M a n i n t h e m u s i c the creative life and work of michael jackson

4veryoung

Proud Member
mjcover2c.jpg.w300h317.jpg

COMING SEPTEMBER 2011

M A N I N T H E M U S I C

THE CREATIVE LIFE AND WORK OF MICHAEL JACKSON
One of the most popular and influential entertainers of all time, Michael Jackson revolutionized the way we experience music. His songs, videos, and live performances not only broke records and barriers, they inspired generations of fans and fellow artists from every corner of the world. In this lavishly illustrated book, Joseph Vogel moves past the sensationalism and mythology to reveal the first in-depth picture of the “man in the music.”

Featuring a foreword by Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis, Man in the Music explores Jackson’s remarkable solo catalog, from 1979’s groundbreaking Off the Wall and 1982’s best-selling Thriller to his underrated later work, including a glimpse into the music he was creating in his final years. Vogel thoroughly delves into all the albums, giving a sense of the times and places in which they were created; vivid “making-of” details as if you were in the studio with him; a summary of how the works were critically and commercially received; and the author’s assessment of their meanings, impact, and legacy today.

Here, for the first time, are detailed explorations of each unforgettable song, like the mysterious masterpiece “Billie Jean”; the ecstatic floor burner, “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”; the haunting ballad, “Stranger in Moscow”; and the transcendent anthem, “Man in the Mirror.”

Meticulously researched and documented, Vogel draws on hundreds of sources, such as news archives, Jackson’s own words, and personal interviews with numerous people who worked intimately with him (some of whom are speaking publicly about their experiences for the first time).

For a greater appreciation and understanding of one of the most creative artists of the past century, look no further than Man in the Music.

Sterling

New York / London

www.sterlingpublishing.com

"The most thorough and accurate portrayal of Michael's musical life I've ever seen."

-Brad Buxer, Songwriter/Musician, Music Director for Dangerous and HIStory World Tours

“Illuminates the creative life of the greatest performer of our time…Joe shows us a time in history, the happenings of the world, and the creative energy of Michael Jackson and the team of people around him who helped create the iconic songs that propelled him to superstardom. Joe’s thorough examination includes interviews and excerpts from those most familiar with his work, offering a glimpse behind the scenes of how the magic was created…Michael’s perseverance and motivation were matched only by his desire for perfection. Joe shows that as the consummate professional, Michael’s pursuit of songwriting, dancing, producing, and directing, were all means for him to spread his ideas and visions of what the world could be… [Man in the Music] offers the most complete (and, I might add, the most accurate) look into Michael’s creative nature.”

-Matt Forger, Technical Engineer for Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory

"This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson's music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written - and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe's in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, record-breaking King of Pop. And - amazingly enough - even I learned a lot!"

-J. Randy Taraborrelli, Author of Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness

"A tribute Michael Jackson's spellbinding work more than lives up to, and more than deserves."

—Anthony DeCurtis, Contributing Editor, Rolling Stone

A MUST HAVE BOOK, FINALLY A BOOK PORTRAYING TRULY THE MAN'S MUSIC!!!

ps: JRT should not be their on the reviews lol

http://www.josephvogel.net/id90.html

Released Sept. 6, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Music-Cre...r_1_26?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298188043&sr=1-26

Another book?

I am glad to say this one seems more intersting as it will focus on MJ's body of work. And joseph Vogel is a great journalist. Looking forward to it.

I agree Memefan. This is the kind of thing that we need for Michael's legacy. I have not bought an MJ book since the 1990s, but I think I will get this one. It would be interesting to read his insights.

LOL @ JRT pretending that he's an MJ know-it-all. Go and sit in a corner, fool!

This actually sounds pretty cool. Will maybe get this once more info and reviews from fans come around.

I agree Memefan. This is the kind of thing that we need for Michael's legacy. I have not bought an MJ book since the 1990s, but I think I will get this one. It would be interesting to read his insights.

LOL @ JRT pretending that he's an MJ know-it-all. Go and sit in a corner, fool!

The nerve of that man, he just pisses me off everytime! Someone needs to call him the hell out once and for all!

This book sounds like something worthwhile getting.

Definitely another must-buy.

There's another book titled "Michael Jackson: American Master" that was published a while back and it's also about his music. It's unfortunate that I became a devoted fan only after Mike died. I ordered a lot of books on Mike from Amazon and this was one of them. Unfortunately by the time Amazon got my order, it went out of stock. There are some copies available now but at atrocious prices.

Its a great book I think focusing only on MJ's music not some filthy tabloid crap books.....It's a detailed description behind MJ's song....its meaning & message throughout all MJ's discography. Series of exploring Michael Jackson the artist through his albums and songs.

The following excerpts are taken from Man in the Music: An Album by Album Guide to Michael Jackson.

Read the Excerpt of the Book here:

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 1 :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_221278.html

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 2 (Morphine) :
A thorough song analysis of morphine
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_221797.html

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 3 (Three Hidden Gems) :
I cant help it; Human nature; Liberian Girl, all underrated!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_222860.html

Michael Jackson, Man in the Music, Part 4 (Tabloid Junkie) :
Detailed analysis of the song T.J.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_224603.html

A MUST READ MJFAM?

