Inconvenient Truth (link to original thread added to post 1)

eternitys_child

Proud Member
326wilkins550x507.jpg

Latest Photo Galleries:
Related Topics
Massive ice shelf collapsing off Antarctica

March 26, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

Scientists are citing "rapid climate change in a fast-warming region of Antarctica" as the cause of an initial collapse of the Wilkins Ice Shelf. The damage got started at the end of February when an iceberg dropped off and triggered the "runaway disintegration" of a 160-square-mile portion of the 5,282-square-mile shelf.
The ice shelf, which scientists speculate has floated in the Antarctic region for hundreds of years, is succumbing to recent rises in temperature in the area--an average of 0.9 degree Fahrenheit every 10 years for the last 50 years.
This series of pictures that show the beginning of the breakup were taken by NASA's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer sensor, which flies on its Earth Observing System Aqua and Terra satellites.
Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center/NASA

c.gif
326regionmap550x502.jpg
The true-color blue area is breaking off the rest of the ice shelf. A narrow, 3.7-mile section is all that remains to protect from further crumbling, though scientists say that, with Antarctica's summer just ending, they don't expect further disintegration in the next few months.

"This unusual show is over for this season," Ted Scambos, lead scientist for the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado at Boulder, said in a statement. "But come January, we'll be watching to see if the Wilkins continues to fall apart."
Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center

326bergs550x324.jpg

The crumbled portion of the Wilkins Ice Shelf features 492-foot-wide icebergs that are crumbling into house-size blocks.

Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center/courtesy Cheng-Chien Liu, National Cheng Kung University (NCKU), Taiwan and Taiwan's National Space Organization (NSPO); processed at Earth Dynamic System Research Center at NCKU,

326satchunk550x805.jpg

The red line shows the position of the ice shelf in 2007.
Credit: British Antarctic Survey

326icebreak550x309.jpg

The Wilkins Ice Shelf breakup, as observed by scientists of the British Antarctic Survey in an overflight.

Credit: Jim Elliot, British Antarctic Survey

I am adding a link to the archived thread on global warming. I hope it works:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=830486&postcount=1

Last edited:
Re: Inconvenient Truth

**mental note**
cancel antarctic cruise

This is actually terrible and something that needs to be taken seriously. But I guess that people don't want to understand it because if they understood it, then they would have to do something to stop it, and that's not something that they are willing to do. It's simply easier to deny the problem... "Denial isn't just a river in Africa"

But I'm not gonna argue with any of the global warming sceptics. Been there, done that. I'm just saying that what’s happening right now to this planet, what we do to our planet, our only home, is very worrying for the future. It’s simply not durable.

YES and people need to stop arguing over if it's true or not and just DO SOMETHING..

the bickering is stalling any type of progress..

SOme people fight and say it's not happening but even IF they were right. It does not make it O.K. the way we polute our earth.. It does have effects.

Humans are the smartest and DUMBEST creatures.. We can build this industrial world and be stupid enough to let it kill us..

then we talk about how much greater we are then any other living thing.

We are the only creatures that kill ourselfs.. We smoke, we distroy our world, we have war, we commit sueside..

Now who is really the smart ones??

Last edited:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080605/sc_afp/nzealandkiribaticlimateenvironment_080605041611
Kiribati likely doomed by climate change: president Thu Jun 5, 12:16 AM ET

WELLINGTON (AFP) - The president of the low-lying Pacific atoll nation of Kiribati said Thursday his country may already be doomed because of climate change.

President Anote Tong said communities had already been resettled and crops destroyed by seawater in some parts of the country, made up of 33 coral atolls straddling the equator.

Although scientists are still debating the extent of rising sea levels and their cause, Tong told a press conference marking World Environment Day that changes were obvious in his country of 92,000 people.

"I am not a scientist but what I know is that things are happening we did not experience in the past," Tong said.

"We may be beyond redemption, we may be at the point of no return where the emissions in the atmosphere will carry on to contribute to climate change to produce a sea-level change that in time our small low-lying islands will be submerged," he said.

"Villages that have been there over the decades, maybe a century, and now they have to be relocated.

"Where they have been living over the past few decades is no longer there, it is being eroded."

At international meetings others had argued that measures to combat climate change would hurt their countries' economic development.

"In frustration, I said, 'No, it's not an issue of economic growth, it's an issue of human survival.'"

Under the worst-case scenario, Kiribati would be submerged by the end of this century and its people would have to be resettled in other countries, he said.

Last edited:
Anyone who has not had the opportunity to read or see "Inconvient Truth" by pultzer prize alumni Al Gore...please take the time to educate yourself...

You'll be glad you did...

Heal The World~~~"Education Is The Key"

Last edited:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/2008-06-23-globalwarming_N.htm?csp=34

NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance'
Updated 2h 2m ago | Comments36 | Recommend8 E-mail | Save | Print |

Enlarge By Brendan Hoffman, Getty Images

Climate scientist Dr. James Hansen speaks at the Green Apple Festival in April in Washington, DC. Hansen told the associated press recently: "We're toast if we don't get on a very different path."

WASHINGTON (AP) — Exactly 20 years after warning America about global warming, a top NASA scientist said the situation has gotten so bad that the world's only hope is drastic action.
James Hansen told Congress on Monday that the world has long passed the "dangerous level" for greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and needs to get back to 1988 levels. He said Earth's atmosphere can only stay this loaded with man-made carbon dioxide for a couple more decades without changes such as mass extinction, ecosystem collapse and dramatic sea level rises.

