as we keep it relevant to M25 and keep it calm its cool.

I wonder if Michael rehearsed Billie Jean with playback? Most likely. That might be the reason why Estate doesn't allow them to include full rehearsal footage.

Back