Justin Bieber talked about Michael recently

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/01/10/justin-bieber-michael-jackson-v-magazine/
-Michael Jackson: “I consider Michael Jackson the best. If I could be at his level… But I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’m not saying it’s going to happen within the next three years. But hopefully by the time I’m 30, people will remember me. I think people will remember me at this point, but I don’t want people to just think of me as a teen sensation. Because I could probably just sell out, and then in two years not put out another album, and just become Justin Bieber the teen superstar. But I don’t want to be that. I want to transition, and become the greatest.”
http://www.thefablife.com/2012-01-10/justin-bieber-outlines-his-12-year-michael-jackson-plan-for-v/
And in response to the observation that MJ didn’t end up so well, personally, Bieber points out his advantage: “Michael had a really bad childhood. I was blessed with a great childhood. My mom loved me. My dad loved me. I’m now a teenager and I don’t feel like I’ve missed out on anything in my life. I’ve gotten to experience everything I possibly could. I don’t look back and think, Ugh, I wish I would have been able to do that. Maybe [Michael] missed out on a lot, so he tried to [re-live] his childhood when he was older. But I’ve got such good people around me, I’m not worried.”
http://www.vmagazine.com/2012/01/watch-the-throne/?page=2
ED You’re talking about keeping clean and making music for everybody, but a lot of the artists you look up to, like Lil Wayne, Kanye—a lot of what those guys rap about is drugs, sex, and money. So what is it that you like so much about them? Is it the music? The rhymes?

JB I can’t say I look up to them, but I definitely like what they do. I think that they’re amazing. But are they on Michael’s level? I don’t think they’re on Michael’s level.

ED Tell that to Kanye.

JB Well, Kanye is on a different level. I mean, Kanye is probably my favorite producer. He’s a musical genius. But, he’s not on Michael’s level. I think that in order to be on Michael’s level you have to reach as many people as Michael reached, and Kanye doesn’t reach as many people. No one really does.
http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2012/01/did_justin_bieber_really_compa.html
Bieber says:
"It’s different. First of all, Ali was in a different weight class, so it’s completely different. But I think it’s about making himself just as big. I mean, Michael Jackson looked up to James Brown. James Brown was an icon. And I would consider Michael Jackson bigger than James Brown. If Mayweather goes another three, four fights, and wins? Muhammad Ali lost. Mayweather has never lost in his whole career. He is like 35 years old. He hasn’t lost and people don’t give him that respect."
http://www.dose.ca/Justin+Bieber+Into+Making+Love+When+Older/5973917/story.html
"I want to be able to do what Michael did – he always sang clean lyrics – and it was always that little kids loved Michael and grandparents loved Michael."

Last edited:
I can say without shame that I dont know any of Justin's songs, and I'm not curious, because I'm way past my teens. But he's a cutie, and not dumb from what I've read here and there. I never understood how so many grown ups could spread so much contempt for that boy and his fans. Yes his fans are hysterical teenagers, good for them. Been there, done that. We would have been so much worse had we had Twitter or FB in the 80s! :hysterical: I hope they enjoy it as much as they can.

And Justin, enjoy it too. You'll never be Michael, but you chose the right role model.

He really annoys me, and it probably is only a matter of time before people forget about him, but at least he sites MJ as a big inspiration, he only ever says good things about him, can't go wrong there ;)

I don't HATE Justin, but I hate most of his music, and I don't like this attitude.

I respect what he has to say about Michael, but he needs to get some talent first if he wants to get beyond being anything other than a teen idol.

Everytime a "pop" newbie lands in the world of music they want to be the next Michael Jackson. At this point I just find it amusing, i.e. Bieber, Timberlake, Usher, Brown, [fill in the blank]. That dang Michael Jackson wannabe list is mad long. LOL!

I also find it funny that Bieber SKIPPED right over Usher Raymond, who happens to be his mentor. LOL! Oh well, I guess if you are going to strive for the top, you can't get no higher than Mr. Michael Jackson. Sorry Usher. And Sorry Bieber, because those young girls are going to grow up and move on. That's the way it usually happens, in my opinion.

Bieber's music doesn't really appeal to my age demographic but I do respect that he gives Michael the credit he deserves. I definately see Michael's influence in some of his dance moves (it also helps that Usher is his mentor). He's one of the few celeb "mj fans" that I suspect might actually know a few songs that aren't on the thriller and bad albums.

But Berry Gordy said it best when he said something like "mj isnt an artist that comes once every generation or once in a lifetime, mj is an artist that comes along only once."

Nothing wrong in striving to be the best you can possibly be - isn't that what mj was always telling people. Don't know much about beiber apart from his popularity, but he always seems to treat mj with the utmost respect so he's ok in my book!

http://www.vmagazine.com/2012/01/watch-the-throne/?page=2
ED You’re talking about keeping clean and making music for everybody, but a lot of the artists you look up to, like Lil Wayne, Kanye—a lot of what those guys rap about is drugs, sex, and money. So what is it that you like so much about them? Is it the music? The rhymes?

JB I can’t say I look up to them, but I definitely like what they do. I think that they’re amazing. But are they on Michael’s level? I don’t think they’re on Michael’s level.