"We're toast if we don't get on a very different path," Hansen, director of the Goddard Institute of Space Sciences who is sometimes called the godfather of global warming science, told The Associated Press. "This is the last chance."

Hansen brought global warming home to the public in June 1988 during a Washington heat wave, telling a Senate hearing that global warming was already here. To mark the anniversary, he testified before the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming where he was called a prophet, and addressed a luncheon at the National Press Club where he was called a hero by former Sen. Tim Wirth, D-Colo., who headed the 1988 hearing.

To cut emissions, Hansen said coal-fired power plants that don't capture carbon dioxide emissions shouldn't be used in the United States after 2025, and should be eliminated in the rest of the world by 2030. That carbon capture technology is still being developed and not yet cost efficient for power plants.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | Washington | Congress | United States Senate | England | Earth | Atmospheric Administration | National Oceanic | Arctic | National Press Club | Gore | Rep. Ed Markey | Sen. James Inhofe | Global Warming | Hansen | Vice President | House Select Committee | Energy Independence
Burning fossil fuels like coal is the chief cause of man-made greenhouse gases. Hansen said the Earth's atmosphere has got to get back to a level of 350 parts of carbon dioxide per million. Last month, it was 10% higher: 386.7 parts per million.

Hansen said he'll testify on behalf of British protesters against new coal-fired power plants. Protesters have chained themselves to gates and equipment at sites of several proposed coal plants in England.

"The thing that I think is most important is to block coal-fired power plants," Hansen told the luncheon. "I'm not yet at the point of chaining myself but we somehow have to draw attention to this."

Frank Maisano, a spokesman for many U.S. utilities, including those trying to build new coal plants, said while Hansen has shown foresight as a scientist, his "stop them all approach is very simplistic" and shows that he is beyond his level of expertise.

The year of Hansen's original testimony was the world's hottest year on record. Since then, 14 years have been hotter, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Two decades later, Hansen spent his time on the question of whether it's too late to do anything about it. His answer: There's still time to stop the worst, but not much time.

"We see a tipping point occurring right before our eyes," Hansen told the AP before the luncheon. "The Arctic is the first tipping point and it's occurring exactly the way we said it would."

Hansen, echoing work by other scientists, said that in five to 10 years, the Arctic will be free of sea ice in the summer.

Longtime global warming skeptic Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., citing a recent poll, said in a statement, "Hansen, (former Vice President) Gore and the media have been trumpeting man-made climate doom since the 1980s. But Americans are not buying it."

But Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., committee chairman, said, "Dr. Hansen was right. Twenty years later, we recognize him as a climate prophet."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:no: It's deeply saddening to me that more people don't seem to care about this issue. There are just too many people ignorant or in denial about how important this problem is, and governments all around the world have not stepped in the way they should have. Please , if you haven't already, go watch an Inconvenient Truth and then, once you are educated about global warming, do your part to help the world in any way you can. Recycle, buy flourescent lights, sign online petitions, write letters to your state senators, etc. I really believe like the article says that it's our last chance. :timer:

:no: It's deeply saddening to me that more people don't seem to care about this issue. There are just too many people ignorant or in denial about how important this problem is, and governments all around the world have not stepped in the way they should have. Please , if you haven't already, go watch an Inconvenient Truth and then, once you are educated about global warming, do your part to help the world in any way you can. Recycle, buy flourescent lights, sign online petitions, write letters to your state senators, etc. I really believe like the article says that it's our last chance. :timer:

So do I. Every day when I walk outside and see the stars at night or feel the breeze I am so greatful for the beauty. I feel like I must enjoy it while I can because it may soon be gone.

So do I. Every day when I walk outside and see the stars at night or feel the breeze I am so greatful for the beauty. I feel like I must enjoy it while I can because it may soon be gone.

I feel the same way. Nature to me is more beautiful than anything man could ever create. I try to appreciate it whenever I can.

If anyone is interested, there is a site called Care2 that has a lot of environmental petitions. They also have a Click2Donate feature, which allows you to donate to a whole bunch of causes for free. it only takes a few minutes every day to click all of them

link to main site:http://www.care2.com/
link to click2donate main page: http://www.care2.com/click2donate/
another click to donate site: http://www.therainforestsite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=4

This little pretty orb....

0,,6109371,00.jpg

is all we have to call home :flowers:

Climate Change and Economy L.J's quoted soundbites (or if you take nothing else from this thread take this):

"Profits ... fossil fuel companies choose to spread doubt about global warming, just as tobacco companies discredited the link between smoking and cancer", says NASA scientist.

Dr Hansen said fossil energy companies were aware of the negative, long-term consequences of their business.
"In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature," he wrote.

He said world leaders had only one or two years to act before the Earth reaches a "tipping point" with major consequences to the global climate and species survival.

"We have reached an emergency situation," Dr Hansen said.

He said the US Government should not keep the proceeds from any carbon tax they may levy, but refund the money to taxpayers to help them pay for more fuel efficient technology.

The CSIRO yesterday released a report saying Australia's proposed carbon tax was nothing to fear as incomes would rise more quickly than energy prices.

LINK

An awesome site to check out is the World Environment Day Website run by the UN:

http://www.unep.org/wed/2008/english/

Back