Last edited:
Its a great book I think focusing only on MJ's music.....a detailed description behind MJ's song....its meaning & message throughout all MJ's discography. Series of exploring Michael Jackson the artist through his albums and songs.

The following excerpts are taken from Man in the Music: An Album by Album Guide to Michael Jackson.

Read the Excerpt of the Book here:

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 1 :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_221278.html

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 2 (Morphine) :
A thorough song analysis of morphine
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_221797.html

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 3 (Three Hidden Gems) :
I cant help it; Human nature; Liberian Girl, all underrated!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_222860.html

Michael Jackson, Man in the Music, Part 4 (Tabloid Junkie) :
Detailed analysis of the song T.J.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-man-in-th_b_224603.html

MJ didn't write Human Nature. But this looks really promising...

I will definitely get the book..I think it could be a great reference piece for any MJ fan.

But we asked him early if he was able to uncover anything about "Scared of the Moon"...he said he hasn't. So, I am a bit disappointed because SOTM is THE MJ song that i know the least about and it is such a gem...sad to know the general public doesn't know about this most incredible song.

MJ was such an underrated songwriter.

Last edited:
^^^ I agree about SOTM....I've seen his tweet... maybe he didn't focus enough on "unreleased material' or he didn't feel it underrated?.....Scared of the moon is my fave too. An outstanding song!!! But i love his breakdown of the songs mentioned....a rare of most MJ's book. I can think of the other 2.....Armond White's book: "Keep Moving: The Michael Jackson Chronicles" and the Michael Jackson: American Master. These 3 are a must have for they focused on MJ's Genius.

guys we should get the word out about this book as much as possible. this will be a great read for music lovers not just mj fans to get an indept view inside mj's creative genius and how his craft came about he wans't just a singer and dancer but a storyteller whose songs has messages that is still relevant to this day i think reading this book will make people apprieciate michael more as an artist, and i hope that other will embraced all of michael's albums other than thriller as a whole b/c each of them is so different and unique even the demos that reflects mj as a versatile artists let help promote it to other guys :)

I'm so excited about this book. It's exactly what I've been waiting for, for a long time. I can't wait til it comes around in September. Finally a thorough breakdown of Michael's masterpieces from Off the Wall to Invincible and beyond. So excited :excited: !

Marvin Gaye said of young MJ: “Michael will never lose the quality that separates the merely sentimental from the truly heartfelt, "It’s rooted in the blues, and no matter what genre Michael is singing, that boy’s got the blues.”
Joe Vogel tweeted this (author of upcoming book Man In The Music)

But we asked him early if he was able to uncover anything about "Scared of the Moon"...he said he hasn't. So, I am a bit disappointed because SOTM is THE MJ song that i know the least about and it is such a gem...sad to know the general public doesn't know about this most incredible song.

MJ was such an underrated songwriter.

I'm encouraged by the fact that this author admits when he doesn't KNOW something ie he doesn't just make something up. After all, there aren't too many people who could argue with him if he did make something up...I think a lot of writers would give in to that temptation eg to make the book seem more 'complete. ! So perhaps an honest book at last...I'm REALLY looking forward to this.

I am totally looking forward to this. I haven't bought an MJ book in a long time, but I will definitely get this one when it's released. Just in time for my birthday!

This guy is highly intelligent and perceptive, you can tell by the way he expresses himself that he's very in tune with human psychology.

Finally a book about the music. About time.

I plan on buying this book when it comes out and I know that I will thoroughly enjoy it! Mr. Vogel is helping to bring the conversation about Michael back to why we know about him in the first place and why a strong universal affection for him persists to this day and I'm sure into the future. As any fan knows, Michael connected with people in a positive way through his music, dance, videos, charismatic stage performance and of course his many acts of selfless humanitarianism. Unfortunately, all that was good about Michael ended up being drowned out by those that wanted to make money off of a media invented caricature of him. A caricature that never existed except on the pages of tabloids in print and on-line. That false image is gradually being peeled away to reveal the remarkable human being that Michael's fans always knew him to be. If only that could have happened for him during his lifetime. How deeply moved he would have been. How I wish the decades long character assassination of Michael had never happened in the first place. I know my wish will never be granted and that I shouldn't dwell on what could have or should have been. What I can do is continue to learn about him, learn from him, celebrate him, defend him, and share positive stories about him. I can also be thankful that I was in the world at the same time he was and blessed to have been influenced by his positive, gentle and giving nature.

God bless you Joe Vogel and thank you for your important book. :clapping:

Last edited:
I'm encouraged by the fact that this author admits when he doesn't KNOW something ie he doesn't just make something up. After all, there aren't too many people who could argue with him if he did make something up...I think a lot of writers would give in to that temptation eg to make the book seem more 'complete. ! So perhaps an honest book at last...I'm REALLY looking forward to this.

Well, he might know a bit more about Scared of the moon....he said he had a good conversation with Buz Kohan last night. Kohan co-wrote "Scared of the moon" with MJ.

Back