ED Tell that to Kanye.

JB Well, Kanye is on a different level. I mean, Kanye is probably my favorite producer. He’s a musical genius. But, he’s not on Michael’s level. I think that in order to be on Michael’s level you have to reach as many people as Michael reached, and Kanye doesn’t reach as many people. No one really does.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2012/01/did_justin_bieber_really_compa.html
Bieber says:
"It’s different. First of all, Ali was in a different weight class, so it’s completely different. But I think it’s about making himself just as big. I mean, Michael Jackson looked up to James Brown. James Brown was an icon. And I would consider Michael Jackson bigger than James Brown. If Mayweather goes another three, four fights, and wins? Muhammad Ali lost. Mayweather has never lost in his whole career. He is like 35 years old. He hasn’t lost and people don’t give him that respect."

Well, do you expect him to diss MJ or talk shit? Of course he has to act like he has a lot of sense (not saying he doesn't in real life).

He seemed like a smart kid. At least he knew and looked up to the best, but I honestly didn't see much talent from him. Good luck!

Hey I appreciate him giving MJ props. Lots of little girls and boys are gonna hear him tell 'em who's king. They might not get the chance to know it otherwise!

Justin Bieber... It's kinda weird for me, cause this guy is a month younger than me and this huge superstar. He speaks of MJ more in a legit way. He really needs to get a great producer to work with and start writing better songs. When Mike was a teen and younger, the J5 was popular with a lot of people. I really cant listen to JB's music. He's better than copy cat Chris Brown though, to be honest that's not saying much.

He cites MJ as the GREATEST and want to follow in his footsteps. I cant find any falt in that.
Will he reach the heights of MJ. I dont think sobecuase he doesnt have the vocals or artistic
talent to do that. But I admire for having goals to try and be the best. Right now he is just
a teen heart throb with few catchy tunes. That will get old .. he has to prove himself beyond
that .. Time will tell ..

Eh, I'm not a fan. The kid doesn't seem original in his work and he seems to lack humility, from what I've seen. Maybe I'm pampered by MJ, but I expect an full-on entertaining show rather than someone looking smug while singing. Plus the numerous nudges to Michael (bringing a small, white snake to the MTV Awards, wearing a Beat It-esque jacket - according to some - on X-Factor and - from what I'm told - the entire "Baby" video being a rip-off of Michael's timeless "The Way You Make Me Feel" video). Ironic that he is disliked by a majority of his peers (at least the people I know) and is revered by the age group just below.

Eh, I'm not a fan. The kid doesn't seem original in his work and he seems to lack humility, from what I've seen. Maybe I'm pampered by MJ, but I expect an full-on entertaining show rather than someone looking smug while singing. Plus the numerous nudges to Michael (bringing a small, white snake to the MTV Awards, wearing a Beat It-esque jacket - according to some - on X-Factor and - from what I'm told - the entire "Baby" video being a rip-off of Michael's timeless "The Way You Make Me Feel" video). Ironic that he is disliked by a majority of his peers (at least the people I know) and is revered by the age group just below.
He brought a snake to the MTV awards?! Okaaaaay lol

Bieber has always idolized Michael. And for that, I can almost forgive him for putting out crappy music.

ok... I Must admit that hearing someone talk good about Michael is good but name dropping his name every time he does an interview is getting old. Its great that bieber found someone positive to look up to but come on be your own self. Dance the way you want to dance not copy someone's moves and call it your own or try to embellish them. Personally i dont like Bieber for an unknown reason there is something about that kid that doesn't sit right with me.

^Really? I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing anyone praise Michael, even if they are repeating the same thing. It's definetely better than reading negative stuff.

Also Bieber has a young teenybopper fanbase, and by constantly making references to Michael and his music, he's probably influencing his fans positively with regard to Michael.

You're totally missing what he's saying. All he is saying is he admires Michael and would like to be at his level someday, or at the very least to be remembered for something other than being a teen star, but he himself said no one ever reaches as many people as Michael does, and that no one will most likely ever reach his level, himself included.

I, for one, was very impressed with what he said. I think he totally gets it, and he does not come off as either annoying or arrogant to me. All he said is he has a dream, and that's fair enough. Sometimes, I don't get MJ fans--we complain he's underappreciated, etc. and when someone says they look up to him and want to be like him, we accuse them of saying they want to be the 'next' Michael Jackson. I did not gather that at all from Bieber's words, and I think I've got an objective viewpoint, seeing as I am neither a fan nor a detractor of his.

As for those of you who are claiming offence because he is "copying" Michael [the snake, the jacket, etc]--I see it as just his way to pay tribute to him. He never claimed he was original, nor that he was a visionary or misunderstood or anything, and he constantly talks about how much he admires and looks up to Michael, so it all makes sense to me and I don't see anything wrong with him doing those small things. It's not like he's an obnoxious prat claiming to be original and unique yet blatantly copying a myriad of other artists like some other popular figures in the mainstream...

I stand by my words--I'm pretty impressed with his insight and I enjoyed reading what he had to say. To me, he totally nailed it when describing Michael, like him or not.

Back